Search Unity

Web Player (No free uploads?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MJohnson24, Oct 24, 2014.

1. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Hey there, ive read dozens of posts on many different forums within the last few days. I am new to the asset store, and am low on funds, to purchase any type of website hosting, or premium package of dropbox, etc..

Is there absolutely no free way of putting my web player demo online for free? I would really like people to check out my assets that i am selling, but most people say they would rather see a web player demo before purchasing, and I don't blame them. Making demos, and 3D modells comes very easy for me.

I wish unity had its own way to convert the stored folder of html to public url.

Can anybody please help me? I would really like to make 3D modelling a career, and would love to post my web demos!

2. marcipw

marcipw

Hi MJohnson24, You can display your models with Sketchfab
    I think you can display a webplayer in Dropbox but haven't tried as I have been using Hostgator for years. Very reasonably priced and reliable hosting.

3. chrisso

chrisso

Hi. Is there an issue with using free hosting, dropbox, or similar?

4. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

unfortunately, dropbox no longer allows access to create a public folder with the free account, i currently do not have enough income to pay for the monthly fee, on top of everything else we humans pay in our daily lives lol. Im just really hoping there is some way to do this for free, because all i need to do is post a free demo, for viewing purposes.

5. carking1996

carking1996

What? You should have the public in free dropbox

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yup I do, but sometimes it's not automatically there you have to create it.

7. wccrawford

wccrawford

carking1996 likes this.
  8. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

so does anybody recommend anything else, or should i just wait, and buy the upgraded version of dropbox?

9. Zeblote

Zeblote

You can use google drive to host it for free, there was a topic about it some time ago

Oana likes this.
  10. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

NomadKing, ippdev and Whippets like this.
  11. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

Discussion on Reddit on how I put up the latest web playable version of Project Gliese using Blogger (free) and Google Drive (free):
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/2kasfi/lessons_learned_for_hosting_a_unity_web_game_in/

The problem with the Free Web Hosting sites in general is that if you have a LOT of traffic they either stop being free, or tend to stop working since you are on a shared resource. Less of an issue with Google since they actually make money from traffic (in the abstract) as opposed to most web hosts who make money from charging to host content.

Hope this helps!

NomadKing likes this.
  12. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Well yes, thank you for your posts, ive uploaded to google drive, and heard they can host, everything works fine except from the average error that ive heard occurs from people: upload_2014-10-26_20-55-30.png

The "error" message pops up, with no play option, even though I have the unity web player downloaded. although I did not try "blogger" yet, I do wonder why this is happening.

13. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

Screenshot is showing an HTTPS address - did you change the provided SHARE link to use HTTP, and make sure to remove the "end bit" with "/edit?usp=sharing" as well? If you did both of those, what message does it show if you click on the "Error Details"? Lastly, have you tried another browser (I always use Chrome and sometimes Firefox so don't know if there might be an IE issue)?

14. SolitudeSA

SolitudeSA

MJohnson24, I'm currently renting a cloud server and you are welcome to host your demo on my server until you find your feet. The only catch is that I can't give you remote desktop access so you'll have to give the file to me every time you want it updated. PM me if you are interested.

15. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Thank you SolitudeSA, I will keep that in mind, greatly appreciated.

And EwanRGR, I did everything according to the previous shared link, tried both http and https, and got rid of the "/edit" line etc. Here is the link for my web player, because I have not tried it on other browsers, and maybe it will work for any of you!
    http://googledrive.com/host/0BwOKt0_Z5gP-N2xDWjNQTnVTQmM

16. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

It appears you are trying to run the file directly from Google Drive rather than serve the file to a web page. I am not sure how well that will work. I clicked the link and got the usual "puzzle piece" and then right clicked to give the plug in permission to run. I didn't get an error, but I didn't see anything happen either (other than the puzzle piece was replaced with the Unity title). How big is the file? Perhaps I just wasn't patient enough :)

17. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

I believe the file is only 16k kb. but yes, I guess I will try blogger or some other form of free web hosting today, and hopefully all with go accordingly.

18. SuB_- Revolt

SuB_- Revolt

You should look Revolt Servers. I have packages starting at 2.50$ per month only.

(My first post really had to be about advertising haha, I am def. not here to advertise, but figured since you needed something very cheap to be able to work properly, well here it is).

Let me know if you have any questions :)

19. SuB_- Revolt

SuB_- Revolt

Fixed. My bad.

20. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

One other option I just recently learned about is itch.io - which appears to be a cross between Steam and Kongregate. Have just put up one of my older games there for DL, and am putting up the latest build of Project Gliese as a Web Playable version. That might be easier for you if you don't need a blog for anything other than to host the game.

I do have to ask how you created a 16KB unity3d file though. That sounds hardly large enough to have a single image file let alone to have something playable...

21. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

No miss read, not 16kb, 16k kb. and ive created my blogger account, and when typing to post an html, what else do I type once I copy and paste my html, a believe there Is some coding to type in to make it work on blogger? Or am I just not making any sense? lol

22. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

The HTML should be on a page you link to from your blog page. As the original posting explained, the idea is to use the "Pages" option in Blogger to seperate from the rest of your blog. HTML should then just need to be pasted into one of the pages, and a link to that page from the main blog should get you there.

Also, I really would suggest the itch.io option as it requires less web coding skills and will give you a little additional promotion. If you only have the one game it is probably overkill to do the Blogger option. In my case I've had the blog for a few years, so needed to have in both.