Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Logic Editor (Antares VIZIO) : (video screens)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Neodrop, Sep 1, 2010.

1. juan-jo

juan-jo

However you obtain a lot more for the price…

I agree.
    I think the main complaint for Universe is the entry difficulty. Even myself published comments about it. However is not real. It takes a little effort to begin with Universe, but in a few days you can be working.
    I think is a 'aesthetic' (both the web and Universe itself) and very entry documentation problem.

It's really needed a clear access to basic documentation, formatting it as documentation (better than forum) and to hide and show gradually the more advanced subjects.

All of this is in order to have more users comming to Universe. Once you are in, is easy to work with it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

possibly we could do some kind of community documentation project?

3. juan-jo

juan-jo

First steps, and then a comprehensive guide of basic concepts, would be nice for beginners. A cool and minimalistic web design ever helps too :p

And then, is needed to complete the online reference for specific Universe logic blocks (these that points to the Antares forum).

For more advanced topics they are doing good tutorials already…

4. Neodrop

Neodrop

Yes. I agree with all your points. But I have no free time to do it by myself ;)
    In general Antares Universe is my main working environment. I have created it for myself (in first point) but not as only (special) commercial product.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  5. Stardog

Stardog

I have an unreleased site template I designed (I am a website designer). I modified it for this.

I think something like this would be nice maybe with more images in the middle, and 3 big videos with links to more instead of 12.

6. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

thats very cool, and so is your game. Definitely post any work you do in universe!

7. juan-jo

juan-jo

I supose Neodrop will prefer something darker, but this seems professional, clear and not intimidating. Nice!

8. Stardog

Stardog

Actually with the design you can change the background image (also the black text to white) to get a new design. Maybe this is better, but you get the idea anyway.

A new site might not make any difference. I think beginner tutorial videos are more important.

9. kshaja

kshaja

Neo is just one guy, not a team of people developing this product, so if We the users want to make VIZIO better and more popular, lets help Neo.
    I made couple of video tutorials about the subjects that I thought would be of interest to the people that are using Vizio. I don't have a interesting voice for audio part of the tutorials so I made them with few text balloons. Because Vizio is so Visual I think it's ok like that.

If everybody could make just a few short videos about some LB, that would be enough to build a large base of documentation about Vizio.
    Neo is helping everybody about a lot of stuff when ever he has the time to do it. Lets Us help Neo. By helping him he would have more time to develop Vizio and make it better, so we would have more powerful tool.

Here is my YouTube channel with video tutorials:

VIZIO Video Tutorials

If you have a request for a tutorial and I know how to do it, I would be glad to make it.

10. juan-jo

juan-jo

Video tutorials are very cool, but for a lot of topics text could be enough.

I would like to make a very starting guide with key concepts, but I'm very bussy too, so I don't know when…

(By the way Happy Christmas where applicable…)

11. Uttpd

Uttpd

you could use something like goggle docs to build a community document. Have been using it off lately and is perfect for this type of work, anyone (that shares the document) can edit, add, correct or just comment in is own time. Always in real time.

The more users the better for all

PS: I´v barely scratch unity myself and don't have programming skills, can only contribute as tester for " explain it as if i was really thick"

12. juan-jo

juan-jo

In fact I think Universe is a good approach to start working and learn Unity itself…

13. Neodrop

Neodrop

Thank you, folks. I'm very glad to read this discussion here. It's mean Universe still grow.

14. juan-jo

juan-jo

You are very humble, but if the slogan of Unity is to "democratize game development", you have the key with Universe.
    Unity is a comprehensive and 'accessible' development environment, but not at all easy to master nor especially more productive than other text-based engines.
    With Universe, Unity becomes truly "democratic", available to non-technical users, and productive that allows individuals or small teams to complete projects without last forever.

From my point of view you should have already your million dollar bid by Unity Studios to buy Universe and hire you to continue it's development and full integration.

If they do not, I believe that we who appreciate its advantages, should support it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  15. Aappleyard

Aappleyard

I could do with some help using this asset.

I have very little knowledge of Unity but I know how to use most software just because I find it mostly intuitive. So I am trying to make a simple 3rd Person game made with just primatives (cubes spheres pyramids etc) just to get game play mechanics working. I thought seen as I lack skills in programming this asset would most deffinatly be of some help to me.

However.. for the life of me.. I cant work out how to make a character move using the WSAD keys...

Any advice? :)#

My idea is to get my "character" ( a cube -.-* ) to move about on the X and Z.
    To have the camera follow the player and allow it to be rotated using the right mouse button and moving the mouse...
    And for the WSAD keys to move the character about relative to the angle of the camera..

