Search Unity

What do you think about Speedtree system integrated with unity ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Developer007, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Developer007

Developer007

you can post your idea about that .....
    Some screenshot of speedtree :

then did we can make a Game like Crysis 3 with it ? and what trees used in CryEngine 3 ?

Post you idea`s guys ........

2. Developer007

Developer007

3. Developer007

Developer007

another question ? : are you think speedtree system in unity will come with custom windzone ... ?

4. Developer007

Developer007

i hope they open unity speed tree assetstore , for speedtree only .

5. Whippets

Whippets

*looks at screenies from Cryengine, then looks back at Unity Terrain, and bursts into tears*

6. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

They better provide a nice, net set of vegetation shaders also. Otherwise, it will only look half as nice.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

CryEngine trees and veg are usually done by hand or using a tree editor that will export to .FBX. Speedtree doesn't work with CE which is a huge shame, SpeedTree has upped it's game over recent years and looks far better than it originally did.

From using SpeedTree before through various channels like UE3 and UDK etc. it does support custom bending (Wind) and LOD but I'm not sure if it will support Unity wind zones?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  8. Whippets

Whippets

@ShadowK - I'm hoping for a new scriptable windzone system for the new terrains (as and when). So much we want is at least on the horizon now, if not actually at our finger-tips.

9. mgear

mgear

10. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

You can access the windzones with reflection at least.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

12. Developer007

Developer007

i really hope next Demo from unity will come with speedtree scene it will be great .

13. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

I don't have access to that link right now, and I'm not sure what you mean. Could we edit the wind settings for the models in unity without buying speedtree?
    They will react to windzones like the current trees do?

Thanks

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

From memory, you set up LOD and wind properties in the SpeedTree modeller then export it to the engine as a *Speedtree file. So you create wind (Bending) properties for every individual tree. From what I'm reading on their website this is still the case, although I'd be interested if anyone pops in from Unity and could tell us if SpeedTree will work with existing windzones.

15. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

The concern I have with not being able to define the wind settings of a model after importing into unity (if that's the case), is that you might not have any consistency when buying speedtree models on the assetstore. Two trees that look like they should react the same in a breeze, one is flailing, the other is barely moving, because they are from different authors?

Deleted User likes this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

A decent concern, I would pony up for the full speedtree editor. It's soooo easy to use and it's great not just for trees but grass meshes too.

17. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Well, talk about a pricing scam... EU4 people can get the exact same thing for $19/m, but we have to pay $495? The the biggest load of BS yet...

18. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

You can also manipulate the wind strength by rotating the Wind object up and down. When it looks 100% up or 100% down there's no wind "generated".

19. Pix10

Pix10

I'm a SpeedTree 7 user... wind is cooked in modeller and can be exported as either deformations (point cloud), bones or a combination. Bones are for cinematics only. I don't see why you won't be able to control the level of wind in zones, even if you have to implement them yourself. Anyway, the modeller is exceptionally good and as far as I'm aware the Unity modeller will be the same as the full blown one, just with the cinematic & studio stuff disabled/removed (no FBX export for instance... specific Unity format).

Vic, UE4 people have to sub seperately. It's not included, and final pricing for Unity is yet to be announced. When I spoke them last, they were clear that nothing is set in stone, they're trying to react to a very fluid situation what with UE4 pretty much dropping out of the sky and every indie dev and their dog declaring everything in life should be free. (/sarc ;)).

SememeS likes this.
  20. Ryiah

Ryiah

This is one of those situations where I would be strongly tempted to save up for the full modeller instead of going with a subscription plan. SpeedTree is very easy to work with and could easily be used to make foliage other than trees.

The biggest catch with the subscription plan for UE4's SpeedTree modeller though is that it is designed solely for UE4's pipeline. It'll be interesting to see if the offering for Unity developers will have this limitation.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  21. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

22. Ryiah

Ryiah

Thanks. Though it is odd that it says "created/edited" since I would think you'd at least be able to take what you made in the Unity SpeedTree modeller and put it into the UE4 SpeedTree modeller. Using whatever internal format they have.

