Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Voxeland - Voxel Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Radius

Radius

Wright, can you be more specific with what you mean by try decreasing Build, Remove? I am just unsure what you mean by remove settings?.I have rebuilt terrain and it is just a standard 1 x 1 x 1 scale default setting. LOD settings I have been working with and they are helping a little although getting lighting seam artifacts at settings lower than 25.Thank you.

2. Wright

Wright

Build distance, Remove distance, and LOD distance. And btw you can try to increase chunk size, not to reduce it - this will lower the number of draw calls (but this will increase terrain change time). Also if you are going to achieve extreme performance on 2160x1200 resolution I'd like to recommend abandon using normal maps - the shader will switch into a lighter mode. And if you do not need a high view range you can turn off horizon plane.

3. danicrem

danicrem

Wright, just to be sure. If I scale the voxeland down, the grass, trees will also scale down. How do I get them to stay in the same size?

4. JMH_Arts

JMH_Arts

Hello again, i purchased voxeland but got an error (Unity: 5.2.0f3.personal & Voxelland 4.3). Therefore i created a (personal) conversation with you, but i am not sure if you notice that, so i add my error-messages here. Any ideas ?
    Errors:
    Assets/Standard Assets/Effects/ImageEffects/Scripts/Bloom.cs(9,26): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PostEffectsBase' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/Standard Assets/Effects/ImageEffects/Scripts/GlobalFog.cs(9,23): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PostEffectsBase' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    Warnings:
    There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/Main/Chunk.cs' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.
    Warnings (same Text as before) are for:
    Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/Main/Chunk.cs
    Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/Editor/LayoutTools.cs
    Assets/Voxeland/Shaders/Constructor.shader

5. JMH_Arts

JMH_Arts

Ok, i deleted every folder. As you mentioned, it is a bug, because of the import of standard-assets. After deleting everything, it seems to be working. Thanks for the reply

6. Wright

Wright

JMH_Arts, I'll repeat it here to inform every user:

Do not import Standard Assets folder from Voxeland package.

I don't even know why Asset Store Tools include this folder in package while I manually select files that should be shipped. It seems that AST consider themself smarter than me and think that if there are any dependences they should be included no matter of what I specify. It's very inconvenient and unfortunately it's not the first time package gets the extra passengers.
    Fixed version is pending review now.

7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm interested in a voxel terrain tool for an upcoming project. I had a play with your demo and it's pretty darn nice!

A few questions:
    - I notice there's some LOD popping in the distance. Are there settings that would allow us to reduce or preferably eliminate this?

- For the most part the player will be flying around at pretty high velocity exploring. On occasion we'll want them to be able to dig or blow a hole in the ground. So it seems to me that we'll usually want baked terrain meshes. Assuming that we're happy to modify the source as may be required, would it be possible to swap between baked and editable meshes depending on what the player is doing?

- For the editor, what kind of brushes are available for sculpting the landscape? I don't want my art team to have to touch every unit by hand to build out our terrains.

- We want pretty big terrains - say 2km x 2km - with fairly long view distances. Do you have a ballpark of what kind of memory footprint we might be looking at?

8. Radius

Radius

Hi Wright, thanks for the suggestions, i worked with a lot of these settings, the lighter version of the shader with no normal maps made a huge difference with framerate, unfortunately It just doesn't look great, but might work with it.
    Some things I noticed with version 4.2 once you scale a terrain you are no longer able to change the the tile size of a texture. Might be a bug?. A simple plateau brush would be great for smoothing out large areas as the smooth tool really only works on small sections and can take a very long time, if you happen to hit the wrong key once you need to start all over again when trying to make smooth walkable paths. Undo button would be very welcome. A few terrains have become corrupt when I hit the out edge and created a whole I was not able to fill again. Pen pressure for using a wacom tablet to paint with would be a great addition also, it's a huge difference with the looks you can get and speed of creating areas.

