Search Unity

Warping animation in Unity

Discussion in '2D' started by Wiremuch, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Wiremuch

Wiremuch

Hey,

So I'm trying to find the best way to have a 2D tree slow swaying in the background. A sprite sheet for this would be too large, given the amount of 'frames' needed to make it look smooth. But since the animation is pretty much just a warped distortion, is there a way to do this within Unity itself?

I've looked up creating a mesh from sprites (not too familiar with using meshes in Unity) and there are ways to warp meshes I believe, but the create mesh feature is Pro only right?

Any workarounds on doing it the free version?

2. sandboxed

sandboxed

Unity Technologies

At the moment there is no sprite deforming support in unity (not that i remember off the top of my head).

However, asset store solutions like https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/908 have what you are looking for without huge spritesheets.

And with Unity 5, you get all features of the editor in Unity Free too.

3. 2dSparrow

2dSparrow

An easy way to do this is in the unity animation editor. You can cut up the tree into bits, and then in an image editor you can make the bits overlay, when the pieces rotate you will be able to move them at these intersecting points to make it look as if the tree is swaying.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Wiremuch

Wiremuch

Hmmm, will check it out thanks for the suggestions!