Search Unity

What are some great assets for FPS game ?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by bhavinpanara22, May 28, 2016.

?

Do you think FPS games still have any market ? Specially in mobile ?

1. YES

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. NO

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. May be, if game is AAA quality

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. Yes, but not on mobiles

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  5. Yes, but not on PC & web

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

Hello,

I am interested to know, what are some great assets on Unity Asset Store for FPS game.
    I am interested in everything that can be used in FPS game. Like Art, Programming, Networking, Music, Level Designing, everything.

Here are some of my picks.

- UFPS
    - EasyTouch or UFPS mobile add-on for mobile controls
    - Universal SoundFX
    - Photon Networking
    - Stan's assets for native things.

Thanks.

2. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

ufps + mobile add one will have very smooth controls, Inventory pro from @jorisshh and Dialogue system from @TonyLi these few assets give you most of what you need to build lot of content arround

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

UFPS Mobile add-on has some negative reviews. That says, it's not supported with UnityUI.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

@ironbelly has been producing some top quality fps assets lately. I'd surely look closely at there offering - if I was developing a fps game.

ironbelly likes this.
  5. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

yes but its works well and its smoothest fps controller for mobile you will ever found

6. TonyLi

TonyLi

I have to agree with Damien that, despite some negative reviews, the Mobile Addon works solidly. The visual elements are at least as efficient as Unity UI since it uses textures, not legacy Unity GUI. And it doesn't get in the way of Unity UI either. You can still use Unity UI for other things like menus and Dialogue System UIs.

7. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

@TonyLi @Damien Delmarle @theANMATOR2b
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    What do you think about FPS packs guys ? UFPS or anything else ? Because, I see realistic FPS is also going good in asset store. Though I have never tried it. But if anyone of you has tried any other FPS pack, then please share your reviews.

And one more thing, are Universal Sound FX & Photon Networking good for FPS ? I have read lots of reviews saying that, Photon is only for beginners or for small games. It's really laggy when it comes to real performance on the device. What do you say ?

8. TonyLi

TonyLi

UFPS and RFPS are both good. UFPS is a little more complicated if you dig into the code, but it's also more flexible. And now that Opsive is behind it, you can count on top notch support. RFPS is more self-contained, with features like friendly and enemy AI, that UFPS doesn't have by itself. It's easy to dig into RFPS's code (since it's simpler), but if you need to customize the code you'll have to directly modify the source code in most cases. They also both have different feels. UFPS feels more smooth and fluid, while RFPS has a more "realistic" feel, like the player has some weight. If you're set on making a multiplayer game, UFPS is probably a better choice.

bhavinpanara22 and theANMATOR2b like this.
  9. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

So, UFPS wins over RFPS.
    And what about Photon ? Is it good enough for big games ? Is UFPS & RFPS are compatible with each other ?

10. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

UFPS was one of the first packages I bought when I started using Unity, and also one of my biggest regrets. I've found it incredibly time-consuming and fiddly to set up, and their dedicated forum is full of non-answered questions. That being said, I do still believe it is the "best" in terms of a professional looking end result, but at least look around at the other options available.

The water system I use is Aquas and I really can't fault it. It's received more updates than any other package I have each update brings something new and useful. It virtually takes up no performance either and looks wonderful in an FPS view. Excellent value for money as well. Distingo is a very useful and simple terrain shader that efficiently removes tiling, and Ice Creature Control I recommend for the AI. Horizon[ON] is definitely recommended for FPS games because it vastly expands the player's view.

For 3D models I really like the fauna by Junnichi Suko (in fact my favourite 3D artist), and the flora by Yughues, particularly this pack since it has many plants and weeds for every kind of environment and is something I import into every project. They all look great in FPS view.

bhavinpanara22 likes this.
  11. TonyLi

TonyLi

I wouldn't say that for myself -- they each have their pro's and con's -- but the choice is up to you. I have to agree with jonfinlay that UFPS is more complicated to set up (mostly because it's more flexible), but now that Opsive supports it the dedicated forum is a reliable place to quickly get solid answers.

Yes. Check the UFPS roadmap. It's possible Opsive might switch UFPS to UNET since their excellent Third Person Controller package uses it.

No.

Making a multiplayer shooter is a big investment in time and money. It will pay off many times over to do thorough research in the beginning. Consider buying licenses for UFPS and RFPS to familiarize yourself with both before choosing one. The cost of buying both may be negligible compared to the overall costs of this project.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  12. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

Thank you very much for showing these great assets. I have added them in my wishlist.

13. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

I already own UFPS. Now I will try my hands on RFPS. Let me see, how does it go.
    I am thinking of making multiplayer shooter for Android & iOS. I have some marketing & monetization plans.I have some 3D designers to work for me. But to speed up the development, I am looking for readymade assets from asset store.

Anyway, what do you think about FPS game's market on mobile ? Is there any place for FPS games on app store & play store ?

14. zugsoft

zugsoft

15. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

For DeathAndDust which multiplayer solution you have used ? And how much does it cost your on average per month ?
    How many active player do yo have ? Can you please share your data ?
    And with these games, your earning can't be totally zero. May be it is low, but not zero at all.
    Do you have ads in your games ?

16. zugsoft

zugsoft

I developed my network solution, I use udp socket, I developed the server in Java, I can handle 1000 players per second on each dedicated server.
    The cost for each dedicated server is 10$ per month.

I have 800 actives users per day, I use intertitial and banner ads, I lost money with those games because I spend 40$ per month for my servers(Brazil,France,Russia,China), and I earn less than this with Admob+PubCenter.

17. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

Feeling bad for you.
    If I want to make multiplayer game, then which should I use ? My own dedicated servers or just Photon ?

18. zugsoft

zugsoft

Start by using a free server, and you will see if you reach or not the maximum of CCU.
    I develop my network Class and server in UDP, because I wanted the faster network solution, I can play on 3G connection with PING 50ms, and the best security.
    With Photon or other you don't know exactly the amount of data sent, and the security.

19. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

I would also like to write my own servers. But I don't think I am capable of doing this ? Is it easy to learn ? And you said, your servers are in 4 countries.(Brazil,France,Russia,China). How did you managed 4 countries ? You went to all of them or you hired someone ?
    Sorry, I am noob about servers.

20. zugsoft

zugsoft

It's easy to find a MultiThreading UDP Socket example with Google, else
    You have to know C or C++ or Java to write your Server
    You have to know UDP or TCP Socket
    You have to know Thread

Then you could rent a Linux VPS server for $5 a month and install your server on it, to make some test.

21. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

I know C, C++ & Java. I will try my hands on server programming.
    Anyway, would you suggest using photon or any other ? Specially performance wise.