Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Voxeland - Voxel Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Jun 25, 2013.

1. tswhitfield

tswhitfield

Wright,
    I was hoping you were going to say that. :) I did notice that about the trees. Now just to figure it out. Thanks!

2. yoziva

yoziva

Thanks for the answers. I changed the chunk size to 15 (had it to 30 before).
    VoxellandTerrain.Update() now takes around 10ms instead of 16ms.
    The PhysX mesh backing takes around 1ms :

I don't use the ambient occlusion feature. Here are my settings :

Cheers.

3. Wright

Wright

yoziva, to speed up further you can try setting terrain margins to 1. But the seams between chunks will become visible sometimes. If you do not need a smooth terrain you can comment out "Relax 2" region of Chunk script, this will remove seams along with one iteration of smoothness.
    If you don't mind, could you please pm or mail me your hardware specs. It takes a lot longer bake physx for me.

Wumpee,I don't quite understand what happened to scene. Turning limited terrain will obviously crop the unlimited one to the area that set in settings, but I guess it is not what you mean. Could you please email me your scene or take a screenshot?

cochtl, Voxeland uses collision for terrain editing the same way standard Unity terrain does. Turning off collision will make a terrain non-editable. I guess someone might need non-editable non-colliding terrain, but there were no requests for that. Usually it is better to bake a terrain when no editing is planned.

livio3d, indeed, for some reason it resets material. But after restarting Unity everything works as expected. I will sort it out.
    You can set a tree block the same way you set any other blocks - using voxeland.SetBlock(x,y,z,type) where x,y,z are tree coordinates, and type is a number of tree block (note that type 0 is air, so first terran/object block starts with 1).

yoziva, Wumpee, my email is mail@denispahunov.ru

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  4. BobbyCGD

BobbyCGD

Hello Wright,

I am experiencing a very nasty memory leak, but I can't find where is it coming from. According to the unity profiler the number of Meshes keep increasing and they keep taking up more and more memory. This causes the GFX Driver to eat more memory as well. Everything seems to be fine in the editor as chunks appear and dissapear from the scene ( looks like they are deleted ), unfortunately this is not what happens behind the scenes.. Do you have any suggestions on this? I need to sort this out A.S.A.P. I would be very happy if you can get back to me as soon as possible. P.S. The memory is not released after I hit the Play/Stop button, I have to close the application completely, it is not because of Unity as the same behaviour occurs for a build version..

EDIT: I forgot to mention when I view the meshesh in the profiler this info is in the tab Referenced By: HideAndDontSave, Manager or AssetBundle();

Regards,
    Boris

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  5. Disastorm

Disastorm

I have this issue too. Can someone post a video guide or something ?

I already commented out the line in the shader specified before doing this.
    What I do is I create the Voxeland object, generated it, then added the Relief Terrain to the Voxeland object.
    However, when I do that it starts automatically unchecked for some reason. Anyway I've tried both cases of it unchecked and checked.
    I enable RTP in the Settings of the Voxeland object and when I regenerate the Voxeland object its all white.
    I change the material to the specified ReliefTerrainPMTriplanarStandalone shader but its still white even if I regenerate it again.

It may also be worth noting that when I add the Relief Terrain to the object, it has some errors in console saying that the script was trying to access a Renderer object which does not exist on the Voxeland object and also that the Splat (detail) textures 0 1 2 and 3 are set to null on the Relief Terrain Component. Is there anything I have to do about this? Do I actually have to fill out some settings on the Relief Terrain Component?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey, maybe there is just a Bug with the Web Player of Unity but i was try to reach the End of the Map in your 4.0 Demo and clamping my W key with a heavy metal Stick to fly without my control^^.

Im using Firefox on win 8.1, Amd a 10, radeon HD 6670
    After 100 Minutes the Web Player was Shutting down i was away from the Keyboard and i dont know if this is from your Software ore from Unity, maybe this helps your product, i love Voxeland and i will buy it, its fantastic, amazing work.

I just got 3 questions
    1: Can you save the World in Runtime, i want let the player create his own Paradise and need to find a way to save it.
    2: I saw you spawn some Stuff like a Light, and i watched the Tutorial to get a look, can you Spawn every Prefab, lets say NPCs ore big Buildings?
    3: I saw the Tree just got beamed on the Enterprise when you try to sculpt the landscape in this Place, is there a way to add a falling animation ore something that looks natural before the tree get deleted?

