Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Voxeland - Voxel Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Jun 25, 2013.

1. shwa

shwa

Was running voxeland 2 on unity 4.
    Just updated to the latest Vox, and it says version 3.12.
    However, the voxeland page on the asset store says it's version 4.01.
    Any idea why i can't access 4.01 in unity 4?
    tx.

2. sefou

sefou

Hi,
    for version 4.01 , you must use Unity 5. There is no alternative. ;)

3. Wright

Wright

Right, there is no alternative. Yet.
    The new Voxeland version was initially made for Unity 5, it uses the new features like a standard material. I will consider to port Voxeland to Unity 4 after a bugfix update. But personally I'd like to recommend you to switch to Unity 5 if you do not use a vehicle physics in your project: it is fast, convenient, and project upgrade is automatic and problem-free. I just admire Unity 5!

4. shwa

shwa

Thanks for the info, sefou and Wright.
    I'm in the middle of a large project that's Unity 4 based, so won't go to Unity 5, at least in the short run.
    My guess is there are other developers still working in Unity 4.

Wright, porting to unity 4 would be really great.
    Have you got a rough idea of when you might be able to do this?
    I'm working in 4.2.1 and another project in 4.6.2

* and by the way, the demo in version 3.12 is quite amazing.

Voxeland has some good momentum.
    Good work, Wright.

5. J_Troher

J_Troher

Is there no way to kill the Autogeneration Lag? Like maybe if you broke it down and did it slowly over time, rather than spawning it all in one call? Voxeland's infinite feature would be perfect if it didn't freeze you to generate a new area or two.

6. Jack Ryan Carter

Jack Ryan Carter

Hello,

I have created a terrain, now I wanted to see the preview at play, but no terrain the appear only the error message:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Voxeland.VoxelandTerrain.Display (Boolean isEditor) (at Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/VoxelandTerrain.cs:466)
    Voxeland.VoxelandTerrain.Update () (at Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/VoxelandTerrain.cs:291)

Error importing folder (The pathName assets/voxeland/scripts is already mapped to 8de4f884abfb99042930fb74a9e96d49. But the meta data wants it to be mapped to 94c0c4b9d6e60c242a7eded403c7bce9)

There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/Editor/LayoutTools.cs' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.

There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/Voxeland/Shaders/Constructor.shader' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.

MaterialEditor: Could not create custom UI from the CustomEditor: '' of the shader. Does the class name include its namespace? And does the class either derive from ShaderGUI or MaterialEditor?
    UnityEditor.AssetPreviewUpdater:CreatePreviewForAsset(Object, Object[], String)

and 536 times the same error. I'm using Unity 5. What is the reason?

best regards

Jack Ryan Carter

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  7. Wright

Wright

Seems like an error finding your main camera position. Do you have any camera in scene? Is it active? If it is, then send me your scene (remove everything unnecessary from it) to mail@denispahunov.ru, I'll try to find out the reason.

8. Wright

Wright

New Voxeland version 4.2 is available on Asset Store.

Now it has RTP3 Compatibility and can be shaded by ReliefTerrainPMTriplanarStandalone shader. To make Voxeland work with RTP perform these steps:
    Bugfixes:
    - ambient in forward rendering
    - scaled terrain block highlight positioning
    - scaled/moved terrain area highlight positioning

Changes:
    - block objects (prefabs) now scale with terrain
    - chunks are not shown in hierarchy unless "Debug - Hide chunks" is turned off

Unity4 owners can now download v4.2U4. It is a last Voxeland version ported back to ensure compatibility with good old Unity4. It has two differences from Unity5 version:
    - as it uses legacy shaders materials visual appearance is slightly different, and material parameters are not the same. 4-channel bumped material only is used in this version.
    - it has a different demo scene

9. sefou

sefou

Hello Wright,
    i don't know if erosion brush is in your roadmap ?
    Thanks.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  10. Geels

Geels

The terrains seems to be white with the RTP 3 shader on it though.

11. Wright

Wright

sefou, I don't have a plan to insert erosion brush to Voxeland, but I'm thinking about extending Erosion Brush to make it work with Voxeland. However it's just an idea, I haven't start to implement it.

Geels, please check if you followed the instruction. If you have all the items checked - send me a scene (remove everything unnecessary from it) to mail@denispahunov.ru

12. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi,
    seems terrain generator has problem with tiling borders. I want to generate landscape which will looks like plains with small amount of rocks by making a lot of glens. You can see that on screen shot from top:
    As enchancement: maybe you can provide some kind of presets for different type of landscapes?

