Search Unity

Vertex Painter

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reissgrant, Sep 6, 2010.

1. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

This looks fantastic, I have a question.

When painting are changes made to a local copy of the mesh (stored in scene itself) or are they saved to an external ".asset" file? For example, can you paint onto a mesh and then create a prefab from it?

2. reissgrant

reissgrant

Unity terrains will not work with the vertex painter. I will look into adding this, and overriding the default terrain shader. Until then, you can shape terrain, then export as .obj and re-import and paint vertex colors.

3. reissgrant

reissgrant

Thanks! Yes, you can paint vertex colors and then "save" a mesh, and a prefab can be made of it.

4. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Excellent, this should allow me to create more complex shaders!

5. testure

testure

I just noticed from my asset store RSS feed that your plugin was updated today- is there a changelog or something somewhere?

curious about what was added/fixed and whether or not I should upgrade for my current project

6. reissgrant

reissgrant

@testure:

I did not remove any functional features, so it should not break anything already in place.

Specifically:
    I fixed a few blend shader bugs
    fixed some shader warnings
    Tweaked the interface

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Please update to use the new gui pressure functionality present in unity for windows and mac. It's a single line of code and Aras just confirmed it should work fine... it will also report 0 or 1 if a mouse is present so there is no downside to it. I have recommended a few friends use your great tool. Letting people choose to use pressure for size or strength would be an excellent 5 min job for you!

Keep up the good work (and pressure sensitvity :p)

8. shbsh

shbsh

I get very very low FPS when I try to use the tool when I work in my complete scene . I have to Isolate my object .

Is it a way to fix this ?

9. Patapouffe

Patapouffe

Is there a way to quickly paint all the vertices of an object in a given color instead of random ? How can I do that ?

10. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Does this Vertex Painter work with a mesh that's reusing UV-space? Or is painting the vertex colors done via an intermediate texture for which the UV's have to be unique?

11. reissgrant

reissgrant

@hippocoder:Thanks! This is the first I've heard of this! I will look into it!! :)

@shbsh: Unfortunately, No, sorry. If there are a lot of vertices in the object you are trying to paint, the performance will be slow since the tool has to run through every vertex.

@Patapouffe: Yes, just set the color you want to 1 and the others to 0. So, set the Red slider (if you want red) to 1 and the others to 0. The, press "assign random colors" and it will set all to whatever the sliders are set to.

@Marco S: UVs are only used to assign textures so they will not be affected by the tool. It's recommended that the UVs be square, so the blend textures will tile correctly, though.

12. usersen

usersen

Hi

I bought this on the unity store and am running into a lot of issues. They might be the same as MrTurnip Head originally posted a couple pages back. I am trying to use the mobile shaders and cannot get them to work correctly. 2tex and 3tex appear as expected, 2Tex_LIT and 3Tex_LIT show up as wireframe in the editor. 2tex_lightmaped and 3tex_lightmapped appears to multiply the first texture over the next 2 instead of blending them correctly, the lightmap shows up correctly though. 3tex_UNITY_lightmap appears like 3tex with correct blending but no lightmap. I have been trying to get 3tex_lightmap and 3tex_UNITY_lightmap to work for the past couple days with no luck.

Attached Files:

13. reissgrant

reissgrant

I apologize for the issues.

When you use Beast Lighmaps and mobile, you must use the mobile blend shader with Unity lightmap shader. Otherwise, you will see the wireframe.

The "lightmap" mobile blend shader is meant for an object with a lightmap from 3D Studio Max or Maya.

If you can link me to a scene file I can troubleshoot the problem.

Also, are you currently in Android or iOS build mode - or desktop?

Thank you

14. reissgrant

reissgrant

I consolidated the 2tex and 3tex mobile blend shaders and mobile beast lightmap shaders to correctly handle both. So, there is no need for the mobile beast lightmapped blend shaders as the code has been included in a subshader inside the main vertex blend shaders.

In other words, use the "mobileVertexBlend_2tex" or "mobileVertexBlend_3tex" and the shader will display correctly, with beast lightmaps or not.

see below:

I'll push this update out shortly.

15. ZemaChris

ZemaChris

Hi I'm working with Usersen above. We are working in iOS and we have switched over our build mode to match. Everything looks fine when we are in the editor, however when deploying to the device, the shader blends fine but there is no Unity BEAST lightmap data.

All of our other shaders are working fine and take lightmap data, only the terrain which we have used the mobile_VertexBlend_3tex_UNITY_lightmap_LMRGBM shader for is having issues.

