Search Unity

VR3DMediaViewer - View Stereoscopic 3D content in VR

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DarkAkuma, May 9, 2016.

1. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

VR3DImageViewerNew-Large2.png

Asset Store Page

Making a Sci-Fi game? You can have posters and billboards be in 3D, like a hologram! Want to make a digital art gallery? Render your images in stereo and have them POP in 3D! Fantasy game? Have portals that don't just have a flat 2D texture preview for their destination. Give it some depth like there really is a world to step through to! Need to show people Stereoscopic 360 content in your project, this can do that too! You can even use this with a MovieTexture, the new 5.6 VideoPlayer, RenderTextures, WebcamTextures and various video asset plugins and have 3D video in your project!

----------

Hello! This is the first asset that I have ever made for the Unity Asset Store. I've been developing for VR for a few years now, and I wanted to make some assets that other VR developers might find useful. As the 3D tech space is switching from previous generations of Stereoscopic screen based content to Virtual Reality based content, I figured why not help developers bridge that gap and allow them to use that content in VR? Get the best of both worlds!

It's simple to setup and use, and supports multiple 3D images in a single scene!

This asset supports SBS, Cross-eyed, Top/Bottom, Two Images, Horizontal Interlaced, Vertical Interlaced, Checkerboard and Anaglyph format 3D images. It also works with Video and 360 Panoramic content!

This is designed this to work with Unitys integrated VR support as well as most custom SDKs. I can't guarantee all of custom SDKs though. I've included step-by-step instructions for all of the main HMDs like Oculus Rift (OVR-SDK), GearVR (OVR-SDK-Mobile), Vive (SteamVR), and Daydream (GoogleVR).

BONUS!:

To help provide you with some Stereoscopic 3D pictures to display, I added a script that takes 3D screenshots in all the supported formats!

VR3DMediaViewer-SS1.png

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  2. kimusan

kimusan

Any chance you will update this asset to provide support for the inverted stereo cubemap strip format as used by ORBX and Oculus 360 Photos on Gear VR?

3. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

I'm not to familiar with using 360 images/videos personally, so I can't say for sure it will work with that format. But "in theory" it should work with at least some stereo 360 images/video. I know one user has reported to me that he has used it with 360 images.

At the moment the asset doesn't "officially" support 360 content or any form of video. By "officially" it just means that I don't yet supply any setup instructions or demos to showcase them. But unofficially, both can work with the asset.

For stereo 360 content, I'd say that if the content can be imported into unity as a standard image or video, can be applied to a shader as a texture, and the format has a Top/Bottom (SBS or 2 separate image sources should work too) layout like the 360 content I have seen, then it should work.

I hope that answers your question. =)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    WeAreMegaverse likes this.
  4. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

EDIT: This is no longer relavent as its been fixed in 1.3. Just ignore it.

Notice for anyone using Unity v5.4.0f3 and SteamVR v1.1.1.

The setup procedure listed in the ReadMe no longer works. With Unity 5.4, Vive/SteamVR got native intigration and the SteamVR SDK changed to go along with it.

The following is how I currently recommend you set it up.

Removed to avoid confusion.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  5. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

I'm needing to play video on a texture within the HTC vive scene. Does this support this? I'm a little confused as to the working for this asset.

6. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

Yes. This asset supports Video as a texture, like a MovieTexture or through use of various Video plugins like GST Movie Texture.

It does not however provide support for video playback itself if Unity's built in MovieTexture format isn't enough for your needs.

One of the demos provided on the product page shows a short video clip in action. That video is done using Unity's MovieTexture format.

Video Demo

As far as the working goes, I'll use a MovieTexture in a brief example.

First drag the Video file into your Project panel. Unity will start importing it. Importing basically converts it to an ogg/ogv files behind the scenes. Once done it will be available as a MovieTexture.

A MovieTexture generally works just like a normal texture. You select it in the materials shader properties just like a normal texture.

You will need a script to initiate playback of the video during run time. A basic demo script is provided in the asset package. But if you want the video to start playing when the scene is loaded do something like this in the "Start()" method of a script you attach to the object.

