Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VITA TV support?

Discussion in 'PSM' started by FranckS, Aug 29, 2014.

1. FranckS

FranckS

I'm looking for a way to output hdmi to a large screen when teaching to my class. For various reasons, I want to show the real thing running, not the PC preview.
    My school is a SCEE VITA academic partner and as such we also have a VITA Dev Kit, which has an HDMI port. I was not able to retreive and run PSM dev assistant on the kit, do you know if that's feasible?

Another, and probably easier solution for me would be to hook up one of the upcoming VITA TV, which obviously has HDMI out. Will it be supported by Unity PSM?

2. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Unity PSM published games do support Vita TV (if you ticked the vita tv support box when publishing).
    As for Vita Tv running dev app i do not know, i presume so but cannot say for certain.
    I'd presume the Dev Kit would have also run the Dev App, but also cannot say for certain.

You could always point a webcam at the vita, which displays on the large screen, so you get your hands pressing and interacting with the vita whilst its playing the app/game. If it was a game like tearaway which involves a lot of front and back touch screen interactivity it would be ideal.

3. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

No, it's not possible to run the DevAssistant on a DevKit. The DevAssistant can only run on retail PS Vitas.

Unity PSM in itself supports PS Vita TV, as in, it's possible to publish games that run on PS Vita TV. As mentioned earlier, you need to make sure to click the "Vita TV support" checkbox.
    But it's currently not possible to use a PS Vita TV during development - i.e. launch content from the Unity editor.
    The primary reason why this is not possible is simply the lack of USB connection on the PS Vita TV - there is no way to connect it to your development PC.

4. mbowen89

mbowen89

So basically you just have to hope that since it works fine on the Vita it will work fine on the Vita TV? And that your controls are all working correctly in editor?

It seems like it's kind of a long shot you won't end up with some bugs once it's released for Vita TV and you can test it then...

5. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Well i'm guessing the analogue stick coding is same as ps vita, as for the other buttons its also the exact same code input (Vita tv uses ps3/4 controller).
    As long as you can play your game and navigate around menus without needing back or front touch screen then your good to go ;)

Edit: on Sony Dev forums they said:

6. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Actually - by checking the regular PSM forums (which really has a lot of useful information - also relevant for Unity for PSM - I recommend checking it out) I found out that content can be shared using the memory card.

I just tried this myself, and it works fine. The steps I took:
    1. Make sure the PS Vita and the PS Vita TV are both using the same SEN ID.
    2. Using the DevAssistant I installed a simple test app on the PS Vita (handheld) unit.
    3. After turning off both devices, I swapped the memory card in the PS Vita TV with the one used in the PS Vita.
    4. After booting up the PS Vita TV I could now launch the DevAssistant and run the content on the TV.
    The thread in the PSM Forums : http://community.eu.playstation.com...dio/How-to-test-on-Vita-TV/m-p/21863271#M2387

Hope that helps.

7. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Well darn, thats easy enough. Much better than actually having to build onto the Vita TV itself, as would require two memory cards etc etc. :)

8. FranckS

FranckS

Awesome, thanks for the info eriQue :)

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

What if someone doesn't have a normal PS Vita system? is development with only a PlayStation TV impossible? can packages be transferred with WIFI?

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's practically impossible to develop for console without owning the console or a dev kit. Importantly, you shouldn't try. What you see in the editor is not in any way guaranteed to run on device. You need the device. No two ways about it.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

well than, I'll have to wait for the PlayStation TV release because there seems to be no way to develop for it directly without a normal Vita.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's for the best. Can't guarantee a product you have to guess for.

13. decimalator

decimalator

I think the question was can you target JUST PlayStation TV without having a Vita.

I just picked up a PS TV on sale for development, and you seem to have two options. You can push the package to Vita via the development assistant and then transfer the memory card, or you can have a memory card just for the PS TV and connect directly to the PS TV. So yes, it is possible to develop just for PS TV without having a Vita.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep, still need a device though. Be it PSTV or Vita or whatever... :)