9. doublegumbo

doublegumbo

@Wright It might be possible if you also have the Relilef Terrain Pack and are using the terrain blend features of that plugin. I plan on using RTP shaders in Voxeland a little ways down the road but I'm not there yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

10. Wright

Wright

angrypenguin, I'd recommend to increase build distance to eliminate noticeable terrain popping, but this approach has a drawback: it will increase terrain build time... If I could do this without drawbacks I definitely would make it in demo ) And the player move speedily in you scene, so increasing build time is not the way out. It's a difficult case.
    Baked terrain is not a good approach: I've tried to bake 2x2 terrain for test, it is still calculating, but Unity already got 6 Gb of memory. I'm pretty sure that there is no sense to go on baking.
    The only thing I can recommend is scaling up an infinite editable terrain so that each block will be 2 units in size, not 1.

Editor has a brush in a form of cube and 'sphere' (not an ideal sphere though, it is still made of blocks).

Radius, just tried to change a texture size by setting "Tile" parameter in block type settings and it works pretty well on both upscaled and downscaled terrains. I'm using v4.31 (that soon will be available at AssetStore) but this part of a code was not changed - at least fixed - so it should work in 4.2. How do you set texture size? Do you press "Rebuild" button after setting new size? I like the idea of plateau brush. I can hardly image painting Voxeland with wacom tablet, but I plan to experiment with pen pressure for Erosion Brush anyways.

gumbomasta, I think that the main difficulty is in seamless welding of both terrain meshes.

11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Ok, is there somewhere in code I can implement my own brush shapes? Preferably I'd like to make dynamic brush shapes - change the set of blocks which will get modified based on data I read around the cursor. So I'd want to read some data from around the cursor, do some custom logic, and then update the selection of blocks that a click will modify.

I understand the implications of a voxel terrain and that we'll need to make some tradeoffs, so I'm cool with that. I'm currently researching (and soon prototyping) to see the best way to approach them.

Bummer. For our digging we'll want those 1-unit blocks. It could just be that we need to re-think how digging will work.

I know! That's a little bit of what draws me to it.

12. Radius

Radius

Hi Wright, thank you for testing this, I thought it was just scaled terrain, but it seems now any terrain I make I cannot set different scale size. Yes I set texture size and rebuild every time like you say. It was working fine until I updated a few days ago to the current version you have up. Only other thing I can think of is that I bought RTP also and tried to integrate that. Could it have something to do with that even though i am not using it on my current terrain?. I'll post some images soon of what I am working on when I get this figured out.

13. Wright

Wright

New version 4.31 is available at asset store.

- it has number of textures per terrain doubled
    - new terrain creation algorithm with the ability to resize or offset existing limited terrain
    - constant brush: terrain changes constantly while mouse button is pressed. Please note that it will dig or add one layer of blocks only to avoid creating ugly spikes or deep holes.
    - terrain build progress gauge in editor

14. 321Alex

321Alex

Hey everyone. Considering what my best voxel solution is and I came across this one. I want to make a game with basic physics where if a voxel is not supported it will fall straight down. Something along the lines of sand in minecraft. Will this work with this asset and does doing this become more complicated with smoothed voxels?

15. Radius

Radius

Hi Wright, just letting you know I am seeing some issues after updating to this version compared to the pervious version.

1.After rebuilding, saving terrain data asset and level, if you enter play mode in the editor the terrain reverts back to the original save version, when you come back to editor all changes are gone. Happened to me now over multiple levels and have lost hours of work thinking it was saving :(

2. Some large chunks will just randomly stop drawing, to get them back you have to play around wit LOD settings and that does not always work either.

3. Performance in the editor for sculpting now is so slow, even with any lighting switched off and very small terrains.

4. Large lines splitting up the terrain creating holes will randomly show up and you cannot go back.

I am just letting you know, in case you had not seen these issues before, I'm going to have to stop using this version try and roll back.

16. AdanGrotesco

AdanGrotesco

Hi.
    Before of all, sorry for my poor english.

have voxeland some tipe of api for spawn villages or enemies?

Thanks.

17. Wright

Wright

321Alex, Voxeland does not have any internal physics - all unsupported voxels or voxel groups will remain at their place. I plan to make a feature to auto-remove such voxels - a floating stone looks a bit wierd - and make a 'floor unsupported block to the ground' as a variant. However it will not be an animation of falling blocks, at least I have no plans to implement such animation yet.

