Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird Proportion in First Person View

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by isaque_nilton, Oct 24, 2014.

1. isaque_nilton

isaque_nilton

I was trying to recreate my house in Unity by creating the rooms as the same size they are in real life, but when I walked through the room in first person view, it felt too cramped. Is there a way to fix that or I should just increase the size of them?

2. StarManta

StarManta

Increasing the size probably won't help. Since Unity doesn't actually have a defined unit for size in world space, your house could be 1 unit or 100 units tall and it will not necessarily change anything. (There is a recomendation to make 1 unit = 1 meter, but that's more of a standard convention than an actual thing; if you adjust the Gravity value to match the size, it can be anything.) If you've modeled your house to match the real world, then the discrepancy would be a feeling, not something affected by the units involved. It feels cramped, but that doesn't mean it is cramped. Correcting that feeling is where you should focus.

You may want to take some cues from cinematography. Movies can make large sets feel cramped and small sets feel spacious using a number of different techniques. My first choice: play with the Field of View on your camera. You might want to change the movement speed of your character controller (or whatever you're using to walk around), and/or the height at which the camera is. These things and many others can contribute to this sort of issue.

3. isaque_nilton

isaque_nilton

Thanks, I'll play around with the settings and see if I can get the desired feeling