Search Unity

Welcome to the new forums!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1290

RC-1290

Thanks! That seems like a sane limit.

2. Moonjump

Moonjump

Just a small issue, but still annoying...

As I now have to manually mark the forums as read, I do that as I switch the last thread tab, otherwise I forget. But marking as read switches the tab to the forum list. I would rather stay on the page I opened.

3. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Sorry, I'm being slow and I don't understand, can you screencap what you mean??

4. Moonjump

Moonjump

It cannot be screencapped. If I was to mark the forums as read while in this thread, I will be automatically redirected to the main forum page. I would like to stay in the thread.

5. Aurore

Aurore

ah yes, I see what you mean now. I'll add that to the list of issues we have, thanks.

6. Arkade

Arkade

3 things:

E-mail notifications
    I haven't received an e-mail notification from Unity Forum since the upgrade. I've checked my Spam folder, e-mail address, confirmed the settings, unchecked and re-checked the tick boxes, un-subscribed and re-subscribed from threads. I give up. I can't believe I'm the only one which means I'm probably being dumb. Someone fancy putting me out of my misery? ;-)

Forum search on Android
    On Android Chrome, touching the search icon (magnifying glass) shows the search box with the cursor flashing but does not prompt showing the Android keyboard. Clicking the field (the obvious thing to bring up the keyboard) cancels the search field!!!

Watched threads ordering on mobile
    On mobile (at least on Android Chrome) the "Watched Threads" view only has columns "title" and "last message" -- restricting what one can sort by. (I'm not at desktop atm but I'm sure there are others, right?)

Thanks!

7. Arkade

Arkade

Just came across a workaround for the search problem:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/search/?type=post is linked from one of the menus :)

8. Aurore

Aurore

So e-mail notifications are not on by default of all watched threads, you need to click on watched threads at the top, then there is a sentence that reads

"This is a list of the 30 most recently-updated threads with unread replies that you are watching. There may be more to view."

Click where it says "There may be more to view"

Check the box of which threads you are watching that you want to receive e-mail notifications from, scroll down to the bottom and on the drop down box pick "enable e-mail notification" hit "go" and you should be notified by e-mail from now on for that thread. You can see which forums you are receiving emails from, from the watched threads list as it says "email" on the threads that you selected.

You can disable email notifications by doing the same as before but selecting "disable email notifications" instead.

Additionally, you can enable notification emails by hitting "watch thread" inside a thread a you'd like to watch, a pop window will appear with options to receive e-mails.

If you want to get e-mail notifications for conversations, highlight your username at the top, click "contact details" and check the box that says "Receive email when a new conversation message is received"

Can you send a screenshot of the watch threads page on Android?

Are you talking about the main search icon at the top of the page (on mobile)?

9. Aurore

Aurore

Adding in the issue that was raised in gossip.

Aggressive ctrl+z

10. guavaman

guavaman

@Aurore

Replying to your message in my other thread, I had not tried the above suggestion "This is a list of the 30 most recently-updated threads with unread replies that you are watching. There may be more to view.", but I have explicitly enabled email notifications on many threads individually including the one you just locked and never received a single email including when you replied. I went to the "more to view" page and see all my threads already have "Email" set next to them. I went ahead and checked them and enabled email again, but I'm betting nothing is going to happen. Additionally, I had already done this a long time ago but haven't received a single email from a conversation either -- "If you want to get e-mail notifications for conversations, highlight your username at the top, click "contact details" and check the box that says "Receive email when a new conversation message is received"

11. Aurore

Aurore

Ok, thanks for letting me know, I'll get the web developers to check out the e-mail notifications.

12. Aurore

Aurore

So wurd on the street is, we are still trying to repro the notification thing, but they have some ideas up their sleeves.

13. Aurore

Aurore

Got a repro, it's actually the case with a lot of options, if you change an option and sign out, sign back in again, the change will not take effect. Now we know what the problem is, we can fix it.

14. Aurore

Aurore

Should be fixed now

15. martinvium

martinvium

Filed a feature request with XenForo, to update the rich-text editor to the latest version, which has a new and improved undo/redo system.