Radius, I've just checked all items of the report and I'm a bit confused because I could not reproduce them. So I need some more details (you can send them to mail@denispahunov.ru). First of all: what is your Voxeland version (could be found in 'about' section) and Unity version?
    1. I was changing terrain, saving it (in some tests), rebuilding it (in some tests), switching to playmode and switching back (all changes remained) both on demo scene terrain and new terrain. Am I doing that right? Do you encounter the same issue in demo scene? If not then could you please send me your scene without excess objects?
    2. Didn't you notice when chunks stop drawing? What lod settings do you set to make it work? Btw I guess that 4 is the consequence of this bug.
    3. How much time takes it to change a chunk (in profiler: UpdateSceneIfNeeded - BehaviourUpdate - VoxelandTerrain.Update() when clicking anywhere on terrain with Profile Editor turned on)? Is sculption in playmode slow too?

AdanGrotesco, Voxeland can spawn prefabs of any type, including npc or enemies. But it is not recommended to make a prefab more than 1 unit in width/length - like house or entire village - just because it could partly intersect the terrain (unless you will make a special flat place for it).

18. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

Hey there! Just got this, and extremely nice. I was wondering where to add additional textures in to the generator? I see where to add new textures in the list of textures, but for instance if i wanted to create sandy beach platues lower than the default grass plateus, using a new texture, I do not see where to do that. Any help on that? Thanks :)

19. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

also caves don't seem to generate passed the initial terrain chunk.

20. Wright

Wright

There is no way to add multiple textures to a single generator - only one block type per generator. Currently I'm thinking about taking some of the generator system from MapMagic, or maybe integrating Voxeland and MapMagic together.

21. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

definitely interested in that plugin when it happens.

22. AdanGrotesco

AdanGrotesco

Can voxeland generate caves on a infinite terrain? Can you post other styles of terrain can make? I love this engine so much but i want to be shure before buy it.
    Thanks a lot.

23. Wright

Wright

Voxeland cannot generate caves by auto generator.

I wanted to experiment with terrain styles anyway, so I'll post some screenshots when I will get some results - but definitely it will not be soon. Have a look at Subnautica or Fathom - these are the most dissimilar projects from what is seen on Voxeland screens - but keep in mind that they do not use vanilla Voxeland, but modify and re-write it to suit their needs (I'm not even sure that there is something left from original Voxeland speaking of Subnautica).

Btw if someone know other stylish Voxeland projects feel free to post links here.

24. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Ok, so I'm giving Voxeland a spin. Just created a terrain and started playing with the brush. I keep running into this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    2. Voxeland.Matrix3`1[System.Byte].set_Item (Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 z, Byte value) (at Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/Main/Matrix.cs:256)
    3. Voxeland.Data+Column.SetBlock (Int32 y, Byte t) (at Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/Main/Data.cs:54)
    4. Voxeland.Data.SetBlock (Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 z, Byte t) (at Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/Main/Data.cs:855)
    5. Voxeland.VoxelandTerrain.SetBlocks (Coord coord, Byte type, Int32 extend, Boolean spherify, EditMode mode, Boolean updateCollider) (at Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/VoxelandTerrain.cs:898)
    6. Voxeland.VoxelandTerrain.Update () (at Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/VoxelandTerrain.cs:377)
    7. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorApplicationBindings.gen.cs:270)
    Naturally when that pops up the edit doesn't apply.

A couple of other questions:

- I'd like to have my art team create custom brushes in their 3D modelling programs and use those rather than the built in sphere and cube. Happy to code that myself (for each point in a bounding box around the brush location test whether it is inside the brush mesh or not, if it is inside then either add or remove voxels according to the user operation), just thought I'd ask if you've any pointers about things I should be aware of.

- I did already try increasing the max brush size above 6. The bigger I make the brush the more often I hit the error quoted above. Any ideas?

25. Wright

Wright

2all You can greatly simplify the task of testing and fixing bugs by adding some additional information with your error report. This information will be extremely useful, even more useful then error log. So in an perfect report I'd like to see the answer to these questions:
    - what is your Voxeland version (could be checked in 'About' section in inspector when Voxeland object is selected)?
    - does this error occurs in demo scene?
    - what were the circumstances when the error occurred (or started to occur)? Were you adding blocks, digging, smoothing, performing undo, resizing, changing something in settings? Any details or hints will be appreciated.

angrypenguin, you've got to write your own brush function, similar to VoxelandTerrain.SetBlocks(). Here instead of setting all of the volume blocks (starting from line 888) skip blocks that are empty in your prepared blocks array (like it is done for the spherify brush that checks if blocks are outside radius). Or maybe it's better not to clone function, but add a "model" mode similar to spherify.

