Search Unity

What does "Refresh case sensitivity failure" mean

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SpaceMammoth, Nov 24, 2013.

1. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

"Refresh case sensitivity failure"

Am seeing it on a new laptop, I've not attempted a build on this specific laptop before, but is more likely to be something I've done in getting the project on there.

Unity 4.3 on Windows 8.1, building for Desktop.

I just need to understand what it means, exactly what is it complaining about. There is a couple of old mentions of it elsewhere on the internet, but nothing that seems useful here.

2. hotnindza

hotnindza

I just got into this "problem". Those are Thumbs.db files that Windows usually make in any folder with pictures, and Unity3d then automatically makes .meta files for them (Unity3d makes .meta file for every file in the project).

I just deleted all Thumbs.db, and all Thumbs.db.meta files from all the folders in the project and everything works fine.

Gottcha-Pro likes this.
  3. Radivarig

Radivarig

I had this on arch linux for .git, once I moved it to pure project folder (next-to/out-of Assets) no more error.

4. AnorZaken2

AnorZaken2

In my case I found a file only named ".meta" with nothing before the dot. Deleted it and the problem went away.

5. SBull

SBull

I'm having a similar issue with this. I recently upgraded to 4.6 and am getting errors. There seem to be Thumbs.db and Thumbs.db.meta files all over my project, but when I look in one of the folders the console leads me to, there is no such file there. Do I have to change a setting somewhere to be able to see them?

EDIT: I figured out how to find them. For those who don't know, if you go into Unity and go to Edit/Project Settings/Editor then change the Version Control from Hidden Meta Files to Visible Meta Files it will allow you to see/delete .meta files.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  6. WARW0LF

WARW0LF

i had these errors, quite a lot, its unity bugging out, for some reason unity refuses to fix this, i had 3 refresh failures, 2 disappeared magically on their own, the third i had to close unity, open files in explorer, delete the meta file of offending file, reload the project in unity, trying to delete the meta file while unity was open did not work, hope this helps someone

PEZO19 and bphillips76 like this.
  7. PEZO19

PEZO19

Same as W4RW0LF mentioned: deleted the .meta file (referenced in the error) while Unity was NOT OPEN (completely closed!)

8. ailuropoda0

ailuropoda0

The same error happens when there are '[Not_existing_file_name].meta' files.