Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Studio debugging for Unity is finally here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kersk, Aug 24, 2012.

1. mgear

mgear

You can also put the file to your Standard Packages-folder, then its easy to import any time.

2. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I had no clue you could do that, thought standard packages was a built in thing you couldn't touch, will have a look sounds good (would still like the package to be on asset store for easy updates however, but good to know)

3. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

UnityVS's installer does try to put its Unity package in the Standard Assets so you can import it for an existing project, or at project creation time.

See:

Or:

That being said, our installer can be confused if you have more than one Unity installed.

It's quite easy actually, you just need to put the package to your the \Editor\Standard Packages folder of your Unity install directory. The annoying thing is that you'll get removed whenever you update Unity.

4. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Would be nice if unity supported some kinda plugins asset type that could be auto included with all projects. When you buy something like unityvs you want it in all projects anyway

5. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

The only issue I have at the moment is that every time I open the VS_Name_Solution in VisualStudio2010 I need to add the Unity Editor and Unity Engine Dlls references to the project (I also add the mono dlls). But that could be me not knowing hot to maybe setup VisualStudio2010 to do that always/automatically?

6. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Oh yeah, global packages would be great to have.

7. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

I'm not sure what's going on here. We do create references to UnityEngine and UnityEditor to all UnityVS project. Mind getting in touch with my username at syntaxtree.com to figure it out?

8. jashan

jashan

I just did some measurements. Things got slow when I added PlayMaker and NGUI to my project. PlayMaker adds a massive amount of classes, many of them in rather big folders, so I guess that's the difficult test case. To make things simple, I've created a test project with only PlayMaker and NGUI. So that gives us a project with 808 classes altogether (funny number, too ;-) ). I don't think lines of code are relevant ... but, since I already have those figures: It's 4350 in the "editor" project and 17800 lines of code in the main project. This solution only has two projects with NGUI and Playmaker included (because neither of those put anything into the plugins folder ;-) ).

My actual project also has a few UnityScript and Boo classes, but I guess the results are comparable, and it's easy enough to get PlayMaker + NGUI for a testcase which is easy to compare. The "several minutes" I talked about in a previous posting was really subjective - it's really half a minute (also for my project).

So here's the results on my machine, with the simple "PlayMaker + NGUI" project:

Opening solutions in Visual Studio:

Opening Unity Solution: About 4 seconds until I can work in the solution

Opening UnityVS Solution: About 28 seconds … the Solution Explorer comes up quickly - but the Unity Project Explorer takes long, and Visual Studio becomes unresponsive … basically, I can't do anything in Visual Studio for about half a minute

Switching between the different sortings in the Unity project explorer: About 9 seconds

Changing solution in Unity:

Unity Solution: Clicking "Reload All" until I can continue working: about 5 seconds
    UnityVS Solution: Clicking "Reload All" until I can continue working: about 25 seconds

This is on Windows 8 x64, using Visual Studio Ultimate 2012. This virtual machine (running on 2007 Mac Pro) has:

Windows Experience Index:
    Processor 5.8, Memory 5.5, Graphics 8.1, Gaming Graphics 8.1, Primay HD 7.4

9. jashan

jashan

I guess this only works when Unity and Visual Studio are both running on Windows, right? So what I'm usually doing is to add a reference path in project properties that looks like this: F:\Unity3.5.7\Unity3.5.7.app\Contents\Frameworks\Managed\ - with F: being mapped to the applications folder on my Mac (the version number - 3.5.7 - usually isn't there, but I have several versions of Unity installed, that's why each one has that version number ... so, if you just have one Unity, that would be something like: F:\Unity\Unity.app\Contents\Frameworks\Managed\)

10. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Very interesting. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this.

I'll create a repro project with PlayMaker and NGUI and profile what's going wrong.

11. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

In the remote scenario case (which is still a unsupported preview feature), we need to have access to Unity, as documented here:

http://unityvs.com/documentation/remote-debugging/

You need to setup a shared folder for Unity, and configure it in UnityVS, and obviously, another shared folder for your projects.

12. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Hi, yes will do thanks

13. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Will try, I thought that is what I was doing with adding Reference to project but maybe the way I was doing it is not permanent

14. jashan

jashan

Ah, thanks! I was actually wondering what that "Remote Configuration" thing is about in Unity but didn't find it in the documentation. As I didn't need debugging, yet, I hadn't looked into that part of the documentation, though ;-)

Speaking of documentation: One thing I would find very useful is the scripting wizards (just a few days ago I once again was a little annoyed that these are not simply overridable methods to make Intellisense more useful) ... but currently, that page of the documentation is empty: http://unityvs.com/documentation/wizards/

15. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

16. jashan

jashan

It did look different for me - I only had "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" and no further comment (in particular, I had no "Break" option, just "OK"). But maybe you've set your Visual Studio up differently from I have mine set up.

Did this happen to you while saving a file? Then it would be the same one almost for sure.

I wasn't debugging or anything while that happened - but I did have a connection between Unity and Visual Studio.

17. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Mine is just the standard exception dialog that happens for exceptions thrown by user code while debugging code :) Just checking.

Interestingly enough, all users that reported that particular issue were using PlayMaker. I guess I'll bite the bullet and buy it to investigate.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  18. jashan

jashan

It tried this now - but it's not working for me. UnityVS inside the Unity editor keeps on telling me:

But that path is correct. The full path is:

Code (csharp):
    1. F:\Unity3.5.7\Unity3.5.7.app
    I can copy that path into the Explorer on the Windows side, and it's just fine. It's my path to the Unity app, below that there's "Content" etc.

Not sure, maybe UnityVS is choking on the dots in the file name (Unity3.5.7.app) ... but if that's the issue, it really shouldn't. I have set that path (well, actually the full path to Managed) manually in the projects of the solution, and compilation works just fine.

19. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

It's an oversight on our side. We check that the shared app is named "Unity.app".

Which is why the remote scenario is still a preview feature :)

This will be fixed in 1.0.14.

20. jashan

jashan

Ok, great ... btw, I've removed PlayMaker and NGUI from my project (I only need those in the project when working on the NGUI and PlayMaker extensions), and performance seems much better (well, it's much less files now ;-) ) ... and I also haven't seen the NullReferenceException, yet. So maybe that also has to do with the massive amount of classes that PlayMaker adds ;-)

21. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

oh ok, excellent

22. jashan

jashan

Great ... so eventually, the preview feature will become a solid core feature ... it just takes time and patience, people reporting bugs, and people fixing them ;-)

Btw, should I file a bug report on this one (it's a warning I'm getting when compiling the UnityVS-solution in Visual Studio ... I'm not getting these warnings with the solution that Unity creates ... it's not a biggie for me, just a little bit annoying because it spams the warning / error log):

23. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

That's usually how it goes, yeah :)

Yes, please.

A way to reproduce it would be nice too, as I don't get those. Do you have .dll in your Asset folders? Have they been compiled for x64 processors?

24. jashan

jashan

Ah ... good point ... this might have to do with log4net and/or NLog ... I'll look into that tomorrow and file a bug report with all the information I can gather.

25. jashan

jashan

Regarding the warning (mismatch of the processor architecture): I can easily reproduce this on a super-simple project with just on C# file in it (and the UnityVS DLLs, of course). So, I've done some further investigation on this, and probably I found the issue:

Here's the full path of the mscorlib in all of the projects that UnityVS has created:
    C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll

... so the problem is probably that it's using the one from GAC_64. Interestingly, the projects that Unity creates don't even include mscorlib.dll at all. And the Unity solution does compile just fine (without any weird warnings). However, when I delete the reference to mscorlib.dll in the projects that UnityVS creates, I do get errors "Predefined type 'System.Object' is not defined or imported."

Did you test UnityVS using the x64 version of Windows 8? That's what I'm using in my virtual machine. But it might also be because I'm creating the solution on the Mac side, and the Mac doesn't know much about what's going on on the Windows side of things (I know I know - experimental feature ;-) ). For the sake of completeness, here's all the paths:

C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll
    C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Core.dll
    C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.XML\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.XML.dll

... from manually added references:
    F:\Unity3.5.7\Unity3.5.7.app\Contents\Frameworks\Managed\UnityEditor.dll
    F:\Unity3.5.7\Unity3.5.7.app\Contents\Frameworks\Managed\UnityEngine.dll

And the same Unity project, using Unity's solution ("Sync MonoDevelop Project"):
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Core.dll
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Xml.dll

... and the same locations for UnityEngine.dll and UnityEditor.dll (also coming through manually added reference paths). The Unity forum software seems to add some random blank spaces - those are not really there (I even manually retyped those paths ;-) ).

