Search Unity

What do I do with my great game Idea?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by BingoBob, Feb 26, 2016.

1. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I still want to make a JRPG...and now I have years of experience. Holy heck. Sadface.

ADNCG and Martin_H like this.
  2. LiquidCrystal

LiquidCrystal

Hey, I wouldn't mind getting some ideas for myself, but you can still recruit a team of developers, and put them to work, make the game cross platform, and publish it to the world under a company name. Good luck!

3. BingoBob

BingoBob

Here is an idea for ya. I've been reading about Microsoft Hololens and the Google Project Tango. The future of apps is going to be this augmented reality. If you can find a way to use an average tablet to map a room either with dot matrix or the cameras laser focus. you could make some cool PVP LARPing apps. or imagine your kid walking around the house using the tablet like a magnifying glass and searching for Waldo, or Carmen Sandiego.

4. LiquidCrystal

LiquidCrystal

Yep, I'll try.

5. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

No it is not.
    It's a funny little feature, a nice add-on-top function like 3D movies or the good old head tracking systems for games/simulations. But saying "THE future of app is going to be this AR" is wrong.

I know kids nowadays grow up with all this tech, mobile devices etc. OK but reading this: frightening.
    If the (near) future is going to be like this, the world will face greater problems than Waldo being lost.

What the future will bring, and what *modern game design* in general is aiming for right now is: easier accessibility for everyone / a larger target audience. games being more casual, easier to pick up on the one end but more and more refined when you get into it. I don't know if a lot of people would agree with me as this is my opinion And I have a hard time describing this but I am sure that VR will never be more than a fun feature to play around with for some limited time as long as people have to strap a big box to their head.

Edit: I just realized I failed to differentiate between VR and AR. nevertheless I leave my original post above unedited. both AR and VR are nice features, but atm nothing seems to 'beat' the glorious simplicity of a touch screen. even Apple's 3D touch is criticized because it just complicated things.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    MV10, theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  6. KirkDesign

KirkDesign

Bingo Bob,

I'm with you in some ways. I often think of ideas for new games or experiences out of my own interest. Sometimes I get so excited about an idea and I start exploring ways in which I can create this experience. What I usually find out, is that I never have all of the skills needed to produce what I envision. This can be discouraging of course, but what it lead me to was finding others who are good at things that I am not. And through the process of connecting with others, I've also found that I enjoy talking about games, playing games with others, and experimenting / playing other peoples games concepts or mods and critiquing that experience more than I enjoy making assets for games. You may find some similar things about yourself once you dive into a community, such as you've done here in Unity Community. So have you thought about being more exploratory in nature rather than executive? Surround yourself with people who enjoy making games, share and critique your experiences. Dive into Unity and a find a specialized niche you would like to explore. Make a mod and share it with others. Seek out local game companies and see if they are looking for testers. Essentially, get involved first, see what you find out about yourself and games. What will your trajectory be?

Have you checked out a local Unity group you may meetup with in person?
    User Groups

I'm an educator, here's where I'm coming from with my advice to you:
    John Seely Brown on Motivating Learners (Big Thinkers Series)