Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best Source Code Editor for making games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by computertech, May 29, 2016.

1. computertech

computertech

What is the best Source Code Editor for making games? Not so sure is it Atom or Sublime Text. Or there all are the same and have no true answer.

Kgamexbox likes this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

There's no true answer. Whichever does the job for you is the one that is the best. Personally I love Visual Studio.

3. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Sublime Text is pretty awesome, I use it for all my C++ programming. I prefer an IDE for C#/Unity, though. Would use Visual Studio for it if I had Windows, but I'm on a Mac and so stuck with MonoDevelop. (Or Xamarin Studio for non-Unity C# programming, which I think is quite nice actually.)

Kgamexbox, Martin_H and computertech like this.
  4. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I use Visual Studio and C# with Unity. I've pretty much always used it for almost anything, including C++ coding things with the Irrlicht engine years ago. The only time I wasn't using it was for GameMaker(GML) because it isn't directly compatible(and GM has in internal editor), and a bit when I messed with QBasic(showing my age here, I'm over 30 which isn't all that old really).

The other guys have it right though. Many people agree with me on using Visual Studio. It works great, integrates well with Unity(especially with the VS tools installed), and it is free for most people. But, there are some people that have other preferences. There is of course nothing wrong with that. I don't expect everybody to use the same thing that I do, rather I expect you to use whatever feels best for you and your situation, budget, etc...

5. neginfinity

neginfinity

There's no such thing. Use whatever works for you.

Monodevelop that is bundled with unity is sufficient, even with all the bugs.

angrypenguin, Martin_H and Kiwasi like this.
  6. Ony

Ony

Notepad++

If I'm not at my computer then a napkin will also do.

Kgamexbox, ZJP, angrypenguin and 4 others like this.
  7. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Textmate2 for me.

ramand and Ony like this.
  8. computertech

computertech

I am also a mac user too that I got stuck with only using my mac computer. I also want to try playing with Javascript to build a rough webpage with some codes that is not really a game related thing with the unity MonoDevelop source code editor. Can Xamarin Studio program and make a simple WEBPAGE? Xarmarin Studio seems to adverts that Xamarin Studio will only make iOS and OS X games or only making the video game and app stuff like how the Xcode works. I am planning to download Xcode first then download Xamarin Studio after. But, it seems like I am downloading a wrong program, because Xcode and Xamarin Studio seems like it does not make a webpage.

I have tried to get a Javascript file from this video link by copying and pasting the website code to the Xcode. But, I do not think Xcode is a regular Source Code Editor. So, I think I will need Sublime Text source code editor instead of using the Xcode. I think I already know that Javascript is not a downloadable language. But, you will need copy and paste codes inside your source code editor to create a Javascript language. Somehow, it is not working when I am trying to make a Javascript language inside Xcode.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  9. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

I'm not entirely sure about web programming, but I would say that it does any kind of C# programming. It has native API bindings (through the Xamarin platform) to iOS, OS X and Android. You don't have to use them. Works with latest .NET/Mono. Works with things like MonoGame. I have no idea about JavaScript though. Seems to be fairly C# oriented. Maybe ASP.Net? I'm not the one to ask for anything related to the web!

10. neginfinity

neginfinity

Why not just grab vim/emacs in this case?

Either way, if it is "not unity related", look for any programmer's editor with syntax highlighting. That's all you need for javascript. Heck you can even work without syntax highlighting.

GarBenjamin, Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  11. Socrates

Socrates

"Real programmers use a magnetized needle and a steady hand."

Or butterflies...

Edit: Gah, got so focused on the joke, forgot to leave my real answer.

As stated above, there is no best. Try out several and pick the one that works well for you and lets you get the most done without driving you crazy at the same time.

Kgamexbox, Kiwasi and Ony like this.
  12. computertech

computertech

How do I run this Javascript after typing in my codes? I am trying to make a simple webpage pop up text message only. Did I did something wrong or I am missing a step? I kind of copied the steps from this website link. https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-run-JavaScript-code
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. <html>
    2. //message
    3. <script>
    4. alert ('message\nmessage');
    5. </script>
    6. </body>
    7. </html>

13. neginfinity

neginfinity

-_-

You can't "run" html. You open it in a browser, and reload it.

Google for some tutorials.

Ony, Martin_H and Ryiah like this.
  14. computertech

computertech

Nevermind, I have fixed it. I just need to save as .html file instead of .js javascript file inside Sublime Text source code editor. I think I already know that html file does not really make the games. I was only trying to play around the javascript to make a webpage for fun.

I have just finish my first successful coding project that is not me always doing a MEL scripting again.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Ony likes this.
  15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

There's no true answer because they're all different. It's the Spaghetti Sauce principle.

Ony and Ryiah like this.
  16. iamthwee

iamthwee

I vote for sublime

17. darkhog

darkhog

Emacs.

