Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VS Code Unity Debugger Extension Preview

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by lukaszunity, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Its great. But wirhout tabs its just anoying to work with. Are there any plans to add tabs?

2. The-Little-Guy

The-Little-Guy

@Sajid that is the Asset Store Plugin that is causing the popup.

I am running vscode without the Asset Store Plugin, and it seems to be working fine...

3. The-Little-Guy

The-Little-Guy

The tabs are on the left hand side (or right if you changed the settings) under working files.

That is a vscode feature not a Debugger feature

4. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

The lack of tabs has nothing to do with the unity extensions..Not having tabs is Microsoft's decision.. I missed them too as I'm using a 24" in portrait for code..

I can therefore recommend Consulo...which is based on IntelliJ... If you are looking for an alternative to Monodevelop

It's super... has tabs...here is the thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/consulo-ide-intellij-idea-based-ide.275472/

Der_Kevin likes this.
  5. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

ahhhhh :-o
    thanks! ;)

6. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

You need to remove the last comma on line 8, after "launch"

7. xCyborg

xCyborg

It works perfectly minus the focus issues, can we expect an integration with dotBunny's implementaion:
    https://github.com/dotBunny/VSCode
    Or maybe even better make a global plugins folder for Unity so we don't have to import each plugin to each project folder.
    Thanks.

8. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

We will be looking into supporting VS Code out of the box in Unity. But I am unable to say when this will happen, as I do not know and it is not something we are currently working on.

9. xCyborg

xCyborg

That's the optimal solution, thanks.

10. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hi,

I just tested VS and so far it's really great ! I just have one weird issue, the IEnumerator type is not recognized by VS - is that normal ?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  11. Kiupe

Kiupe

Ok - my bad - I didn't manually import System.Collection which is required to use Coroutine.

12. ophilbert_ohbibi

ophilbert_ohbibi

I tried VSCode when it was released but I was annoyed not having the capability to resolve missing reference (auto add using statement such as "using UnityEngine;" when typing Vector3 or such)

Is this supported by the VSCode? Have I missed something?

13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Just open the project through Assets > Open C# Project, it uses the default script editor.

14. VorT3x

VorT3x

Tried it, works awesome! Thanks!

15. xCyborg

xCyborg

Intellisense is broken with me, shows all references are missing,

16. The-Little-Guy

The-Little-Guy

In Unity, if you right click within your project and select "Open C# Project" does that fix it?

17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

You're welcome. :) It's almost foolproof! ;)

(Well, except intellisense isn't working for me yet... at least I can open scripts in Linux now!)

18. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Search for mono runtime in our package manager, it is needed for a intellisense

19. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Really? Looks like I'll be jumping to Linux before I turn my machine off then... What's the package name?

20. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

I don't know the exact package name, that is just my assumption since on other platforms the latest mono needs to be installed first

21. xCyborg

xCyborg

No it's not working, I did everything right.

22. avatar-

How does this compare with Visual Studio 2015? Is it primarily for people who can't VS2015 for some reason or are there people who actually prefer it?
    I've been using VS for 20+ years and I have yet to find anything that comes close VS+Resharper for C#.
    But I would certainly investigate any opportunity to improve my dev environment.

23. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Well i think VS + ReSharper is the best you can get atm. But most as using VS CODE as a alternative to MonoDev when using osX.

Also i find without resharper VS is kinda meh, and Code is nice and lightweight and starts fast, unlike VS proper.

24. ratmat2002

ratmat2002

UnityDebug keeps disconnecting from the Unity process 5 seconds after clicking the green arrow in VSCode.

I'm running Unity 5.2.2p3 on OS X with the latest Mono 4.2.1 framework installed. Here is the output of UnityDebug-log.txt. Any idea how to fix this?

14:15:20.947019: UnityDebug
    14:15:22.533480: Failed to load: PlaybackEngines/iOSSupport/Data/iosdevices.csv
    14:15:22.534637: Error while initializing usbmuxd
    14:15:22.535369: Found Unity process: AndroidPlayer(asus_Nexus_7@192.168.160.112) (1410803935)
    14:15:22.535467: Found Unity process: iPhonePlayer(admins-iPhone) (2216511814)
    14:15:22.535572: Found Unity process: Unity Editor (Unity) (77004)
    14:15:22.545198: UnityDebug: Attached to Unity process 'Unity Editor (Unity)' (77004)
    14:15:27.084628: UnityDebug: Disconnected

25. ratmat2002

ratmat2002

Update: I was able to get the debugger to work by upgrading to Unity 5.3.1p1.