But I have no blady clue what ta do! :)

Hehe.. Btw this asset seems pretty awesome. I just need to get better at understanding it.. If I can get the hang of it I will most definatly be buying it ! :D

16. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

hey apple yard,

theres many ways to move a character around, but what you're thinking is one way, you could start with something very simple like you said, try moving a cube around with universe.

to get the W A S D keys you can use key combo or input do,

heres a small graph I made to move the universe game object around (using this get transform, gets the transform of the object that has the graph on it, in this case it's the empty universe game object that gets created) then I use another high level smart block to called translate to move the transform a certain amount per farme.... Update, the activator block running the code updates every frame.

17. Aappleyard

Aappleyard

Thanks for that Redmacmanz. That helped alot!

I wish there were more tutorials on how to make

Simple FPS with Universe

Simple RPG with Universe

Simple RTS with Universe

Simple Platformer with Universe

because I still dont understand how to work things out. LIke how do I get a camera to follow my moving box character around?
    How do i get my box to jump. I think using the Combo Key and translate nodes wouldnt give the desired effect. Unless I somehow made a graph which allows the box to translate 2 up and then back down the 2 upon pressing the space bar.. bah i dunno!

xD

Anyways cheers. Anyone know of any places for some more 'game from scratch' tutorials using universe :) ?

18. alewinn

alewinn

Hello Neodrop,

Are you planning an early Unity 3.5 version in the upcomming weeks ?

19. alewinn

alewinn

Auto reply (Discovered Twitter today.. a great tool, twitter)

"#Antares #Universe #Vizio for #Unity3D 3.5 will be published in #AssetStore in 2-3 days. Stay tuned."

I tune :D

20. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Making tutorials for FPSs, Platformers, RPGs,etc. would be long and time consuming and I can see how Neodrop wouldn't have the time to make them all...
    But what if they were paid tutorials? Like maybe each one of those tutorials could go for $20-$50 each? It would build up support for Universe and show people what could be done with it, how it should be done, and Neodrop could potentially make a lot more money and even get money from the the people using Universe Free :)

21. juan-jo

juan-jo

Once you has basic Universe skills, you can follow many of the regular Unity tutorials and documentation and write them on Universe.
    Obvioulsy you can't copy-paste the sample code, but in the process you will learn also a lot of Universe (and enjoy and realize it's advantages).

22. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

yes my suggestion apple yard is to use regular unity tutorials and recreate them in universe, this will force you to understand what every line does in these tutorials instead of copying and pasting them.

try some of the 3dbuzz tutorials or the zergberg arcade, or walker brothers ones.

universe gives you access to all the built-in functions of unity's code.

23. Neodrop

Neodrop

I have a small (technical) troubles with iOS Universe updating. I really hope it will be solved asap.
    In general, as always, Universe works fine with Unity 3.5 (in my working build). I will publish new update as soon, as iOS build will works too.
    Soon. May be even today.

But, unfortunately, by some Flash publishing restrictions, Universe will not work with Flash yet.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  24. Neodrop

Neodrop

I suggest to get Transform not in every frame, but only once in "Start" or "Awake" because it is excessive operation for every frame.

25. Neodrop

Neodrop

New update is ready for 3.5.0b6
    But, OMG - I can't publish this update because Asset Store Tools don't work in Unity 3.5

$assetStoreBroken.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  26. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

thats very weird, can you build it from 3.4?

27. alewinn

alewinn

Can Visio generate graphs from the project code ?
    Or from a scene setup ?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  28. Neodrop

Neodrop

It's impossible because new Universe will conflict with old Unity.

No. Universe is not a converter for ordinary code. But Universe can be very fast and easy integrated in existing code with user-created Smart Blocks or Wizards (it's a "magic" nodes which can find and work with almost any classes and methods in any code).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  29. SimonAlkemade

SimonAlkemade

Are the asset store tools fixed? Is there any other way I can get the latest version?

30. Neodrop

Neodrop

I think, it will be fixed when Unity 3.5 will be officially released.
    Unfortunately the new Universe version is not compatible with Unity 3.4 and can not be uploaded to the Asset Store from Unity 3.4

31. netlander

netlander

Hi Neodrop,

Currently using PlayMaker as well as uScript for our projects and it sounds like Universe can replace the use of both so we would really like to evaluate the tool. However we were wondering if the 'free' version had any limitations compared to the full version.

Keep up the good work
    Cheers

32. Neodrop

Neodrop

Free version have almost no limits.
    Just a banner on application start.
    No fluids surfaces
    No Mesh morphing nodes.
    No more limits.

33. Neodrop

Neodrop

New for next release : Universe logo near to every object in Hierarchy who contain the Universe Graph.
    Easy way to find and navigate in your project.

$LogoInHierarchyWindow.jpg

34. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

very helpful!

35. fis

fis

Attached Files:

36. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

37. blubeetle

blubeetle

Somebody PLEASE make a simple and coherent BASIC TUTORIAL for Antares! I can't understand anything the creator is trying to convey with this gadget. Not even and especially when he said it is simple to do. I give up trying to understand his videos.

