Search Unity

What if you had access to unity pro on a friends PC but I bought 1 month license to release a game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WalkingDead, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WalkingDead

WalkingDead

Ok hear this scenario guys.
    Lets say I got access to use Unity Pro instead of free. A friend let me borrow his laptop with Unity Pro. And I used that to create the games with post processing effects and all the bells and whistles etc that free lacks.

And a month before I am ready to sell a game, I buy a 1 month license here for $75 and cancel the subscription after that.
    This means I could very well only spend $75 on unity pro right?
    Could this work? or even developing in unity free and purchase license one month in advance and enable all the effects of the pro feature?

tell me what you guys think its a last and desperate attempt of being able to use Unity for free before abandoning for Unreal Engine 4 which I already bought for $20. I want to give unity a chance but its simply too expensive for a student. And I rather not waste time learning all this on my journey only to realize in the end it was never worth it.

Free unity lighting effects are horrid compared to pro version. It just makes no sense when compared to UE4

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Subscription is 12 months for Unity chief, not going to happen.

3. WalkingDead

WalkingDead

oow yeah I just saw it on their FAQ

Man that sucks, ow well guess I have no choice but to stick with UE4. Unity has no room for the hobbyist or student!!
    Epic is so much generous they really do care about poor people etc bringing their wonderful million dollar engine to the masses for almost free and the addition of 5%. Thats really generous of them I think 5 is too little they should ask for more than that. I had no idea Epic was such a charitable company!!

As an unemployed student I simply cannot afford Unity at all. And when you consider free version and even if you add in the AAA quality by other means it becomes so slow according to captain science user on the forum that its not even remotely close to worth it and its not something anyone would ship with a final product.

People say Unity is the cheapest but the truth is its the opposite :(

Quite honestly it costs a fraction of the price to upgrade a PC and buy UE4 than to pay for unity which costs $1500.

4. orb

orb

Now you're just trollin'. If you make enough to live off from a UE4 game, you've spent as much as a Unity licence costs (going by an average of living costs around the world).

Are you even able to *make use of* the extra graphical features in UE4? It's not just a case of slapping some shaders on it and calling it a night. There's a lot to game design, like the art & design portion ;)

5. WalkingDead

WalkingDead

he hee yeah we know they ain't charity. lol but admittedly their offer is hard to turn down.

i just didnt want to waste a couple years learning Unity when there is better offerings like UE4 out there now. But I had some hopes left that maybe it would have been possible to get the pro features. I just wanted to give it one last shot here since I know now this thread is completely useless if you were to ship a unity game commercially

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/in...uality-post-process-fx-to-unity-indie.198568/

It was explained by user captain science it would never work for complex scenes and would bring any pc to a crawl hence defeating the whole purpose of unity as a backward compatibility engine.

I just wanted to make sure I tried every single option before having to give up on unity.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

You'd have to make $30,000 per platform to break even with Unity's costs. Given enough platforms it is quite easy to make enough to live off of without hitting the break even point.

Cogent and kaiyum like this.
  7. Meltdown

Meltdown

Answer this, exactly what kind of game do you want to make?

UE4 right now is suited to certain games, Unity better for everything else.
    What kind of game do you want to make and which platforms do you want to publish to?

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah. No.

Amon and schmosef like this.
  9. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.