A great Product im looking good in the future.

7. Wright

Wright

BobbyCGD, are you sure that you've got memory leak? Garbage collector behavior is rather complex and sometimes contains no visible logic to user. I've got meshes accumulating until they reach up more than 0.5 Gb, and then suddenly they reset to 200 Mb. Have you experienced any Unity crashes?

You can insert this code anywhere in chunk class (for example, to line 264) to make sure that meshes are 100% destroyed with chunk:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         public void OnDestroy ()
    2.         {
    3.             if (hiFilter.sharedMesh != null) DestroyImmediate(hiFilter.sharedMesh);
    4.             if (loFilter.sharedMesh != null) DestroyImmediate(loFilter.sharedMesh);
    5.             if (grassFilter.sharedMesh != null) DestroyImmediate(grassFilter.sharedMesh);
    6.         }
    I'll keep this code in a new version... just in case.

Or you can turn on "Save Meshes with Scene" parameter in setting to remove HideAndDontSave flag (HideFlags.DontSaveInBuild | HideFlags.DontSaveInEditor flags in U5) from meshes to make Unity destroy meshes itself.

Disastorm, ah, bingo! I finally realized what do you mean under "white terrain". It is not a shader or material error. It's a snow. Terrain is covered with snow from it's bottom to it's top, so it looks white.
    To fix it select voxeland object, click on the material to expand it, and set up "Coverage height threshold" and "Coverage height length" parameters.

Anyways, I've made a quick video on how to make Voxeland work with RTP:

Useless Media, 1. You can convert voxel data to list of bytes using voxeland.data.SaveToByteList() function. Then you can serialize this list, making a game save.
    2. Any prefab could be spawned, but I do not recommend spawning something larger than 1 block in length. Just for aesthetic reasons: big building, if spawned not on a flat ground, can intersect the terrain surface.
    3. You can add a script to your terrain prefab with "OnDestroy" function, it will be called any time this object is destroyed. For example, it can spawn another prefab with a stump and animated or rigidbody-controlled remaining part of the tree.

P_Jong and Deleted User like this.
  8. BobbyCGD

BobbyCGD

Wright likes this.
  9. Disastorm

Disastorm

Thanks Wright, I got it working with RTP

Wright likes this.
  10. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

11. alecie

alecie

Is it possibile to create planetary shaped meshes with this?

12. Wright

Wright

Assets Reporter, that's really nice, thanks!

Neomex, Voxeland was not designed to make planets. Voxeland's internal data structure is cubical. Imagine cubical terrain like Minecraft - on 6 sides of the planet it will be ok, but in others it will be inclined. It will irritate and confuse player.

13. notoriousnary

notoriousnary

I'm looking to use voxeland in my project but I can't seem to find a clear cut answer to a few burning questions

1. It appears different textures are applied using block types? if this is correct can you force certain block types to be used on generation using infinite terrain? (i.e. in one area the default grass would be my custom "sand" instead)
    2. Is there a limit to the number of block types that can be used to generate terrain? (i.e. could I add a second cliff type that would be added to the mix)
    3. I'm fairly sure the answer is yes to this one but to check, if the player walks far enough my understanding is that the "chunk" is unloaded? I assume that the original terrain is preserved somewhere and reloaded if the player enters the area?

Apologies if I have missed anything obvious in previous posts.

14. Wright

Wright

notoriousnary, you can set any block type for each generator, but mixing them in one generator is not possible, i.e. you can select only one block type for erosion sediment, only one for all glens, etc.

Chunks unload from memory if player walks far from them, but they do not unload immediately in case if player would like to return. There is a queue of chunks (it's size depends on build distance), and built chunks leave it (unload) when new chunks should be built.

Speaking about generated land: any area that was changed by player is saved and will not be generated anymore until new data loading (for example, on restart). Areas that were just visited, but not changed are unloaded, and then generate again when player re-visit them to reduce the saved data size.

15. notoriousnary

notoriousnary

thanks for the quick response, just to check my understanding on the block types in an infinite terrain situation, is the generator shared between all the areas? or is a generator tied to an algorithm "fractal, grass etc." so we could as an example say (if fractal use block types grass,rock,dirt and then for forest use types leaves,grass,rock)?

Also would it be possible for us to try and build our own generators? or is that fixed with no route for modification?

