Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to make a puzzle game. Which tutorials I need to take?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Bhishma, May 20, 2015.

1. Bhishma

Bhishma

I have something like this in mind. I don't know which tutorials will help me achieve this purpose. The thought of reading through all the tutorials to filter the information I need is making me really frustrated.
    Any other help in regarding to achieve this purpose is also appreciated.

2. Tiles

Tiles

Don't even try to to learn the basics by making a specific game like this. That's a dead road, it already requires ways too much knowledge and skills for a beginner. You need to learn how to develop a game in general before you touch your pet project. This way is much shorter than the trial and error way with developing your dream game in the first place, and fail at it again and again.

So what you need is beginner tutorials, which most probably has nothing to do with the game you want to develop. See learning section here at this page.

But tutorials will just take you this and this far anyways. The key is to develop something, so DO it. Start with the smallest possible game project. Something like a pong or a breakout. Then solve one problem after another. And FINISH it, including everything like sound fx, music, menu, manual, etc. . You will be surprised how much problems even with the smallest possible game will arrive. And that's why it is a good idea to learn development with very small games.

3. Bhishma

Bhishma

Thanks for giving me the answer that was no help to the problem mentioned. And thanks for treating me like a person who doesn’t have any common sense, if you didn't tell me I would never have thought that I would have to complete the basic tutorials.
    Maybe next time someone asks you how " I want to become a doctor , What subjects i should focus on ?" You can come up with you genius advice that "don't even think about becoming doctor. You need to pass high school, first " and then feel proud about your self for helping a naive soul with your super advanced and complicated advice.

khuraijamupendrajit likes this.
  4. Tiles

Tiles

You're welcome :)

Did you really not understand the answer? Or is it simply not the answer that you wanted to hear? ;)

There is no shortcut. You have to learn the basics at one point. And once you have learned and understood the basics you will be able to make your puzzle game. So that's the tutorials that you need, the basic tutorials. To stay with your doctor analogy, yes, i told you that you need to learn how to read and to write before you can even think of becoming a doctor. When that's not obvious for you then you might have the wrong hobby here.

What you miss is: You don't make a shooter game, a jump n run, a MMORPG, or in your case a puzzle game. You make a software with this and that features. And this always starts and develops the same way. And with nearly always the same components. A Pong is the mother of all movement. A Pac Man is the mother of all AI and so on. This is the fundament. It all builds on top of each other. Down to the basic tutorials.

And you miss the basics as long as you ask yourself how to make your puzzle game. Your puzzle game starts with Pong. That's where you learn about movement.

We can help here with specific questions. Like how to make a healthbar. How to make a game is not a specific quesiton.

mkphotoink likes this.
  5. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

@Bhishma The general advice that @Tiles is giving is correct. If it is off-target, then you must forgive Tiles, as we get many many people who come here and only want to know how to do the one thing they have in their mind.

I definitely would suggest that you run all the basic tutorials in our Learn section: Roll-a-Ball, Space Shooter, etc.. And try a few of the classics, as Tiles suggests: pong, breakout, etc. We have several of these in our live training archives...

Now, all that being said, if you're looking at making a HOG (Hidden Object Game), like you'd see from Big a Fish and other publishers, I'd suggest you concentrate on 2D tutorials. We have several of these in the live training archives, including a catch game and an angry birds-like game. We have some 2D platformer examples as well...

Lastly, you may also want to check the blog for 2D information and, more specifically, a post by Brett Bibbey on a pipeline for creating photoshop documents for each game page or scene in a HOG, and using scripts, export the layers from PS and import them into Unity.

Be aware that HOGs, like many other niche game genres, have many subtle and specific details that the audience expects in a game for it to be successful.

mkphotoink and Tiles like this.
  6. jhocking

jhocking

Way to cop a nasty attitude man. His advice was sound, and I agree with all of it. There is no direct answer to the question you asked, so instead he answered how you should go about learning this stuff. You may think his answer was "no help to the problem", but in fact it was the best possible answer.

As for thinking he treated you like you're stupid, he wasn't commenting on you specifically; this is actually a very common problem for all beginners. Note that you did say "The thought of reading through all the tutorials to filter the information I need is making me really frustrated" which makes it sound like you intend to skip the basic tutorials.

7. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Hi i'm sorry for popping in like this but there is a asset you can buy in the asset store called adventure creator that will do what you want. But yeah still need to learn the basics of unity first and then learn adventure creator. It is quite simple to get a game like that in adventure creator and a great forum.