Code (CSharp):
    1. void Start ()
    2.     {
    3.         MovieTexture mt = gameObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().material.mainTexture as MovieTexture;
    4.         mt.Play();
    5.     }
    Once the MovieTexture and script are applied, just select the corresponding options for the 3D video in the VR3DImageViewer component, like Side-by-Side/Top-Bottom, Swap Left/Right, etc, and you're set! The video should show in 3D in the HMD at run time.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  7. ikuohololab

ikuohololab

Hi
    I started to using VR3D Image viewer.
    somehow stereo video play very shakey,( like flipping right and left),, even with very short sample video clip (big_buck_bunny_clip).
    And I tried my Side By Side video also, showing similar,,,not smooth at all.
    Could anyone let me know how to solve this problem ?

I am using Unity 5.5.1 with Oculus SDK.

8. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

Did you set the layers correctly? What you describe sounds like the issue that happens if you skip those steps.

Heres the relevant excerpt from the readme, for OVR SDK.

9. ikuohololab

ikuohololab

I tried as readme, but still same,
    but I found shader v5.5.1 has no Diffuse/Albedo option
    There is Albedo and Emission, so I switched Emission selection from "realtime" to "Baked"
    somehow it stopped shaking right/left. issue has gone !

BTW, I started test V5.6 Beta, which has much smoother Video playback module builtin.
    are you planing to update for this new function ? I am looking forward to heariing good news.

Thank you !!!!
    Best

10. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

Albedo and Diffuse are basically the same thing. In older pre-Standard shaders it went by diffuse, post 5.0 it goes by Albedo. Only use emission if you need the image to emit light, like a TV or something.

I usually don't keep informed with upcoming changes. But my plan is to maintain compatibility with recent versions of Unity as much as I can.

Just now looking into it, my asset "should" work with the 5.6 Video Player as is. I emphasize "should" because I have had another issue reported from a 5.6 user who solved it by rolling back to a non-beta Unity. My guess is based on what I see of this new feature in this video here. The could easily be quirks or issues though, and I'll address those as I can. =)

11. sutapa

sutapa

HI ,
    Does this asset support android too , means can I build the project in android.
    movietexture is not supported by android for playing videos.
    Kindly let me know if there is a way out.
    Thanks.

12. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

I haven't personally tested it in a android app, but theres no reason my asset itself shouldn't work on android.

That said, for the purposes of video playback, it all depends on what video plugins are available for android. I believe I tried GST Movie Texture on windows before and was able to get it working. It says it supports android, so maybe that would work for you?

13. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

Following up with my answer to this question before.

Now that 5.6 is officially out, I got a chance to install it and check the new VideoPlayer components compatibility with VR3DImageViewer. The short answer is, it does work with it!

The long answer is, only with a specific setup for now. If you use "RenderMode: RenderTexture" on the VideoPlayer component, create a RenderTexture matching the videos size and select it in VideoPlayers "Target Texture" field as well as the material of the mesh you are using, it will work.

Ideally I'd like for "RenderMode: Material Override" to work too, but that will take some redesign of the Asset.

The RenderTexture method should work for most cases I'd think. The main issue I see at the moment with it would be when loading/switching videos at run time. For that only having a preset resolution for the RenderTexture probably wouldn't look great or work well. If you are doing such a thing, you will probably want to get the dimensions of the video clip you are trying to load at run time and create and set a new RenderTexture with those dimensions before calling "VR3DImageViewer.SetTexture();".

I'm not planning to release an update right now regarding this, but I did alter the code a little for the next update to just create and set a RenderTexture automatically on Start().

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  14. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

I'm happy to announce that I've submitted a new updated version of this asset.

I did a complete rewrite, and this time designed it from the ground up with animated textures like video in mind. Particularly the new Unity v5.6 VideoPlayer component. But you should still be able to use it with other video plugins.

I eliminated some steps in the setup process, and now its mostly just a "1 Click Camera Setup" and "Canvas/Stereoscopic 3D Media Setup" process.

The asset now uses ScriptableObjects for a new Stereoscopic 3D Image asset system to manage your 3D content. Its an extra step, but one that I feel makes things less confusing and more versatile.

I'm also happy to announce that this asset now supports all 3D formats in Video form now. Previously Interlaced, Checkerboard and Anaglyph could only be pictures.

Anaglyph is now also configurable to use with more then just Red/Cyan.

The bonus 3D Screenshot script has also had a major update, no longer supporting just the SBS format. It now can take screenshots in any of the other formats as well, though for most cases you should stick with SBS, TB or Two Images.