EDIT: I've added a bug entry:
    UVS-47: Compiling gives warnings: There was a mismatch between the processor architecture ...

Today, I also ran into the "NullReference-issue" once again (and I no longer have PlayMaker or NGUI included in my project): Once again [EDIT: Actually, it happened about 4 times today], I'm getting "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." popups from Visual Studio. This time, I'm getting them "all over the place": I can't do builds, I can't save files (this is the same behavior as usual - Visual Studio seems to recognize that the file changed). I can't even exit Visual Studio. Whatever I do, I get this popup. I tried debugging with another instance of Visual Studio - but even though I have activated "Break when an exception is: System.NullReferenceException", I can't step into the issue.

I'm still not perfectly sure this is a problem with UnityVS or with Visual Studio. Personally, I've never seen it in Visual Studio but I haven't used Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate a lot without UnityVS, so it may be I just "missed" it (not that I'd really miss it ;-) ). There's one somewhat related entry on Microsoft connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/Visua...63961/cannot-open-property-pages-for-solution

I'll post my story there as well - obviously, no matter what any plugin does, Visual Studio should not get into a state where you can't even close it anymore.

So, anyways ... I killed Visual Studio using the Task Manager :-/ And this still happens very randomly: I've spent quite a few hours working now without running into the issue at all. Oh, and this time it definitely happened without the connection to Unity ... because:

Yet another issue: Since I've moved over to my new iMac, I can't create a connection between Visual Studio and Unity at all. The Unity icon is greyed out (as usual before establishing the connection), and when I click it, nothing happens. I've tried everything from rebooting to pinging the Mac side (which works fine) to switching off the Windows Firewall. One noteworthy change might be that the iMac is running on Mountain Lion (crappy OS, btw, Apple is really going down). Previously, I was on Lion (and I think Snow Leopard really was the last time that upgrading was actually improving things).

The annoying thing with UnityVS, though, is that I'm not getting any error message, no feedback ... nothing. Just when I click that icon, nothing happens. So, it could even be that for some reason that button's broken and it just doesn't recognize that I'm clicking it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  26. Michael-Ryan

Michael-Ryan

I just started using UnityVS, and was originally trying to connect remotely from VS in Parallels to Unity in Mac. My experience seems similar to yours. I was never able to make any type of connection, although I'm pretty sure the "Select Unity Instance" box appeared ... unfortunately, it was always empty. I assumed that I configured something incorrectly, but couldn't figure out what it was. Since then, I've resorted to running Unity inside Parallels as well. Not ideal.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  27. begray

begray

Michael,

Looks like UnityVS method of discovery Unity Editors doesn't work in 'Shared Network' and 'Host-only Network' configurations of Parallels VM.
    But 'Bridged' works for me just fine.

So if you're running Unity Editor on Mac and VS + UnityVS in Parallels VM with Windows, make sure that:

- Standalone for PC, Mac or Linux is selected as your target platform in Unity Editor (checkout UnityVS documentation for details)
    - Your Windows VM has network adapter in 'Bridged' mode

28. Infrid

Infrid

I can't get this to work..
    I'm running parallels with a bridged network adapter.
    no firewall
    no ip conflicts.
    I'm running unity for pc/mac standalone.
    The select unity instance window is always blank. Im desperate to get this going...

any ideas?

29. Kabbs

Kabbs

Does player debugging on an android tablet work with UnityVS?

30. littlelingo

littlelingo

I am seeing a very similar issue w/ parallels 8 with UnityVS 1.2.1 This seemed to work fine with an earlier version of UnityVS in NAT but now, I have to get to Bridged Mode to even see the Editor and even then cannot debug. I REALLY REALLY wish they would get NAT back and working. :-(

31. flyfisher1952

flyfisher1952

I used it for about a month and a half and found that it's debugging in C# didn't work quite as well as MonoDevelop. It has some bugs that cause Unity to freeze (requiring you to kill the process and then restart) if you don't do things in the right order. The one that 'bugged' me the most was stopping debugging in VS when you were at a break point. Unity would freeze and never come back and VS would hang for awhile then ask if you wanted to force quitting debugging. I had some license issues. I was sent a license that UnityVS wouldn't accept and never had a good resolution to the issue through their service. So I finally gave up, and uninstalled UnityVS. Now I use VS to edit (the [PROJECT]-Csharp.sln file created by Unity is intended for use with VS) so I have access to Resharper and my other plugins. Then I use MonoDevelop to debug. Works great, and doesn't cost anything more.