TunaAndAHalf likes this.
  18. ZJP

ZJP

NotePad ++

Ony likes this.
  19. Ryiah

Ryiah

He may want to preserve his sanity. Last I looked into it I came to the conclusion it was the Blender of text editors. :p

Socrates, Ony and JasonBricco like this.
  20. Murgilod

Murgilod

I like Visual Studio Code quite a bit. It'd be nice if Unity got proper first-party integration for it on platforms like OSX where the pack-in option is Monodevelop.

angrypenguin likes this.
  21. tiggus

tiggus

Depends on your background, some of us grew up with vi as our main editor :)

22. Socrates

Socrates

I am one of those folks who used VI extensively in college, back when everything was on terminals in a big computer lab. Having used numerous editors since, I would definitely never want to go back to most of the editors of that day.

The one exception is the editor I used back then to start all programs and the editor I still use today to start all programs: Pen and paper. I still find it easiest to lay out my initial structure and even psuedocode out the design somewhere else before ever approaching the keyboard.

On a tangential thought: From all the stories I've heard, I am very glad I missed the days when your "editor" was what you made your punchcards with...

Kiwasi, Ony, GarBenjamin and 2 others like this.
  23. tiggus

tiggus

For large programs where it is useful to jump around a lot amongst multiple files I agree. When I am writing a single script or making a minor change I usually find myself still firing up vi since it is so quick and I love the shortcuts to jump around.

24. computertech

computertech

Is usually the too easy online coding tutorial for kids is teaching the coding in a kind of a wrong way? Because...

Khan Academy will not work in the real life like this...
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. fill(255, 255, 0);
    2. rect(0, 0, 300, 300);
    https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/hour-of-code/hour-of-drawing-code/p/coloring-with-code

But, it must be like this to work in the real life...
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. fillStyle="rgb(255,255,0)";
    2. fillRect(0,0,300,300);
    This code is only for filling the colour.

This is my code example of adding the colours that it will work inside a .html file to make a website.
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. <!DOCTYPE html>
    2. <html>
    3. <body>
    5. //create a canvas
    6. <canvas id="myCanvas" width="1000" height="600" style="border:1px solid #000000;">
    7. </canvas>
    9. <script>
    11. //script adding the varibles to your canvas so you can add the objects into your canvas
    12. var c=document.getElementById("myCanvas");
    13. var ctx=c.getContext("2d");
    15. //script adding objects into your canvas
    16. //rgb color code
    17. ctx.fillStyle="rgb(255,255,0)";
    18. ctx.fillRect(0,0,300,300);
    20. </script>
    22. </body>
    23. </html>

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  25. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'll give you that their method of teaching JavaScript is lacking, but do you know the real reason why the code wouldn't work for you? They're using additional unmentioned libraries along with JavaScript. If you view the source for the page you'll see them referenced. One of those libraries has the function you mentioned not existing.

If someone wants to teach JavaScript with the aid of utility libraries then they really should mention and give links to those libraries so that they can be used outside the tutorials. Otherwise it just causes confusion like we're seeing here.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Martin_H, Ony and GarBenjamin like this.
  26. computertech

computertech

Ya, I already know some of their code does not exist. But, I am just scared of learning something wrong like from the Khan Academy, if there is a lot beginner resource learning problem like this. Does most of the online beginner resource usually have problems like this? Or is it more stable and better to buy more book resources that is more reliable and have more reliable online resources like the http://www.w3schools.com website.

27. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If being wrong or misguided bothers you so much you should probably find a physical classroom somewhere. Being self taught often involves sifting through a lot of bad learning resources.

Socrates, angrypenguin, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  28. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, which is nasty because when you're looking to learn about something you don't have the knowledge to properly evaluate how good a source is. I'd suggest either doing courses from reputable institutions, or finding reputable books on the topic to learn from. Rather than evaluating them yourself I'd suggest asking people who are already successful in the area in question. (Eg: people who are experienced enough to be helping others, rather than looking for help.)

That said, don't let the potential of bad material put you off giving things a go. It really doesn't matter if you do something a "bad" way in most computing topics as long as you get things done. It might be slow or sub-optimal, but you'll still learn a lot from it, and next time you can do better.

One thing I do suggest is finding sources that explain background information, why things work how they work, in addition to how to get stuff done. I'd question the value of sources that gloss over that stuff, because programming isn't just about "writing code", it's about "using computers to solve problems" and understanding how they actually work is an important part of that.

ramand, Ryiah, Socrates and 1 other person like this.
  29. HelenGreene

HelenGreene

I think visual studio C# is best.

30. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

I think the correct term for that is IDE(integrated development environment). For me the best is Visual Studio, but strongly because of a plugin called Reshaper

31. Kgamexbox

Kgamexbox

Love your response

Ony likes this.
  32. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

VS has been my favorite since I first tried Visual C# Express back in 2005.