Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the new forums!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chelnok

chelnok

Colors are relative to their surroundings :p

I got old version open in other tab, so i took a screenshots if anyone like to compare:

newlist.jpg
    oldlist.jpg

I'm not avatar oriented, but i got to admit; the one with avatars is better. List without avatars feels dead. And after all, the visual hints makes it lot easier to sort the list and separate similar topics. CPU in our brain works great, but combined with brains own GPU the very same result can be get with just quick glance.

SememeS and Magiichan like this.
  2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

+1 Totally Agree!

I thought we was bug fixing, not trying to change the style of the forums again?
    I want to quickly see the posts I posted in as my avatar will appear there.

I'm sorry but I don't understand who has been private messaging you stuff as I cannot see users expressing the needs in this thread to remove features?

3. Demigiant

Demigiant

+1 for old layout (which could be improved on stuff like sticky posts, but is still better than the new one imho).

4. Ricks

Ricks

True. Also the current forum resembles much more the original forum than at its beginning (due to the constant tweaking). We're almost back on the roots again. Which makes me wonder why it was changed in the first place.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  5. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

I like the new layout. More content on screen but I wouldn't mind having the avatars back if possible.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Read the thread again; there were a bunch of complaints about the style.

Look again, there are various complaints about the avatars. "I think user avatars in the category view need to go", "Author avatars next to the topic don't really look that nice", etc. So now they're gone, as requested. But now people want them back. ;) Somehow I knew this was gonna happen...I think at least some of it was just people not being used to the new forums, and they needed a little time to adjust.

--Eric

7. landon912

landon912

I agree, at first I didn't like the features I'm now asking to be returned. ;)

8. Magiichan

Magiichan

The forums don't really look organized anymore...
    There's so much plain text thrown in my face. Õ n Õ

landon912 likes this.
  9. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Yes the style had issues from day one, but I think the web team said they working on that.
    By this I thought it meant making a new skin from scratch ( although not mentioned) and a dark theme, this was the main understanding.

So where was the vote on avatars?
    It seems to me one user has made this complaint.

OK- I think as we can see people want the avatars back, lets do that and carry on with the bug fixing and not so much trying to change everything visually, we still have to many stickies and there lot of forum content that needs to be looked at.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  10. Demigiant

Demigiant

I think/suppose there are different people involved in the restyling and in the bugfixing, so both things could be done at the same time without hurt.

11. BTStone

BTStone

Yeah, we need that old layout back.

12. BTStone

BTStone

And another thing: With the new Layout I don't get no more new "Alerts" from my subscribed/watched Topics.

13. Magiichan

Magiichan

That's weird, I still get alerts.
    I like how you said "don't get no" xd dat double negative african canadian(American) slang tho!

14. BTStone

BTStone

The fun part is: I'm german :p

SememeS likes this.
  15. Nanity

Nanity

*waves* One of the guys who dislike(d) the user icons next to the threads. I counted fhree more who requested their removal, two who suggested to replace them somehow and finally one who noted that many don't have a user icon at all and those should be hidden. And nobody explicitly wanted the icons to stay until they actually got removed.

Not saying who's right or wrong, just telling there's more than one favour.

Haha, I thought exactly the opposite. It looks pretty clean and structured now ^_^ (Programmer's art)

16. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

There was a lot of requests to tidy up the style when the new forums hit, especially the avatars on thread list, making the everything more obvious, even the usernames above avatars on posts, join date and number of posts they have.

We're not going to please everyone, I think this will be the last style edit we do for a while, unless something is horrifically broken.

17. Magiichan

Magiichan

-pukes-

18. Demigiant

Demigiant

I personally think that some things could be made better, but I don't mind if it stays like this. All in all, everything works pretty well (visually I mean: mail notifications are still an issue), and it looks and feels way better than the old forums.

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

This affects only moderators/admins, but the spam cleaning window when it checks the IP has a lot of transparency now, which makes it hard to read.

--Eric

20. NomadKing

NomadKing

+1 for missing the Avatars, if for no other reason than the ease of seeing which threads I'd posted in.

chelnok likes this.
  21. Tiles

Tiles

Something goes wrong with the reply buttons here. Haven't found out though why sometimes the buttons are out of range.

Attached Files:

22. Tiles

Tiles

Seems to be a problem with resizing the windows. Fullscreen is all fine. In windowed not. Firefox 30

Attached Files:

23. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Actually it's about the width; it appears to happen when the width is around 990 pixels or smaller, so you can make your browser window a little wider. Something to do with the toolbar icons in the reply box, looks like.

--Eric

24. Tiles

Tiles

Good find. Thanks for the info. Let's hope the programmers are able to catch the problem :)

25. guavaman

guavaman

Is anything being done about the email notifications? This has been going on since day 1 on this new forum and its a really important feature to have working. Far more important than tweaking styles.