Additionally for the 3D Screenshot script, I did some research and improved it to now make better 3D images. The old way was just the bare minimum code to tack it on as an extra. But the 3D in the screenshots taken by it sucked. There's now 3 projection methods total. Parallel (old way), ToeIn (More pop, but some issues), and OffCenter (The best choice).

I hope everyone enjoys this update and finds its easier to use. And please leave some encouraging reviews if you haven't already! I'd love to see this featured some day, and/or at least be listed as a "VR Essential". =)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  15. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

Here's a general question I'm not expecting an answer to anytime soon. But is there anyone out there that would be interested in this asset supporting Stereograms images or Chromadepth images? The former would take some minor tweaking of the script to better support, and the latter, while I haven't looked into much yet, would probably take a bit more unique code. But both I feel would be very fringe cases for people wanting an asset like this for.

If there's anyone out there interested, please let me know. My goal for this asset is to support every 3D format I can, and be the defacto solution to any "3D in Unity VR" needs.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  16. cyberluke

cyberluke

So where are the instructions for GearVR? The readme is pretty short. I have tried Unity 5.5 and 5.6, various options and it always fails with MovieTexture. I can use this video player if it requires some: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/53391 ...but I don't know how.

17. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

I guess I forgot to properly mention that in the readme with the recent update to the package.

I believe now GearVR uses the main Oculus Unity SDK. But I'm not 100% certain since I don't own or build projects for GearVR.

I don't own the MPMP package, so I can't guarantee it's compatibility with my asset.

Have you tried the new v5.6 Video Player component yet? That's meant to replace MovieTexture, and support more platforms like Android. The old MovieTexture stuff doesn't support Android.

If that's not an option, since GearVR is Android my recommendation for some cardboard users in the past was GST Movie Texture. I have tested with that asset before on Windows, and have noticed it says it supports android. So you could try that. Its free.

18. Alex_Brazil

Alex_Brazil

Hello,

I am a beginner user of Unity3D and I did not find a step-by-step guide explaining the assembly of a basic scene, I just need a 3D object rendered in Anaglyph format. How should I proceed?

19. jiwon-Hwang

jiwon-Hwang

Hi.
    I want Panorama Video Viewer.
    Demo Project - 360 Panorama Scene, Only certain pictures can be used.
    What is difference with other Pictures or Videos?

20. Fivestar

Fivestar

Hi There! I'm really happy I found your asset. I'm having trouble getting started. I am on Unity 2017 using OVR. When I follow the documentation to right click on the prefab/MainCamera I do not see an option for "VR3DMediaViewer Camera Setup". Can you help me set up the camera? Thanks!

21. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

Hello! =)

Are you right clicking on the MainCamera object itself? Or the Camera component attached to the MainCamera object? The context menu is from the Camera components right click menu.

22. firkinfedup

firkinfedup

Does this work on Windows 10 Universal apps?

23. marpione

marpione

Hi, is this package supports transparent video? I need to play 3D transparent video on a plane in Unity and I would like to know if this package can play keyed videos before I buy it.

24. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

Yes. I've had users report to me that they use it with images/videos with transparency. This asset uses standard texture types (Textrue2D, MovieTexture, RenderTexture, etc), so anything you can do with those you can use with VR3DImageViewer.

25. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi,

Can work for Single Pass rendering in Gear vr?

26. jonbperkins

jonbperkins

Hi,

I am trying to get the Asset to work with Windows Mixed Reality program in Unity 3D for Steam VR, I can't seem to right click on the camera asset to set up the VR asset.

I tried attaching the VR3DCameraSetup.cs script to the MainCamera from my scene but I get the following error messages:

Assets/VR3DMediaViewer/Demo/Scripts/ImageCycler.cs(12,13): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `VR3DMediaViewer' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/VR3DMediaViewer/Scripts/Utility/Stereoscopic3DImage.cs(39,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ImageFormat' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Any ideas?

Thanks

27. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

Hello!

I haven't used WMR myself yet, but I'd imagine it should still work with the asset. I'll see if I can help you.

First, VR3DCameraSetup.cs is an editor script. It doesn't need to be placed on anything. How it works is, it simply provides the Context Menus for when you right click on the Camera component.

Which brings me to the likely issue that you are having. From the ReadMe.