Thanks, nick

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  16. Wright

Wright

notoriousnary, there are 7 types of generators that apply to every area sequentially: level, texture, noise, glen, erosion, forest and grass. Each generator has a certain block type, and it adds a layer of that blocks to the terrain when generate function is called. Apparently you mean biomes? No, Voxeland generator does not support biomes.

Voxeland comes with all the source code, so you can try writing your own generator. But I don't think that integrating it with Voxeland would be an easy task (depends on complexity of generator).

17. funnyman6685

funnyman6685

I was able to make a sudo desert biome by modifying your code and adding it to the level as you can see, I got a sudo desert which I am still working on the code and is adoptable to other biome systems.Can I get a more commented source or a break down of what the code is doing? so I can create it further if not it's cool I can break it down but will take a little time, also is there any future to add a biomes system?
    SL_Biomes.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  18. Snownebula

Snownebula

Does this work on spheres? And does this work on multiplayer?

19. Wright

Wright

Snownebula, do you mean planets? Voxeland was not designed to make planets. Voxeland's internal data structure is cubical. Imagine cubical terrain like Minecraft - on 6 sides of the planet it will be ok, but in others it will be inclined. It will irritate and confuse player.

You can serialize Voxeland changes and entire data over the net.

funnyman6685, currently I'm working on a new generator asset that will work both with Voxeland and standard terrains. It will have a biomes support, but I don't know ETA yet.

20. Snownebula

Snownebula

21. Varthlokkur

Varthlokkur

Is there a way to stop the constant rebuilding of the terrain in the editor on run/stop and still have the terrain editable?

22. Wright

Wright

A built up terriain is not serializable - it means that it have to be rebuilt on every deserialization: on script compile, on playmode switch, etc. There is no way to get a terrain instantly after the playmode switch except baking it, but in this case terrain will not be editable.

23. AstralStew

AstralStew

Heya Wright, I was hoping I could get some advise. I'm using an Oculus Rift + Leap Motion setup with a miniature Voxeland terrain sitting in front of the player, and I'm trying to set up a system in which the player can edit a block based on a collision with a finger object (basically just a normal collider), rather than a raycast. From what I understand of VoxelandTerrain.cs, it seems I'd have to pass that collision with the LoResChunk rather than the raycastHitCollider collision (~line 876). However, the next few lines use the raycastHitData.triangleIndex to work out the relevant faces, and I can't figure out a way of working out the triangleIndex without the raycast.

So I guess I'm asking;
    1. Is working out the faces necessary for actually editing the terrain, or only displaying the selection?
    2. How would you suggest working out the triangleIndex from a collision rather than a raycast?
    3. Alternatively, is there a simple way to check the data coords of a block from its world position?

Thanks for developing such a beautiful asset :)

24. Varthlokkur

Varthlokkur

Thank you. Thats what I thought. Im new to terrains. I just kept running into the memory leak issue from the previous post. PC slowed down to a crawl. When I looked Unity was running at 13GB of ram. I applied the Fix you posted and it looks like its working pretty good. Now I get the following errors 16 to 300+ times depending on terrain size. Where in the inspector do I apply this? I dont see a field.

and btw .. love the way this asset works and looks !

25. doublegumbo

doublegumbo

quick question for @Wright or anyone else who might be able to give guidance here - I'm trying to add a fifth terrain and sixth terrain block type to my voxeland object and it's causing this to happen:

The fifth terrain block uses the texture from the first terrain block, ignoring the new texture and the sixth (and all terrain blocks made after) causes a 'blank' black terrain. Does this mean I can only use four texture blocks for terrain in my landscape or is there a feature or setting I'm overlooking? I can add more grasses and tree block types, but actual terrain seems limited to four.

thanks
    -G

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  26. Wright

Wright

CaptainTaz, voxeland face is not just a polygon, but a structure that contains information that is vital for terrain editing - such as block coordinates. So getting a face is necessary for terrain editing, not just displaying highlight.

I believe that you have a capsule collider of a finger. In this case you can try using Physics.CapsuleCast() instead Physics.Raycast() and get hit triangle index from RaycastHit the same way as in the raycast.

If your terrain is placed in zero coordinates and was not scaled then the simplest method of getting block coordinates by world position is just flooring Vector3 to ints.
    Varthlokkur
    , do you get this error on demo scene? If you don't - could you please mail me your scene (mail@denispahunov.ru)

gumbomasta, I'm working on expanding the number of texture channels right now, and I expect new version in next couple of days.