Arkade and Demigiant like this.
  26. Aurore

Aurore

We're trying to pinpoint the source of the issue, the web team are working with IT to see what's up.

27. guavaman

guavaman

Thanks for the update!

28. g2only

g2only

I have a somewhat related question...I can't access my original account to login: g2mediagroup

Just to clarify, my original email account attached to this account became hacked and I had to shut it down, so how can I get access to it again. NONE of my usual passwords seem to work. I'm puzzled...?

Thanks UT!

George

29. Aurore

Aurore

You'll need to e-mail support@unity3d.com for this

30. NomadKing

NomadKing

Are there any known issues with the Alert system? Over the past few days I've noticed that I don't always receive alerts for watched threads. For example, this morning I had no alert for this thread, yet there had been new posts since I was on last night.

31. Aurore

Aurore

hmm, not that I know of.

32. Demigiant

Demigiant

I can confirm that there were problems with alerts too at least at the beginning, like @NomadKing mentioned (hey NomadKing! :)). Since some weeks I had none though, or at least I didn't notice any.

33. g2only

g2only

I did many months ago and received no reply...?

34. Aurore

Aurore

And you are both sure you have all the settings to receive alerts right? (I'll still pass this along)

What was your case number

35. NomadKing

NomadKing

Yup, as far as I can tell it's all set right. With the thread I mentioned I received alerts for posts yesterday when I came on, but not this morning. I it happening quite often with the Small Works Art thread in the WIP section.

Hey hey! ;)

36. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

One problem I am having is with mobile devices.

The section here: Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 10.03.54 AM.png
    Is dependent on the width of the device showing it. On the Nexus 7 while in landscape, everything shows. In portrait some items disappear. I browse almost exclusively by 'New Posts' but on my Nexus 5 I cannot select that no matter the orientation.

37. Demigiant

Demigiant

Yes, I re-check those settings at least once a week to see if mail notifications will start happening again :)

38. ZimM

ZimM

39. Catacomber

Catacomber

How can I edit my forum signature. : )

40. Catacomber

Catacomber

Never mind. Somehow I did it magically. Not sure how but I clicked all over the place until it worked. : )

41. Adrian

Adrian

I'm using the time of the last post on the thread list to get to the end of a thread (in the last column below the poster's name).

Sometimes the link doesn't work and today I figured out that the link is only working when logged in. When not signed in, the timestamp acts like a link but has no href or title attributes. After signing in, the link gets href and title attributes and works as expected.

The same seems to be the case for the time the thread was created (in the first column below the thread title after the poster's name), which only gets you to the first post of the thread when signed in. The following links to the thread's individual pages do work fine either way.

This is a bit confusing and makes the forums harder to navigate for whoever is not logged in. Though I guess this is a bug and not intentional.

-1 for the avatars. I thought they were confusing on the thread list and I'm glad they're gone.

42. guavaman

guavaman

I'm curious, is it just a few of us not receiving forum email notifications or is it everyone? If its just a few of us, there may be some issue with our accounts or email addresses (though I tried changing my email address before, however it was hosted at the same server but not the same domain name.) There could be some kind of blacklisting spam checking going on here.

Arkade likes this.
  43. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

I just got an email notification for your post.

44. NomadKing

NomadKing

I don't use email notifications for threads, but I do for PM's and that seems to be working fine for me.

Did you try the steps Aurore mentioned previously?

45. andymads

andymads

@Aurore, is @martinvium aware of the problem?

This is what happened earlier.

Google Chrome.

7:13am - signed in (with Stay signed in checked).

login_7_13am.png

9:04 am - not logged in.

error_9_04am.png

Arcanor likes this.
  46. Demigiant

Demigiant

Yes we tried them all, it's a no-go still :/

47. NomadKing

NomadKing

Well that sucks. Hopefully the web team is working on hard on figuring it all out!

48. Aurore

Aurore

So with the no notifications thing, if you set your preferences to receive alerts for threads you've started and responded to, but not set e-mail notifications as well for those, you won't get e-mails.

If you want to set it for everything, hover over your username, click preferences and select this option;

Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 12.51.35.png

If you want to receive alerts for things you've started and responded to but only want e-mail for select threads, you need to go to that thread, hit unwatch, hit watch, then select this;

Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 13.06.15.png

49. martinvium

martinvium

@guavaman your problem appears to be different from the rest e.g. you are subscribed (with email notifications) to this thread. I'll try and trigger an email manually. Please reply here if you received (or not) an email with the subject "Unity Forum Notification Test".

Are you receiving any emails at all? E.g. from PM's?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    Arkade likes this.
  50. Demigiant

Demigiant

Sorry it sounds a little confusing to me To be sure I understood correctly...
    to receive e-mail notifications for everything we need to select "Automatically watch threads..." but deselect "and receive email notifications of replies", instead than having both selected as it is now? Trying it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.