Search Unity

what kind of game i should start with ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael4life, May 26, 2016.

1. Michael4life

Michael4life

Hi, im beginner, i dont how to program or design anything, im watching a tutorials on youtube and im still learning and im working alone, i want to create a great game by myself, so what kind of game i should start that doesnt take much time, at least 4 months, please help me

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Pong.

Ony and Michael4life like this.
  3. Michael4life

Michael4life

okay, thanks

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

One of the nice things about Pong is that you can reuse the assets and scripts you make for a Breakout clone. After that you can extend it a little further and have an Arkanoid game (basically Breakout with power ups).

Ony and Michael4life like this.
  5. Michael4life

Michael4life

yeah, maybe i can add another things like music or score or something like that

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

You can also extend it to have AI, online multiplayer, !!!MULTIBALL!!!, and a whole host of other features if you keep it Pong. It's a pretty good jumping off point in general.

macdude2, Ony and Michael4life like this.
  7. Michael4life

Michael4life

yeah thats really cool, thanks

8. neginfinity

neginfinity

Tetris, frogger, snake, arcanoid, invaders, pong clone.... basic platformer. Etc.

Michael4life likes this.
  9. Michael4life

Michael4life

okay, thanks

10. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Jeez, that dedication for the rainbow text. Commendable

Back to the matter at hand. The way I learned when I first got started was just experimenting with little games like everyone else has already mentioned. Another thing that really helped me was looking at little example games that the engines release, like in my case, the little games that came with Game Maker way back when (I don't know if they still have sample games, probably), or in the case of Unity, I'm pretty sure they have a ton of little sample projects on their website.

What I'd do is look at the way they did things and would just modify the code in different places just to figure out what it did, or made little modifications to make the game do different things, just to get practice. I took the little car driving game that used to come with Game Maker and gave the car machine guns and rocket launchers, and changed the music to heavy metal. It became a very different game, ha ha ha

With Unity, I learned about that in college, so that helped, but I also learned from online tutorials as well, just like you.

Michael4life likes this.
  11. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

These folks are guiding you well. Especially on jazzing it up a bit. Once you get the basic pong done really make it "yours". What crazy thing can you do to make it unique? Maybe a backdrop of snow and ice and two seals / polar bears for paddles and a large beach ball for instance. Or maybe an alien that occasionally flies across the screen. That'll help you to get your game designer hat on.

Kiwasi and Michael4life like this.
  12. Michael4life

Michael4life

ok, thanks

13. Michael4life

Michael4life

okay, thanks

14. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I was watching jim sterlings video the other day and it actually made a good point, he basically says the reason indies do so well is because they make sure the game is simple so that nothing can F*** up

15. neoshaman

neoshaman

Don't do tetris though, you'll get sue

Also avoid title with candy, edge, scroll, farm, doodle

:D

/jk

16. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Well I mean don't publish a clone, just program it, just for practice.

Then make something original after that.

17. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Seems that Jim is another one who actually "gets it" and has a very different expectation from Indie games than he does from AAA games. He expects that simplicity in terms of overall scope, gameplay, presentation, etc. A pretty strong point he makes @ 7:31

18. Ryiah

Ryiah

You better tell that to the dozens of Tetris clones. :p

I remember that one incident with the word "scroll" with Bethesda and Mojang. I still feel like it was a publicity stunt.

19. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

By who though?

Remember that time when at least 6 companies had copyright on Tetris, and none of them was the person who made the game?

You can make games that aren't yours and sell them, as long as it's the 80s.

20. neoshaman

neoshaman

I think the tetris thing has been settle long ago around Alexis pajitnov, nintendo had to remove the rom of the gb version to let place to worse version by a third party who got the license.

21. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Yeah, Alexis locked it down in the 90s when he finally got his hands on it again and formed The Tetris Company. By then though he had already missed out on the peak of the hype train and Nintendo (And a bunch of other companies) had already made the lion's share of the profits off of the game.

I was more joking about that completely insane situation before that in the 80s, it's been dealt with since then.