UPDATE: The upgrade breaks IE8 support, which they are not ready to do currently.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  16. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

[Reposting this per Aurore's request]

The first time I wrote this thread, I hit Ctrl-Z three times, and had my entire post destroyed. Which also destroyed all my nice compliments about how much I love the new forum software. So, now that I'm starting over, I'm going straight to the heart of it - PLEASE TUNE THE UNDO FORUM FEATURE TO BE LESS aggressive! Maybe a word at a time, or even a sentence. 20-30% of a post is... excessive.

Thanks,
    Gigi

PS - I really do like the new forum software :).

17. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

IE8, why do users never upgrade there browsers? this is just shocking, XenForo should upgrade and ignore IE8 users, IE is already on version 11.

NomadKing likes this.
  18. chelnok

chelnok

Couple tiny little annoyances:

1. When coming back from fullscreen (embedded youtube video) , page is scrolled back to top.
    2. Then again, there is no "back to top" link at bottom of the page.

Check out some threads with lots of long posts with images and videos - from Works in progress or Assets for example. Fullscreen thing is annoying, because you have to find the spot you were after watching the video.

19. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hi, this a UnityAnswers issue, but it's happening since the new forums update so I suppose it's connected. Don't know if anyone reported it already, but I couldn't find trace of it so here it is.

UnityAnswers is not sending me mail notifications anymore, and returns an error page when I try to check if they're set correctly. To try and set them, I go to:
    • My profile, and click "User tools"
    • From the dropdown I select "Email notification settings"
    • The page loads for a while, then I get the same top content with two buttons: "Notification options" and "Expertise settings"
    • I press "Notification options" and I am sent to a Status 404 page (which I'm attaching)
    unityAnswers_notificationOptionsError.png
    This happens since the forums changed. I tried many times in many different days but nothing: always the same 404 error page, which practically rendered UnityAnswers inaccessible for me (since checking if you got new replies etc is not as easy as opening the new forum Alerts panel), which is a pity since my karma is at 1.7k and I used to frequent the place from now and then. Any infos on this? Is this a known bug? When will it be solved?

EDIT: P.S. also got the same identical problem (with identical attempts at a solution) with Unity Forum notifications as @guavaman , but thanks to the Alerts panel Unity's Forum is much more manageable than UnityAnswers

20. stephenward121

stephenward121

Few things have been changed on these forums

21. chelnok

chelnok

I get 404 too from Notification and also Expertise settings. However i do receive email notifications, at least one couple days ago. Dunno, if its something like new questions / answers are not registered, but older ones still work..?

22. landon912

landon912

For some strange reason, sometimes....at random, the page indexes seem to be reversed. For example, posts from 2005 are on page 1. Screenshot included; Running in Chrome on an Ipad 2.

Attached Files:

23. guavaman

guavaman

I don't know how it got that way, but the arrow next to "Last Message" is showing the sorting order as ascending by date. Click that to sort descending.

24. landon912

landon912

Ahh thanks, I'll experiment a little more and see if I can repo it myself, or if it is user error.

25. Arkade

Arkade

@Aurore
    Thanks for detailed reply.
    I had done and have exactly the same situation as @guavaman

Still not seeing any notifications. Your explanation suggests one needs to redo some setting now, right? Could we cheat and ask you which setting, whether some logout&in is required, etc?

Thx so much!
    P.s. Sorry for delayed reply -- no notifications ;-) and been at Develop UK. Hi to other attendees :)

26. martinvium

martinvium

Every distinct time you would visit the forums, some of your preferences would be reset to the default (e.g. notifications).

I don't have a complete view of which settings was affected specifically, but take a look under "Preferences" on your profile, and see that they are correct.

27. martinvium

martinvium

Thanks for the report! I have reached out to the Answers team about this, i'm sure they will look into it ASAP.

UPDATE: They are working on it.

28. andymads

andymads

One thing I've noticed is that I don't remain signed in for very long at all. Is there any way I can stay permanently signed in?

chelnok likes this.
  29. martinvium

martinvium

You can stay signed in for 14 days by leaving the "Stay signed in" checkbox checked on the sign-in page.

30. andymads

andymads

I already do this however when returning to my browser an hour or 2 later, I am often signed out - or rather when I go to do some operation on the page I get the 'you must be signed in to do this' message.

31. guavaman

guavaman

If I'm not wrong, Aurore's post about it being fixed was referring to the settings that wouldn't stay checked in prefereneces, not the email notification problem. Haven't heard anything about that issue yet.

