Search Unity

What can i use in my asset? Melee combat system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by HKSpadez, Oct 17, 2014.

1. HKSpadez

HKSpadez

Hey guys,

I been looking into making an asset which would replicate a melee combat system similar to dark souls since i noticed a lack of assets which support melee combat in the asset store but I was wondering what I was allowed to use..

I'm a coder so if possible I'd like to avoid having to make my own models but if I dont. what am i allowed to use in my asset for charcaters/weapons/animaitons? would i have to make my own or are there any animations/chars/models/weapons on the asset store I would be allowed to include in my own asset?

2. HKSpadez

HKSpadez

To clarify. I know I cannot use assets made by other people. but what about free assets like unity's robot dude?

or photon.. if i'm going to go over netcode in my asset?

3. primus88

primus88

What is marked as a free asset can be used in any other package (just take a look at all the animation / ragdoll systems on the asset store for example). Also, you can use any other payed model if you get permission from the person that made it (like Zerano suses models from Mister Necturus). Posibilities are endless, you just have to stat making friends or get creative with the free stuff :)

I don't know about Dark Souls, but I would really be interested in a melee system close to Mount and Blade :)

4. HKSpadez

HKSpadez

yeah. i was hoping to make a melee system where u simply specify 4 things in a XML file or in the inspector per attack

-animation
    -Input for attack
    -hitbox
    -active frames (leave at 0 if u want the hitbox to be active throughout the entire attack)

also. if i could include photon (which i wasnt sure about). I would include netcode and look into handling lag compensation for lag sensitive games

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

Just want to clarify that you can use free assets created by Unity Technologies, but not free assets from other developers without their permission.

You can do like Zerano does with RPG Kit and provide instructions for importing Photon from the Asset Store. Or make arrangements with Exit Games to package Photon directly in your product.

6. gonzosmemoirs

gonzosmemoirs

Did you ever end up releasing this asset? I'm very interested in seeing how you made out.

7. HKSpadez

HKSpadez

hey gonzo. thanks for the interest! i am working on several projects right now and after finding out about what I can or can't use it will take me a little while to finish this project. Going to have to replace certain models and learn maya to make some custom animations to show how to use/do certain things with the asset.

Maybe early 2015 is what i'm aiming for.

8. snipeorigin

snipeorigin

How is that coming along? I think it would be a great asset to the unity community,

I'd pay money for a Dark Souls esk combat system.

9. HKSpadez

HKSpadez

hey man. i started working on this a little bit, but i stopped when i couldn't figure a way to make it dynamic enough for people to just plug in their animations and it just works. if anything it would just be a well documented example/tutorial that you could use as a foundation and i wasnt sure if people would even want that so i stopped this for now.

10. brandoncluff

brandoncluff

Hello! I am the gonzosmemoirs (new login) that messaged you in 2014... are you still working on this? I've learned a lot about c# programming and 3d modelling but animation is my next thing to conquer. I'd like to see how this is coming to study (or help if needed). Thanks!