You are likely right clicking on the Camera GameObject in the Hierarchy panel. You need to be Right Clicking on the Camera Component that's attached to that GameObject, in the Inspector panel.

28. jonbperkins

jonbperkins

With the WMR SDK I couldn't see that option when right clicking the camera in the Inspector panel. I did load a new project with UnityVR plugin instead of WMR SDK, and it all worked, but the image file isn't showing up. I am getting this message:
    Can't play movie []
    UnityEngine.Video.VideoPlayer:set_url(String)
    VR3D.VR3DMediaViewer:DisplayImageInCanvas(Stereoscopic3DImage) (at Assets/VR3DMediaViewer/Scripts/VR3DMediaViewer.cs:593)
    VR3D.VR3DMediaViewer:Awake() (at Assets/VR3DMediaViewer/Scripts/VR3DMediaViewer.cs:424)

Thanks for your help!

29. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

I can't understand why you wouldn't see that menu option with the WMR SDK, unless it doesn't use the normal Unity Camera component for some odd reason.

As for the error. It seems I could improve my error handling there a bit better. I suspect that you have not selected a Texture or Video file in the Stereoscopic3DImage prefab. My best guess is, you created one as per the documentation, but somehow the Texture or Video got unselected in the new prefab that it generated. That error happens when nothing is selected, and it tries to use a blank Video URL as a fallback.

Reselecting the intended texture/Video should do it.

I'll add checking into the WMR SDK to my Todo list. It wasen't around when I made the asset, or last needed to update it. I tried to future proof this against how most SDKs would be designed, and make it as broadly compatible as possible (If it uses the normal Unity camera component, it "should" work). But naturally, it's the way things go I guess. Something had to come out and do things differently for no good reason (most likely).

EDIT:

I downloaded the latest Unity3D, and what I believe is the WMR SDK. I located a prefab in it called "MixedRealityCamera", which seems to be used in the SDKs example scenes. Now, while I am extremely unsure the asset will work with this bulky confusingly designed prefab, I can say that when I Right Click the Camera component on in that prefab, the VR3DMediaViewer menus options show as they should.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  30. rinkusaru

rinkusaru

Hi there
    I need some solution for the 3D and i've purchase this asset for 3D rendering : https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/video/vr-video-player-82597
    but it's dropping frame in its own demo scene and I'm not hearing anything from their support.
    So I was thinking to buy your asset but I need some question to be asked is your asset compatible with the Avpro video player and is it working with good FPS?

31. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

Hello!

I don't own AVPro, as its... quite expensive! So I can't answer that for certain.

But what I can say is, I designed my asset in a way to try and be compatible with various different video playback methods. I have primarily tested it with Unitys Video Player component introduced in v5.6, the now obsolete MovieTexture method, and GSTMovieTexture, but it should work with others that I have not personally tested with.

For predetermined non-runtime setup, if AVPro has a video output texture that you can select into fields in the editor/inspector, then it "should" work with my asset in some way.

At the worst, you may have to set things up via scripting at runtime instead of the inspector.

Either way, the gist of the procedure is:

1. Create a "Stereoscopic3DImage" object (a container I designed for my asset allowing you to set separate settings per image/video).
    2. Set the texture in the Stereoscopic3DImage object to the one output by AVPro.
    3. Set the 3D settings in the Stereoscopic3DImage object as appropriate to the video.
    4. Set the Stereoscopic3DImage object to the canvas (VR3DMediaViewer component).
    I'd recommend watching the video for my asset, and pausing as needed to examine and understand whats going on, to better conclude yourself if it will work with AVPro.

I recall someone who contacted me before who used my asset with AVPro, but sadly I can not seem to find the conversations and its photos to be more certain and assure you of its compatability.

All I can say is, if you choose to buy the asset, I'll help you as best as I can. And once done, hopefully provide details here for future devs who may have the same concerns as you.

----

As for FPS, that too I cant answer for certain. I don't recall anyone mentioning poor performance with my asset. My first hand experience with the videos/animated textures that I have tried, is things ran well. It really comes down to the video resolution/frame rate, and the users computer/device. I know I've used at least 1920x1080/30fps videos with it just fine (Windows). And with some personal projects I used a 1920x1080/60-90fps mirroring of my desktop, and don't recall any issues.

32. rinkusaru

rinkusaru

Alright seems I'll get the good support atleast just bought buy asset will try in some time and will update you.

