Search Unity

Very impressive Japanese Game Engine used by Square Enix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by I am da bawss, Nov 24, 2012.

1. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I was googling for Unity image effect reference when I happened upon this company that produce several lines of middleware products..
    First up:

YEBIS 2
    Real-time post processing effects middleware
    http://www.siliconstudio.co.jp/middleware/yebis/en/

Then:

OROCHI
    The all-in-one game engine
    http://www.siliconstudio.co.jp/middleware/orochi/en/product/library/

Some more screenshots where they talk about the engine:
    http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/3dcg/20120601_531815.html

The thing about this engine is that it reminds me a lot of Unity.... except its a little bit more polish visually (with nifty utilities that are similar to the ones you can find in the Unity Asset Store) and at the same time its also very rough around the edges. It seems to be aiming similar to Unity - trying to be multi-platform and targeting DX11 and OGL ES 2.0+ mobile devices.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    cariaga likes this.
  2. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Yeah I saw the tech demo for this engine a little while ago. So impressive. :)

3. fano_linux

fano_linux

amazeing.... lol

4. Khyrid

Khyrid

If we can one day make artificial simulations that are indistinguishable from reality (and at this rate we will be able), then it's possible that hundreds of thousands of years have passed since recorded history and countless different reality simulations have been made like the matrix. It is mathematically more likely that we are in a simulation ourselves rather than being the one original reality.

5. SevenBits

SevenBits

6. TehWut

TehWut

I saw the tech demos awhile back. It looked very impressive if it was real time

7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

it is realtime

8. resetme

resetme

That looks like in house engine, anyways, square Enix are doomed. FF it's not the same anymore, they should leave Enix .

9. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Highly unlikely... there profits are up from last year.

Anyway, this looks great, I saw the demo but I think they show the PC version maxed and then the other versions will be massively S*** compared... (PS vita I'm looking at you!)

Oh and there are flaws... they should not have shadows when there invisible.

10. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

So are we even real, or just fine tuned code . Are some of us code and some of us batteries .

Then again you have to keep in mind that great civilizations tend to collapse , like Rome .

11. Darkhazard

Darkhazard

I guess it depends on why they are invisible. Something that simply projects the image around them onto their clothing would still have shadows underneath...

12. fano_linux

fano_linux

13. khanstruct

khanstruct

Watching the showcase videos, they are clearly very proud of their light flares. :/

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've got most of this done in the simian framework I have, it's capable of a lot of effects all playing off each other (similar to a deferred render but manually done thanks to render textures, and a few tricks). All this is doable in unity today, but unfortunately the biggest issue is always the time taken to create a framework and shaders for the epic look you're looking for.

In short, its hard work. Tools look a little too un-user friendly for my tastes at the moment, but its still my fave "look" of current AAA engines out there :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  15. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

What? so you could have this quality graphics in Unity? could you post a screenshot!?!

16. Kryger

Kryger

I can appreciate the technology but would not buy games which look like post processing showcase. Yech.

17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yes. Unity provides a renderer, it's up to you what you render with it.

Other engines look "better" because they have cooler stuff out of the box. Engines which allow lower-level access to the rendering system might let you implement things in a more performant manner, but I'm not experienced enough at effects programming to know.

18. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Orochi is amazing, but almost all its tools and docs are localized for japanese devs only.
    The other one, all I saw and know about it is that most of its tools are based on Autodesk Maya, very customized, modified Maya package.

19. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Screenshots or it didn't happen !

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You'll have to buy our games to see them :)

What you are seeing with this engine is the result of hard work. For example you will have a lot of power the moment you render to a texture. From that you know what is light, what is dark. You can use mipmaps or render to a smaller texture for blur, for threshold (light sparkles) and other tricks. You can render the final composite onto another mesh for the end post fx - and all this can be done on mobile with reasonable framerates (I imagine not with shadows so something will have to give on current hardware).

I don't know what is more sad - users being surprised at this being done in unity, or the fact people are unaware unity can do this in unity pro out of the box with some careful tweaking. The reason we are essentially duplicating unity's own post fx with our own twist on it is because of speed, our versions are less accurate, take more time to author (tweaking specific FX meshes for example) and so on, so we can get a good looking mobile engine up. In The other Brothers, we've got an array of these effects already, although retro doesn't show it off that good. Stuff like vignetting, colour tinting, screen burn, it's all in there but played down. And it works nice on mobile.

The question isn't "can unity do this" but "how to make it fast in unity" and "how much does all this artwork cost?"

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    cariaga likes this.
  21. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Yes? the point is not that it could actually be done... it was that it has been done.

22. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Where is the buy now link , Steam ?

23. zipper

zipper

Lol - This is all Square Enix screen shots to show off the engine - Of course its going to look good.

Its like Unity only using Shadowgun screen shots to show what can be done with Unity.

I look at those screens and see a bunch of hard work.