I could reproduce a bug after a while. Seems that a vast brush is touching terrain zero-level and below. Fixed, fix will be available at asset store soon (as a minor change without version increase).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    angrypenguin likes this.
  26. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Having had a bit more of a look at the code, that's what I was thinking I'd do.

Yeah, I should have said that this seems to happen mostly with flat / low terrain. Seems like you've figured it out anyway.

Another question regarding editing. It seems that with large brushes edits can take quite some time to apply. I'll do some investigation myself but you might already know - is there any particular place I might look to make some time savings when applying changes with very large brushes? (I assume that the system is optimised for making small changes at the moment, since that's what you'd usually do with this kind of thing at runtime.)

27. bocs

bocs

just testing and get this everytime...
    Known issues?
    *Using 5.1.4f1

create 100 x 100
    click Generate Selected Area...error (No default values changed)

create 50 x 50
    click Generate Selected Area...error (No default values changed)

28. sefou

sefou

Hello bocs,

Voxeland version 4.32 work fine with Unity 5.2 0f3.

29. Wright

Wright

bocs, your chunk is too big, and moreover, it is tall and has vast surfaces on the sides. Consider using chunk size of 25 (while the terrain size could be still set to 100 or 50). A terrain of one chunk only can be unreliable.
    Or raise non-generated terrain level in settings to 100 or above.

angrypenguin, I guess that disabling undo can help a bit. Just comment out all undo stuff in SetBlocks.

30. Elenesski

Elenesski

I am interested in creating a tool with vertical elements and overhangs (your tool can do this). The result your tool creates isn't fine enough for my needs. Can I use a tool like Blender to refine the mesh or perhaps http://www.protoolsforunity3d.com/quickedit/ to refine your result to the level I need?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  31. Wright

Wright

Voxeland terrain chunks could be baked to unity meshes. To edit them in Blender you need to export it to .obj file, you can use export scripts like this one. It should be possible to edit meshes within Unity (without export) with a tool you've mentioned, however I have not tested it.

32. danicrem

danicrem

Hello,
    I have a problem with the heightmap import. Is there any tutorial for making the heightmaps and applying them in voxeland?

The best I could get was creating a 150x150 pixel displacement map in tiff format. Then set it (in Unity) to advanced texture type and enable read/write. Next in voxeland set only Texture (disable the other block types), height scale to 50 , terrain size to 150. I need a super small block size, so I choose 1. And 0 terrain margins. The only problem then is that the terrain seems to go beyond the generated terrain (blue grid).
    Then it generates the terrain. But because I need scaling it down, I need a 1500 unit terrain, that I scale down 10 times. If I try using the same method with a 1500x1500 texture, it fails.
    Also the png is a problem, because of compression. It generates compression artifacts.

So, could you explain more in depth how to do it?

Daniel

33. danicrem

danicrem

I fully support this idea (at least the auto removing of floating voxels):
    "321Alex, Voxeland does not have any internal physics - all unsupported voxels or voxel groups will remain at their place. I plan to make a feature to auto-remove such voxels - a floating stone looks a bit wierd - and make a 'floor unsupported block to the ground' as a variant. However it will not be an animation of falling blocks, at least I have no plans to implement such animation yet."

34. danicrem

danicrem

I now see that I was using an old voxeland asset. But in the new one, if I create a new terrain with:
    Limited terrain
    terrain size 1500
    block size 1
    initial fill 1
    Unity freezes and crashes. I get a message below: Voxeland.VoxelandCreate must be initiated using the ScriptableObject.CreateInstance instead of creating a new VoxelandTerrain.