38. eddie_y

eddie_y

Hey blubeetle, I'm just dipping my toes in the water with trying out Universe and uScript. Like you I'm totally new to these, but am going to be giving it a go in the next couple days.

I'm also re-acquainting myself with Unity in general after a rather long time of not using it (and never used it too deeply before), so I'm going to be running through a couple of their traditional tutorials to get up to speed again anyways, and thought I'd try to replicate any scripting in those tutorials using each of these tools instead. If I'm successful I'd be happy to write up some examples on my blog and maybe they'll help.

39. blubeetle

blubeetle

Hi Eddie, thank you very much for the respond!

As you can see, I'm not a programmer at all, so I'm very happy to find the emerging phenomena of Visual Scripting within Unity and kinda wonder why it hasn't been made a built-in feature in Unity at all in the first place, considering the tremendous marketing appeal to the general masses, if that's truly what they are targeting. At the very least, now that there are several popular options available--uScript, PlayMaker and Antares, there's also a possibility to license either one to be integrated fully with the next release(s) of Unity.

Regarding Antares, I've been trying very hard to understand the basic usability and functionality of Antares for a week to no avail. If I may present a good example in my opinion, PlayMaker's video tutorials presented in YouTube by HutongGames are extremely excellent and easy to comprehend, and would be a good starting point to emulate. They are located at [http://www.youtube.com/user/HutongGamesLLC/featured].

Kudos for your effort!

40. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

Hey blubeetle, I don't have much time recently, but if you have a specific tutorial you want in general, OR one of the playmaker ones recreated I would gladly make a video for you if I can figure it out!

41. blubeetle

blubeetle

Hi Redmacmanz,

Sure, I appreciate the offering. The first thing that comes to mind would obviously the "Antares Basic"--sort of like the PlayMaker's version of "PlayMaker Editor Layout" located at [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuvsoUAi04A&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL], and then the "Playmaker Basics - A Simple FSM" located at [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkyUbY3Bq0A] for simple example implementation.

The next crucial tutorial would be regarding triggers, such as the PlayMaker's "Triggers and Doors" located at [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vAAnt2uboU&feature=BFa&list=ULod78RhlLXUI&lf=mfu_in_order].

If only these three tutorials are available for Antares, in a way that are simple, precise, coherent and easy to understand, would serve a tremendous boost for layman people like me to actually take an interest and start getting productive. It is truly a waste for a good application to get wasted just because people don't understand how to use it.

Thanks in advance!

42. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

I watched these videos a long time ago when I first bought universe and playmaker, let me rewatch and make something similar.

43. eddie_y

eddie_y

Oooo, nice! I look forward to that too. I'm still going to do my "work in parallel" with the traditional tutorials. If it seems helpful then I'll share the experience, but I won't rush to write it down/video it since someone who actually knows the package well is offering! Thanks redmacmanz. :D

44. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

I would advise starting with something extremely simple, for example try getting a cube to move around with WASD. Something small and simple like that is good because you can play around with it and see what everything does. Looking at the Unity Scripting reference is helpful too because it will say exactly what each command does.

Some things that caused me much frustration in the beginning came from a lack of knowledge in certain programming concepts. These are not specific to Universe, these are things that programmers know, but the absolute beginners might not. That's the price of having all the control that Universe gives you; you can do anything you can do in code, but you can also make some of the same mistakes.

A complete beginner might not know the difference between Update vs Fixed Update for example, but that is something that you definitely need to know because if you don't, it will cause a large number of problems in your script (that's just one example, but it's the sort of thing that will cause enough problems that you might think the problem is the Universe but in reality it is not). The regular scripting tutorials can help out a lot with this.

Here's a really simple graph that you can attach to a cube, which lets you move it with WASD/Arrow keys. Create a cube in your scene, and recreate this graph on it. You can play around with the graph and see what everything does. For example if you change the numbers in the multipliers you can change how fast you move.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  45. blubeetle

blubeetle

Hi Jingle Fett. Thank you for the lesson. Appreciate it very much! I will try this on. Seems still a bit fast for me, but I'm not turning down a good gesture.

Kudos.

46. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

Hey guys, I will make those videos, sorry I've been very busy with work :(.

47. Stardog

Stardog

48. Neodrop

Neodrop

49. Stardog

Stardog

Yes I found that thread already, but sometimes I like them invisible (it makes them look special :p) and I didn't want to fix in tutorial video.

After import, if I press Play I get warnings that every prefab inside VisualAddons folder has missing Mono Behaviours...Each prefab has 2 missing monobehaviour components.

50. Neodrop

Neodrop

This missing behaviours has been fixed in 1.25
    But, in general, you can simple fix it too. If missing VizioComponent - just replace it from Antares.Vizio.Runtime dll. If something also - just remove it. Universe will add a necessary components automatically when you enter in Play mode.

This missing components has been happend during package importing accidently, but now I found and fixed it.