Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VPaint: Advanced Vertex Painting [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by beck, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm on the OSX build of Unity 5.0.1 and for some reason stroking at all is an exercise in futility. The stroke will draw, but exceptionally slowly, to the point where it's faster for me to just click repeatedly on each vertex. This is fine on most lower poly meshes, but I need it to work on my character meshes, which can be in excess of 12000 poly. I also have this error in my editor a lot of the time:

It doesn't seem to affect anything, but the slowness itself is a major problem for me. Is there any way to fix this?

2. ruslite

ruslite

Hello!

VPaint supports Unity Terrain + Mesh?

3. beck

beck

@Mugilod,
    Are you sure you've updated to the most recent version of VPaint? This is the issue that was fixed in 1.41.

@ruslite
    Unfortunately vertex colors cannot be applied to Unity Terrain. However, if you are using your own meshes for terrain you can use vertex colors on those.

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

5. beck

beck

Interesting, the line in question is marked under #if UNITY_3_5, which means it shouldn't be triggered if you're on version 5.0.1. Could you try deleting VPaint and reimporting a clean version?

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

That seems to have fixed the error issue, but it's still really impossible to just draw over geometry smoothly.

7. beck

beck

That lag does seem pretty unreasonable! Would it be possible to send me a copy of the mesh you're trying to paint on so I can replicate what you're seeing?

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's every mesh, is the thing. That right there is a generic Unity plane, but it's the same behaviour on all meshes for me, regardless of detail. Like, I even get it on this subdivided sphere. Is it possible this is an OSX related issue? It shouldn't be my hardware, since I doubt VPaint is that intensive.

9. beck

beck

I'm running on OSX as well but I'm not on 10.10 yet. I doubt that is related to the problem but if we run out of options, I'll run the updater and see if it comes up.

Could you open the Profiler window and select "Profile Editor" to see if there's anything relevant showing up?

Does the problem occur in an empty Unity project?

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

So I just discovered some new weirdness. Check this out:

It updates perfectly in the game view, but the editor window is where it seems to become really odd and sluggish. There's huge spikes to scripts and rendering. UpdateSceneIfNeeded also seems to spike a whole lot, to the point where it's also sending 0.7mb to the GC.

edit: it's not the most elegant solution, but right now I'm doing this to compensate.

Then I set the buttons on my tablet pen to be the move to view and align with view shortcuts and I kinda have a workflow built around the bug, for the time being.v I'll at least keep the window layout since it's very handy for testing how my shader looks.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  11. beck

beck

I'm glad you found a workaround. It's certainly disconcerting to see 0.7mb going to the GC all at once, I'll look into what might be happening there and let you know if something turns up.

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

Does this work on Unity 5 and does it work well on mobile?

13. Xiaobin83

Xiaobin83

@beck, I have the same problem as @Murgilod, it's slow in scene, but shows smoothly in game view.

14. Steelshot

Steelshot

I am seeing the colors now but it
    only draws on the Corners of the cube.
    yes the cube is with the VPaint shader
    but it lags when drawing in scene but shows
    perfect;y in game view.

I need VPaint to draw on the cube. Any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  15. Meltdown

Meltdown

Another potential customer lost due to no response to my forum post.

Bye

16. Steelshot

Steelshot

It actually does work on Unity 5 but i do not know
    about Mobile

17. Laurens-Paladin-Studios

Laurens-Paladin-Studios

I am having the same issues as Murgilod and Steelshot.
    Keep up the good work.

18. BorislavBogdanov

BorislavBogdanov

Hello beck,

Is there a way to transfer back the vpaint vertex color after an object has been edited outside unity and re-imported. Is there any known work around to preserve the vpaint vertex color after changing the number of vertexes and/or moving them outside Unity.

Thanks!

19. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

If the object hasn't changed too drastically you should be able to do just that with the object manager in vpaint. It lists objects that have "wrong" vertex data and you can fix them via the Manager. This has been asked several times before (including by me) - so you should find a more detailed answer in this thread.

20. BorislavBogdanov

BorislavBogdanov

Thank you Marco! I will explore this option.

21. HakJak

HakJak

I want to have virtually unlimited, permanent blood stains on my unity terrain and 3D game models in the environment, created during runtime. Would this system be able to do such a thing? In other words, can I have it paint spots on unity terrain and other models where particles collide?