Next I created a terrain with
    terrain size 300
    block size 30
    initial fill 1
    This one worked. But if I scale it down by 10, I have a 30x30 m terrain for the player... That is a bit small.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  35. AdanGrotesco

AdanGrotesco

36. AdanGrotesco

AdanGrotesco

37. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

lol adan, you tried to download warez? bad boy :D

38. AdanGrotesco

AdanGrotesco

Nope, i found it brosing "voxeland" in google :S

39. Wright

Wright

Note that it is even a next year's release :D Yeah, that's where I take all of the new Voxeland versions to put them on asset store!

danicrem, it seems that under the "block size" you mean the chunk size. If you set chunk size to 30, terrain size to 1500 and then downscale terrain 10 times you'll get terrain with 150 meters side, but since it still has 1500*1500*h blocks it will take a lot of time to calculate. I really recommend using dynamic terrain, not a limited one.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  40. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Hello Mr. Wright,

after a long think I decided for Voxeland .

Bought and irrespective of the AssetStore downloaded Readme file is opened and wanted to work through the Quick Start .

To create Voxeland terrain click GameObject >3D Object >Voxeland terrain . A Voxeland
    creation window will appear .

But done anywhere I can create a terrain ? Furthermore, I get this error in the Console

Voxeland.VoxelandCreate must be instantiated using the ScriptableObject.CreateInstance method instead of New VoxelandCreate .
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow : .ctor ( )
    Voxeland.VoxelandCreate : .ctor ( )
    Voxeland.VoxelandCreate Show CreateWindow ( ) (at Assets / Voxeland / Scripts / Editor / VoxelandEditor.cs 1033 )
    UnityEditor.GenericMenu : CatchMenu ( Object, String [ ] , Int32 )

I hope I did not regret this purchase and they can help me quickly ?

41. Wright

Wright

Twoonebe, Sorry, I didn't quite get what's happening after you click "Voxeland terrain". Can you see a creation window? Do you get any errors besides this warning (they should be marked with red icon, not the yellow one)?

42. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

@Wright Can I make cube-based voxel terrain like minecraft, trove, cubeworld?

Is the terrain viewable in scene editor, means, can I place objects in the editor view mode?!

Thanks

43. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Here is a screenshot just after the I want to create voxel terrain . No CreateButton as on your video or as described in the manual only warning I have no idea what is going on below , I use Unity 5.2.2
    Voxeland.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  44. Wright

Wright

Devision4, the main purpose of Voxeland is to make a smoothed voxel terrain, not a cubical one. It cannot make cube-shaped blocks.
    Terrain could be viewed and modified both in editor (ie in scene view) and in playmode (in game view).

Twoonebe, try resizing create window. The button should be somewhere below offset parameter, just drag lower window border down. It is strange that I've got a right window height, I'll try to find out why it happens. Thanks for your report.

45. KingCorona

KingCorona

@Wright What's the method for getting a height of a block? We have the latest version running in Unity5.2.1F1 and have achieved some awesome results, however the current method for placing certain items (i.e trees) isn't how we are trying to get it. Basically I'm trying to return a blocks position / height so we can distribute trees a little differently. Drop me a PM if you wish!

46. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

@Wright Any chance you implement cube-based world? At least optional or a plugin ?!

47. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Hello Mr. Wright ,

sry but I do not come next . I'm just not happy with Voxeland either her Quick Guide 2 years or whatever it is simply not forward why I have now decided against Voxeland .

All others I wish more luck I hope I was just an exception

48. KingCorona

KingCorona

There are plenty of cheap, free and open source ones out there for cube worlds, Why not use them?

49. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

because non of them really worked or they extreme resource intensive...

50. KingCorona

KingCorona

Try this...

or this http://sourceforge.net/projects/minepackage/

and look here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/after-playing-minecraft.63149/page-24#post-1026478

Voxeland normalises and relaxed each facet of the mesh as it navigates the build tree, it doesn't just build a "Minecraft" type voxel terrain and THEN normalize it from what I know, althought it would have been possible to work with in earlier versions, it was modified a while back and alot of functions were combined, making it fairly hard to not have smoothed meshes now if I'm not mistaken.

From a quick scan of your other content / posts, you don't seem to understand how alot of these systems work and how to place objects procedurally, why not learn the basics of walking before you run? its fairly simple to randomise and place objects at run-time when a terrain loads

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015