Search Unity

What kind of game should i try to make?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deepwolf413, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Deepwolf413

Deepwolf413

Hi :)
    (If you are a skipper and don't want to read all the text, i have made the most important text in bold)

I want to make a game, and we all know a game takes time to make, especially when you are alone.

I have knowledge in C#, so i can make my own scripts, and 3d models but nothing like weapons.
    I can only make simple props that isn't so detailed.

So i can't make a game with great artwork, and story i'm not so good at making either, because they end up being something that doesn't make sense.

1). I want to make a game in 3d but nothing overwhelming.
    2). I'm not sure what kind of game to make.
    3). I'm alone making this game, so there's limitations on what i can do.
    4). I would appreciate if you could help me finding out what i should make.

That's all i think, if i forgot something i will edit the post :)

Cogent likes this.
  2. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Age, education and experience?

3. Deepwolf413

Deepwolf413

By age i suppose it means how old i am.

I am 17 and i'm a hobbyist, so i try to learn by making games, or should i call it learning projects instead.

Experience, i have made a simple dodgeball "game" some time ago, so i can make something alright, but motivation for it dropped for some reason.

PS. I'm sorry for my grammar.

Below is nothing important, if you wanna read it then you are welcome to :)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    I have made a program too, but i made it for private usage, it is a mathematic program.
    I made it so i can learn mathematics better, because i'm not so good with high multiplication numbers, i can choose the range the numbers should be like:

Default is: 0 - 20
    Custom: basically anything, right now i'm doing 0 - 200, so it chooses 2 random numbers between 0 and 200, and multiplies those 2 numbers, and has the results stored in a variable, i then compare what the user typed, and the results, and if it is correct then it picks 2 random numbers again.

It is basic indeed, but i made so you can choose what you want, like (Subtraction, addition, multiplication, and dividing) that's the only things for now i have made to the program

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Make a game you will enjoy. If necessary simplify it to ensure you can achieve it, but make sure you pick something you like to play. You will be spending a lot of time developing it and staying motivated is essential.

Merman likes this.
  5. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

You're not too young to learn coding, but you're young for Game Design. It's a deep subject hat takes a lot of diverse experiences to understand, but it can be learned. I think 32-34 is the average age someone can be called a competent game designer.

Well, this question has the same answer everywhere. Basically, people will recommend you make a "simple" game like Space Invaders, I guess so you can realize it's not so simple.

I did a platformer where you are a fire breathing baseball hunted by rogue satanic vegetables. It was simple but well received in the forum I posted it in. I was very happy that day.

In short, pick a game you can finish in less than a couple weeks. Like a FPS where the people are capsules with smiley faces. Give it a definitive scoring system, a "you lose" or "you died" screen as well as a "you win" screen.

Focus on making it fun, don't get serious or caught up in story then submit for feedback in game design.

6. Deepwolf413

Deepwolf413

Thanks, the FPS idea is good, i made similar things with the dodgeball game, it had the scoring system you describe. It also had team and opponent AI, it had bugs but it worked somewhat.

But yeah, i will try to make something, thanks again :)

I'll just have to simplify the games i play the most, and try to make something like that but simplified.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    RJ-MacReady likes this.
  7. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Over time, your idea of what is simple will evolve, to the point where things that seem impossible now are easy.

Merman and Deepwolf413 like this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

The Asset Store has some decent art if you dig around. I particularly like Manufactura K4's environment packs, but there are others with some pretty good value (3D Forge, BITGEM, Philipp Schmidt). They occasionally go on sale as well.

Deepwolf413 likes this.
  9. orb

orb

I'd recommend making systems first - getting used to controlling characters, making interaction with a game world and so on. For a jumpstart with an FPS you can't go wrong with UFPS, though. It already has a bunch of that stuff, including ladders and action-hero movement (twin baby models not included).

Starting down the K4 collecting path may have its dangers. Try to keep an eye out for sales so you don't go broke right away ;)

10. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Don't listen to this. You need to do an entire game from the planning phase is all the way through to completion on your own. Using some ready-made project is like riding with training wheels are never going to learn how to ride a bike.

calmcarrots likes this.
  11. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

If you're 17 years old and you're not an artist already, chances are that's not your calling. There's nothing wrong with using assets to spice up your project

12. orb

orb

Don't listen to this. Don't you want to make a game? ;)

zombiegorilla likes this.
  13. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

It's not making a game if you don't make it.

calmcarrots likes this.
  14. orb

orb

It is if you're building all the maps and adding gameplay features to it.

15. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

That's called modding.

calmcarrots likes this.
  16. orb

orb

Is it? That makes the asset store useless :)

17. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Unless you're making a game.

calmcarrots likes this.
  18. orb

orb

Wait, what? Now you're arguing in circles!

19. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

"There's nothing wrong with using assets to spice up your project." - me

calmcarrots likes this.
  20. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Make a virtual version of a board game, with a twist! It's a common assignment for low level game dev classes in college if your college of choice has any.

I made a chess game and introduced action points for multiple moves for each piece. It's a great learning experience, you have a chance to learn networking with a simple game, you can model some simple assets like the pieces and texture the board, etc.

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

Some of them can be pretty fun too. Like Archon.

22. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

That's interesting, and a great demonstration of the point.

