Search Unity

Websocket for desktop, web and mobile [PC / MAC / Webplayer / WebGL / iOS / Android]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sephiroth74, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

Hello guys I'm happy to announce the availability of WebSocket for desktop, web and mobile.

Here is the link: http://u3d.as/aYE

Soon I will upload a Lite version (without mobile implementation).

This package provides code to use client websocket with only one implementation for all platforms.

Currently it works on Desktop (PC/MAC), WebPlayer, WebGL (with Unity 5), iOS (device or simulator) and Android. I didn't test on Linux but it should be the same than PC or Mac.

It does NOT require Unity Pro.

I used existing implementation for each platforms, so you can add or extend platforms if you want, for example you will be able to add Win8 platforms.

You can use this thread if you have questions or you can contact me directly : support@pavlou.fr.

Current functions on WebSocket object : Functions :
    - open connection
    - close connection
    - isOpen : test if the connection is open
    - send string message
    - send bytes data
    - open connection on secure webscoket : basic WSS connection : currently, I don't manage parameters for the connection, only direct opening and it doesn't work on Android, I will try to manage the direct connection on this platform fastly.

(Specific Unity 4.X, not necessary with Unity 5) : Currently the only manual step (only for free version of unity) is to rename/remove a dll when you switch platforms (on desktop and webplayer you need this dll, but you must not have it on ios or Android).
    (You need to move some files in the Editor and Plugins folder the first time too).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

A code sample, you can find the full demo file in the package : check TestWebSocketController.cs.

Code (CSharp):
    2. // first step : we need to create the WebSocket
    3. //      You can use a websocketURL (ws://XXXXXXX or wss://XXXXXXXXX)
    4. //        You need to give a MonoBehaviour object who will receive events
    5. //        This object must extend WebSocketUnityDelegate interface
    6. //      For example : TestWebSocketController inherits of WebSocketUnityDelegate
    7. //        You can create your own websocket server
    8. //        for example : https://github.com/willryan/em-websocket
    9. // Warning : some libraries (for example on ios) don't support reconnection
    10. //         so you need to create a new websocketunity before each connect (destroy your object when receive a disconnect or an error)
    11. webSocket = new WebSocketUnity("ws://echo.websocket.org", this); // <= public server
    12. //webSocket = new WebSocketUnity("ws://localhost:8080", this); // <= local server
    14. // Second Step : we open the connection
    15. webSocket.Open();
    17. // Third Step : we need to close the connection when we finish
    18. webSocket.Close();
    20. // Fourth Step : we can send message
    21. //    In this sample, we are waiting a "echo" message from the server
    22. //    when we will receive this message, we will be able to change the display
    23. webSocket.Send("Hello World");
    25. // Fifth Step : we can send Data
    26. //    In this sample, we are waiting a "echo" message from the server
    27. //    when we will receive this message, we will be able to change the display
    28. // You need a server which manages bytes message
    30. int test1 = 42;
    31. int test2 = 33;
    32. byte[] data = new byte[8];
    34. byte[] testB1 = System.BitConverter.GetBytes(test1);
    35. byte[] testB2 = System.BitConverter.GetBytes(test2);
    37. testB1.CopyTo(data,0);
    38. testB2.CopyTo(data,4);
    40. webSocket.Send(data);
    After you need to implement the callbacks inherited of WebSocketUnityDelegate to manage all events :

Code (CSharp):
    1.     // Event when the connection has been opened
    2.     void OnWebSocketUnityOpen(string sender);
    4.     // Event when the connection has been closed
    5.     void OnWebSocketUnityClose(string reason);
    7.     // Event when the websocket receive a message
    8.     void OnWebSocketUnityReceiveMessage(string message);
    10.     // Event when the websocket receive data (on mobile : ios and android)
    11.     // you need to decode it and call after the same callback than PC
    12.     void OnWebSocketUnityReceiveDataOnMobile(string base64EncodedData);
    14.     // Event when the websocket receive data
    15.     void OnWebSocketUnityReceiveData(byte[] data);
    17.     // Event when an error occurs
    18.     void OnWebSocketUnityError(string error);

3. leifenberg1

leifenberg1

It doesn't seem to work on unity5

4. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

Hello, I didn't make the port for Unity 5. I will finish it asap, it has to be only a change of folder for some files. I will add the description of the process here to avoid the waiting of new version on the asset store (put I will submit too).

