Search Unity

What language is most trend to make website?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by leegod, Jul 23, 2016.

1. leegod

leegod

For make own custom website, mainly PC usage, but also mobile friendly too.

Main feature is similar with paypal barebone version, community and forum.

PHP? or other?

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I'd start with basic html and css. Move to php when you have that down.

Another alternative would be to use one of the myriad of prebuilt websites out there.

vakabaka likes this.
  3. Jamster

Jamster

Well HTML and CSS are a must for the layout and design of the site.

JavaScript is the goto for any dynamic content on the client side.

PHP is popular for server side, Python is a little less common, I prefer ASP.NET mainly because it means I can use C#.

And then there are hundreds of technologies to make life easier: Bootstrap, Wordpress, AngularJS, JQuery...

Here is a good place to start :)

4. MV10

MV10

Not sure what this has to do with games, but on the browser-side, jQuery as a scripting library has something like 96% market share. Nothing else even comes close. Library usage on public-facing sites:

https://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/javascript_library/all

This is marginally misleading as they don't all do the same thing, but with jQuery and plain old javascript (or if you prefer "ES") you can accomplish anything the rest of those do without a lot of pain. (I'm having this argument right now with a bunch of web-only devs who only want to play with new-and-shiny -- too much risk on an enterprise-scale project that has a probable lifespan of 10 to 15 years.)

Server-side you won't find a better solution than the .NET framework (activate flame-suppression systems). Webforms is a miserable technology but the rest of the ASP.NET stack is pretty great -- and soon getting even better with what's happening with .NET Core. However, PHP is the most popular by a long shot, I believe largely because it has very low barriers to entry and has always been free (the .NET stack is all completely free now but they're very late to the party in that regard). Anyway, deployment of server-side languages:

https://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/programming_language/all

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  5. orb

orb

Yeah, it's practically standard.

HTML5 and JS usually means using whichever framework is needed too, and jQuery is the foundation of many toolkits. It has so many useful extensions.

Depends on how you define "better". I find Go much better. Others prefer Ruby. Those two are often where Java web app developers flee when they don't decide to go for Scala/Groovy ;)

(CloudFlare and Twitch both have major Go-based systems now.)

PHP is ubiquitous. It's easiest to find a web host which supports it, and the language has cleaned up nicely lately. You also have plenty of function libraries for just about anything you can imagine, including interacting with Java services and modern JSON stuff (not hard to do, but people make the most excessive wrappers for specific services). But it's a slow language still, which is why many use Java, Ruby, C# or Go for more advanced systems. Facebook made its own compiled version of PHP, but that has very specific rules for use, so the knowledge doesn't necessarily translate fully.[/QUOTE]

Kiwasi likes this.
  6. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Not sure how extensive you want to do things but if you don't want to do like full-programming-language level of sophistication on the server side, but still want some server-side flexibility, look for a platform with 'templating'. For example Shopify is really nice and modern for opening an commerce store, with a shopping cart etc if you want that, $29/mo... but you can also get it without the cart portion for $10/mo and it has a really nice templating 'language' which lets you build the html/css output server side. Not as powerful as php and not as full featured etc, but easier.

Kiwasi likes this.
  7. Mr-GamingWatch

Mr-GamingWatch

HTML, Javascript, PHP, CSS are good starting points to learn about. jQuery is a very useful Javascript library that others have mentioned, but I'd consider that part of Javascript.

If you want something like PayPal then you're going to need some form of agreement with banks/credit card companies to charge/withdraw/deposit money into peoples accounts. You're also going to need to learn a LOT about internet security since this information is highly sensitive and will lead to many problems for you in the future if there's faults in it.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

You're better off hiring someone to develop your website for you or using existing platforms like Wordpress. Developing a website from scratch requires knowledge of many different markup and scripting languages. Just about everything else is easier by comparison.

gian-reto-alig and Martin_H like this.
  9. AndreasU

AndreasU

I'd install Wordpress and buy a fancy and responsive theme for 10 bucks. Then type in your content in the backend. Done.

Paypal plugin for WP should be free (besides, Paypal integration is not a big deal).

If you're looking for heavy customization, WP might give you trouble because it's quite ugly code-wise but i dont think you're looking for that kind of stuff.

PHP is well suited because it's so well documented. Not only via the official documentation or tutorials but via questions and answers on Stackoverflow and the like. Any question that might come up during development has already been asked and most likely been answered. Often you can just copy&paste the error message into Google and the internet will tell you how to fix it.
    Other languages dont have that kind of coverage i think.

MV10 and Ryiah like this.
  10. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Cool kids use Rails.

11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Or just embed PayPal. It's trivial to do. And you leave all of the security details to PayPal.

There are very few minor websites these days that implement their own payment systems. It's just too risky. Do you really want responsibility for handling people's credit card details?

12. orb

orb

There are very few who can, in fact. It's too easy to break the law. PCI-compliance isn't something to gloss over, so you are better off using PayPal, WorldPay and whatever.

MV10, Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.