Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Logic Editor (Antares VIZIO) : (video screens)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Neodrop, Sep 1, 2010.

1. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

I'm totally happy with how flexible universe is, I really want a feature like this to share my code with others who don't use universe.... even if the code is not working code, but more an overview of all used containers and graphs or something, maybe just a button to export screenshots of all graphs and used containers in a project..

2. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

In your project are you the only person working on it or do you have a small team? I know Universe pretty well, like I said, I've been using it since it was in the closed beta, over a year ago. It's not that Universe isn't powerful, hell it's the most powerful visual scripting tool Unity has to offer. So far, there hasn't been anything that I haven't been able to do in Universe, and I'm really happy about that.

The main reason I need this feature is for workflow reasons; the ability to both work in real time and also export out regular unity script code maximizes the number of people you can work with.

For example, maybe I'm working with a programmer who just doesn't have the time to get familiar with Universe. Or maybe I'm working on somebody else's project where I'm the only person using Universe. Time is money and they might not want to change their workflow to something they're not familiar with or take the time to go through the tutorials.
    Like I said, Universe is great and I love it, this is just a feature I personally need at some point (I can understand if it's not a top priority of course).

That's good to know, thanks for clearing that up. Looking forward to Universe II then :)

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  3. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Just bought it (cos its half price!) :)
    And right off the bat I encountered a problem - Maybe I am doing something wrong or just completely blind - I can't seem to find how to get to the Antares Universe/VIZIO window.

The Antares button on toolbar opens to "UNIVERSE" -> "WIZARD" but only "Getter LogicBlock Wizard" is avaliable. Is this a bug? How do I get to graph editor?? (Also, what's "Getter" anyway? :D I understand the Neodrop is Russian but at least spell check ALL your stuff including interface).

I am watching the Beginner Tutorial on Youtube right now and straight off it tells me to DELETE something off Antares folder. It doesn't say why, just "DELETE THIS". I would like to make a suggestion to Neodrop to make an effort for "higher quality" tutorials that explains how to use this and also WHY. Right now Antares just comes off as half-baked and very unpolished and unprofessional. Not a good first impression..........:(

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  4. Neodrop

Neodrop

Create empty GameObject or select existing one.
    open menu : Antares/Universe/Open or Add -> and select "Add"

or

Just open menu : Antares/Universe/Open or Add -> and select "Create new"

There is nothing to delete. It's just a old bug with Unity package system. As I know, now all works fine. Also, right now I'm prepare a new update.

Cheers.

5. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I tried creating empty GameObject and then open menu : Antares > Universe >
    And the only option avaliable is "Wizards" and then > Getter LogicBlock Wizard.
    Tried selecting existing GameObject too, same thing. There is just no other option.

6. Neodrop

Neodrop

Not like this ? I can't beleave, cose no one never report about such problem.

$menu.jpg

7. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

This is what it looks like on my computer :

OSX 10.6.8, Unity v3.5.0 PRO + iOS PRO.

8. Neodrop

Neodrop

You should have the latest version of Unity. Some Editor classes has been changed inside Unity and Universe editor can not work with older unity builds.

9. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Okay, thanks, I will try to update Unity tomorrow and report back if it solves the problem.

BTW. What's a "Getter" ? ;)

You should probably just call it "LogicBlock Wizard", or "Get LogicBlock Wizard".

10. Neodrop

Neodrop

Well, may be. Thanks.
    Also, I have tested last release right now on my Mac and, as expected, all works fine (as fine for a lot of my users). I hope it's just a problem of your older Unity version. It's absolutely unique bug. You a lucky man.

11. juan-jo

juan-jo

There are some aesthetic issues you meet easily just starting with Universe. This and a little steeped difficulty at first, made ​​me to desist from using Universe at first several attempts.
    But later it works really well, and certainly, personally I think it is worth.

Good luck.

12. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Yep, after updating Unity from v3.5.0 to v3.5.2 the problem disappeared. So its just a v3.5.0 problem. I must be the only guy who were hanging on to 3.5.0 and also got Antare Universe.....:p

Sorry about the comment before, I was kind of "tick off" by Unity Asset Store's problem (it just happen Asset Store F*** up badly when I was purchasing your extension), and then after hours of trying when I finally got your extension, this bug that basically make it unusable under v3.5.0 just push me over the edge (And the only interface I can see is that "Getter" thing that does nothing....and you didn't spell check your interface too! :p ...Its all unfair comments, and I apologise.

I am playing with it right now, and learning from videos. I am already liking it - the depth it offers and the extensive libraries of prefabs are amazing! What it needs is just some polishing. I agree with others before, why this extension isn't a top seller - and I can tell you why - you need to polish your interface!! SPELL CHECK !!!

Also, you need to get rid of that "flame/tattoo" background. Its interfering with the foreground visually - a very obvious usability issue especially when you have lots of connections and they are all curved lines.

Another suggestion I have is to maybe rename your "brand" - its too long to remember. "Antares Universe (VIZIO)" is quite a mouthful. You need to follow Apple's philosophy if you want to be successful - make it extremely simple to remember - like APPLE, IPAD, IPHONE, JAVA, UNITY... You can even call it MOTHER RUSSIA (I am joking!) and its still easier to remember. There is a reason why PlayMaker and uScript are consistently featured as top paid app! So, maybe drop that "Antares Universe" (And why Antares? Why with "s" at the end? Its hard to remember and confuse the customers if you have "s" at the end because they can't be sure if its plural or not) and just call it simply "Universe" (or "VIZIO", which ever one is simpler in your opinion - I like "UNIVERSE" because it keeps the rhyming theme going with "Unity"). It will make it easier to remember, and not sound like its very complicated and hard to use (because that's the impression people get when you have a very long brand name).

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  13. Duffdaddy

Duffdaddy

Can anyone tell me if Pax or NeoDrop finished the iOS Package optimisation so you could build and export clean and small iOS Apps and games?
    Been waiting for this for a long time...

14. Neodrop

Neodrop

Yes. It's finished and will be published soon after last deep testing. But in my own projects, I don't use it cose my apps much more 20 mb and I don't care about additional 1-2 mb ;)

15. Neodrop

Neodrop

I am da Bawss, thank you for your suggestions. I will thinking about all of it.
    About the name :
    VIZIO is the first one name of the project and is obsolete because Microsoft have it first. But still here for "backward capability".
    Antares (it's one of the biggest stars in our galaxy) - is my trademark.
    Universe is the name of this project. I think, I can remove VIZIO from the name. But it will confuse new users because all code live inside VIZIO folder and by some reasons I can't rename it.

And as conclusion : yes, I'm not a seller and selling is not my lovely game. Universe just my main working environment.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  16. Duffdaddy

Duffdaddy

Awesome, I'll be one of your first buyers. My projects are all pretty trim, utility type apps, so every meg I can save the better.

17. Neodrop

Neodrop

Universe 1.27 pending review by Unity.
    Now, the Universe core is about 10x faster!

18. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

WOW ! 10X performance boost!! BIG THUMBS UP!

19. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I've not being using it because of this dll that is never released.
    (more than 1 year have passed)
    And if I remember right, it is around +16mb in iOS builds. Just to much.

20. Neodrop

Neodrop

Not so hard, Bruno. May be because last year, UT has been optimizing Unity compilation a lot. But, yes, Universe stripping system can reduce build size.

21. Neodrop

Neodrop

It's most noticeably in a huge graphs. For most apps this bust will be smaller. But it'll be.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  22. kshaja

kshaja

New video tutorial for 1.27 release.
    "FSM Check Current" "FSM Set Current" nodes now can check and set states inside another graphs:

23. tutiplain1

tutiplain1

Hi!

I was going to buy Antares Universe plugin with the Asset Store Madness special, which listed it being available for $75, but I noticed Antares no longer appears under it. Does mean the beta period mentioned in the product description is over and the priced went back to regular? Thanks for any info!

24. Neodrop

Neodrop

I have upload new update and (may be) asset store administrator has moved it from madness stuff group. I will try to fix it asap.