5. Talok

Talok

Is it working with Unity 5?

6. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

I did basic tests and it seems work (I need to test ios to be sure), you just need to make a settings linked to new Unity : you need to choose what will be the platform for all files in "plugins" folder :

- File in Android is only for Android (select the file and select platform in Propriety window).
    - Files in iOS are only for IOS
    - DLL in x86_64 are for Editor/Webplayer/Mac/Linux/Windows

Don't hesitate to say me if you have problems. I will upload the specific package for Unity 5 soon.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

7. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

I submitted the package for Unity5, it will be available in few days (after the validation process).

8. krmaicher

krmaicher

Is the version with the Unity 5 fix available now?

9. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

The unity5 version is in the validation process, it can take 10days, I sent the package last week.

10. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

Sorry, the package is in the store since yesterday, so according to your version of Unity, you can retrieve the package 4.X or 5.X. Say me if you meet problems with these packages.

11. benassia

benassia

Hi, just downloaded the package from the store and having no luck. Currently running on 4.6.6f2. The release notes say it is compatible with 5 but I am assuming it works with 4 also. Help?

12. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

Hello, there are two versions in the Asset Store : 5.0 and 4.6.1 but I don't know how Unity manages the versionning system, according to me if you went on the asset store with a 4.6.X version, you would download 4.6 version but it seems not work ? Can you send me (on my support mail) your package, I will send you the good one by mail.

13. MidgardDev

MidgardDev

Does this work with WebGL?

14. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

I never tested with WebGL, I will try this week end.

MidgardDev likes this.
  15. benassia

benassia

Hi Sephiroth74,

I will send you the package I received, I managed to get the ios version working but not the android, so hopefully the replacement will sort this out. Thanks for your help in the meantime

16. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

For tracking : we continued by mail and the package works on android. Don't hesitate to send me an email if you have other questions. I didn't have the time to test WebGL, I will try to test tomorrow, I will update this thread after :). Thanks.

MidgardDev likes this.
  17. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

Hello I tested, and it doesn't work with WebGL, I need to rebuild a lib, I will do the changes soon, I will update the code to be able to use Editor with ios and Android selectionned platform too.

18. MidgardDev

MidgardDev

Thanks for testing, tell me when it's fixed so I can purchase it expecting 0 problems!

19. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

Hello, I added WebGL support ( only on Unity 5, the code should work on Unity 4 but it will need manuel steps before build so I won't update Unity 4 package). You will be able to work in Editor when you select android, ios or WebGL build, I use now the desktop implementation for these cases.

I submited the package this morning so it will be available in few days.

20. annaniks

annaniks

I wont to connect wss://echo.websocket.org and get this message WebSocket Error : An exception has occurred while connecting.

21. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

Sorry, I didn't see the notification for this post, what is your unity version and the platform where you get the problem ?
    I used wss://echo.websocket.org to do my tests, I will check if something changed.

22. amlinux

amlinux

Hi Jonathan, is there any chance to have Android support for wss? If you don't have time to do it yourself, I will happily implement it myself and contribute back, if you don't mind of course.

char_stiles likes this.
  23. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

Hello, I won't have time these next weeks to do it. But if you want to do it, don't hesitate to send me an email (jonathan@pavlou.fr) and we will talk about it.

24. Beregolas

Beregolas

Hi Jonathan,
    The Package is working fine for ws: connections, but I have the same Problem with wss:// Requests to wss://echo.websocket.org "WebSocket Error : An exception has occurred while connecting."
    I'm using it to prototype a client in WebGL (current Unity version, 5.3.4), and sadly we don't have our own server set up right now, so I cannot test against another wss-server.

