Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[W.I.P] 2.5D Fighting Game Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Sep 24, 2013.

?

Witch version would you be most interested in?

1. Basic

22 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Advanced

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Pro

21 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Pro (Source)

60 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. GPG

GPG

Looks amazing so far I just started to make some assets for my planned game using this now, 3 characters down already.

Any ideas on how much this will cost to buy, you mentioned a version with the source code so if these two cost two different prices any plans/ideas on how much they will both cost?

2. jaelove

jaelove

Can you show us the rollout menu for the attacks and other animations so we can get an idea of how many animations we need and to where they need to be applied?

3. Mistermind

Mistermind

Sure thing
    $basic_Moves.jpg $basic_Moves.jpg

Not Required: Parry (any), Bounce, Falling from Bounce

Hints:
    Even though it looks nicer, you don't necesseraly need a move back, you can just use the move forward animation and set the animation to a negative number.

Parry and bounce can be set to none in the general configuration file so you don't need to have those features in.

Blocking Pose/Hit are just a little flare to create a smoother experience. You can set them as the same animation and it will not affect the game play.

You can split a full jump animation into all 3 jump stances through Unity itself. Don't worry about syncing the jump and falling speed to the jump height. That is done automatically.

Particle effects can be added on any move, being basic or special. You can add a puff of smoke for example when the character lands after a jump in the "Landing" animation.

4. jaelove

jaelove

Thanks, is jumping just a stationary jump or does it include a forward and back flip?

I also noticed a dash in the video, can that use it's own animation or is that just a altered walk forward animation?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  5. Mistermind

Mistermind

I recently decided on these values. Any feedback is appreciated =)

[table="width: 500, class: grid, align: left"]
    [tr]
    [td="width:120"]Fighting Game Toolkit[/td]
    [td="width:120"]
    Lite​
    [/td]
    Advanced​
    [/td]
    Pro​
    [/td]
    Pro (Source)​
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Special Moves[/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Projectile System[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Gauge System[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Display (combo counter, etc.)[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Camera Move System[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Parry[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Move Link[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Open Source[/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    no
    [/td]
    [td]
    yes
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Prices[/td]
    [td]
    $95.00
    [/td]
    [td]
    $175.00
    [/td]
    [td]
    $195.00
    [/td]
    [td]
    $250.00
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

6. Mistermind

Mistermind

Oh yeah right, I didnt have it right here in my code at the time because I didn't have the proper animation for it, but I'll have it here in no time:
    Angled Jump Forward
    Angle Jump Back

If you leave these empty the engine will use the regular jump for them.

7. jaelove

jaelove

sounds decent how much for the projected addons?

what about the dash can that use it's own animation?

8. Mistermind

Mistermind

Dash is considered a move so you can make it in the move editor. Its there so you can have move control over how each dash will work. If you choose to have dash in your game yes, it will need its own animation.

9. jaelove

jaelove

Interesting what category would it fall under since it isn't a attack that causes damage? What other types of moves that aren't attacks can you make in the move editor?

10. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yeah I couldn't properly categorize this move. Dashing is probably the only exception that will fit in as "attack move". I couldn't name it "special moves" cause you also have the regular moves in that category so I had to group as attack move hehe.
    Here is how a Dash would look like in the move editor:
    $attackmoves.jpg

Notice I have no Hits in this move, meaning it does not have any hurt box. I've also used Added force to merely "push" the character forward and let the gravity and weight of the character do the rest.

11. jaelove

jaelove

Very cool much respect to you man this system looks amazing even in it's early form

12. GPG

GPG

The prices seem good to me as long as it remains supported after release and what not, I will personally be picking up the pro source, so I can see how everything works.

A question though about the pricing, if we buy a lighter package, say I bought advanced, would I be able to upgrade to pro by just paying the extra $20 or would I need to buy the whole kit again?

13. Mistermind

Mistermind

I'll provide support as efficiently as I answer this post. You can count on it =)

Absolutely. I'll offer all the upgrade straight from the website that I'll be building soon. You only need to pay the difference between the upgrades you are getting.

