Search Unity

[W.I.P] 2.5D Fighting Game Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Sep 24, 2013.

?

Witch version would you be most interested in?

1. Basic

22 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Advanced

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Pro

21 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Pro (Source)

60 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. Mistermind

Mistermind

New screenshots of the Global Editor!
    $GeneralEditor.jpg

$GlobalEditor2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. jaelove

jaelove

Very very nice. What is custom hit options is that where moves like the dash go?

3. Mistermind

Mistermind

No those are in case you want to have other "impacts on hit" other then the standard 4 hits (weak, medium, heavy and crumple). Each hit has its own classified hit type. Now instead of just the 4 I showed previously, you can also have 3 custom ones, 7 total.
    Say you want to have a special move that when it hit the scene stops immediately to write something on the screen. If all the other 4 basic hits are taken, you can use one of the custom hits to stop the action for longer by setting the freezing time to a much higher value.

4. jaelove

jaelove

I was just going to ask if it was possible to have moves and special moves trigger title call outs on the screen and if I'm not mistaken with what you're saying that is possible

5. painkiller2007

painkiller2007

Holy S***!! This thing is amazing...
    When do you release it...
    I wish to be the first to buy it!! Hahahah..

Good work mate!! Really great work... Let us know if you need any help at all!! Lol...Im a programmer too :p

6. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you! But at this point of development what I really need is more animations. The programming part is nearly complete =)
    Btw, here is a screenshot you guys may like:
    $Workplace2.jpg

I managed to get the hitbox creator completely functional on the editor window. Now technically speaking you won't need the hierarchy or the inspector to work with UFE!

7. jaelove

jaelove

Impressive, can you take a creen shot of the particle effect window?

8. Mistermind

Mistermind

sure, which one exactly? Here is the one Inside the move editor:
    $ParticleEffectsMoveEdtiro.jpg

9. painkiller2007

painkiller2007

The hitbox creator thing is supercool!!
    Well thats actually good to hear...All the coding is done!! :D
    I guess its coming to the release stage very soon..

Bad at animations!! Still i would love to help you out in any way i can...
    Beta testers or something when you will need...Please do not hesitate, my friend! :)

10. jaelove

jaelove

Also notice the 3d hit detection option box that's for actual polygonal collision detection correct?

11. Mistermind

Mistermind

exactly =)
    Even though the system currently only supports 2.5D games you can still set the hitboxes to be detected in a 3 dimensional plane. Using that feature should cause minimal impact currently though as the characters can currently only move in a 2 dimentional field. But say you have a spinning kick and you want to leave the hitboxes all the way through. With this feature on the impact should only occur when the hitboxes collide in a 3 dimensional field instead of lining up in a 2D field.

12. jaelove

jaelove

Cool stuff I had two questions about the controls. I know you have the option for charge moves but can your system distinguish between button holds and jumps? like holding up would do a vertical jump but tapping up and kick wold do a jump kick.
    The second question is can we select diagonal angles for command motions?

13. Mistermind

Mistermind

Well actually to perform air moves you don't use the charge system. You just select the possible stance of the move as "Straight Jump" or "Angled Jump".
    Charging should be used for ground attacks where the first button (or axis) you press to execute a sequence of buttons should be held down for the amount of seconds defined in the move set of your character.

Currently diagonal angles are not fully supported yet. diagonal angles in Unity is the same as horizontal axis press + vertical axis press so technically speaking you can execute any charge-back, forward, punch with charge-back-down, forward, punch. However you won't be able to currently distinguish a button sequence that ends at a diagonal axis (such as a tiger knee motion).
    I'll try working on that on post release.

14. jaelove

jaelove

I may have confused you with my wording I didn't mean charge for air moves my mistake for not clarifying. In Virtua Fighter they have 3d movement so they had to make a way for the player to walk up into the foreground without jumping since both of the moves shared the up button command. If I am not mistaken if you hold the up button you walk up and if you tap up it jumps.

15. Mistermind

Mistermind

Ah I see.
    Currently UFE only works with a 2.5D structure so the 3D hits won't serve the desired purpose for now. In later versions I'll be adding a full structure for 3D "arena like" fighting games such as Tekken and Virtual Fighter.

16. jaelove

jaelove

I think I confused you again lol I just wanted to know if we can select a hold down to execute command option outside of the tap button and charge commands you already have, or maybe charge can serve the same purpose.
    Lastly is controller rumble supported in this version?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  17. Mistermind

Mistermind

I think I understand now. I don't think that will be possible currently, but I can see a way around it as a post release.
    Currently, every move has to have at least one execution button, and the charge option is only available in the sequence button, so in order for the engine to acknowledge a single button sequence hold as a move it needs some exception fields. The open source should serve the solution for you in this case, as you can have someone navigate through the engine and edit the special move algorithms as you please.