25. Rigor_Mortis

Rigor_Mortis

I came across this error when compiling for iOS with Unity 5:

ld: warning: ignoring file /AppleProjects/xxxx/Libraries/WebSocketUnity/Plugins/iOS/libWebSocketUnity-iossimulator.a, missing required architecture armv7 in file /AppleProjects/xxxx/Libraries/WebSocketUnity/Plugins/iOS/libWebSocketUnity-iossimulator.a (2 slices)
    Undefined symbols for architecture armv7:
    "_utf8_nextCharSafeBody", referenced from:
    -[SRWebSocket _innerPumpScanner] in libWebSocketUnity-ios.a(SRWebSocket.o)

Is there a fix for this ? I assume if I was compiling for only arm64 it would work fine but I want to support as many devices as possible.

Thanks,

Dave

26. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

Hello,

Yes I need to rebuild my library and update the package. It takes time to validate a new package, so send me an email (support@pavlou.fr) and I will send you the ios library.

Regards,
    Jonathan

27. ereneld

ereneld

28. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

Hello,

No I don't support custom header, it's a good idea.
    With my package, I support WebGL, ios, android with native implementation.

Jonathan

29. BenBart

BenBart

I'm having trouble getting this to work on Windows 10. Any tips on how to include "Websocket"? It is just being commented out, because of the conditional include statements?

30. Kalle-Cederstrom

Kalle-Cederstrom

How do I fix this in XCode 8?
    ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/UserName/Desktop/Projects/Project26/Libraries/Standard Assets/Scripts/WebSocketUnity/Plugins/iOS/libWebSocketUnity-iossimulator.a, missing required architecture arm64 in file /Users/UserName/Desktop/Projects/Project26/Libraries/Standard Assets/Scripts/WebSocketUnity/Plugins/iOS/libWebSocketUnity-iossimulator.a (2 slices)
    ld: '/Users/UserName/Desktop/Projects/Project26/Libraries/Standard Assets/Scripts/WebSocketUnity/Plugins/iOS/libWebSocketUnity-ios.a(WebSocketUnityInterface.o)' does not contain bitcode. You must rebuild it with bitcode enabled (Xcode setting ENABLE_BITCODE), obtain an updated library from the vendor, or disable bitcode for this target. for architecture arm64
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

31. btiger19

btiger19

Hi
    I just use golang for server backend, I can use browser to connect to the server and can send message and get message by websocket. But in Unity, I can not connect to the server, it's always said:
    WebSocket Close : An error has occurred while connecting.
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    TestWebSocketController:OnWebSocketUnityClose(String) (at Assets/Demo/TestWebSocketController.cs:119)
    WebSocketUnityCSharp:OnDisconnected(Object, CloseEventArgs) (at Assets/WebSocketUnity/Platforms/WebSocketUnityCSharp.cs:72)
    WebSocketCSharp.Ext:Emit(EventHandler`1, Object, CloseEventArgs)
    WebSocketCSharp.WebSocket:close(PayloadData, Boolean, Boolean)
    WebSocketCSharp.WebSocket:close(CloseStatusCode, String, Boolean)
    WebSocketCSharp.WebSocket:doHandshake()
    WebSocketCSharp.WebSocket:connect()

Here is the server code(golang):
    package main

import (
    "fmt"
    "log"
    "net/http"

"golang.org/x/net/websocket"
    )

func Echo(ws *websocket.Conn) {
    var err error

for {
    var reply string

if err = websocket.Message.Receive(ws, &reply); err != nil {
    fmt.Println("Can't receive")
    break
    }

fmt.Println("Received back from client: " + reply)

msg := "Received: _________" + reply
    fmt.Println("Sending to client: " + msg)

if err = websocket.Message.Send(ws, msg); err != nil {
    fmt.Println("Can't send")
    break
    }
    }
    }

func main() {
    http.Handle("/", websocket.Handler(Echo))

if err := http.ListenAndServe(":1235", nil); err != nil {
    log.Fatal("ListenAndServe:", err)
    }
    }

I'm using ws://127.0.0.1:1235 for testing.

32. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

Hello,

Can you send me an email (support@pavlou.fr), I will send you the source, you just need to rebuild it.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jonathan

33. eco_bach

eco_bach

Hi. So just to be clear, this is a client only, NOT a websocket server solution, correct?

34. Sephiroth74

Sephiroth74

Hello, yes it's only a client implementation.

Regards,
    Jonathan

35. takoy

takoy

Hello Jonathan,

I've been using your package for awhile now.
    Currently I am using it for an Android device and I am having issues with it.

My app sends through the WebSocket a big chunk of data which causes it to crash/ get stuck.

The reason for that is that when I use the WebSocket I have to use it through a MonoBehaviour object which implements the WebSocketUnityDelegate interface.
    In order to solve this issue I was thinking of using the WebSocket.Send inside a thread.

The only problem with that is that I won't have callbacks from the native code since you are passing a gameobject name to the AndroidJavaObject:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public WebSocketUnityAndroid(string url, string gameObjectName){
    2.         object[] parameters = new object[2];
    3.         parameters[0] = url;
    4.         parameters[1] = gameObjectName;
    5.         mWebSocket = new AndroidJavaObject("com.jonathanpavlou.WebSocketUnity", parameters);
    6.     }
    Is there a way to bypass it? Implement a different interface for it?

Thanks,
    Tako

36. takoy

takoy

Is there still support for this plugin???

37. BillyMFT

BillyMFT

Im trying to instantiate a gameobject when a message is received but I'm getting this error message:

Assertion failed on expression: '!(!Thread::EqualsCurrentThreadID(GetPersistentManager().GetMainThreadID()) && mode != kCreateObjectFromNonMainThread)'

Any thoughts?

Thanks

38. BillyMFT

BillyMFT

ok I got it working by storing all the messages in a List and then looping through the list in Update.

39. GoEpik

GoEpik

Hello, I just purchased your package and I want to know if there is possible to use http protocol based server instead of ws or wss.

Please, just let me know asap

40. AlexHell

AlexHell

Hello! I also need to know: does it work on editor+webgl+android+ios (all of this) by WSS (secure)?

41. jqian1590

jqian1590

build failed with Xcode 9 and IOS 11.4. There are some linker errors

'WebSocketUnity/Plugins/iOS/libWebSocketUnity-ios.a(WebSocketUnityInterface.o)' does not contain bitcode. You must rebuild it with bitcode enabled (Xcode setting ENABLE_BITCODE), obtain an updated library from the vendor, or disable bitcode for this target. for architecture arm64

Help!!!!!

42. NorthStar79

NorthStar79

is this asset supported still? , I am considering to buy this but it is an old asset and I just want to be sure that it still works

tonialatalo likes this.
  43. jbrasero

jbrasero

Hi,
    I have found the same problem that other member:

ld: '/Users/jesusbrasero/Documents/GitHub/unity_ar_app/iOS/Libraries/WebSocketUnity/Plugins/iOS/libWebSocketUnity-ios.a(WebSocketUnityInterface.o)' does not contain bitcode. You must rebuild it with bitcode enabled (Xcode setting ENABLE_BITCODE), obtain an updated library from the vendor, or disable bitcode for this target. for architecture arm64

After disable bitcode, my error is following:

Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
    "_utf8_nextCharSafeBody", referenced from:
    -[SRWebSocket _innerPumpScanner] in libWebSocketUnity-ios.a(SRWebSocket.o)
    ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64

How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance

44. jbrasero

jbrasero

Hi!! Did you solve it?
    Thanks!!

45. johanandre1976

johanandre1976

Hi!

I seem to have some trouble with reconnecting if the socket server goes down and comes back online.
    What is the proper way to handle this?

zeroui_tanuj likes this.
  46. zeroui_tanuj

zeroui_tanuj

I am having problems related to ios app getting frozen in the background on attempting WS connection when it's not available.