25. Neodrop

Neodrop

Fixed. Now saling with discount again.

26. colchambers

colchambers

I've downloaded the free version and get this error when I try anything

The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!
    UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility:LoadRequired(String)
    f:ad()
    f:s()
    au:d()
    au:OnDrawBlock()
    Antares.Vizio.Runtime.VizioExtender:a(Object[])
    Antares.Vizio.Runtime.VizioExtender:EventCall(Object, Type, String, Object[])

I just tried getting a cube to rotate using an update and rotate logic block. Doesn't actually matter what I use. I get the same error.

To be doubly sure I created a new empty project then redownloaded the free editor. Created the cube and logic. Same error. When I remove the logic graph the error disappears. When I add any logic it returns.

Error seems to be in the dll hence I can't fix it myself. I'd like to buy the full version but need to play with the working free one first.

27. Neodrop

Neodrop

In general, this is not an error. Just warning. But, can you show me your graph as screenshot here?
    I will try to reproduce it.

28. colchambers

colchambers

Thanks. Was a newbie problem. I thought the error was stopping antares. I hadn't managed to get it working. Dug deeper. I hadn't assigned the transform to the cube object I was working with. Did this and it works fine. I don't seem to be getting the error now either.

Thanks for the quick response.

29. fis

fis

30. imRobert

imRobert

Hi Neodrop,

In the Unity Asset Store June Newsletter (email from 28th June) it's written that the price of VIZIO/Antares would be slashed by 50% or more until July 23rd.
    But in the Asset Store it's still listed at $150. Is this going to change, or is there a discount code ?

I want to try the free beta first to see if it is what I want. The 23 days left of the promotion should be enough to make up my mind.

I prefer hand coding, and because of that I find myself moving away from Unity to a regular C# IDE, more and more and using Unity only to compile, and deploy for testing. But it's not ideal. Some of the things which Unity takes away from the developer have to be done by hand.
    From reading and a bit of research I have the impression that VIZIO/Antares allows a good mix of true visual scripting and hand coding. So I want to give it a shot.

What I'm looking for is a tool which allows me to mix and match visual scripting and hand coding.
    It must preserve my hand written code, or even better parse my hand written code and adjust the visual diagrams, flow charts, and models.
    If VIZIO/Antares really allows true visual scripting (covering almost everything what can be done with hand coding) it should be able to do that, vice versa. Isn't it?

Also the diagrams, and flow charts look like they will give a very good and quick overview of the logic. Even after coming back to them months later. Better than with pure hand coding.

31. Neodrop

Neodrop

Unfortunately, I have don't received last newslater (I don't know why). This newslater is created without me and, may be, here is some mistake in sale date. But the Free version is always free.
    With Universe (and free version too) you can create any complexity application, but Universe have no ability to converting existing code in visual graph.

32. imRobert

imRobert

So how does Universe co-exists with, or treats handwritten code in a project ?
    Because I have quite a lot of handwritten code (C# classes).

And you're right. Of course, you should know better than anyone. There is no discount mentioned for Antares Universe.
    I misread the opening line :

33. Stardog

Stardog

You can access custom scripts easily with Wizards. All public variables - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNCEOEuA8Bo

You can access public functions with Wizards too - Wizards > Universal Wizard > Call Method. It gives you a drop-down list of all functions

Or you can create a custom LogicBlock. There is a generator in Antares Menu > Wizards > LogicBlock Wizard. You can put any hand-written code in here.

I think the LogicBlock Wizard is also in the free version.

34. imRobert

imRobert

Hey Stardog,

Thanks for that. Just watched the video you linked (and some other Universe videos). I'm going to give it a shot with the free version first.
    But I'm under the impression that Iit's better to first finish this project hand coded. And start the next one with Universe maybe.

35. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I am getting some strange error messages after I started a new project and imported in Universe package.