23. GamerYou

GamerYou

24. inko

inko

this!

Especially when getting started its fundamental to keep a grasp over all, or at least most of the system going on. When you don't have the knowledge to make a super intricate game just don't do it. Make something simple instead. I like the idea of a board game. One of the first games I ever finished was a hot seat monopoly clone (with good ol' RPG maker2000. Those where the days...)

When using Asset store assets I'd recommend using them sparingly and stay away from total solution assets if possible. And if its not possible, try to keep them separated and let them do their thing without interconnecting them too much. That will save you hassle later on.

Oh, and @Misterselmo
    I agree with pretty much everything you say apart from that age thing in your second post. These numbers sound pretty darn arbitrary to me. Mind some explanation?

CodeerThijmen likes this.
  25. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Sure.

When you're 19, you know nothing. You can study and study, but you still know nothing. Why? Because you've experienced nothing. Knowledge without mileage is b.s. Doubt that? Why do employers prefer experience over education, if they must choose?

To be a GD you must understand life, because in order to design experiences in games, you must have an understanding of life's experiences. It's like being a comedian, nobody's going to laugh if they can't relate. Nobody's going to enjoy an experience if it's some trite, tone deaf, half-cocked poor man's imitation of someone else's imitation of something good. It has to come from somewhere, so you can know what you're trying to convey, so you can tell if you're doing it right.

If that's hard to grasp, it's only because you haven't experienced what I'm saying and so, voila. There you have it.

By 32-35 you've hopefully studied every subject and experienced loss and love and marriage and had a child, been betrayed by friends, etc. You're a mature human being. Hopefully. You "get" it. And you should be pretty damn good at whatever you do.

Now the real challenge is can you keep your sense of childlike wonder that long...

26. Cogent

Cogent

Yes!
    Exactly.
    Something you think is fun.

Pick something that excites you and you'll more likely find the motivation to actually finish the thing.

Don't let anything take the fun out of it.

27. inko

inko

@Misterselmo
    Interesting read. Sent you a pm answer on that matter to keep the thread spam free as this goes more and more off topic. If the thread owner wants me to post it here he can shoot me a pm

28. stevehbin

stevehbin

The answer, in my opinion, is simple: build a game YOU would like to play.

29. create3dgames

create3dgames

How about a simple 3d platformer, with simple 3d models. :D

30. CainenEX

CainenEX

I wanted to come on and offer you a suggestion as to you game. Seeing as that you've just begun in the wonderful world of video game development I certainly wanted to give you an idea to start.

1). I want to make a game in 3d but nothing overwhelming: Maybe you can take a que from some of the old arcade days? A missile command game is certainly not too hard to make and can be boatloads of fun. It would also make for a nice mobile app if you wanted to go in that direction. Other than that I recommend taking a look at old school platformers like Jazz Jack Rabbit or Rayman. Its all about what you do with the game play to make it fun.

2). I'm not sure what kind of game to make: Fun games don't need to be complicated (look at mario or minecraft). As I stated before a missle command game is certainly fun and easy to make. You can also take the platformer route. If your are certainly confident enough with a platformer then you can make a game like Contra.

3). I'm alone making this game, so there's limitations on what i can do: I've been in that position before (and kinda still am) but there is plenty you can do by yourself. Definitely take a stop by the asset store. I recommend looking into Playmaker and probuilder 2.0 (I've posted links to them below).

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/368
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...ve-level-design-in-unity-finally-live.169245/

4). I would appreciate if you could help me finding out what i should make: Well that depends on your skills and the time you want to invest into this. I believe my suggestions are a good place to start.

31. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Why is "game" in this thread title in quotes?

32. Deepwolf413

Deepwolf413

This thread is alive i see. Not sure, i can't remember why i put quotes around game. And i see alot of great replies too ^^

33. Deepwolf413

Deepwolf413

1). Sounds interesting ^^ But i already chose what i want to make, it is going to be a fps and survive waves of enemies, and ability to purchase new weapons. I know i can do this.

2). You are right, fun games don't need to be complicated :)

3). Well i never liked fsm or any sort of visual scripting, i prefer programming, it is easier in my opinion. ProBuilder is great, but i don't need it yet, as i use Blender to make 3d models. I do know you can create cool levels with ProBuilder very fast, but as i said. Blender is fine for now :)

PS. I do admit that i don't like visual scripting because, i don't understand it as well as i do with programming in C#

GarBenjamin likes this.
  34. prophet

prophet

I would say get a game name from here http://videogamena.me/

And then make a side scroller or a platform you find simple with that name.

35. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Nothing wrong with that. I'm the same way. It all depends on if you are a "visual person" or not. For those people, visual stuff is more meaningful and solves a problem. For people who are not it sort of complicates development. Where before we'd have graphics, sound & music assets and then just write a program to bring it all together... now we have those same things plus we have some additional things that need to be done in the Editor. You can definitely change the workflow to suit you. The past several months I've been focusing on making Unity game dev as lean & mean as I can. I just do the bare minimum needed in the editor (the overhead stuff: making a scene, making prefabs and so forth) then get the hell out of there and start actually making the game (programming it all up I mean). It works very well and is how I am doing my platform game and my new Christmas game project.

You may want to post your game over in the Game Design forum to get feedback after you have a playable area completed.