Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Warfront Defenders

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FlyingRobot, Aug 9, 2013.

1. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

$header.png

Warfront Defenders: Westerplatte is the first game of a series of tactical mini games based on WW2. The gameplay is a single player hybrid of Tower Defense and good-ol' RTS. Played on a diorama like map inspired from Battle of Westerplatte which marked the start of World War 2. Though this is not a chronological account of the battle, the gameplay and the tactics are heavily inspired from the proceedings of the historical battle and it's challenges are designed to remember the defenders of Westerplatte.

The Battle of Westerplatte was unique in many ways, and this game will try to reflect on that. Players can expect that they will be outnumbered, outgunned, but not out of tactics. Also, expect enemies with brains. They'll react to your strategies and apply counter strategies to break down your defenses. All you have is a handful of soldiers to stand in their way.

Features :
    - A hybrid of Tower Defense and RTS Action.
    - Experience dynamic destructible environments.
    - Position your soldiers anywhere and use cover tactics
    - Issue commands like fire at will, take cover and target specific enemies.
    - Equip/Add health and Upgrade/Downgrade your soldiers during battle.
    - Achievements and unlocks galore to keep you engaged for hours.
    - Build fortifications, lay mines to slow down or kill enemies.
    - Reactive enemy AI, changes strategies based upon your movement.
    - Overwhelming bosses like Battleship Schleswig-Holstein and Stuka dive bombers.

Website
    www.warfrontdefenders.com

Screens

More Screens
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/129752387@N06/

Alpha
    http://www.warfrontdefenders.com/playtest.html

Steam GreenLight
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=529224280

There's a small feedback form below the player, I'd really appreciate if you take 2 mins to posts some feedback over there.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  2. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

File Repository and backup
    1. Google Drive and Dropbox. Using that for a while. Saved me numerous times.

Game Design :
    1. Pen and paper.

Concept Art
    1. PhotoShop CS3 and Wacom and lots of inspiration.

3D Asset Development :
    1. Blender
    2. Photoshop CS3

Programming
    1. Unity (FREE)
    2. PlayMaker
    3. NGUI and NGUI Hud Data
    4. Cartoon FX pack

Sound and Music:
    1. Outsourced

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  3. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

4. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

After working back and forth several pathfinding solutions, I'm settling on Unity Navmesh. I know that isn't a favorite, but suits me!

[video=youtube_share;-qmSZx8Qq-s]http://youtu.be/-qmSZx8Qq-s

5. Foestar

Foestar

I like your title image. The characters graphic reminds me of nostalgic games that I miss very much. :D

6. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Little sneak peek on the Wave Manager and the workflow of designing the Waves!

[video=youtube_share;NcykZUdua8I]http://youtu.be/NcykZUdua8I

7. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Working on the enemy detection. The terrain, walls, hideouts and covers will play a major role in Warfront Defenders.

[video=youtube_share;_bKd5_gI5Rw]http://youtu.be/_bKd5_gI5Rw

8. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

so damn adorable! love it! keep up the good work.

9. mcunha98

mcunha98

Good work

10. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Creep behaviors 01 and 02

Seek Tower and Fire back
    [video=youtube_share;vRGloj0ry98]http://youtu.be/vRGloj0ry98

Flee to Nearest Cover Locations
    [video=youtube_share;WSf9551ayOc]http://youtu.be/WSf9551ayOc

11. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Finished the Title Image Today! Made with Modo, ZB and PS.

Let me know if you like it!

12. ambitious_sound

ambitious_sound

looks very good! both :)

13. LaneFox

LaneFox

Man looking really cool, are you using the A* system you were working on?

14. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Nope, A* proved to be quite slow. Even arongranberg.com one was not fast enough. I'm using Unity NavMesh. And quite pleasenly surprised by it's performance.

Keep watching, updates coming up.

15. Brian@Artific

Brian@Artific

Looks great! Are you writing your own AI from scratch or using something like RAIN?

16. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

I'm doing my own AI. RAIN behaviours didn't prove to be granular enough for what I wanted. Also, was dissapointed by the obstacle avoidance of RAIN.

17. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Basic Enemy Classes are done.

1. Infantry - These are the foot soldiers. Their basic goal is to reach the destination or your command center. Some of them are courageous, they stand up and fight back. And some of them flees for cover when fired upon. Also, their courage increases when they destroy your soldiers.

2. Mechanized Infantry - These are Infantry carrying armored vehicles. When they are fired upon the riders fire back. You can choose to kill the driver inspite of taking fire from other riders, because if the driver dies, the vehicle will be abandoned and the riders will have to follow on foot.

3. Armor - These are battle tanks, with varying degrees of devastation. Your ordinary infantry doesn’t have a chance against these beasts. They will not only kill your infantry but also destroy the tower position and you will not be able to use that position for deploying forces again.

Check out their mechanics.

[video=youtube_share;9c4kPZkow_4]http://youtu.be/9c4kPZkow_4

Next up, Soldier/Tower deployment and Commands.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  18. gtzpower

gtzpower

I love tower defense games. Not sure if I have ever played one where the enemy fights back, so thats a neat feature. Looks like this game would be a lot of fun to work on :) Great work on the title image! It looks fantastic!

19. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Thanks Man!

Here's an update on the Command Panel

[video=youtube_share;IP68YuikvJM]http://youtu.be/IP68YuikvJM

Here's an interesting comparison between different levels of bravery. Remember Gorman and Hicks? Now, if the bravery(valor) will decrease if you use fall back (regroup) and will increase when they kill enemies. So, you can make a brave person out of a coward.

[video=youtube_share;RBO0HWeF3s8]http://youtu.be/RBO0HWeF3s8

20. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

It would be interesting to make vehicles mobile cover locations for a few slots of infantry. They would seek out cover behind a vehicle if the vehicle is between them and the shooter.

21. mcunha98

mcunha98

Nice result !

22. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Nice idea. Will try that.

23. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Taking upon your idea, here is another update to the enemy behaviors in the TD game :

The enemy infantry runs for cover when under fire, they usually run for static cover locations spread throughout the level, but in some cases, like, when they find a tank is nearer, they run to seek the cover behind or at the side of the tanks. And thus becomes trickier to kill.

[video=youtube_share;e2MnQu3WVcU]http://youtu.be/e2MnQu3WVcU

24. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Nice one! ^_^

25. junglejapes

junglejapes

So... You play as the Germans on D-Day I guess? I always wondered why there hadn't been a game like that.

26. coingod

coingod

From what I understand you play as US defending your position from a German assault. The models are just prototypes.

It would be nice to be able to switch teams and defend as German from an Allied assault. Or even better, be the one who assaults, with limited number of units or something.

27. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

I'm keeping this as a game of defence tactics. It will have levels made out of famous battles of WW2. The player will always represent the defensive country and the invaders would be driven by the AI.

So, you will be defending Westerplatte as Polish Millitary, Sedan as French, Stalingard as Russians, and yes, as Germans in Invasion of Normandy. Interestingly there would be very few occasions where you'd be representing US. US were not in the defensive lineup that much during WW2. May be the most famous battles where US soldiers were defending was Battle of Bulge.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  28. ScottSewards

ScottSewards

I got my fingers crossed this game gets finished. Loving the fresh ideas, constant updates and support for the game. Dedication is something a lot of people don't have thus end up leaving a great game unfinished.

Scott.

29. Sebrz

Sebrz

Great idea, bro! i like a lot the design and concept of it. i love the way you progress on each video update. Ah, the models prototype are pretty good by the way.

I'm new around here and i there's not much things to say, but... it would be nice too if you add some complements like planting mines to make high damage and maybe something like hawthorn barricade to stop the infantery path.

