Search Unity

Welcome to the new forums!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. landon912

landon912

Ok, I really like the alert system. It keeps me up to date on threads going on. However, I too miss the post count under names. Last, are you promoting people to "Member" manually? Shouldn't that be automatic?

2. Teila

Teila

Is there a way to search individual threads? This is really helpful when looking for help with a particular asset. It sort of worked in the old forums but I can't even figure out how to do it on the new ones. It was the one thing I was hoping would be fixed.

3. cg_destro

cg_destro

some from me :)

- option to set 24h day not 12h
    - option to see last post time not only "today and hour" but minutes and hours ago up to 24h, now it seams it only work up to 1h , 1 day ago, or make option to specify it to the user :)
    - option to specify thread icon by autohor not using his avatar by deafuld, o r both, if no one feed image as icon it use user avatar
    - less space between thread name and author and date of creation
    - maybe little number showing number of pages all time and not 3 last pabe on mouse hover like now, if you think about that is not that usefull anyhow :) you can go to first by clicking thread name of last clicking last page number and that should work good :) or even better when you hover instead of showing 3 last pages it show button go to first unread psot if there is any in thread
    - I would hide title member under user name, everybody is a member :) and left only moderators and unity staff titles, add number of post and join date instead :)
    - sticky threads take too much space
    - better separate one post from another, some border or bigger bg color difference shoudl work
    - little darker color scheme for forum
    - bolded name of thread with new posts
    - limit signature height, make smaller font size for it and little less visible
    - move report button to far right
    - move username and date of post on top of post and maybe on right, close to new post button and make it less visible
    - option to turn off smiles on created post and use : - ) instead, also smiles are jumping to new line:)

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Bold bits are just so the feedback stands out. I am not yelling at anyone. :)

I don't know if it's been asked yet, but any chance we can get the usernames above the images instead of the other way around? At the moment we have to look half way down a post to see who wrote it, then go back up to the start of the text. It's messin' with the whole top-left-to-bottom-right flow thing, and I think that's making it feel less easy to read.

Also, my workstation here is really showing up some contrast issues. Do the colour differences really need to be so subtle? On the Mac monitor the forum is pretty nice and the subtly different greys are distinct enough. On the touch screen monitor I have off to the side the contrast levels really suck, so the subtle differences aren't enough to guide my eyes around without me consciously paying attention. While I'd love to have an excuse to upgrade all of my monitors to ones with great colour quality... I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

Overall, I think I like the new forum software though. I used the forums on my phone on the bus this morning and it was actually quite a pleasant experience. (So now I actually agree with the people saying a better mobile experience is important, where previously I didn't really care either way. Win!)

5. npsf3000

npsf3000

Which is great... except I'm trying to edit my post. Just because I disliked my previous draft, doesn't mean I want to rewrite my post.

6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, seems ok for me. it pops up a box, i edit, i confirm, it closes and gives me edited post.

7. Ness

Ness

New forum sucks :) Looking forward to see skin that imitates old one.
    Some improvement that might make new forum better:
    • Add more contrast
    • Pinned threads should look like pinned
    • Delete the avatar next to thread name and replace it with an icon that informs you about a number of unread posts

8. ForceX

ForceX

It's sooo white. I need some shades :) It's kind of hard to tell where one post ends and the the next one starts because the accent lines are very faded / transparent / not dark enough. Just me but i would like to see every other post have an accent color / grey shade to distinguish it from the post above / below. White, grey , white, grey. I miss the user post count under names and at the thread post count at the top of the thread.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    AnomalusUndrdog likes this.
  9. imtrobin

imtrobin

yeah, new forum hurts my eyes.

And I cannot find the button to delete PM.

10. SememeS

SememeS

I'm liking the new forum. Really liking that it's responsive.

The new alert system is great. The new user profile page and settings are much more advanced. If at all possible, I'm completely on board with adding the option for a dark theme version like how blenderartists.org has the option between light and dark for those who prefer dark.

Although, I like this light version alot.

11. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Things I like: the alert system (a la Facebook. I think that's one of the things Facebook did right), you get notified when someone @ mentions your username, quotes your post, etc.

question: does the alert box update itself (i.e. ajax?) or do I need to refresh the whole page to see new notifications?

Things I don't like:

1. separation between user replies/posts in a thread is not clear enough. I don't think increasing the space will work. There's a very thin and light grey line in between posts, I think it needs to be darker, for a start.