CLARIFICATION: We purchased 2 personal licenses since we are only 4 windows developers and only 2 were going to use the product. Our company is mainly hardware manufacturing. It was our misunderstanding, we thought that it was the number of users of the software, rather than the number of employees in the company as a whole that determined which license we needed. The EULA states this (who actually reads those things anyway). The support person we dealt with (JB Evain) accused us of cheating on the price and refused to resolve the license issue. So we asked for a refund and uninstalled the product since we didn't think UnityVS was that good anyway and certainly not worth $300. It was a misunderstanding on our part, but was handled in a rude, confrontational and shortsighted manner by JB. He now has this caustic post about his product for everyone to see when a little finesse would have avoided it. Instead he accused us of cheating from the outset. I suspect that he'll lose more than $400 in sales because he assumed we were dishonest and stupid.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  32. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Wow, suddenly, drama. Hey Mike,

Jb here from the UnityVS team. Many thanks for the added clarification.

Indeed, your company purchased 2 UnityVS Personal licenses to be used in a company listed in Linkedin with between 51 and 200 employees. Our web site is pretty clear (http://unityvs.com/pricing), if your company has more than 4 employees, you need to get the UnityVS Pro license. When I told that to the people who bought the licenses, the answer was along the line of “we're not going to pay the Pro price, but we might get two more Personal licenses”. Which is not acceptable for us, and is indeed, cheating the system. After that we simply revoked and entirely refunded your licenses.

Only to wake up to those comments that you took the time to duplicate here and on the VS gallery, that are mixing technical problems (that were not reported), our “lack of support” (we are actually very proud of all the comments on this thread alone from customers that are praising our support), and now blaming me personally. I find it funny that you complain about a lack of “finesse” :)

That being said, I'm happy that you found a setup that works for you with MonoDevelop. As a former member of the Mono team I could not be more happier. And as a member of the UnityVS team, I'll go back to improve UnityVS and support our customers :)

33. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

As another happy customer and a very small (1 man) company, i just wanted to say i'd be happy even if i had paid the pro price :)

34. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Hey,

Yeah, Remote debugging has always been a bit fragile. It's a preview feature after all. We're about to publish 1.2.2 which will fix an annoying freeze in the debugger related to exception handling (the Unity scripting engine is giving us erroneous data for a stack frame).

For 1.2.3 we'll work on fixing the Unity Editor detection. And if all else fails, we'll add a way for you to input the IP and the port used by the Unity debugger interface. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you want a custom build to try it before the release.

35. Metron

Metron

Another very happy customer here. Spoke shortly with the developers at GDC and they were really nice guys.

As for the Unity freezing: Never change a source code while in Play mode... that is a sure freeze for me and has nothing to do with UnityVS.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to conditional breakpoints when Unity decides to finally throw in a more current Mono version :)

36. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Hey Metron,

Thanks!

Just wanted to note that we found how to implement conditional breakpoints with the current version of Mono. It requires improving our expression parser and after that, we should be good to go!

Jb

37. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

jbevain,
    A few losely related questions:
    - Do you do custom consulting .net work? If so at what rates?
    - What did you work on on the mono team?
    I'm currently looking at getting some .net help (not game related) from someone very experienced with core .net features.
    Feel free to answer by email if you feel it's better than in this thread! :)

38. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Hey Ronan,

We've been doing some consulting work to bootstrap the development of UnityVS. You can contact me at my nickname at syntaxtree.com to talk.

There's a good recap of the work I did in the Mono team on my linkedin profile.

But yeah, let's continue offline :)

39. Dabeh

Dabeh

For a second there I started to rethink buying UnityVS with flyfisher, but I think the $100 gamble and the huge amount of praise outweighs his "experience". Looking forward to trying it out and will be purchasing it sometime in the next few days to come.

40. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

41. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    not sure if I just haven't seen it. But is there an possibility to buy another subscription for new updates after one year or some sort of upgrade. Or you just must buy new UnityVS. After one year.

Thanks
    Peter

42. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Hi Peter,

Sure, after your first year you'll be able to buy another subscription for updates and support. The price will be around of what you pay originally.

43. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

We just pushed a new bug fix release: UnityVS 1.2.2.

Thanks to everyone here who helped for this release!

44. RalphTrickey

RalphTrickey

Thanks! Awesome product, keep up the good work.

45. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Hey guys,

A small update. Thanks to the awesome Unity 4.2 release, we're now able to implement a fix for an outstanding issue in UnityVS: the fact that you could not open console items at the proper line in Visual Studio without working around the issue.

All details are there: Script opening with Unity 4.2

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  46. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Another small update, but I bet you're going to love this one.

We've always sent private trials to whoever wanted, but we finally managed to setup the public trial.

If you want to give UnityVS a try, just fill in the form on the UnityVS Trial request page, and you'll be in Visual Studio, debugging your game in no time.

47. GXMark

GXMark

I'm in the process of trying to debug my DLL project with great difficulty through UnityVS. Now its probably something very basic im not doing but was wondering if anyone can give me the pointer to what i'm doing wrong.

My system is Windows 7, Unity 4.2.x, Visual Studio 2012. Installed the Unity VS package in unity, trial license, and opened in VS2012 correctly.

I read the UnityVS Debugging a DLL web page and it said

Deploy the DLL and the PDB in the Assets folder
    We suggest you modify your DLL project to add a MSBuild post build task to copy the DLL to your Unity folder. To be able to debug the DLL, the debugger also needs debugging symbols, mapping code locations to source files. When you create a DLL with Visual Studio, it outputs the debugging symbols in a PDB file. For UnityVS to be able to debug your DLL, you must copy the PDB file along. The UnityVS package will use the information from the DLL and the PDB to create a .DLL.MDB file that is the debug symbol format used by Unity's scripting engine.

To make sure that debug symbols are always in sync with the DLL files, we suggest you delete the DLL, the PDB and the DLL.MDB file before copying new files over.

1. That i have to copied my DLL and PDB file into the same place under Unity project folder. My DLL works fine so i guess copying the PDB file into the same place as the DLL is fine to.

2. How does UnityVS generate .DLL.MDB file (when and where?)

3. So i set a breakpoint on one of the DLL methods but it does not step in. Why is that?

4. If i set a break point on a c# file from the unity project folder that breaks in fine, just stepping into DLL C# Managed Code don't work.

Other than a nicer environment to code in for my projects, the debugging (and into DLLs) attracts me to this product. But i can't get it working.

Please support some help can't be the only person trying to do this???

48. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Hey GXMark,

1) You're right that you need to have the .dll and its matching .pdb in the same folder
    2) UnityVS uses an asset post processor to generate the .dll.mdb from both the .dll and the .pdb. If you delete all three files, and copy the .dll and the .pdb at the same time in the Assets folder, and the .dll.mdb is not generated, then here lies your issue.

The asset post processor creates a new process to some internal tool to create the .dll.mdb, so some antivirus may prevent it. You can try to disable your antivirus before copying the .dll and .pdb, and see if it works.

3) To put a breakpoint in the C# or one of your .dll, you need to add the csproj to the UnityVS solution. When that is done, you can put a breakpoint in your C# code in the VS instance with the UnityVS opened solution.

49. Roland1234

Roland1234

@jbevain
    YOU WERE THE CAUSE OF THE WHITE PIXEL?!?
    Now that it's gone I kinda miss it...
    You should add an option to bring it back!

I'm curious to know what in the world was happening that would result in a single white pixel mysteriously appearing/disappearing in Visual Studio - could you clue me in?

50. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Ahaha, yes :) We first learned about it there: https://twitter.com/UnityVS/status/369502107113500672

Oh my we're sorry about this one. It was basically part of a thing we're doing to detect changes in the windows color scheme, where we create a winform and listen to win32 events on this one. Of course the winform should have been completely hidden. But it turns out the form was this single pixel :)