Thanks,
    Chris.

16. reissgrant

reissgrant

@Chris: I sent you some new shaders. Please let me know how they work out for you!!

17. reissgrant

reissgrant

Update version 2 Almost ready for release!! (ready in 1 - 2 weeks)

You can now paint by texture instead of painting a color and wondering what texture that goes with.

Purchase includes all future updates.

18. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Nice... I have been looking at this for a while now...and been tempted to try it... now what are the requirements to set up meshes to work? I am mainly wanting to use this on mesh terrains...

and also could I paint using my own custom shader...?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  19. reissgrant

reissgrant

@Neptune_Imaging Yes, you just create your mesh in your modeling program and import it and start painting. And if you make any changes to the mesh later, you can copy the colors from the old mesh to the new mesh.

And yes, you can use your own shaders; I include desktop and mobile shaders as well.

20. reissgrant

reissgrant

In action:

21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am going to have to watch a video tutorial on this... this is too awesome. I am asking about shaders, because one of my models will have an existing normal map on it... how many layers of paint could I have :)?

22. reissgrant

reissgrant

@Neptune_Imaging: You can have 3 layers max on mobile and 4 layers max on desktop ;)

23. dasbin

dasbin

Just bought your Vertex Painter. A good tool, but a couple issues:

- It's *so slow* while painting, even on a very powerful system and on a reasonably-sized mesh (~1000 tris). I was previously using Simple Vertex Painter, which unfortunately was too buggy, but it didn't have have any speed issues while painting, so I can't believe that this is inherent in the process.

- It auto-adds a Mesh Collider for painting, but doesn't auto-remove it when done painting. This is a big bother for me, as I have to paint a whole bunch of objects, but don't want colliders on them. It would be much better if I didn't have to remember and double-check for removing the collider when done.

- I'm having issues painting on my imported FBX meshes. Can't figure out exactly what is wrong... basically, it just shows a painted color even when I'm using a texture-blend shader. The color shown is approximately the same colour as the texture I'm supposed to be blending in... but the texture itself doesn't appear at all. However, on Unity's built-in primatives, the same shader and process works fine. Obviously this is a problem with the way I am either saving or importing my FBX files. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong there?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  24. reissgrant

reissgrant

@dasbin

I'll troubleshoot the performance issue. I haven't had a problem with this in the past. I'll see if I can find the slowdown in the process.

As for the fbx issues, I'm not sure what would cause you to get different results with an imported FBX and a default mesh. I will look into it though.

25. dasbin

dasbin

Thanks for the reply.
    The FBX issue was my own stupid fault, lack of UV's on the model.
    Still would really like to ask for being able to auto-remove the collider.

Just FYI, with the latest version of Unity (3.5.6), Vertex Painter is throwing a bunch of warning related to obsolete functions.

26. reissgrant

reissgrant

Vertex Painter has been updated to version 1.1.9

Fixes include:

1.) LAG issue fixed, when painting in a crowded scene.
    2.) Maximum brush strength increased.
    3.) Included mobile Beast lightmap shaders.
    4.) Console warnings cleaned up.

Update version 2 Almost ready for release!! 11/21/2012

Original post updated

27. dasbin

dasbin

Cool. Thanks for the updates.

For those of us who have purchased through the asset store, how do we get the update (it isn't on the asset store, at least not yet).

Does this version yet include auto-removal of an auto-added collider?

28. reissgrant

reissgrant

The update was uploaded this morning and is pending approval; after approval you should receive an update notification from the asset store.

I'm sorry, the removal of the auto-added collider is not incorporated yet but is on the list!

29. BB88

BB88

Hey reissgrant,

The Vert Painter looks sweet, really interested in it but I have a couple of questions.

The first being will this work on Unity 4?
    Secondly I have seen a few complaints regarding working with meshes with higher tri counts. Is this still an issue? how many tris can I expect to push on a mesh I intend to paint?

Thanks!

30. reissgrant

reissgrant

Vertex Painter will work with Unity 4, but there are currently no shaders for Directx 11 so you may get weird results if trying to use old bundled shaders with dx11.

The lag associated with painting has been fixed in the latest version which I'm waiting to be approved on the asset store.

Any other questions please let me know!

31. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Could you explain your pricing as it is confusing me (and perhaps others?) On your website it costs $20 or $50 and in the Asset Store it costs $30?

32. reissgrant

reissgrant

The $20 is meant for indie developers, and with the asset store taking 20% of every sale, it is priced $20 + 20% = $30.