Also please take a look on ErosionGenerator.windStrength and GrassGenerator.spreadIterations they seems to be not used inside your code by mistake.

And GlenGenerator.Fallof seems not affect glens shape, so them will have sharp edges anyway.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  13. markefus

markefus

I'm thinking about purchasing this asset, but there are a few questions I have.

-I am looking for a tool that can essentially replace a modeling program (like Zbrush or Mudbox), that I can do within Unity.
    Would you say this is capable of that?

-I want to create HUGE landscape features, such as large mountains. Can I adjust the brush size (or make it hold to generate terrain?
    -Erosion support is essential for me, any immediate future plans to pursue this?
    -Procedural 'painting' of voxels would also be amazing.

I'm currently using default Unity terrain with Terrain toolkit.
    It's gotten me this far with my game, but I am definitely seeing limitations.

14. markefus

markefus

So I gave in and bought this asset...... I almost instantly regretted it.

I was expecting a full voxel editing plugin; instead. I essentially got a glorified in-engine version of Minecraft.

Problems I'm having:
    -Ergonomics of 'sculpting' the terrain are WORSE than default unity terrain. If you want to create any detailed features you have to MASH left click repeatedly. There's not even a hold button... are you kidding me?
    -Only two brush types, sphere and cube
    -Collision seems to turn itself off? Something happened, and my character prefab no longer collides with the Terrain.
    -LOD pop-in is absolutely abysmal, it's even worse in editor. The terrain constantly flickers.
    -Constant graphical artifacts, it looks like there's file corruption.
    -Terrain textures flicker in/out
    -Changing terrain material to standard shader removes all textures
    - No render fog support in default shaders
    -Terrain generation/rendering is ridiculously slow, and I have a very high-end computer.
    -Multi-core rendering does essentially nothing for speedups.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the 'best' on the market, even though it doesn't suit my needs in the slightest.
    It's 'fun' as a concept. I REALLY wanted a good voxel terrain editor, and I really wanted to like this asset.

Would not recommend. I would return it if I could.

15. Wright

Wright

markefus, I can ask Unity for a refund, but first of all I'd like to get some more information on your feedback. It seems that you really stress-tested Voxeland to encounter such a long bug list, or maybe not just figured out some details.

- what are your Voxeland and Unity versions? (I guess 4.2 and 5, but I'd like to be sure in that). Voxeland version is specified in "About" foldout.
    - what happened before a character lost collision with the terrain? Is there any way to reproduce it? Can you still edit the terrain? Terrain editing is done using terrain's collider, so if the terrain could be edited while character cannot collide with it then it is a cause to check such settings like collision layers.
    - can you record a video of a lod and texture flickering? If not, is there any way to reproduce it so I can see it with my eyes to fix it?
    - could you please take a screenshot of the graphical artifacts?
    - speaking of "Changing terrain material to standard shader" - do you mean that you assigned a default standard shader that comes with Unity instead of Voxeland shader? If so, I'm afraid it's not a bug - Voxeland uses the texture blending, so it can properly work with shaders that have blending support (like Voxeland package shaders or RTP). If you mean something else then what shader was exactly assigned?
    - and about fog - do you use deferred lighting? Can you see fog on the objects with standard Unity materials? Unity got some complications with displaying fog in scene view with deferred lighting. Probably it is not related with Voxeland: the web demo uses default shaders and it has fog in it.
    - is terrain generation or rendering much slower then seen in demo? Are you using package shaders? Can you compare your scene with web demo scene?

PS was a multithreading enabled when your character lost collision? As you may notice, there is a description in brackets next to "Multithreaded" parameter name, it says that multithreading is still experimental. It can cause such sort of a bug. As well as flickering on terrain edit.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  16. kadu3d

kadu3d

Please I have a few requests before buying:
    Avoid buildup like in this video

And export to OBJ (without empty chunks)

17. Wright

Wright

Guys from Subnautica made a great work. They took one of the early voxeland versions and made a lot of refactoring. I'm not even sure that there is something left from the original voxeland. So do not expect the plugin to be like it is shown in video. BTW I guess continuous stroke is made by turning collision update off, that's an interesting workaround. I will try to make it work in the original Voxeland.

Under the "buildup" - do you mean a lag during the brush stroke?

Unfortunately, OBJ format does not support vertex color information, which is vital for terrain texturing. You can make Voxeland export terrain to obj, but you will loose all of the terrain painting information. But if you do not plan to edit your terrain you can export it to unity .asset files, which will store all terrain information with texturing and ambient occlusion.

18. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hello, Wright!
    What about my earlier report? Is that possible to do something with that?

19. Wright

Wright

Any of Voxeland areas knows nothing about the other areas. Neighbor area does not have an information about glens in current one, so if the glen affects neighbor area these two areas will not weld with each other. That's why all of the glens should not cross an area border.
    So making a lot of large-sized glens is not a correct approach to create plains. The right way to do it is to set the noise generator type to grass and decrease noise value and size. However, in this case, it is possible to lose rare rocks you want to create.
    Alternatively, you can increase area size, and make glen size smaller. This will not remove seams, but will make them less noticeble.
    And besides, you can wait for the terrain generator plugin I'm currently working on. It will work both with standard and voxeland terrains. I plan to include many of it's features in Voxeland generator, so you don't have to buy anything extra. "Adjusting height with curve" will be the one of those features.

20. stepsintofuture

stepsintofuture

I am sorry, my englisch is not good enough...but german

21. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Thanks for answer. Will wait for that generator.

22. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

Can you procedurally create terrains with different biomes (and textures)? I need a system to randomly generate alien worlds (based on a reusable seed). In those worlds I want to be able to change various things so they look unique. Is there a way to do this with this tool?

23. Wright

Wright

The terrain you create always use the same settings, no matter where area is located. Unfortunately Voxeland has no biomes support.

24. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Wright, any plans to make voxels retopology more smooth, to reduce visual "stairs" effect on sloping surfaces?
    And another question, related to terratin generator segmentation - after I did all you recommended to generate plains landscape all looks good except grass which has wide emty stripes on edges of areas. Any ideas or work arounds?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  25. danicrem

danicrem

Hello,
    I have some questions, because I think of buying this asset:
    -Is it possible to reduce the block size? I make a game where I use a smal shovel for small holes and a big one for bigger holes. But all holes should be a lot smaller than the hole in the demo.
    -Is it also possible to have a relativly flat ground (no mountains, only shallow hills)?
    -Is it possible to have areas that do not respond to digging, and set a limit to the digging debth?
    -Is it possible to use this asset in my team, or do I need a separate license for my team members?

Daniel

26. Wright

Wright

mm_ASH, Voxeland terrain data does not support smoothing. It is made of blocks, just like raster image is made of pixels. You cannot make gradients and fill one pixel for 1/3 and the adjacent for 2/3. The same is in Voxeland: there is no sub-block blocks.
    Regarding the second question: did you make this:
    or this?
    danicrem, you can scale Voxeland object down to make block structure smaller, but it will increase voxel data and triangle count, and reduce performance. I think that the minimum sane scale for Voxeland object should be somewhat around 0.5 (this will create 0.5-unit holes in diameter).
    It is possible to make hills instead of mountains by lowering generator noise value (or by creating a lots of small glens, but I'd prefer the first method).
    To prevent some block coordinates from digging you will have to use your own digging controller - just take one from the demo and add coordinate check in it.
    Theoretically, all of the editor extensions require one license per seat. It's not my policy, but Unity's. No matter what editor asset do you buy - Voxeland, or RTP, or TerrainCompositor you have to buy them for all team members who work with Unity. I don't know how it is complied in practice thought :)

27. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

I`ve replaced block type for noise layer to make it grass as you said. But on that screenshot you can see that grass bushed geometry which is generated on top of blocks is also affected by bounds of generator areas.

As for smoothing I understand how it works but other engines which use marching cubes can smooth landscape and subnautica`s vexeland versions looks like doing that eather. So maybe it could be done as postprocessing of mesh or in some other way? Same problem was in 7 Days to Die game and after some update they made it smoothed somehow.

28. awardell

awardell

Say I have a 3D array generated that I want to turn into a terrain:

1.) Is the best way to do so with Data.LoadFromByteList ?

2.) If yes, then how should my 3d array be flattened into the byte list?

3.) how do I make sure the terrain is the correct size and proportions to display my all of data and only my data?

Thanks!

29. Wright

Wright

mm_ASH, please send me this scene with a Voxeland object (no other objects or textures) - I'll try to find out what's wrong. Regarding smoothness: adding one relax iteration maybe will make block structure almost smooth, but I haven't played with it yet.

awardell, data saved in byte list uses a compression algorithms, it cannot be modified. Use Data.SetBlock function per-block instead. It gets an area and sets block in a column, so it is relatively fast (compared to Voxeland.SetBlock which makes terrain update). Just iterate through all blocks in your array, and then perform rebuild.
    You can set the exact size oа a limited terrain in settings. If you want to check if your 3d array dimensions are equal to limited terrain size via scripts use Data.areaSize (it will return square area side length in blocks).

30. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

unfortunatly i can`t send this scene as it was cunstructed from code, so there is no such scene =) But you can just try to generate big flat area with grass bushes on top to see this problem. One more relaxing layer sounds promising, looking forward to get it :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  31. Wright

Wright

mm_ASH, I could reproduce that bug. I will sort it out.

32. cidmodder

cidmodder

Quick question before buying. Is it possible to put a terrain with building models made in 3dsmax or something similar into unity and use your extension to generate terrain around it, or fill in terrain between 2 different created terrain pieces?

33. Wright

Wright

Recently one of Voxeland for Unity4 users encountered a bug with BumpSpec shader: 'D3D shader assembly failed'. Pre-4 version worked without any problems. If somebody else got this error - please email me your hardware specs (mail@denispahunov.ru). And here is a quick fix: it is pre-4 shader that was modified to work with Voxeland 4.2U4

cidmodder, Voxeland terrain cannot be blended with standard Unity terrains or modeled terrains, and it's terrain generator does not support mixing with standard terrain or model. So it is improper tool for filling terrain gaps or generating terrain around modeled one.

34. Sarudan

Sarudan

Hi, we've just purchased Voxel Land and it won't function correctly in Unity 5.1 due to a number of errors that keep getting spammed, primarily the following (as well as causing editor crashes):

Failed getting triangles. Submesh topology is lines or points.
    UnityEngine.Mesh:get_triangles()
    Voxeland.Chunk:ApplyAmbientToGrass() (at Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/Main/Chunk.cs:1952)
    Voxeland.Chunk:process() (at Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/Main/Chunk.cs:94)
    Voxeland.VoxelandTerrain:Display(Boolean) (at Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/VoxelandTerrain.cs:679)
    Voxeland.VoxelandTerrain:EditorUpdate() (at Assets/Voxeland/Scripts/VoxelandTerrain.cs:334)

Do you have a fix for this yet? It's useless to us in this state.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  35. shwa

shwa

Hi,

** it is pre-4 shader that was modified to work with Voxeland 4.2U4**

: How do we implement the fix above, for unity 4 users?
    __
    Couple of Red flag errors trying Voxel 4 in Unity 4.6.2.:

1. CheckConsistency: Transform child can't be loaded
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

2. Shader error in 'Voxeland/BumpSpec': Too many interpolators used (maybe you want #pragma glsl?) at line 216
    ______
    Would be great to get a fix for these, soon.

As well, does Voxeland 4 for unity 4 now work without stalling?
    Meaning: in voxeland 3, when i move in the terrain, there's a regular abrupt stop, then things resume.

thanks,
    shwa

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  36. shwa

shwa

In Voxeland 3. - Two different voxeland terrains in one project?

Is it possible to have two different voxeland terrains in one project. (With different characteristics)
    Terrain 1 in one scene, and Terrain 2 in another scene?
    If yes, how do i make sure data of terrain 1 doesn't overwrite the data for terrain 2?

What is the name of the data folder used by a voxeland terrain?

Is there somewhere i can name the data folder, so i can have two different data folders in one project?

thanks!

37. Wright

Wright

shwa, to use TerrainBump4Triplanar shader with Voxeland 4 just copy it anywhere to Assets folder and assign it in terrain material. You can remove BumpSpec to get rid of error.

Both Voxeland 3 and 4 save terrain data in scene by default. You can have multiple terrains in one scene, and each will have it's own data.
    Alternatively you can save your Voxeland data to an .asset file (Settings - Data: Save button). Obviously both of your terrains should have separate asset files.

Wumpee, I've submitted a special version for Unity 5.1, it will be available right after Unity review. Thanks for your report.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    Sarudan likes this.
  38. Sarudan

Sarudan

[QUOTE="
    Wumpee, I've submitted a special version for Unity 5.1, it will be available right after Unity review. Thanks for report.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

Also, do you have any information on how to use the RTP shaders correctly with Voxel Land? And is there a way to paint textures without causing deformations?

39. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Code (CSharp):
    1.                     #region Setting grass
    2.                     if (selected<0)
    3.                     {
    4.                         if (add || replace) SetGrass(aimData.x, aimData.z,(byte)(-selected),brushSize,brushSphere);
    5.                         else if (dig) SetGrass(aimData.x, aimData.z, 0, brushSize,brushSphere);
    6.                     }
    7.                     #endregion
    must be
    if (selected>0)?