Well, nice game ;) go ahead and keep on it!

excuse my english ...

see ya!

30. DexRobinson

DexRobinson

I think this game looks really cool an unique. Don't think I have ever seen a TD were the enemies fight back. Good idea wish I had thought of it. Even the simple looking models have a cool look to them. Good work, glad to see one of your games is going to be of use.

31. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Thanks guys. I'm keeping this tight.

The barricades and mines will be added as different tactical weapon. I'll come to that in a while.

32. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

GUI : The GUI is divided into three section

The bottom panel of Soldiers in Hand, each one with Health, XP and Ammo bars. Also, there's a medal bar depicting the veteran status and access to advanced weaponery.

The right popup panel is the Ammo Dump, from it you can arm your soldier, resupply his ammo and rejuvinate his health. Soldiers on field can't be resupplied, they need to return to base by 'regroup'ing.

The left popup is the soldier specific panel, where you can check and load your soldier with weapons, ammo and rejuvinate his health. Also, this panel is used for upgrading the soldier veteran status following 3 career paths. Soldier can only be equipped with weapons matching his veteran status. Once a soldier gains full xp on his current weapon, you can upgrade his veteran status and access advanced weaponery.

[video=youtube_share;XiSZFxpZdds]http://youtu.be/XiSZFxpZdds

33. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Getting started with the art. Deviating a little from the original manga chibi style into this. Please tell me if you like them.

$soldiercharacters1.png

34. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Here's how the characters are looking in 3D.

35. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Color concept of the first level : Westerplatte

36. TheRaider

TheRaider

They look totally great!

37. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Revamped some mechanics and the GUI section.

Working on making the first level playable for the first playtesting. Catch the WebGL feed of the level in progress.

www.warfrontdefenders.com

38. kiempoturner

kiempoturner

is it mobile ready?

39. IAmCraigSnedeker

IAmCraigSnedeker

Honestly, this looks like one of the best tower defense games I have ever seen so far (granted, I'm not a big tower defense player). The fact that the enemy fire back and take cover makes it unique.

sgtkoolaid likes this.
  40. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

I agree with iamcraig, it definitely puts a twist in the genre and separates you from the rest of the pack. good job on that. hope to see more as it develops. I for one am a TD fan. :) so I am giggly with excitement.

41. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Almost feeling like necro posting my own thread. But, feels good to be back at working on this project after a long time.

Here's the latest screenshot.

42. gtzpower

gtzpower

Glad to hear you are back at it! The game looks GREAT!

43. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Thanks buddy.

The first playable is now live. It consists of only the training section of the game. But the gameplay should be well explained there.

Title Screen

Playtest Link

http://www.warfrontdefenders.com/Webplayer/Playtest.html

Please play and let me know your feedback. There's a small feedback form below the player. Would really appreciate if you take 2 mins to fill that. Or you can reply here in details.

Waiting for your feedback guys.

44. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Other than wanting to rotate the camera view, it works.

45. Velo222

Velo222

Hey FlyingRobot,

I did the training session but that was all. Was that all there was to do? I like the simplicity of your UI and the controls are very easy. I like the guy in the corner teaching me how to play the game. I know it was just the tutorial, but it seemed like I didn't even play a game really....maybe I did something wrong? Two enemies attacked and my guy shot them, and it was over.

I feel like I didn't have enough gameplay to even judge your game at all. So that is my feedback, maybe I missed something?

46. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Do you mean the camera rotation is not working? Middle click and drag?

47. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

No, you didn't miss anything. This is only the training/tutorial level, the game level is coming up next. I wanted some feedback on the training before I get to show the game.

48. Matijas39

Matijas39

49. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Can't thank you enough for this. Changing it right away.

What happened at Westerplatte is such an inspiration for me, last thing I'd want is to make any mistake with sentiments attached with the coat of arms.

50. Matijas39

Matijas39