Interestingly, I receive requests for some features almost simultaneously from different sources )

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  27. doublegumbo

doublegumbo

thanks for the speedy and pro-active response @Wright ! looking forward to making my voxel terrains even more finely detailed. :D

28. Varthlokkur

Varthlokkur

Yes I recieve 56 of them in the demo scene. There is no script or fields in the inspector to add
    hiFilter.sharedMesh to. Im guessing after that the loFilter.sharedMesh and grassFilter.sharedMesh will want need to be added to the inspector.

So I added the Chunk script to the inspector now and those 3 fields are there on that script. I have No idea what to assign to them. After doing that I now get the error 1 time when stopping the scene.

Sent you the scene.

29. doublegumbo

doublegumbo

Quick question for @Wright --- I'm trying to build terrrain around a structure and that requires me to move the whole voxeland object. However, if I move the object, the 'guide' cursor does not move with it. Is this something I can fix?

thanks

30. doublegumbo

doublegumbo

I made a quick fix in the Voxeland script. Check it out:

First, the offset in in the inspector:

Then, I change the part of the Voxeland script that calls the preview 'cube' or 'sphere.'

so far, so good.

31. U2

U2

I tried to do an export as a mesh in the scene. Then when I run the Unity object export tool or any other model export tool they always come up with null reference errors on the voxeland meshes. If I was to try and get my voxeland terrain into a 3d modeling program what would the process be? This is pretty much make or break for me.

Edit: I found turning off texture and material export stuff stopped the errors.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  32. DarkXess

DarkXess

Hey guys, before I purchase this I am wondering if its working ok with Unity 5 and lets say (Windows 10) for keeps sake.

If not, are there any due updates? thanks :)

33. Wright

Wright

gumbomasta, thanks for report, I'll fix this bug in an upcoming version by subtracting transform position.

U2, so is it ok now? I'm thinking about adding export module to Voxeland itself, it will create an obj or fbx with a couple of clicks, merge all the chunk meshes in one, etc. It will not be included in upcoming version, but it is rather high in my todo list.

DarkXess, Voxeland is fully compatible with Unity 5. Most probably it will work with Windows 10 as it should, but I have not tested it yet.

DarkXess likes this.
  34. U2

U2

Well in all honesty I was trying to export in order to convert to a polyworld mesh but so far no luck. So if you export utility would enable me to do that in the future that'd be awesome. Till then Im evaluating what I want to do with my art style as Im torn between the polyworld concept but I doo love the voxel terrains and have always wanted to put out a title using them. Not so much building on the fly as much as a modeling tool for in game scenes. They look so cool. Anyways.

35. GalacticGlum

GalacticGlum

This is procedural right? Because I'm creating a survival esk game and want my game to have a procedural generated world that generates as you go like in Minecraft. It seems like your demo did that. Also does this engine have saving/loading of the terrain? Also if I do get it is it possible to swap out the trees, textures, etc.. and add news ones? Also is it possible to add new trees, and textures, and etc.. for more variety? And regarding those last two questions is it easy?

36. easynoob

easynoob

Is Pathfinding planned?

37. Wright

Wright

GalacticGlum, you can use both procedural and edited (saved) terrains in one Voxeland object. Some of the terrain areas (area is 512*512 blocks square) contain saved terrain information, others are generating in playmode. Area is marked as 'saved' once the changes to it's terrain were made.

You can save terrain in-game by calling one function (Data.SaveToByteList). It will return a list of bytes, that could be serialized the way you want using your own scripts.

Changing textures and objects to you own ones is not just possible, but recommended - the assets included are more like demo assets. Nothing could be easier than assigning your assets to Voxeland - all prefabs and textures are assigned in the inspector.

easynoob, I plan to keep Voxeland a terrain engine, not to make a fully-functional game of it. Pathfinding through a 3-dimensional boolean array is a separate task out of the scope of Voxeland, it could be done by a game developer himself depending on his needs.

38. nightdragon

nightdragon

hi,
    I am having trouble with Voxeland. The auto generator doesn't work properley. It keeps on giving me errors the indices are out of range. All I did was change the settings. Plus the grass block doesn't work.

nevermind I fixed it. :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  39. Wright

Wright

Was it a Voxeland bug or something else? If a problem is in Voxeland - could you please mail me it's description or a way to reproduce to fix it in upcoming version (mail@denispahunov.ru)?