40. Wright

Wright

Wumpee, Voxeland works with RTP's ReliefTerrainPMTriplanarStandalone shader. You just have to modify it a bit (comment out one line - see doc "Working with RTP" section for quick instructions).

To change block type without digging or adding use Crtl-Shift-click.

mm_ASH, whats wrong with this code? Can you set a grass when a grass type is selected?

"Selected" is an int variable, it stores currently selected block type. The value of 0 is an empty (air) block, positive values are terrain types, negative values are grass types. That's why it is converted to data grass type byte as (-selected).

If you have a problem setting grass - please make sure that your current land type supports grass by checking "Grass" toggle in block type properties.

41. Sarudan

Sarudan

Thanks, I've tried that but verticals are all stretched - there could be something I'm doing wrong, but I don't know what.

A more important concern for us is how to get an unlimited terrain converted to a fixed / limited size terrain so that we can bake it to a mesh and optimise it. We're going to use VoxelLand as a fast sculpting tool for key areas in our game rather than using it as a real time voxel solution.

42. tswhitfield

tswhitfield

Wright,
    I have tried the leading 3 voxel terrain engines and yours is the only that comes close to my needs. Since you have done such a wonderful job making the engine where it removes and adds terrain based on the position of the camera in order to allow for very large terrains, I was wondering if you had put any thought into the other objects which might exist on the terrain. Suppose I want to put a building on a paticular part of the terrain. There should be a way to serialize this object with the terrain so that when the terrain below the building loads, the building also loads. I am not opposed to rolling my own solution for this, but if anyone here has already thought about that I would love to hear your perspective solutions.

I am also interested in whether the community believes this functionality would best be served as part of the terrain engine or embedded to a separate scene object.

43. yoziva

yoziva

Hello,

Thanks for your library.

I have two questions :

1) I wonder if you plan or have any idea on how to improve performances when modifying the terrain. I'm modifying the terrain not only at edition time but also in real time. Updating the terrain usually cost around 16ms on my computer, and I'm usually doing small modifications resulting in only one chuck update per frame. But it still cost too much to make it work for a game where the terrain need to be constantly modified.

2) Did you think of a way to make terrain modifications not discrete (terrain/no terrain) but continuous, like a value between [0,1]. When modifying the terrain it feels weird to remove a full block.

Thanks!

44. Wright

Wright

Wumpee, could you please take a screenshot of stretched verticals?
    You can turn unlimited terrain off by enabling "Limited terrain" in settings.

tswhitfield, unity prefabs could be set as a block types, in this case objects will appear and will be removed along with terrain. As you could notice, the trees in demo are objects with their own meshes (i.e. not part of terrain), and they act exactly the way described.

yoziva, there are two main things that require heavy calculations on terrain change:
    - re-creating collision mesh
    - ambient occlusion calculations
    While ambient occlusion could be simply switched off in settings, collision is a real ambush. Re-calculating collision mesh is an internal Unity (or physX) function, and, as far as I know, there is no way to speed it up. But, as your terrain modifications are not vast, I can recommend you decreasing chunk size (Settings - Chunk Size) to 20 or even 15.

I do not have plans for non-boolean block types: not only all of the Voxeland logic should be rewritten to do that, but the amount of data will be greatly increased.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  45. livio3d

livio3d

Hi Wright,
    i try to adapt my shader done with shaderforge on voxeland terraind, and is work fine, the main problem now is how i blend my texture for terrain (grass, sand, dirt) , is there a way for use vertexcolor for define blocks or readeable splatmaps?

46. Wright

Wright

Sure. You can use either uv+uv2 - since most shaders are triplanar and do not require texture coordinates, or turn on RTP compatibility in settings and use vertex colors.

47. livio3d

livio3d

ok , there is a problem, if i set rtp compatibility on terrain material change automatically to voxeland/standard every rebuild , i have to reset by hand every time but work

48. livio3d

livio3d

hi Wright, i have another question , is possible to spawn Object on up-free voxel like grass or tree via script?
    I need to make a custom Tree Generator for cut-able trees and i need to spawn another tree on random voxel if trees number go under some value .

49. cochtl

cochtl

It's been a while but, is there any way to basically turn off the collision generated by a voxeland object? It seems like unchecking the physics layers don't do anything : /

50. Sarudan

Sarudan

I tried this earlier today, and it ended up cropping the edges of the cave system one of the designers had put together, so there must be a bug somewhere.