Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Webplayer: Bad File Length?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by behealed, Jan 5, 2012.

1. behealed

behealed

I made some unity3d webplayer files back in april of 2011 and they played just fine back then, for me, and for other people I showed them to. I don't know what version of the webplayer excisted back then, but I see it was at least 3.0 because the javascript in my html files shows that it looks for 3.0 or 3.x to be installed.

But when it tries to load the unity game file, it has a "Bad File Length" error.

Looking around online, it looks like people generally think that this error is caused by the webplayer either (a) casheing old data, or (b) the webplayer gets packets from the server too slowly, and drops packets.

Neither of these are true in my case because (a) I've attempted to load the webplayer into two different browsers, and on two different computers, one of which had NEVER had the unity web player installed before and had NEVER played ANY unity3d game of any sort (it was a new PC). and (b) I'm loading the files directly from my hard drive, so it is not possible that "packers" were dropped from the "server". But just in case, I also tried opening it from the server, and that also generated the same "Bad File Length" error.

And just in case you are wondering: No, it can't be because the file is actually damaged. Because I had two different compilations of this same game, each with a different "scene" of the game so they are very different in their file lengths, and both of them are generating the same error.

I've attempted to revert back to a 3.0 installation of the webplayer with no luck. All I could find were 2.x and 3.1 and 3.4. I tried them all, with the same errors resulting. I could not find a perfect "3.0" webplayer version.

You can see both versions here:
    http://www.heavenwardministries.org/webplayer.html
    http://www.heavenwardministries.org/webplayer2.html