Later on with the addition of a 3D arena engine this should be much easier to handle.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  18. jaelove

jaelove

Appreciate the responses so many questions after a while can get annoying lol. Greatly anticipating the release I've been working around the clock to have my assets ready for your engine with the information you've provide thus far

19. jaelove

jaelove

any updates :D

20. Mistermind

Mistermind

In these past few days unfortunately not much hehe.
    I've been reviewing and adding many minor features. I'm also trying to adapt the code to be fully accessible through external scripting. Not as easy as I thought it would be.
    The good news is that for now the Editor GUI is 100% complete.
    Now even though I should have started working on tutorials and documentations, I got carried away with the now required Intro, Character Selection and Stage Selection. I gonna have to have those if I want to have a presentable closed source version. With any luck that should only take this week.

21. jaelove

jaelove

By intro do you mean start screen intro or character pre battle intro?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  22. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

These are must have in your package if you want to have something absolutely complete and appealing. Better take the time to make the things right even if it's delaying slightly the release date. Customers will still be there waiting eagerly for this awesome feature to come out. Don't worry about that.

23. Mistermind

Mistermind

The start screen (where you see the game logo and the menu options). I gonna have that part completely open source and independent of the engine for all versions. I really REALLY wanna make the character pre battle intro before release too, but it all depends on how much time I will have left.

Thanks for the tip =) I'll definitely focus my priorities on those for now.

24. DanielUDI

DanielUDI

Hello, First thank you for doing this, I was looking for something to replace the egine I use (MUGEN / Elecbyte) because, even though she was great, does not what I need. And your job is perfect for me, I ask you: would it be possible to add an online mode and characters in 2d sprites?

And anything that I can help can contact, although I'm not a good programmer, just Graphic Designer (Photoshop) and HTML/CSS/PHP/etc... ! but if you want an official website I can help (for free, because i love your work even) :D

25. Mistermind

Mistermind

Oh yea, good old MUGEN. I still remember playing with it back in 99!
    Currently the Universal Fighting Engine will be only available in 2.5D (a 2D gameplay in a 3D environment) so 2D sprites won't be supported for now.

I actually already purchased a domain and even put a quick wordpress up, Nothing fancy. But I don't wanna share the link before its complete (its still very ugly lol)
    I worked almost my entire life as a webmaster, always building website from the ground up, from database to design, but this is the first time in my life having a fully functional website is not a priority lol.
    I would like some help maybe in designing a character selection screen if anyone is interested. Otherwise I'll just make a single tone color background with some rectangles with the character's profile picture.

26. sfsy2k1

sfsy2k1

Hey MMind, i was looking for this kind of thing and will definitely buy it, when will it be available to the Store ? Also i have noticed that the movements in Fighting are slightly slow, is it due to the animations ? coz usually fightings needs to be very fast.

Last but not least R u available for a Project for this Fighting Game, coz i am currently looking for a development team to code my Project.
    Thnx

27. Mistermind

Mistermind

Currently I have no clear date to when its gonna be released. One thing is for sure though: it WILL be out before the holidays. I would prefer if it would be in a couple weeks, but its really hard to tell. The main reason for the lack of a precise ETA is that sometimes a task within a TODO may unfold into a huge thing, and its really hard to predict that when working with a big project =)

The video example is just an experimentation with the engine. Anything can be edited down, sometimes almost to the byte. Here is a screenshot that should probably answer your question in a more general way:
    $GlobalEditorAdvancedOptions.jpg

You -could- just change the game speed and make the game faster (including inputs) but I wouldn't recommend it. The best way to change something like that would be to change the weight, forces and global gravity for the characters and their moves.

When testing the GUI I recently applied Ryu's frame data (link) onto the engine, applying the exact numbers for total frames, startup, active, recovery, frame adv. on block, frame adv. on hit. Surprisingly enough it felt very much like SF4 =). Here is a screenshot of how the data conversion would look in UFE:
    $FrameDataRyu_cLP.jpg

These updates will be more evident on my next video witch will highlight the character select, rounds and victory screen. Stay tuned!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  28. Mistermind

Mistermind

Screenshot of the character select screen =)
    $CharacterSelectScreen.jpg
    It might change still, but this is what I got so far. Soon more screenshots and even a playable demo.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  29. jaelove

jaelove

Very Nice :) and Happy Thanksgiving

30. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you! You too!

31. jaelove

jaelove

Are the character slots limited to 8 because I have a decent amount of characters and would need at least 10 to 12 to begin

32. Mistermind

Mistermind

This character selection screen will be open source for all versions of UFE, meaning it can be changed to whatever you like. For demonstration purposes I made a 2 by 4 grid. The code will be all commented and I'll even talk a little about them and the options already available in these files in a video tutorial.
    Later on I might create several packages containing different designs and options for the character selection screen.