14. marcipw

marcipw

Excellent! I am really pleased with the pricing structure and love the fact that you have allowed an upgrade path.
    I really hope this does well for you.

15. jaelove

jaelove

How are supers activated? What kind of supers can be created?

16. Mistermind

Mistermind

Here is a screenshot of how the super fireball was coded using the tool:
    $superfireball.jpg

Notice in the Camera Movements:
    Position and Rotation: You can set the position and rotation of where you want the camera to zoom in (or out) and stop.
    Field of View: Act just like the standard field of view from your main camera. Same as position and rotation, the value will translate into it according to speed.
    Start Time: (currently using animation completion percentage. Soon will be changed to frame data) When during the animation should this camera animation begin.
    Cam Speed: How fast the animation transition should be.
    Length: How long (in seconds) should the camera move last. Not to be confused with speed. You can have a very fast cam animation and let it just sit there for another couple seconds depending on this value.
    Freeze Game: Should the game freeze while the camera movement is active (length)?
    Freeze Animation Depending on how you are programming your freeze you might never need to use this. This feature will freeze the move animation completely while the camera movement is active. You might wanna have this off if you have your character say something or make a pose during the freeze. An example would be street fighter 4 ultras or as a better example, Sagat's "Angry Scar" move, where he moves his arm to the scar while the entire game is frozen.

17. jaelove

jaelove

Wow very cool

18. jaelove

jaelove

Did you include super arts overlays for when supers are activated and/or executed?

19. Hendrixlt

Hendrixlt

Have you considered trying to integrate ITWEEN into the system for super moves as well as intro and victory animations?

20. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yes I have, but since I'm trying to avoid the best I can to use external assets (to avoid dependency), I thought it was best if I made my own tween system. The only thing my system currently lacks off is a proper Window GUI, which is what all these external tools have.
    I moved Window GUI as a priority right now, at least for the move editor. Some features there definitely need some buttons and sliders.

21. jaelove

jaelove

Can you add particle effects to any animation like for example a hit effect for the attacking limb, a block effect for the character blocking and a blood effect for like the head of a character who suffers damage from a attacker?

22. spartan

spartan

Is the Pro (Source) code in C#?

23. Mistermind

Mistermind

Any move can have particles, however the hit particles are set as generic groups. You can have up to 4 different hit types, each with its own freezing time, particle effect, sound, and even shake effects (like shaking the character or the camera). Once you have that set you can select witch of the hit types a particular hit inside your move will have.

Yes sir =)

24. jaelove

jaelove

Does get hit low mean get hit standing low or get hit crouching low?

25. login4donald

login4donald

Gotta keep an eye on this,

26. Mistermind

Mistermind

It means get hit while crouching. Sorry that was a poor choice of name. Let me change it.

You won't regret =)

27. marcipw

marcipw

28. ahaykal

ahaykal

This is impressive!

29. Yippie

Yippie

Please also make a full 3d version for this awesome framework, you just have to spend a lil more time to change the camera right :D

30. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yes absolutely. Particles can be saved as prefabs and dragged into your move or hit in a matter of seconds.

Btw, here is a little screenshot of the new Window Editor. Still a long way to finish, but its moving along nicely =)
    $newGUI.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  31. marcipw

marcipw

Great! That's what I hoped you would say.
    The editor is looking great. It looks intuitive and a lot of fun to use.

Now, about fatalities / finishing moves; will they work in a similar way to specials?

32. jaelove

jaelove

very nice how about physics objects prefabs like crates and barrels? or even breakable wall prefabs can they be added to scenes with little hassle?

33. Mistermind

Mistermind

Those will be part of the stage interactables which will be a post release feature. No date for those yet.

With some adjustment it's possible to have something like that. To have them as a full on feature though it might take a little while. I'll add that to the post release as well.

34. jaelove

jaelove

Cool I really appreciate the timely responses as well helps me while I get my assets ready, another question I had was about the freeze frame we can freeze the camera and opponent during certain attacks, but can we freeze attacking animation frames as well?

35. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yes, using the Freeze Animation toggle inside Camera Movement. I wasn't very clear on my last response on that so let me rephrase it:
    When Freeze Animation is toggled your character animation will freeze completely same as everything else at the scene while the camera movement is active. If its not, your character will keep moving.

