Search Unity

Video Plugin

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JQE, Jul 6, 2015.

?

Would you pay 20$ for a Unity 3D Integrated LibVLC Player?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2015.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. JQE

JQE

Good Day,

I have been working on a plugin, and actually almost have it done.

So i thought i would stop by ask a bit of advice and find out if there is a market for it at all.

I was working on some stuff, and decided i want to make my own Virtual Cinema software, but realized there is no easy way to implement playback of all video types in Unity3D. This started me on a long and windy road,

In the end i settled on using a solid framework (LibVLC) and creating a plugin and DLL combo that allowed us to use that playback within unity.

Now it took a while, but i have it working in Windows 64 Bit and 32Bit.
    I ended up using rawpixel data from VLC and bringing into a bitmap than applying it to a texture on the gameobject. This should allow it to work on any device as it doesn't use direct Video Card access and doesn't do any special formats.

The catch is it seems to require a number of files in the root of the project (aka with the executable) not in the asset folder.

So i am wondering if someone could help me figure out either of the following scenarios.
    a) I need to figure out how to import Native Dlls that are recursive. As my DLL calls LibVlc.dll which calls plugins/libavcodec.dll and so on. Works if all the strucutre is in the root, but not when i import them into the project. Is there a way to make it all work?
    b) If not, is there a way to have a unitypackage push files to the root of the project when they add it to their games?

Finally, once i figure out the above question to allow distribution. How many people would be interested in this plugin if it was priced at 20$US?

2. JQE

JQE

I have managed to get it working into a plugin, and have it deploy properly.
    Just polishing it up and adding it to the app store. I will be posting some screenshots and code examples.

The basics are this.
    You import the project, it contains a Editor script and a post processing script.
    If you want to test the videos from Editor you use the Media Player Menu then do the Install Libs for your architecture
    Then you can drag the Scripts/MediaPlayer script to any game object.

From that point, you can interact with that gameobject
    Functions
    OpenMovie(FILENAME)
    Play()
    Pause()
    Stop()
    Skip(bool Forward, int Delta in seconds)
    close()
    GetMovieInfo -> returns a class represting the Current time into the video, Total time of the video, Width, Height, Current state (AKA Idle, Stopped, Playing, Paused)

I am going to work at FF and RW by using the RateSpeed
    I am also going to work on getting it linux compatible. Right now its just Windows

This is using the LibVLC Framework, so its files are included in the project, i will be linking the source when the project is released.

This is setup so you DO NOT need to have VLC Player installed, you do however need to have the Media Codecs installed.

Any feedback? Anyone like the idea of this?

3. ArtyIF

ArtyIF

The main question. WHY I should to pay for OPEN SOURCE things?! It's a (L)GPL license violation (libVLC distributes under LGPLv2.1)! So I wouldn't pay, sorry.

4. JQE

JQE

It's not a violation to charge for it. It's a violation to do so without providing source.

What I am selling is not libvlc but an integration technology to use it.

As long as I provide access to the source and credit it's not a violation to anything.

All I know is it took me a long time to get unity and vlc talking, hoping to save others the time and hassle of that.

5. d5avard

d5avard

I am really interested, how I can contact you.

6. JQE

JQE

I had decided after the lack of interest and the such i wasn't going to sell it, just use it myself.

If i do decide to sell it i will put it on the unity asset store.

7. AdbC99

AdbC99

Hi, I know you mentioned you wouldn't sell it; but I am really interested and would like to get in contact

8. Wanzyee

Wanzyee

Hi, @JQE,
    I'm interested in your vlc player plugin, may I take my assets to exchange yours?
    Thanks... :)