2. I can't change the number of replies I see per page anymore. I like seeing a lot (100 posts per page), so this sucks for me.

12. ivendar

ivendar

The small avatars in the topic view are really annoying. Inside a topic avatars are ok, but in the other view there's too much lost space and it makes reading the topics more difficult. Maybe give an option if people want to see or not ?

Also I'm wondering why I'm new member as my account is some years old already. ^^

13. Mistermind

Mistermind

Hi there guys,
    Just a quick heads up on this new forum.
    - The following BB codes no longer work:
    Horizontal Rules (Ex: [HR][/HR])
    Tables (Ex: [table="width: 700, class: grid, align: left"][tr][td]....[/td][/tr][/table])​
    - Videos do not align to the center when you use the BB Code for CENTER
    - (nitpicking) No cancel button when editing a thead
    - adblock seems to block a few tools during editing, just a heads up.

An example can be found here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-universal-fighting-engine-ufe.218123/

14. Tiles

Tiles

The new forum is great.

One big issue that i have is that in the overview every thread has the icon of the user of the first entry. This adds quite a bit distracting noise to the overall look. And i cannot say which thread is read and which thread is unread by me. This small little dot sinks in this noise.

The quote button seems to be missing in the toolbar of the answer field.

And a click in the advanced editor at the Use BB Code Editor Button lets the toolbar disappear. No way to go back.

Hm, i don't see a difference between the normal answer field and the advanced field neither. Is there somehthing planned?

I had also a little white popup above the forum when i wrote this answer and hit submit. Dunno what it was good for. Disappeared very quick.

Firefox 29.01 here

15. Ostwind

Ostwind

I would also like to see post count or join date (month year) to know who I am about to reply and how my reply should be (without need to go check user page).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  16. andyz

andyz

+1 for more contrast
    +1 for less white/wasted space - I am scrolling far too much to see things with this layout!

not liking the style changes tbh

a 'compact' style option would be ideal

NTDC-DEV and AnomalusUndrdog like this.
  17. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Bug report: Forum does not keep "Show day and month of birth" setting.

I'm turning it off, it looks OK but after a while (not right away) when I'm back it's back on... That cycle happened 3 times already...

18. SVGK

SVGK

The sticky threads need a more obvious separation from the others than just a pin symbol, like a much darker shade of color.

19. shaderop

shaderop

I agree. That n00biness of an OP often affects the reply.

20. landon912

landon912

Ahh, I do see where you're coming from.

+1 Your complaint.

21. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I miss this deeply too

We'll take a look at this, also the the code box not taking advantage of the entire width is irritating.

We are working on bigger plans to create better unity (no pun intended) between the other areas of the community site, more on this when it's not just blurbs on paper.

22. Aurore

Aurore

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE e-mail things that are going wrong to support@unity3d.com as it's a lot easier to keep track of.

We've added these (Will add to OP)

- Forums are now bold if there is unread content
    - Threads are bold if there is unread content (still have the blue dot)
    - There is a more distinct line between posts in the thread view
    - Smileys are inline now
    - Post counter (needs some refinement)

23. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Can the Unity Web-devs come in this topic and talk to the community?

24. Dabeh

Dabeh

Message counter*

25. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Nice attempt, but still not clear on the main page due to the color scheme.
    Using Firefox Latest

26. martinvium

martinvium

We are definitely in here every day collecting your feedback. So far Aurore has been so kind as to keep you guys in the loop, but we are also available to more inline discussion, as soon as we have the most obvious stuff sorted.

Btw, thanks for all the awesome feedback! The migration to XenForo was the first step and we'll continue to iterate on that.

27. martinvium

martinvium

Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 17.49.55.png

Aren't you seeing this? (Announcements read, Showcase unread in FF)

28. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I have to say, using bold for unread doesn't really mean anything by itself and is easy to miss; I wouldn't realize that meant "unread messages" if I hadn't visited this topic. Having a badge that just says "new", like the old forum, would make things clear.

The changes so far are a definite improvement though!

--Eric

29. martinvium

martinvium

Good to know. We are definitely picking of low hanging fruit right now, but we can look into adding a badge or similar as well.

30. ForceX

ForceX

Wow lots of nice changes since last night. I even gave the forum a go on my iphone and agree with most that the mobile experience is much better with the new forums. I was going to post about the reply text area needing some type of border outline but that has already been taken care of.

