Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VR mode brings very high CPU load without Oculus Rift

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by gg67, Jun 30, 2015.

1. gg67

gg67

I've noticed standalone executables built with Unity 5.1.1p2 "Virtual Reality Supported" checked bring massive CPU load when Oculus Rift is *not* connected. It also makes the program very unresponsive (0.5-1 seconds lag on mouse and keyboard). In editor it works fine.

Any ideas on what's going on?

Unity 5.1.1p2
    GeForce GTX 980m
    Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz
    Nvidia Driver Version 344.91
    Windows 8.1
    Oculus Runtime 0.6.0.1

Also posted on Oculus forums, https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24446

2. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Could you file a bug report and post the bug report number here. I'll forward this to our QA team once we have the number. This should result in the same performance as if Oculus is enabled and the HMD exists and then you disabled Virtual reality using the VRSetting. Is the performance the same between these two cases for you?

3. gg67

gg67

Will update with bug report number soon.

Original Case:
    VR Support Enabled
    HMD Does not exist
    = Latent Performance in Build
    = Normal Performance in Editor

Case 2 (Updated)

VR Support Enabled
    HMD Exists
    Disable VR using VRSetting
    Same results as original case
    = Latent Performance in Build
    = Normal Performance in Editor

Case3:
    VR Support Enabled
    HMD Exists
    Turn Off HMD
    = Starts in VR camera mode, reverts to single camera mode and works correctly in Editor and Build

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. gg67

gg67

Filed! Case 708840

Thanks for the help.

5. gg67

gg67

6. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

I was able to reproduce the issue on 5.1.1p3, but was unable to reproduce on the next upcoming patch internally. I'm investigating which change inadvertently may have fixed this issue. I've asked out QA team to further investigate reproducing the issue with the beta builds as well.

7. gg67

gg67

Great news! Do you know if this is fixed in 5.2.0b1? The release notes didn't mention anything regarding VR.

8. gg67

gg67

9. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

10. gg67

gg67

Thanks for the quick response. I'm testing on p4 on a mac.

11. S_P_S

S_P_S

Hey!

I have similar issues since weeks. Everytime I build an executable and the "Virtual Reality Supported" box is checked, I get strange noises from my GPU and speakers, also the complete application is very laggy (very obvious on UI Buttons, which get highlighted ~0.5sec after I hovered above them).
    The issue is worst when I build a VR Application and disable VR at runtime so that I can also use the application ordinary.

Tried it with 5 different systems. 3 of them (Nvidia GPUs) have this issue, 2 haven't (AMD GPUs). Don't know if it's GPU related, but I just want to mention this.

I also send in a bug report, an employee replied and confirmed that he could reproduce the issue on most (but not all) computers. He asked for more informations, which I sent in. This was weeks ago, but I never got a reply again.

I have tried all Unity 5.1.x versions available and different Oculus runtimes.

Could the issue may be caused by the number of frames the game is running at? I build in a fps counter. And when the application is shown as VR I get 75 frames. Not more, not less. But when I then switch the game to normal desktop mode, I get hundreds or thousands of frames, and then the noise is much louder.

Hope the issue can be solved.

Regards

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  12. S_P_S

S_P_S

For me Unity 5.1.1p4 doesn't fixed it. Can someone tell me why "Application.targetFrameRate" doesn't work with VR?
    I think the problem could maybe fixed if you could somehow limit the fps.

Regards

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  13. ROSTeam

ROSTeam

Having similar issue.

When I run my build without the Rift on the PC I built the program on I get strange jerky camera movement.
    When I run it on any other PC the camera movement is fine its just ten seconds late.
    The framerate is quite stable and very high.
    Also if it helps, when running in the rift the picture is smooth but I get some pretty brutal motion blur on my monitor

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015