Under "Set max iteration count" I got the error : "CheckConsistency: GameObject does not reference component MonoBehaviour. Fixing."
    "Application/buildAgent/work/xxxxxxxx/Runtime/BaseClasses/GameObject.cpp at line: 912"

Another one under "In Screen Center" error message :
    com->m_GameObject.GetInstanceID () != 0
    "Application/buildAgent/work/xxxxxxxx/Runtime/BaseClasses/GameObject.cpp at line: 230"

And finally under the same "in Screen Center" error message:
    CheckConsistency: GameObject does not reference component MonoBehaviour. Fixing.
    "Application/buildAgent/work/xxxxxxxx/Runtime/BaseClasses/GameObject.cpp at line: 912"

36. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

I've gotten these as well on project start and they have never effected me thankfully, not sure what they mean.

37. Neodrop

Neodrop

Sometime, when importing Universe package, Unity lost 3-5 scripts on Universe editor standard prefabs. I don't know why.
    To fix it, you can just add VizioComponent (from VIZIO/Plugins/) on this prefabs manualy (in first missing component slot).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  38. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Sorry Neodrop, can you elaborate on how to do that?

39. Neodrop

Neodrop

For example, find "In Screen Center" prefab inside VIZIO/Containers/Rect folder.
    Select it. In Inspector you will see "missing monobehaviour" fields.
    Open VIZIO/Plugins/Antares.Vizio.Runtime and drag&drop VizioComponent on first "missing monobehaviour" field in prefabs inspector.
    All other "missing components" you can delete. It will restored automaticaly.

40. fis

fis

My base scene tor future arch visualization project.
    All logic and GUI made completely (excepting the sky) with Universe.
    Functions:
    WASD QE walk/fly
    scroll - zoom(orbit), speed(fly/walk)
    ctrl+scroll - change camera FOV

http://www.fisart3d.com/UnityExamples/ArchVizTemplateDemo/WebPlayer.html

Export/Import functionality works only in standalone so there is also a video to show how it works.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  41. mindlube

mindlube

Just some suggestions for your Free / Limited version in the Asset Store:

- add some documentation or a quick start guide. I saw 1 page of API docs only.
    - add some demo and example scenes. There is only 1 scene named "test" and it's empty.

I just wanted to kick the tires of another visual FSM editor. I'm currently happy with PlayMaker but noticed that your product has a FSM too. It looks pretty complicated and there was nothing really to hook me in.

42. Stardog

Stardog

Haha, what a coincidence, because I am actually working on a new website for Antares. It has Docs and Tutorials. (Neodrop, check your PM Inbox) :p

The FSM is actually quite simple to use. Here's an example (a not ideally-programmed one, but it's easy to read):

Then you'll want to use OnStateEnable/Disable to fire off the anim's. Also, the FSM actually has a seperate FSM-specific versions of Monobehaviourssuch as OnMouseDown/Update/etc.

I think Playermaker's FSM goes OnEnable/Update/OnDisable for every state, so you can replicate that easily.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  43. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I was thinking of giving Antares a second try... but I couldn't even get to do a series of animations without issues... but with the new documentation, it should be easy now...

44. Stardog

Stardog

If you want to try again, here's the playmaker style door tutorial done with Antares. You can see the final graph is pretty simple.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ogjOi6cNFf47JzXqfOFytO--CbjMbcvjVCTFLm2eldw/edit

45. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

Hey Stardog, do you need any specific tutorials recorded? I've been trying to find the time to get something recorded.

of if you prefer the google doc format I can do that too.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  46. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

47. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

Hey neptune, the nice thing about universe is that you can use the unity reference to use universe. So if you want to play an animation just look up the appropriate functions in the unity docs and then search for those in universe.

48. Stardog

Stardog

I would wait to see if Neodrop wants/can use the website, but it can take video or text. Until then, if you do text, use Google Docs (Header 3 for titles, bullet points for actions).

Anything with game functionality like doors/input etc will be good. Door with trigger, and moving a ball with physics have been done so far. Maybe Unity Answers will give some ideas. Simple ones would be better.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  49. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

What is the latest version of Antares?

EDIT: Found it... just woke up... going to give ANtares another shot...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  50. Neodrop

Neodrop

Checked ;) Thank you for your amazing initiative.