22. Murgilod

Murgilod

I've done some more testing with the lag bug and I've made a discovery: it seems to be a Unity 5 specific issue.

I've tested across two devices and three operating systems and the only situation where I can replicate the bug is in Unity 5 on both OSX and Windows. When I install and use the latest version of Unity 4.6.x, the bug is gone, but when I switch back to 5.0, there it is again. So, at the very least, I guess I've figured out that the problem has a specific use case. For me, at least.

23. beck

beck

Thanks for looking into that @Murgilod, it helps to know that it's Unity 5 specific.

@BorislavBogdanov Let me know if you don't find the answer and I'll help you out. Marco is correct, VPaint keeps a vertex cache so that it can recover if the vertex count changes :)

@Steelshot Check your inbox :)

@Meltdown Yes it's supported in Unity 5 and mobile. A number of users are experiencing lag issues in the Unity 5 editor that will be addressed soon.

To all - sorry for the delayed responses regarding the Unity 5 performance issue. We have been very busy here at Valkyrie trying to ship off our next Guns Up!™ beta. I'll be looking into the lag issue and hopefully have a fix sometime this week.

24. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

Hi Beck, I been using VP from the release day and I love it! recently update my unity to Unity5 (Mobil) and Update VP to 1.4.1 where I found that the "Blend 5 Textures" shader show my mesh in Pink and if I use "Blend 5 Bumped Textures" all works well. What happend with "Blend 5 Textures" shader?

25. Leanimal

Leanimal

Experiencing the same lag issue as everyone else. Very frustrating when working on a deadline...

26. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's been nearly two weeks since an update from the dev. I don't suppose anyone here has a workaround.

27. beck

beck

Hey folks,
    I've been able to track down the issue, it appears that Unity 5 handles scene view repainting slightly different. I'll be submitting a proper fix to the asset store later today, but you can fix the problem in your own version with an easy code change:

[REDACTED, SEE BELOW]

Let me know if you have any issues applying this fix or if it doesn't solve the problem on your end.

- Beck

EDIT:
    After some further investigation, here's a fix that should be less likely to cause other problems:

VPaint.cs, Line#2103
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if(useEvent) Event.current.Use();
    Change to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if(useEvent && Event.current.type != EventType.Repaint && Event.current.type != EventType.Layout) Event.current.Use();

28. Murgilod

Murgilod

I can confirm that this change (and the redacted one) both work on Windows and OSX, thanks!

29. beck

beck

Yeah the redacted one would have worked, but there could have been some potential conflicts with other tools that might be drawing in the scene view so I'd definitely recommend using the one in my edit :)

30. Shapefarm

Shapefarm

Hi Beck,
    Can you do HSV adjustments to the vertex colors? Also, does it support face colors if you want a faceted look?

Cheers,
    Thomas
    Friend & Foe

31. leffe

leffe

Hello, our studio bought vpaint a few months back and we are having some issues with it.
    Everything looks fine until we start the game and painted parts of painted objects freak out. Their GI bake starts
    behaving strange and what we see are big black spots on the painted objects. We are using Unity 5.1 but had the
    same problem with 5.0. I have tried turning of GI when i bake and the black spots disappear so I am pretty sure it has something to do with the baking the GI.

32. pointcache

pointcache

How do i transfer vertex colors from one mesh to another?

33. Vincentvb79

Vincentvb79

I'm having the exact same problems.The problem is that it only show when the editor is in playmodus. It does seem to have something to do with the clones that Vpaint uses. It look like Vpaint is messing up the lightmap UV somehow. I'm sure the objects have a good UV set and the lightbake is set to preserve UV. I tried reverting the models and setting the lightmap UV on preserve and Vpainting afterward but it still seems to come back. It does mess up the UV consistently because all the meshes have the same black and white spots and the same place.

34. designico

designico

@beck
    I bought your plugin. It is great, but there are some smaller issues at least with unity 5 - hope you'll fix them in the future.

