Search Unity

[W.I.P] Level Helper | Add stuff to your scene faster

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Deepwolf413, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Deepwolf413

Deepwolf413

Hi, I am making a Level Helper to add stuff to the scene faster. I wanted to make this to add stuff into my scene faster, and to make levels faster.

Video 1 | Update 1

Video 2 | Update 2

I still need to make the GUI better positioned, and scaled, because right now it fills up alot.

You just select the object you want to spawn and you press Shift + E with your mouse somewhere in the sceneview to spawn it at the mouse.

Those without preview pictures is either particles or other things. But don't worry, i will add so particles have a preview image, but where it says "Particle" instead.

I will add more features :)
    ============================================================
    Planned features:

Ability to search, | DONE.
    Ability to refresh.(No need to re-open when there is a new prefab) | DONE
    Make your own catagories | But first i have to find out how, and i will :)

More features when i can think of any, or some awesome suggestions.
    =============================================================

You are welcome to make suggestions :)
    I'm learning too, which is a good thing ^.^

And it will be free.

PS. I probably forgot something, but i can't remember ^.^

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. Deepwolf413

Deepwolf413

You can now search and refresh so you don't have to re-open every time there's a new prefab, or a prefab lesser.

I will try to do the catagories thing, i need some suggestions too. Like what to add, or what i could make better :)

3. Deepwolf413

Deepwolf413

New video, check the first post :)
    The catagories will be in the next update.

4. eelstork

eelstork

I might give a try but, have you researched first for similar Assets in store?

5. Deepwolf413

Deepwolf413

No i haven't checked the asset store, but i do this because i want to contribute something :)

And not only do people benefit from this, i do too because i learn, and find new ways to do things :)

Something that motivates me is contributing something i made and is useful. And i'm learning more stuff at the same time ;-)

6. Deepwolf413

Deepwolf413

Got the catagory thing sorted out :)

It works pretty good.

I'm curious how much impact the Level Helper has on the performance, any way to test that out?

7. eelstork

eelstork

Removing the Level Helper and comparing frame rate with and without?

8. Deepwolf413

Deepwolf413

Not sure how i can check framerate when not in playmode

EDIT: But it does not look like it has slowed down when i have it on or off, i can't see a difference, it might be a small difference then.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  9. eelstork

eelstork

My bad, it may indeed be quite difficult to do in edit mode since Update is not called on a frame basis.
    But, don't bash your head with this, the performance hit should be negligible in most cases.

10. Deepwolf413

Deepwolf413

I will probably have to optimize it, because it reduces the time to load playmode, and compile time. So i will now take some time to optimize till i'm happy with it :)

11. eelstork

eelstork

In case you are still interested, I found that Time.realtimeSinceStartup is updated in edit mode. This should be useful to test performance.

Although not very practical you could at least get a frame rate reading while moving an object, by combining this API with Update()