Besides, Square can make anything look good. The movie 'Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within' was done with 3D Studio 4 (in dos!!) 10 years ago, and it still looks good.

zipper

24. kalamona

kalamona

lol... if we are all in a simulation, it doesn't have to be photo-realistic, because we all don't know what is realistic :)

25. techmage

techmage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_(illusion)

26. tatoforever

tatoforever

All those effets can be done in Unity with aproximative heavy math operations to make them faster (at the cost of not being 100% accurate). I've achieved multiple post-process in our mobile game with almost no impact on performance.

27. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

It could be happening right now and how we look is just due to the graphical style...

(Dam someone already said it :()

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  28. jerotas

jerotas

Would that be almost no performance impact even on slower (iPhone 3GS) devices? What kind of post process stuff are you talking about and how is that done? Custom shaders?

29. tatoforever

tatoforever

@jerotas,
    I'm talking about custom replacement shaders but 3GS is very slow for any good post process, even with the simplest (and/or most optimized) ones you notice lots of performance drop. I was mostly referring to iPhone4S or similar mobile hardware and up.

30. jerotas

jerotas

Ok, were you planning on selling those on the asset store?

31. derkoi

derkoi

This ^^

32. tatoforever

tatoforever

Yes but not now, when we get close to gold state I'll publish them on the AS. :rolleyes:

33. jerotas

jerotas

Awesome!

34. lockbox

lockbox

"Discovering" this isn't that easy or happens by accident. I didn't know about a lot of things Unity could do until I saw the video clip on this page:

http://www.i3dtutorials.com/tutorial/85_post-processing-effects-in-unity-3d

The post processing effects is why I'm going to eventually be forced to buy Unity Pro. I want a game that stands apart from the rest, so I really don't have much of a choice. It's the visuals that really separate the free version from the pro version - and until people realize it, they will continue to be awed by other engines.

35. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Are you sure this movie is good? This movie is the reason Squaresoft almost vanished from earth and they had to sell out to Enix... This movie is the reason why Hironobu Sakaguchi left Squaresoft and Final Fantasies became all crap since he's gone and Square-Enix born.

36. Tae

Tae

Anyone else see this, or just me ?

I think they copied and pasted Unity's FAQ, because it still says unity on some of them. Hahaha

37. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

LOL

38. hasullivan

hasullivan

Great find. I think we should all not say anything outside of this place and see how long they keep it there.

39. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Epic fail on the copy pasta ;)
    If they copy even the FAQ, imagine what they are doing regarding tools and workflow...
    Now imagine if their graphical pipeline is ctrl+c ctrl+v from Epic/CryTech. rofl!

Edit, Ok that screenshot is fake. Nice try.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  40. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

41. Tae

Tae

The "How can I become a Unity reseller?" got me right in the sides.

Hahahha

42. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

The page I read here says it is a middleware paid per project and per platform.
    This faq must be a joke.

43. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

BUSTED! LMAO! No wonder when I saw this engine I felt there is something familiar about it... I guess they are probably copying Unity!

UT, SUE THEM! SUE THEM TIL THEY GO BROKE AND THEN ACQUIRE THEM AND INTEGRATE IT BACK INTO UNITY! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

44. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Yo... A silicon bird told me today Yebis2 is probably coming to Unity Pro. :rolleyes:
    From what I heard, a plugin is already on the works. May be something interesting if they overcome Unity's limitations imposed by closed source.

45. tatoforever

tatoforever

Did you took your pills this morning? lol :rolleyes:

46. tatoforever

tatoforever

All those post-process in Yebis2 can be re-created in Unity fairly easy. :rolleyes:

47. Kinos141

Kinos141

I always believed Japan made better games.

48. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

As long as I love Unity, I'll not conceal the fact that that images are awesome. Look at them again, they speak too loud, especially the ones without "flare". See them through a hardcore gamer's eyes. This can be done in Unity? I'm all for it. it'd be nice to see screenshots like this, it'd make me very happy.

I looked at Shadowgun. I also know Battlestar Galactica Online, Oliver Spike, and a few others. Honestly, it doesn't compare.

Unity has a million advantages, like cross-platform, but we don't need to force advantages that is not necessarily there. I use Unity for the other several advantages.

Hey, this would be awesome!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  49. tatoforever

tatoforever

There's no magic trick on those effects, that's just very well done assets and some post-process. I can't speak for the assets but those post-process can be done fairly easy with Unity. Now that it supports DX11 and compute shaders, the only limit it's your hardware (and your skills :) ). Of course, it would be very awesome if Unity have even more build-in shaders and image-effects so it will fit very well everyone but isn't a Unity limitation. In fact Unity have one of the best rendering pipeline out there (and it's really well optimized), you just have to know how to write shaders and a good imagination. ^^

50. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

Screenshots? I think Unity graphics are great, but if it can do everything any engine do, why no one does?

That said, if Unity comes with an hyper-realistic rendering in the future, I hope they also include the option to use the shaders we have now, because in several cases I think it is more beautiful, not in realism but in an art sense.

I'm tired of this general talk about skills every time there is an engine comparison... If you take this talk to its basic concepts, you know there are other "general purpose engines" out there. You may have heard of them. They're called Assembly and C. It can render any graphics Unity does, it all depends on your skills ;) The only problem is people complain too much about them, instead of getting the job done! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013