My question is if you can give my an hint how to handle baked lightmaps from unity? - I can't figure out how to get a full colored lightmap that has same colors than the original one. I just get a very colorless shading :(
    I just realized that you used "beast" lightmaps and this is not supported anymore. I only bought your plugin to use it to bake lightmaps into vertex - will you update this function? Or is there a workaround?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  35. Twigdamnyou

Twigdamnyou

Hey Beck,
    I was just wondering if there are any plans to support the new PBR based materials in unity 5, and i was also wondering if Height Map based blending would also be possible.
    Great Plugin by the way still working though how to do everything, but I'm liking what I've been able to do thus far

36. SteveF

SteveF

I was about to buy this asset but looking at this thread it seems that there are a few issues. Does AO baking still work in unity 5.1.1? Has there been a fix to the slowdown issue others have described? i have a tight deadline for my game and dont want lots of new problems!!

37. designico

designico

AO baking works quite good, but vertex-light mapping not. And yes, it is very slow. If this guy would fix these things it would be an awesome tool, but right now I can't recommend it!

38. antonov_3d

antonov_3d

Well its been 3 months since developer replied so i assume the project is abandoned, very sad that i have to ditch it.

39. Eric-Chadwick

Eric-Chadwick

VPaint works well in 5.1.1f1 with the fix the developer posted here. I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

It does lose focus sometimes after navigating the scene, but then it just requires a right-click to re-focus the tool on my mesh.

40. yab_gb

yab_gb

I have some questions.
    1) Is there any way to store vertex-color directly to mesh asset(not to instance)?
    2)Can VPaint edit existing vertex color painted in other application(ex.maya)?

41. rstorm000

rstorm000

Is it possible for this to work with the standard shaders in Unity 5?

edit: Also is there a way for it to not destroy my vertex paints if I just move the vertices around (without touching the UV whatsoever)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  42. soldier11213048

soldier11213048

Hi,man
    Whene I Open the paint group I see the yellow box like below
    upload_2015-9-11_15-50-19.png
    and I can't paint my model, why?

43. PolyToots

PolyToots

I'm either being a derp, or something is extremely wrong.

Using 5.2.0f3, the VPaint window never actually pops up anywhere. I can assign the VPaint script to an object or group (via the Component menu) but that's it I can't actually do anything else. I did check out the authors only video tutorial for VPaint to see if I was missing anything. The conclusion I've reached is that it's pretty broken for me.

Anyone got a workaround? Or a suggestion for a plugin that works? I'm supposed to be pitching this as a feasible tool to use for our environments to the art team tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  44. Eric-Chadwick

Eric-Chadwick

Did you use the menu option? Select your mesh, GameObject > VPaint > Create Vpaint Group.

45. PolyToots

PolyToots

Yes, I'm using the options in the component menu, tried both a single object and a group.

This is a new scene, just VPaint loaded in, and a model + textures for it.
    The objects already have Vpaint materials applied.
    The script assigns itself correctly to the object(s)
    But no VPaint window anywhere.

Edit
    Slight correction to version number! Sorry, I'm using 5.2.0f3

46. PolyToots

PolyToots

Okay, so I was being a derp after all! I hadn't noticed that with VPaint group there's a little button on the script component to open VPaint! That works fine.

I am curious though, what is VPaint object for? It seems I still need to apply VPaint group even if I'm only working on a single asset?

47. Garen_

Garen_

Does anyone know if this tool is still working in Unity 5? Or is there any weird performance issues? Was thinking of purchasing it.

48. Garen_

Garen_

I just purchased this plugin and there are huge performance issue with this plugin...
    Within minutes of just using this plugin in the editor window, my cpu temp shoots up to 100 deg celsius on my macbook pro.

I did some digging around and found something suspicious..
    EditorApplication.update method refreshes at 100 times per second according to the API docs and you are calling repaint 100 times per second? Does anyone knows anything about this cause i don't want my macbook to go up in flames..

Code (CSharp):
    1. void RegisterCallbacks ()
    2. {      
    3.       EditorApplication.update += OnEditorUpdateCallback;
    4.       SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate += OnSceneGUICallback;
    5.       ...
    6. }
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void OnEditorUpdateCallback ()
    2. {
    3.     Repaint();
    4.     SceneView.RepaintAll();
    5. }

49. Murgilod

Murgilod

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/vpaint-advanced-vertex-painting-released.192711/page-8#post-2119877

Have you tried applying this fix here? Unfortunately it seems that this asset is no longer supported and the developer hasn't even visited the forums since June.

50. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Such a shame. This tool is great but is fatally flawed in Unity 5. I fixed the performance issue with painting, but hitting play in the editor yields bad lightmapping on the new objects making this tool incompatible.

Just avoid.