This new forum is starting to look very nice :)

31. StarManta

StarManta

I can't seem to clear out/mark unread any of my conversations, which is leading me to having a big red "54" above my Inbox that I can't do anything with. How do I make it go away? :/

32. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Can we have previous/next thread buttons again? The last forum upgrade got rid of them years ago, and then they were finally added back a few months ago, only to disappear again with this upgrade. Having to click back and then click on the next unread thread manually is really cumbersome.

33. martinvium

martinvium

Go to your inbox, click the checkbox on one of your conversations. A small popup appears, where you can "select all". Now you can choose to "Mark conversations read" in the drop down. Note not all conversations may not be visible on the first page.

34. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Could the drop-downs at the top of the forum not activate on hover, but instead only on click? It's very easy to activate them by accident, and they are never what I want. The ease with which they are shown is compounded by the fact that you have to click elsewhere to hide them.

35. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Actually, none of mine are. The "unread" conversations are random ones from years ago, scattered throughout pages of conversations. Is there no way to actually select all?

36. StarManta

StarManta

That was the first thing I did, it had zero effect on the number (I'd have expected it to reduce by 15 or something if 'Mark as read' was functioning.) Going to other pages and doing the same thing also has no effect on the number.

37. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

Oooh, swanky! Great work web team. I have a few comments on the design:

- There's not much contrast between the different areas: I can generally only distinguish them clearly if I view the screen from an oblique angle. For example, this text box and the surroundings

- I miss the page count/links being always there, rather than just when you mouse over them. It was a good visual indicator of how long a thread had been going for, and let you find the "busiest discussions" at a glance.

- I'm still a new user :(

38. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

As others have pointed out, the thread layout is pretty busy. Removing the username from the bottom of each post might help, since it's the same as the one on the left in most cases.

39. drewradley

drewradley

I miss the "last post" date on the forum home page. Makes it easy to see if there are any new posts since I last looked.

40. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

There used to be a space between sticky posts and the rest of the forum. That provided a better visual indicator of the distinction than the series of red pin icons.

41. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Can you enable code formatting for the rich text editor? I see old posts with (for instance) C# code with proper highlighting, but I don't see how to add it to a new post.

42. Ness

Ness

Can you add different skins to the new forum? Like a dark one IE. Also an option for creating custom skins would be nice(simple change color)

43. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

The title of each page (Welcome to the new forums! in this case) is separated from the breadcrumbs by a bunch of forum menus and links. It would make more sense if the title were immediately below the breadcrumbs, since together they form the full path to the page.

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Click on "insert", then select "code".

--Eric

45. nuverian

nuverian

Well, I just was in the mood for a bit and wanted to make some graphical suggestions. So I took a screen and did some photoshop modifications. Just some thoughts :)

With that said, some color would be nice :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  46. Akira_san

Akira_san

Its too bright for my eyes! Going to get sun glasses. :)

47. Teo

Teo

Xenforo is super, but this theme needs more work, in Chrome looks really ugly, in Firefox is acceptable. To much white also. I hope you guys keep improving this.

48. Moonjump

Moonjump

I posted how I hated the new look in a thread that was locked soon after. I'll be more constructive with my comments here:

On the list of forums, please return indicators for which forums have new posts.

New posts icon needs to direct to the first new post all the time, which it doesn't at the moment, it often takes to 1st post of the thread.

New post icons should only appear on threads with new posts. It currently appears on all, except for some sticky threads.

Multi quote posts seems to have been removed. That can be useful.

There is very little hierarchy to the posts. Message content isn't the most prominent section of a post. Unclear separation between posts. Username doesn't stand out from the information around it. Like, Reply, and other buttons look to be part of the signature.

My suggestions for this. Have the pale background for the message text only. A darker surround for the rest of the post (at least twice the difference between any current colour steps). A thick black line between posts, not the faint barely-there thing there is now. Or have a small gap between posts, and have the background darker again. User status not in bold (e.g. Member). Buttons look like buttons. It isn't clear what you can click on until you hover. Thankfully buttons appear when replying to a post.

I am using a 15" retina screen. It might be a consideration of why lines and distinguishing separators are so indistinct?

Sticky threads should be separated from the rest.

A less bright scheme, or options for it.

Thank you for fixing the reply box size. I really like the way it resizes dynamically.

49. mgear

mgear

50. Aurore

Aurore

Multi-quotes are working, hit reply on which ones you want to quote and they will automatically added to the reply box.

We are fixing the styling issues that make things indistinguishable like the colour scheme and looking into separating the pinned posts.

Currently, unread stuff are in bold but at the moment it's not very visible on every setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.