Disable this feature if you want your character to have special taunts, saying or moves right during the super freeze.

36. jaelove

jaelove

That's great for street fighter styled freeze frame attacks even without camera movement

37. Mistermind

Mistermind

Guys because of some issues with having "Unity" in the name I had to drop "Unity Fighting Engine". I thought of calling it Fighting Game Toolkit, but it kinda sounds a bit unprofessional to create your game and say "Powered by Fighting Game Toolkit" so, to preserve the acronym "UFE", here are some ideas:
    Unit Fighting Engine
    United Fighting Engine
    Universal Fighting Engine (my favorite)

What you guys think? Also, if you guys have any better idea let me know! No worries about preserving "UFE" with the suggestions btw. Just think if it actually sounds good when you promote your game and write down maybe in the credits "Powered by ...."

Thanks!

38. jaelove

jaelove

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" lol but Universal Fighting Engine sounds good what about Ultimate Fighting Engine

39. Mistermind

Mistermind

Or maybe as a reference to Capcom's notorious sub-sequencial names, "Ultra Fighting Engine" :D

40. jaelove

jaelove

That would be cool it coincides with the new Street fighter 4 that's scheduled to come out later next year

41. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Ultimate Fighting Engine sounds good to me as well.
    Been following that thread for a little while now. I got to say that you are doing a really great job. Really make me want to create some cool fighters and animations to play with.
    Keep it up.
    It would be cool if you add some extra stuff like cinematic ending and some modes : VS / survival / story-arcade stuff like that.

42. TaxisDude

TaxisDude

Fighting School / Fighting Dojo
    Fighting Arts Framework
    Arcade Fight Engine
    United Fighting System

43. jaelove

jaelove

Is there anyway to emulate the wall bounce move that Chun Li had in street fighter 2? also is there a way to make a character like Vega to where he has a claw or a weapon and it can be knocked off by opponents and then picked up by the character again?

44. Mistermind

Mistermind

The chun-li one is gonna be added for sure in the post update. Its not that hard with the tools I already prepared.
    Just need to have a few more possible stances that basically tells a move where and when it can be cast according to the character state.
    As for Vega, that would need external script. I'll try having some global methods soon as well so simple stuff like that can be easily added with a few lines of code.

Now, here is another screenshot of the new move editor:
    $editorGUI_new.jpg

45. marcipw

marcipw

Excellent!

It looks like fine tuning our moves is going to be relatively easy and fun.

46. jaelove

jaelove

You're making good progress on the Editor window GUI after that what's left on the to do list?

47. spartan

spartan

MMind are you going to set some lower price for early bird/introduction price? I would like to pay the Pro (source), but $250 seems to be a way much.

48. Mistermind

Mistermind

Editor Window GUI is taking a lot out of me so I'd expect delays. After this the big gun will be the tutorials and documentation. I personally never made anything like it so I have no idea how long it could take me. Could be a week, could be a month. I'll keep you guys updated as always.

Here are the 3 main reasons I came up with these prices:
    - Higher prices means less people will buy the full source code, thus less competition for your final product should you choose to buy it.
    - Higher prices reduce piracy. The more expensive, the less likely people that bought it will engage in community sharing.
    - A fighting games engine is not as popular as an FPS or RPG toolkit, meaning my market is considerably smaller. So even though I could work just as hard as, say, the creators of UniRPG, I certainly won't have as many sales as them. In order to counter that I needed to estimate a value that could compensate for time invested vs demand.

However, price fluctuation can happen depending on demand. The more people buying/willing to buy, the higher chance of lowering the price.
    I'm still a bit skeptical about changing the price of Pro Source though mainly because of the high risk of people claiming for their own. Higher prices should reduce the chances, but you know how it is =)

49. spartan

spartan

Ok, I understand the reasons :). I'll do my best effort to buy the Pro source. I feel that your framework will be great.

50. jaelove

jaelove

Can moves can be stringed together to create supers sorta like what's featured in Super Street Fighter 4?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013