23. Ryiah

Ryiah

In which case, unless I were planning to use SpeedTree quite a lot, I would probably prefer a subscription plan.

24. derkoi

derkoi

What if I already own SpeedTree Studio, Is it compatible with Unity 5 or would I need to purchase another $495 licence?

25. Pix10

Pix10

You'll need the Unity modeller, as it exports Unity specific files. ST Studio and Cinema won't export to game engines in any form, unless you're into SDK territory (and AAA pricing/licensing).

I've been told that SpeedTree for Unity will be able to read Studio's tree .spm format, so you can pass from Studio->Unity that way, but take that with a big pinch of salt as u-turns appear to be quite popular these days.

26. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

A few weeks ago, Epic was broadcasting a SpeedTree discussion with the IDV guys. It does contain a bit of marketing blah, but they also show off some tech, workflow and provide a brief history about the beginning of SpeedTree. I really enjoyed the video, so here is the link if anyone is interested:

The talk starts at 11m35s: youtube video here

shkar-noori likes this.
  27. chris.king.st

chris.king.st

Hey guys,

We haven't disclosed much about our Unity 5 offering since GDC. Just like you, we're at the mercy of the Unity 5 release date and have no power to bring it closer.

In the meantime, we've updated our pricing of the SpeedTree Modeler for Unity 5 on our website: http://blog.speedtree.com/2014/07/speedtree-modeler-for-unity-5-pricing/. It's our hope that you'll find it more favorable, but we understand that we can't be all things to everyone.

We're very excited about bringing a full integration to all Unity users and we understand that there are plenty of questions. Some we can answer ahead of the release, some we can't. We welcome all questions and input via email at unity@speedtree.com. Also feel free to visit our forum to begin discussions (if you're a first time poster, don't despair if your post doesn't appear immediately -- it has to be moderated manually).

Kind regards,
    -Chris
    (SpeedTree guy)

Developer007 likes this.
  28. Whippets

Whippets

Hey Chris, thanks for the info - it's a really positive move to have you post on the Unity forums. Looking forward to testing ST in Unity5

29. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks Chris, I'm really looking forward to using SpeedTree in my current and upcoming projects.

30. Developer007

Developer007

good job , i hope tree came with same wind-zone inside speedtree Cinema or speedtree unity modeler

31. Developer007

Developer007

Oh , speed tree changes the world ;p

32. Developer007

Developer007

old unity ;p

new unity ;o

33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Ah $19 a month. We'd prefer a fixed license fee and to buy the app tbh. $19 a month means we will probably only license it in bursts rather than keep 2.5 years worth... still cool though, esp if it's updated regularly.

34. derkoi

derkoi

It's also available for $495

• Unity 5 users may purchase a license of SpeedTree Modeler for Unity 5 at $495/seat for creating their own trees or editing those they purchase from the asset store.

35. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi there,

We are considering using speedtree for our game but we need more information on it like:

What include in the 19$ monthly subscription, i mean what leaf or tree library is include in or do we have to purchase every type of tree we need as package?

Can we build our own from scratch in the 19$ package?

How does speedtree cope with script attach to tree and prefab them to paint over terrain?

Thank for any answers to these questions.

Regards Peter

36. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

The $19 sub is everything that is included with the standard version. The onl;y different now is they only seel them for specific engines. ie: Unity or Unreal. If you want both, you need to buy both. Also, if you want SpeedTree for any other engine, it is $15,000 USD

37. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

That options is not available in their store

38. Dannyoakes

Dannyoakes

Correct, we only offer the subscription modeler for $19. $495 would equal paying for the subscription for around 26 months anyway, why not just subscribe?

1. You get the same sample trees and associated materials from the free pack in the asset store. You can create your own materials, leaves/bark/etc and use them in the Modeler.

2. You can build completely from scratch in the modeler. Trees, grass, bushes, flowers. It's up to you.

3. If I understand your question, SpeedTrees are imported and can be placed just like any other Unity asset.

Did that help?

39. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi Danny,

Thank for replying and you answer almost every questions we had except for the capacity for speedtree to handle script and being able to make them as prefab to use terrain engine to paint them over.

I know that so far you cannot put a script on a tree to be able to cut it as an ex; and then painting them over the terrain, they are some workaround i saw on certain posts but will speedtree have any shortcoming regarding handling script?

Regards Peter

40. Teila

Teila

I really like the Speedtree models and purchased the modeler. However, some of the hype seems to be untrue. For example, we were told we could put a tree in the modeler, randomize it to get get several variations of the original model.

This works great, but when I put them in Unity, I get leaves floating around the tree, not at all connected to the model. It looks terrible.

Also, shadows away from the sun are black and no amount of shadow adjusting in Unity fixes this. Again, looks terrible. I am not sure how to fix this in the modeler either.

I have not found the tutorials adequate for the modeler or for fixing issues with the trees in Unity.

All in all, I am disappointed. I went to the Speedtree forums hoping to find some help, but there is little there about Unity and what is there simply don't address my two issues. I would post, but it mostly seems like the forums there are dependent on other users answer each other's questions and some questions from users remain unanswered.

While the models I purchased look good for the most part other than the black shadows, the modeler seems to be only good for making your own, not making variations.

41. Whippets

Whippets

What's the problem with black shadows Teila? From Developer007's first and last image above, the shadows for speedtree look ok

42. Ostwind

Ostwind

Those images are not from Unity but from other engines like CryEngine or Frostbite :)

43. Whippets

Whippets

ok, cool :) Although the bottom one is titled "new unity"

44. Ostwind

Ostwind

Yeah he probably named it just as a future wish. I can see the Caspian border tower in the top left so it's from Battlefield 3 :rolleyes:

45. Teila

Teila

I have a feeling the black shadows are a Unity issue since I put in a thatch roof with transparency and it was also black.

Floating leaves though are Speedtree's issue.

46. elbows

elbows

Please post a screenshot of your shadow problem. Because I've been using Speedtrees in Unity for months, and I doubt I had that problem, but want to see the problem before being sure. Realtime shadows or something baked?

47. Dannyoakes

Dannyoakes

'Floating leaves though are Speedtree's issue.[/QUOTE]

Hey Telia, Sorry to hear you're having some issues with SpeedTree and Unity.

As far as the floating leaves go, there's a couple tweaks that probably need to be made to get that working right, but just to be clear, do you randomize it and see floating leaves in the Modeler? Or do you see the twigs in the Modeler and then when you export it the leaves disappear? Either way I recommend bringing this up on our forum, there isn't much related to Unity because it's just been released and our user base has been very small up till now. Any questions you have they should be able to answer in depth over there. The more people we have asking questions there, the more answers e

As far as the lighting goes, that doesn't sound like a SpeedTree issue :)

For what it's worth, Dice used SpeedTree in BF3 :)

shkar-noori likes this.
  48. Teila

Teila

I did search the forum and found no answers. I will try posting there.

I see the floating leaves in the Modeler. I put in the River Birch, hit randomize and the trees created had floating leaves. Sometimes, I had to rotate the trees in Modeler to see the floating leaves. I tried them in Unity anyway, hoping it would not show in Unity but it was just as bad there.

Thank you for responding.

BTW, the lighting issues were helped by going deferred but now I am having problems balancing the brightness of the trees, which tend to be too bright, with the terrain. I am sure it is simply inexperience with the PBR shaders and I will hopefully figure it all out eventually.

49. Dannyoakes

Dannyoakes

Yeah, we haven't had many people post about Unity specific problems, however, the modeler is identical to the UE4 modeler and very similar to other variations. But post away, our artists can help you out better than I can. It might be as simple as a few parameters that need to be adjusted to make sure that the layer before the leaves is visible with each iteration.

50. Whippets

Whippets

I hope it all works well in forward too, and in linear colorspace... I should go try really XD