33. jaelove

jaelove

ok cool
    something to probably keep in mind a lot of people like myself who plan to purchase this may have limited to no knowledge about scripting or coding so creating a few options for things like this will be ideal.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  34. Blackghost

Blackghost

Hey, MMind, I would like to know if a look at controller is a part of the character editor, allowing players heads to following their opponents at all times?

35. Mistermind

Mistermind

I have not set that yet, but I've already studied the possibility. If I have time before the release I'll add it, otherwise I'll push it to post release.

36. Blackghost

Blackghost

Great. No problem. You are doing excellent thus far. Keep up the good work.

37. Mistermind

Mistermind

Guys I'll be starting recording tutorials next week and I was thinking here.
    If anyone has characters already in the works and/or completed, I could use that character for demonstration purposes in my videos. Your character will not be included in the package. It will be just to give some presentation value (same as how Unity do their presentations with Mixamo and Dexsoft assets). In exchange I can promote your work and character as well as have a character ready to be used in your engine.
    For the tutorial demonstration I'll need the following animations:
    Idle
    Walk
    Jump (if you have angled jump too even better)
    2 standing attacks
    2 crouching attacks
    2 jumping attacks
    1 projectile attack
    get hit standing
    get hit jumping
    falling from getting hit (juggle state)
    bouncing
    and anything else you wanna throw at it!

Of course, I won't be able to do that to everyone, so I'll have to choose. This should not interfere with your work float however since the character will still be yours only. It will just be for video demonstration.

If anyone is interested, PM me. If you can, show me some screenshots of your work so far!

Thanks guys

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  38. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

I wish I had the time to create quickly a fighter character .... That won't be from me unfortunately ... Too bad ... Eager to take a look at your videos and documentation though.

39. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thanks to the feedback the prices have been reviewed =)
    Let me know what you guys think!

[table="width: 680, class: grid, align: left"]
    [tr]
    [td="width:120"]Universal Fighting Engine[/td]
    [td="width:120"]
    Lite​
    [/td]
    Advanced​
    [/td]
    Pro​
    [/td]
    Pro (Source)​
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Special Moves[/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Projectile System[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Gauge System[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Display (combo counter, etc.)[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Camera Move System[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Parry[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Move Link[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Open Source[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Prices[/td]
    [td]
    $69.00
    [/td]
    [td]
    $129.00
    [/td]
    [td]
    $149.00
    [/td]
    [td]
    $199.00
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  40. jaelove

jaelove

looks good should equate to more sales

41. Blackghost

Blackghost

Im with it. The price is sufficient.

42. jaelove

jaelove

Any updates?
    also I had a question about the controls can a make move that uses down+attack and a separate move that uses crouch+attack or do I have to choose one?

43. Mistermind

Mistermind

Today I'm working on setting up a server for version control. Turns out Dropbox is not recommended as it kills a lot of data from prefabs and custom assets (had to find that out the hard way)
    After that I should begin setting up the round options (reset life points on each round, number of rounds, timer, etc..). Given the stage of the project it should be something fairly easy to implement. Then its off to the documentation. After that I might be able to have a cheaper pre-release open source version before the other options are live to have some feedback and bug fixing before the main release. Video tutorials should start right after that. Giving the new info I'll probably not gonna start recording them this week.
    Sorry guys, as you can see the TODO list is very volatile. Its hard to take notes of every little thing that crosses your project beforehand.

Sure you can =). For a crouching attack you set the "Potential Stance" to "crouching". That tells the engine that this move can only be executed if the player is currently in crouching position.
    For a special attack that goes "down" -then- "attack", your approach should be different. You will set the Button Sequence to "Down" and Button Execution to "Button 1" (or whatever button you assign to).

Btw I don't mind your questions at all =) It keeps the post alive and answer other people who might have the same doubts.

44. jaelove

jaelove

cool hopefully I can be a beta tester for the pre release

45. Blackghost

Blackghost

Is there an option for song selection for the levels? Also as of now, how many level selection options are included?

46. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yes. Here are a couple screenshots of the stage options and the system in action using an example script for the stage select screen:

$StageOptions.jpg

$StageSelectScreen.jpg

47. jaelove

jaelove

Nice I like that we can edit the boundaries

48. marcipw

marcipw

Agreed, That is a nice touch. This is so full featured. I do not believe there is anything else out there that will be able to compete with this when it is released.

49. Mistermind

Mistermind

That was truly one of my problems when choosing the price =) I'm currently reading some articles about pricing and trying my best to compare the value to other packages, but I'm having a hard time trying to fit this into the boundary values of the asset store.

50. Blackghost

Blackghost

Really cool. Eventually everything will have a way of sorting itself out