33. zeux-n00b

zeux-n00b

Hi
    I have a question, is it possible to assign any hardwire camera-s? (basically simple usb web camera) I wanna see some hardwire synthesizers in VR that im gonna be controlling, btw

34. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

Hello!

I'm not familiar with what you mention. If that's little more then typical Web Cams, and you want to used 2 of them side-by-side to capture 3D video, then I believe Unity still has a feature called WebCamTexture. If I have used it, it was only briefly and not for Stereoscopic 3D. But that said, I don't see why it wouldn't work with this asset.

Assuming you have 2 cameras, and Unity allows you to access both at the same time, then you are likely to end up with 2 WebCamTextures. Such textures could be selected into a Stereoscopic3DImage object (a container used with this asset to know which 3D settings to use with a image/video) if you select the "Two Images" format. From there you would select the Stereoscopic3DImage into a canvas (VR3DMediaViewer component) just as anything else.

35. zeux-n00b

zeux-n00b

Because asset says WebCamTextures so then it can stream 2D in real time from camera device (which is what im looking for). (i changed my mind using more than 1 camera, so lets forget that)..
    Using other device camera (simple web camera that even works with default windows drivers) instead of using ipod or android camera. Because there is no documentation about this flowork i need to ask how is this

36. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

I'm having a little bit of a hard time following. If I'm understanding right, you just want to stream a single normal 2D camera into your scene. If so, my asset is not needed at all. My asset is about taking textures that have Stereoscopic 3D information and displaying them in Unity. Unity handles 2D images, video and WebCamTextures on its own.

37. saxovr

saxovr

Hi there,

I am trying to get this to work with the Oculus Utilities - Speficially for the Oculus Go. My Camera Rig is the OVRCameraRig and I am using unity 2017.4f and all I trying to do is display a steroscopic screenshot I took with the VR Panorama Asset. Do you have any guidance to help me get this working for the Go/GearVR. I want to create a simple Stereo Image viewer (360) for starters. Thanks. Note:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  38. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

Are you right clicking on the Camera Component in the inspector? Or the gameobject? This is often the issue that I've seen people have.

I just made a quick picture that might help, since I see this issue enough.

CommonVR3DMVIssue.png

39. saxovr

saxovr

Thank you! I got it working. Next questions. I used your canvas sphere and it works great. However I have some game objects (a screen) inside the sphere and when in the player, I can see them fine. When I do a build for android and deploy I cant see anything inside the sphere. only the surrounding image. Any idea?

Also on building for Android Oculus Go I has to comment this line out as MovieTexture was not available

MovieTexture movieTexture = renderer.material.mainTexture as MovieTexture;in PlayMovieTextureOnStart.cs

40. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

I'm not sure I understand you well enough. I'm assuming you mean "editor" when you say "when in the player". Meaning, things work fine in Editor, but something isnt working right when compiled. I don't use Android myself. There may be some new change that causes an issue, and I wouldn't be able to help well with that. For now though I'll try to guess about what you mean.

I think that you mean that, an object that happens to be inside the canvas sphere is invisible. Why that may happen could be several things. Perhaps it's closer to the Camera than the Cameras "near clip plane" value will allow to be seen. Perhaps you need to adjust the objects layer and/or the cameras visible layers, as the object may be on a layer that the camera cant see. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Ah yes. I was recently made aware that I forgot to add a case for Android in that script. Its a simple fix, I just haven't updated it yet.

The proper fix is as follows, and will be in the next update.

On Line #13 of PlayMovieTextureOnStart.cs, insert the following 2 lines:

Code (CSharp):
    2. #elif UNITY_ANDROID
    3.         Debug.LogWarning("MovieTexture is unavailable on Android. This script has effectively been disabled.");

41. saxovr

saxovr

Thanks re the extra android if fix.

Regarding my problem, it seems that everything in the scene apart from your white canvas is invisible on the build. In editor/player it is visible (I guess because that doesnt do the left eye, right eye thing as I am running in the game window without VR. Is there something special I need to do to other objects? It is well outside of the clip plane and is tagged as default

42. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

As mentioned, I'm at a loss if this is some issue unique to Android. I know it works for PC/Mac/Linux, and Web builds. Elaborating more, you say the objects layer is tagged as default still, but is the cameras culling mask set to show objects on the default layer? I'd think any camera rig should be set to view the default layer, by default. But who knows...