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

呵呵,原来是 宣雨松。

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

大胡子哥哥是谁? 来得够早的 2013 年就来论坛了

28. nomenonX

nomenonX

after adding a Watch
    I already have .net 4.5/4.6, mono 4.2.1, gtk-sharp 2.12.26

error while processing request 'evaluate' (exception: Could not load file or assembly 'ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d4bfe873e7598c49' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.)
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d4bfe873e7598c49' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d4bfe873e7598c49'
    at Mono.Debugging.Evaluation.NRefactoryExpressionEvaluator.ValidateExpression(EvaluationContext ctx, String expression)
    at Mono.Debugging.Evaluation.ObjectValueAdaptor.ValidateExpression(EvaluationContext ctx, String expression)
    at Mono.Debugging.Evaluation.BaseBacktrace.ValidateExpression(Int32 frameIndex, String expression, EvaluationOptions options)
    at Mono.Debugging.Client.StackFrame.ValidateExpression(String expression, EvaluationOptions options)
    at Mono.Debugging.Client.StackFrame.ValidateExpression(String expression)
    at UnityDebug.UnityDebugSession.Evaluate(String context, Int32 frameId, String expression)
    at OpenDebug.DebugSession.Dispatch(String command, Object args)
    at UnityDebug.Program.<Dispatch>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0(String command, Object args, IResponder responder)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  29. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Thanks for reporting this issue. Looks like the NRefactory assembly should also be included.

30. camillo777

camillo777

Hi!
    Can we see the "Debug.Log" messages in VS Code?
    Thankyou!

31. Pi_3-14

Pi_3-14

Might the OP consider modifying the original post so that it discusses the https://github.com/dotBunny/VSCode/ plugin as documented here: https://code.visualstudio.com/Docs/runtimes/unity ?

I believe this plug-in simplifies the installation process.

However, I had got most of the way through this first post before someone on the IRC channel pointed out the plug-in exists. Now I'm not entirely sure I've set everything up correctly.

32. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

This is currently not possible, but something we will look into supporting in the future.

We will update the documentation once we publish this extension to the VS Code gallery.

33. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

34. nomenonX

nomenonX

Is still an issue when added a watch
    addwatch.png

35. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

It is a bit unclear to me what expression you typed. If you want to evaluate fields on on the current object, e.g. "int fireRate" then you type "this.fireRate".

36. nomenonX

nomenonX

hmm, it works! But if you add Watch through contex menu - error watch.png

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  37. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

I will have look into this issue and see if this is something that can be fixed in the extension or if it is a issue within VS Code.

38. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

I've fixed the issue with adding a watch through the contextual menu. The fix might no cover all cases, so if you find some that do not work, let me know. Version 1.0.1 has been uploaded.

39. nomenonX

nomenonX

Now generally working well.These are not very important
    somewatches.png

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

It resets every time the launch.json, if I put the Unity debugger and put a hint and start debugging I get the information and is OK, but if I want to do again it resets the launch.json every time, please help to solve this issue!!

41. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

I think this might be because you are using VS Code editor extension from dotBunny or something similar. You need to disable writing of the launch.json.

42. Reapazor

Reapazor

Updated the VSCode plugin to support the debugger, and even install it for the user :)
    UAS version submitted for approval, GitHub as always, latest :)

43. pointcache

pointcache

Last time i checked debugger didnt work on windows, is that fixed?

44. GilesDMiddleton

GilesDMiddleton

Does anyone know how to get Unity help-docs tied into VS Code accelerators? I miss being able to get context sensitive help lookup direct to the unity web site. I'm on a mac.

45. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

This debugger extension works on Windows. The Mono debugger extension does not.

Tobiah Zarlez made an extension for that: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Tobiah.unity-tools

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  46. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

It keeps giving to me the pop-up message Vs Code Update whenever I run the Editor.. does anyone have any idea why?

47. The-Little-Guy

The-Little-Guy

Did you update the editor? There was a recent update about a day or two ago v0.10.8

48. jwittner

jwittner

I was seeing this same issue until I disabled the dotBunny/VSCode integration. Even if I had the Use Unity Debugger setting toggled it would end up disconnecting Code from Unity while that VSCode "Checking for Update" message hovered.

For now I'm running without Unity integration so I can debug from Code.

49. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

Yeah I can confirm this too.. Its dotbunny integration issue.. WHy would it want to check for vsCode update every time..

@Reapazor, anything to add?

EDIT:

I found out a piece of code inside that dotbunny plugin, and simply commented out the update part.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         static VSCode()
    2.         {
    3.             if (Enabled)
    4.             {
    5.                 UpdateUnityPreferences(true);
    6.                 UpdateLaunchFile();
    8.                 // Add Update Check
    9.                 DateTime targetDate = LastUpdate.AddDays(UpdateTime);
    10.                 if (DateTime.Now >= targetDate)
    11.                 {
    12.                    // CheckForUpdate();
    13.                 }
    14.             }
    Seems like even if you uncheck the option for "Automatic Updates" inside the dotBunny plugin, it will check for update anyway... He should add one more "if statement" before to check for this update..

For now I just commented out that part and it works as it should

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  50. RichCodes

RichCodes