32. Moonjump

Moonjump

This has been happening to me since the previous forum changes, but slightly less since the recent changes.

33. Arkade

Arkade

@guavaman oh ok - thanks for the probable answer... Um... Just re-read and I'm not sure I agree (assuming her first 3 replies to you are continuous context (*1)) but hopefully she'll confirm / clarify.

@martinvium I never had the settings problem, only the lack of e-mail notifications. All my settings are max mail spam ;-)

*1: continuous context is difficult to tell since AFAIK there's no threaded view (is there?) On mobile?)

34. guavaman

guavaman

Maybe you're right, but the reason why I assumed it was about the check box was this:

"Got a repro, it's actually the case with a lot of options, if you change an option and sign out, sign back in again, the change will not take effect. Now we know what the problem is, we can fix it."

So if this is email notifications, what option is it referring to? The only checkbox that I had that would keep unchecking itself was the automatic email subscription on threads. All the other options like subscribing to a thread stayed active even though they don't work. Unless "the change will not take effect" doesn't refer to the checkbox not being set but it actually just ignoring the setting its showing you. Either way, if its supposed to be fixed now, I guess I need to repeat the steps above and re-enable emails on all my threads even though they're already showing enabled... Worth a shot.

Okay, I just un-checked and re-checked all my options. Can you send me a PM so I can test that?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  35. guavaman

guavaman

@Arkade Thanks for sending the PM test. Nope, still zero email notifications. So this problem hasn't been solved for me.

36. Aurore

Aurore

Yes I was talking about the check boxes not saving option properly.

Are you still not receiving e-mail notifications?

37. Demigiant

Demigiant

For me the checkboxes are saving options properly now, but I'm still not receiving any mail notification

38. Demigiant

Demigiant

P.S. just checked: UnityAnswers notification page is now working instead, and I'm not getting a 404 error anymore. I can't confirm if I'm receiving e-mail notifications from there though: I'll try posting something and see what happens

39. Arkade

Arkade

Correct -- no notifications here. (also, I never had the save checkbox failure so doubt related)
    Thx

40. guavaman

guavaman

Thanks for getting back to me and clarifying that. Yeah, I'm not receiving emails still.

41. andymads

andymads

@martinvium I always check the option to stay signed in but I'm getting less than 2 hours before having to sign in again.

42. Aurore

Aurore

Martin is on holiday at the moment but I'll make him aware of this when he gets back.

andymads likes this.
  43. Aurore

Aurore

We've just changed the layout to incorporate some things you weren't happy about.

Let us know if there are any bugs you find.

We tried to make sticky posts more obvious but it's still not 100% great, in the next update we're going to look at separating them from the main thread like the old forums.

44. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Dear Lord...grey and white stripes, no just no! :)

45. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

still not happy with white color

46. landon912

landon912

I like the old layout better. The pictures on the side let me know who posted the thread and if I posted in it easily. I like to know users by their avatar, more than their name. Also, the font on the alerts drop down is pretty ugly now, IMO. Can you guys bold the thread name in the alert menu? It's hard to determine the thread name right now.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    Magiichan and MrEsquire like this.
  47. Mauri

Mauri

The old layout was alot better :/

MrEsquire likes this.
  48. Aurore

Aurore

For the record, we never invented a different white for the background.

49. Arkade

Arkade

@Aurore said:
    > Let us know if there are any bugs you find.

Think the layout has some issues (see screenshot from Chrome on Windows 7).
    Most important is the bottom "reply" area overlaps the Unity footer.

Also, ...
    (a) is the editor really slow now? (I'm getting a couple of words ahead of what's appearing on the screen here!)
    (b) When @-referencing a user, didn't one used to be able to use the keyboard to select? (The popup appears as I type "@ a u r o r e", I hit down and nothing happens.)
    (c) Ya, it's been mentioned before but undo feels horrible -- I daren't use it because I can't predict just how much I'll lose. (Is it for platforms that don't have integral textarea undo?)

HTH, Rupert

Attached Files:

50. Aurore

Aurore

I get the same editor bug when snapping to the side of the screen.

I agree the editor is slightly sluggish, or maybe that was the power of suggestion.

Undo has been weird for a while

With the @ ing I don't think I was ever able to select with the arrows, but I'll bring that up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.