Search Unity

Virtual world running in web browser

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by mmilne, Jun 29, 2016.

1. mmilne

mmilne

I created this virtual world using Unity3D and the Babylon.js exporter. Its only a beta version so there's still a lot to work on. This runs on desktop browsers and all mobile browsers. The avatars are friends of mine that I scanned in myself. Please tell me what you think. I'm open to all criticisms :)

Click on the link here to enter the virtual world. You can walk around as a guest but you need to register to build.
    www.punkoffice.com/webiverse

2. Rombie

Rombie

Just logged out.
    Great work so far; reminds me a lot of Active Worlds. Can't wait to see how this develops.

mmilne likes this.
  3. Jip1912

Jip1912

I only see a purple screen?

4. mmilne

mmilne

Where you using a mobile device or desktop? If mobile, what device was it? So far today I haven't see any purple screen on desktop, iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S4

5. Jip1912

Jip1912

6. MichaelJP

MichaelJP

Took a look and in a way, it reminded me of a very very young Second Life pre-alpha. I see potential. I look forward to seeing where this goes.

7. mmilne

mmilne

8. carking1996

carking1996

Camera needs to be a smooth follow for starters. Very annoying to have it the way it is.

9. Jip1912

Jip1912

Works on internet explorer (I don't like internet explorer) but if I choose an avatar, nothing happends

10. mmilne

mmilne

Interesting. What versions are you using of Chrome/Firefox/Safari ? webGL is enabled by default on all those browsers for the last few versions. Old versions will have is disabled and it will require it to be enabled via settings. Really old versions won't have it at all

11. mgear

mgear

Best! Add VR Support, apply for VR funding - Done!

*and could I play catch pokemon inside the vr world?

12. Jip1912

Jip1912

I enabled webgl still doesnt work

13. mmilne

mmilne

Can you tell me what OS, browser and the version so I can check it out? Thank you for your patience :)

Edit:
    Does this webGL site work? http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#
    Wondering if the ThreeJS or BabylonJS webGL sites are broken for you too or if its just my website

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  14. Jip1912

Jip1912

Sorry I would do it but im on holliday so I cant check it. My computer is at home.

15. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

There is something wrong with character rotations while switching from walking to flying. It looks like you interpolate vertices between poses instead of rotating.

16. mmilne

mmilne

Yes I see your point. I have done this badly. I have transitioned from an animation where the avatar is upright, to an animation where the avatar is flat. These are the default animation positions. This causes some severe warping of the avatar during the transition. What I should do is change the flying animation so its also upright, then rotate it naturally to end up in the flattened position. You're right that it looks bad at the moment. Other people have told me that too. Thanks for the feedback :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  17. Jip1912

Jip1912

The babylon-js site works for me, your site doesn't. Google chrome.

18. mmilne

mmilne

Well I've had some interesting feedback. Most people who visit think its a good start. Some devs come in and give me useful feedback. However, I occasionally get the "Well this is useless as S***" comment. I've had one person come in and accuse me of being racist because the 4 people that volunteered to be scanned as avatars for the virtual world happen to be white. Then there's people that draw dick and balls pics and swastikas on the public graffiti wall.

19. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Characters are fine but there is big input lag and low fps (1-2 fps) on my MBP.

OSX El Capitan
    mid 2014 MBP
    Intel Iris 1536 MB
    2.8 ghz i5

20. mmilne

mmilne

Thanks for the info. I did see you in there and I noticed you were lagging pretty badly. You were practically running on the spot!

21. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

I saw you, too but couldn't reach you. Tears.. I think it's because of WebGL performance

22. mmilne

mmilne

Not sure why you only get 1-2fps
    I get 60fps on my Windows PC 3.3Ghz + GeForce GTX 970
    I get 15fps (minimum) on my iPhone 6+ using 4G network

webGL isn't usually so bad that it only spits out 1-2fps on all devices. I would have cancelled the virtual world if it was that bad for everyone

23. davidbates

davidbates

Very cool, I'd like to see some better-autogenerated colliders so my character can stand on stuff or not walk through billboards but good start

mmilne likes this.