40. nightdragon

nightdragon

Not sure if its a Unity or a Voxeland error but I reimported it in a new project alone and it works. I just changed the parameters and hit the rebuild button. Then I can't use the brush to edit it.

Edit: After testing it for awhile I get random other errors. It seems to be what type of texture and materials and grass mesh I put in. One minute it works and then it gets buggy.

Edit: Actually it makes the error after the 4th block type.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  41. daggada2

daggada2

Hey @Wright , were you able to patch up that issue that @gumbomasta reported regarding the 4+ block types (adding extra texture channels, as you put it)? You had mentioned you were considering an update about a month ago, just wanted to see if you made progress there, or if it's already been handled. Thanks for any info!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  42. Wright

Wright

New version is pending in Unity now. I'll notify when it will be available at Asset Store.

43. friuns3

friuns3

is there way to make path finding on voxel terrain?

44. doublegumbo

doublegumbo

Yeah I would love to know if this has been addressed, too! Been sculpting terrrain, so far so good, but I could use a few more 'textures' to paint with besides four.

45. Anim8

Anim8

Daggada2 and I have been using voxeland with mixed results in our project (FATHOM). More textures wound really be a step in the right direction.

hopeful likes this.
  46. Wright

Wright

That looks really impressive. I'll follow your project.
    Texture quantity was doubled in a version that's pending for Unity review.

doublegumbo likes this.
  47. Radius

Radius

Hi Wright, I bought your tool a few weeks ago now, been using it daily, love it!.. thank you, such a great and fun addition. Only issue I have at the moment is that because I am using it for my VR project I need to hit 90 FPS all the time, I have noticed significant performance drop when using voxeland compared to standard terrain. I know this is to be expected because of all the advanced features but I am wondering if you have any advice on optimization to get it running faster. I've experimented with bake meshes to scene, bake to assets etc. Also tried all of the suggestions in this forum thread before I posted anything, like removing AO and setting chunk size to 15 instead of 30 but nothing seems to make a huge difference. In case there is anything else I could be missing I wanted to check here? Maybe your new export fbx feature will solve this if I can export / optimize and re import, apply a blend material. ok thanks for any ideas.

48. danicrem

danicrem

Wright, is it possible to lower the size of the blocks to less than one unity unit? I need to make small holes. The way I could do it now is to upsize all other objects. But I would prefer just to use smaller Voexland blocks. I understand that it will eat a lot of memory, but I will only use a small and thin piece of generater terrain.
    Can't wait to see the voxeland with unity terain integration!

49. JMH_Arts

JMH_Arts

Hello Wright, i am quite new to unity and have few questions, because i think about buying your amazing product.
    1) If i bake the terrain with the save-function, how does the terrain work in the Engine? Is it a heightmap-approach with additional hole-system? Or will it be an enormous object that happens to be a GB-Eater ?
    2) Water/Fluids are still not planned?
    3) How long may it take (roundabout), until a the new version is reviewed? any experiences?
    4) If i buy your version (now) in the store, am i able to get the updated version too?

I want to use your system for terrain-creation, because it is easy and for an former mine-crafter like me, it is fun to reshape the terrain, build hidden tunnels underground, step by step :)
    And thank you! The demo was fun to play !

50. Wright

Wright

Unity have been accepted new version today, but I have not :) I've found a very unpleasant and non-obvious bug, so most probably I'll submit another version this evening... Sorry guys, sorry Unity for making you test it twice.

Radius, when terrain is fully built it has almost no performance reduction compared to the meshes with same geometry and material (editable terrain update takes about 0.3 ms). Removing AO and decreasing chunk size will just speed up a terrain build process, but not the rendering. Try decreasing Build, Remove and LOD distances in settings.

danicrem, you can scale terrain down to make a block size smaller.

JMH_Arts, technically Voxeland is a bunch of standard meshes that are generated at runtime. Baked Voxeland is just a bunch of meshes. Demo scene meshes take 230 Mb of memory - I cannot call it gb-eater, but I admit that the size is considerable.
    It took 10 days for the current version to be reviewed, therefore expect the fixed one next week. Of course this upgrade and all the other Voxeland upgrades are free.

Here are the things that I do not plan for now:
    - voxel pathfinding
    - integration or blending between Voxeland and standard terrain (don't know if it is ever possible)
    - water and fluids

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015