Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VR VR Alpha or VR Beta in Unity 5.1 beta 2?

Discussion in '5.1 Beta' started by SoylentGraham, Apr 10, 2015.

1. SoylentGraham

SoylentGraham

With the upcoming VRdevice support, will we be able to provide our own VRDevice implementations in some form? (native plugin, c# overloaded class etc)

In my case we're supporting different headsets with different lense[distortion]s and some virtual/debug devices, would be good if we can piggy back on the built in types...

2. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

When Unity 5.0 was officially announced, Palmer Luckey said that internally they already had an alpha version of Oculus running natively and that by the end of March they'd have it in beta.

When I look at the VR document I see it's title is '5.1 Alpha 5 VR Integration'.

So, what exactly are we getting in this 5.1 beta 2?

Is it the same alpha vr native integration (as the doc suggests) or are we getting the beta version of it as Palmer suggested?

Thanks!

MrEsquire likes this.
  3. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

5.1 Beta 2+ contains the beta version of the VR integration. The title of the doc wasn't updated for beta 2, it has been corrected now.

jashan and idunlop_oefun like this.
  4. SAOTA

SAOTA

How do we access the VR settings. I opened a blank project and hit play. No VR output?

5. JonDadley

JonDadley

According to the Release Notes, the way to enable VR is as follows:

• VR: Added integrated support for Oculus Rift in Editor and Standalone Players. Once Virtual Reality is enabled in Player Settings, pressing play in the editor will show your game view on the rift. It is recommended to "Maximize on Play" the game view in order to achieve smooth rendering. Be sure to remove any previous Oculus plugins from your project.

SAOTA likes this.
  6. SAOTA

SAOTA

Found it after looking at the Player settings again. Quite nausiating atm.

Great that we just build once and it runs on both oculus and screen. Great that testing in editor also works.

Great news that shadows are only rendered once.

Good progress.

It runs leaps better than manual integration. Laptop development and mobile workstations now seems very possible.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  7. Poopypoo

Poopypoo

Does GearVR work the same way in the beta, or do I need to use the old plugin?

Thanks

8. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@Poopypoo Sorry for the delayed response. I assume you have figured out the old plugin is no longer required by now, but I figured I would still post in the event others look to this in the future.

To Clarify, the old plugin is no longer needed in projects, but you must be using the Oculus 0.5.0.1 Runtime.

9. Poopypoo

Poopypoo

I know Oculus works in 5.1 but I thought GearVR wasn't supported yet? I tried it but it didn't seem to work... I rolled back to using 5.0.1 and the old plugin...

10. jashan

jashan

I believe the old plugin actually doesn't even work with 5.1 builds anymore. You can still play fine in the editor as long as you don't activate VR but in my tests (that was on Mac), the standalone player crashes. Not that I'd want to go back to using the plugin but I guess it's a good idea to completely remove it.

11. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

What jashan said, yes. If you're using the new beta then you'll want to get rid of the old OVR stuff completely. I had a lot of problems before learning it needed to not be there.