If that's not the issue... I don't know what else it might be that's causing the issue for you on Android.

43. saxovr

saxovr

Thanks. Sorry I cant' explain it more. Going to experiment. Any idea why my imported texture is so "wavy". I have imported it at max res 8000px but it had a wierd wavy look?

Attached Files:

44. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

That can be one of 2 things. It can be an unavoidable anomaly of stitching with the 360 panorama process. When such a image is made, how its done behind the scenes is, dozens of images are captured at a different angle than the previous capture, and only the center piece of the image is used in the final image output. But as a camera rotates its perspective does too. It sees a object differently, and the stitching wont always look great. Horizontal lines may make it stick out like a sore thumb.

The other thing is that, the canvas I provide in my asset is just something I whipped up for a demo example. Something with a higher polygon count may help that stand out less. The sphere in my asset pack uses 32 coulmns by 16 rows. Or another way, each row of coulmns in the sphere mesh represents 11 degrees of the 360 degrees. A face in a model does not curve so at close observation a part of a image thats meant to be seen as curving or not, may seem the opposite.

You can try using this sphere I just made, if your scene/platform can handle it. It's 128x64. 16,384 Tris.

Further, if able you can try adjusting the value in the 3D panorama capture to sample from more/less degrees.

Attached Files:

45. saxovr

saxovr

Hi Thanks. I solved my missing not seeing objects problem by using a new camera and resetting up (same camera but something must have gone wrong first time). Anyway that is solved. And yes I think the sphere is too low detail because image looks great in skybox. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the awesome fast support! Edit: That solved it. Awesome. Thanks so much. you have been brilliant!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  46. rinkusaru

rinkusaru

Hi
    I purchase your assets and I'm having some issue I see we've to create the stereo asset of the video to play it inside the application.
    But In my project I'm actually streaming the video from the mobile I see in your example we to click on the video and create the stereo image out of that for the configuration.
    But I'm wondering how can i do that at run time and how to make this plugin compatible with Avpro.
    I can give you the Avpro plugin for use if you wanted to check the compatibility of your plugin if you need.
    you can either contact me on my mail directly for one to one my id : mail2rinkusaru@gmail.com.
    thanks.

47. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

I can't/won't accept the AVPro asset, as I'm not legally able to do so having not purchased it myself.

So sadly, I can't offer "perfect" support of my asset when used with it. I'll still try my best though!

I'm going to assume that AVPro only generates a video texture at runtime. If this is not the case, then you simply create a Stereoscopic3DImage using the texture, in the Editor.

For at runtime, you are naturally going to need to do some scripting though.

Lets say that the texture in question is being passed to your script as "myAVProVideoTex".

You get a reference to the canvas, the VR3DMediaViewer.cs script, and call its "SetNewImage()" method. Like:

Code (CSharp):
    1. VR3D.VR3DMediaviewer myCanvas = gameObject.GetComponent<VR3D.VR3DMediaViewer>();
    3. myCanvas.SetNewImage(myAVProVideoTex);
    5. // Then you would likely want to set its format as well, so...
    6. myCanvas.SetImageFormat(VR3D.ImageFormat.Side_By_Side);
    The complete list of methods for the asset that you can call, as well as some events you can subscribe to, are listed in the ReadMe.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  48. rinkusaru

rinkusaru

So I was able to play the video in the meshrenderer. But i was wondering if i can use some canvas item like the rawtexture from the Unity canvas UI element to display the video.
    Is that still possible given that the 3D effect should not go away?

49. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

At this time VR3DMediaViewer does not support Unity UI components like Image/RawImage. Just MeshRendererss and I believe SkinnedMeshRenderers. I'm open to looking into supporting them. If you can make a strong enough case for their support over whats currently supported, I may even get onto that as soon as I can! Either way, I'll add that to my list of things to look into for the next update.

50. rinkusaru

rinkusaru

Well it was needed as I'm using some curve effect in my canvas and using the raw texture to show the video to give the look of curve TV.
    if you decide to support these texuter type that'll be great but at moment I guess I've to find some other solution.
    I've one question though even though the plugin is working if I put the defaultimage empty in the vr3dviewer its throwing null reference error so I've to use some dummy defaulimage which i don't want to do as I'm playing video and assigning texture at runtime.
    Anything to fix this?

DarkAkuma likes this.