The $50 is for larger studios who will likely be using it for multiple people so I include that option.

Sorry for the confusion.

33. dasbin

dasbin

Hi,

The latest version on the Asset Store is still only 1.1.7.
    Any news on the approval process? It's been a month and a half.

34. reissgrant

reissgrant

I still have not heard an approval or denial, so am not sure what the holdup is. If you forward me your purchase information I will send you a download link.

35. Akrucious

Akrucious

Is there any way to paint a texture on multiple meshes at once? Also, is there any way to apply normal mapping? Also, will purchasing this give me access to free updates?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  36. reissgrant

reissgrant

Currently it does not allow multiple mesh painting. Yes, normal mapping can be used through shaders and some are included. Purchasing will include all updates.

Thanks!

37. reissgrant

reissgrant

I still have not heard from Unity about approving my new version with the lag fix, so if you are waiting for that please pm me your purchase information so I can get it to you.

38. abitofjohn

abitofjohn

Hi, probably a question that's already been answered (but I can;t find it). I have created a scene of a room, imported it, painted the floor mesh but have realized I need to change the floor poly's. I think Vertex painter creates a copy of the floor model I was painting as when I update my model the floor stays the same. How can I clear it? The only way I know how is to delete the whole room and dragging it back into the scene again.

Many thanks.

39. Tomas-CB

Tomas-CB

Never mind...reason why its good on mac and not on PC is because OpenGL. Unity on mac is this by default, but on PC it must by activated by adding this into console before start: -force-opengl

40. bigzer

bigzer

Hi,

Any chance to see the DX11 shaders in the next update?

Would be greatly appreciated :)

41. reissgrant

reissgrant

Vertex Painter 2 is now released!

http://reissgrant.com/VertexPainter2.html

Vertex Painter has been updated to version 2.0

Updates include:

1.) Paint by texture (Paint by color is still available in advanced roll-out)
    2.) New Mobile shaders allow 4 texture blend and two bump map blend (OpenGL ES2 compatible only)
    3.) Hide the mesh wireframe while painting
    4.) Performance increased.

You can now paint by texture instead of painting a color and wondering what texture that goes with.

Purchase includes all future updates.
    Future updates will include dx11 shaders as well

42. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

This is exactly what i have been looking for.
    I followed your signature:

"No more Tiled Textures! - Vertex Painter with blend shaders for painting meshes
    [ Vertex Painter 2 released! ] with desktop and mobile blend shaders: http://reissgrant.com/VertexPainter2.html
    Also Available on the Unity Asset Store --> Click Here <--"

and purchased it but it says version 1.1.9.
    Am I missing something?

Edit:
    Ok i see. It looks like version 2 is a separate product? A little confusing since it says "also in the asset store" and only one product exists in the asset store. I guess i just purchased something i didn't need. Oh well, Not the end of the world but, is the version with texture painting heading to the asset store anytime soon?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  43. gamer13

gamer13

Now can you use your own shaders besides the ones provided by Vertex Painter? The reason I ask is because I'm using the Marmoset Sky Shop HDR shaders.

Thanks in advance.

44. reissgrant

reissgrant

Vertex Painter 2 is currently awaiting approval for the asset store. :)

gamer13, yes you can use your own shaders!

45. lemures

lemures

Is it possible to make vertex Painter 2 check you geo for existing vertex paint rather than obliterating it when you just want to edit the existing info? copying is ok but not good for large number of assets that may receive touch ups.

46. reissgrant

reissgrant

Yes, if there is already a vp shader attached to the object, then the colors will remain. My suggestion would be to apply a vertex painter shader to the object before locking it for painting.

The tool checks if a vp shader is present and if not, the tool assumes that the colors are default (1,1,1,1) which displays a blown-out mess of texture blending. So, when locking an object, all colors are set to (1,0,0,0) to ensure only one texture comes through rather than the blown-out mess.

47. bpears

bpears

Does the mesh verts need to be symmetrical/uniform for a nice texture paint? As in, some triangles are larger, some are smaller on the mesh.

48. EhsanNeo

EhsanNeo

Hi.

I have the latest version and I have 3 problem with the tool (I use Custom shaders)

1: After painting the object if I minimize unity the vertices painting resets for 1 time ! after that 1 time every is thing ok after minimize or anything

2 : I have major problems with collider detection of the brush. it detects every collider in the scene so in a crowded scene i have hard time I have to zoom alot I was thinking why not only the target object collider ?

3: In the previous versions we had the R G B A channels as buttons so I could select any of them easily and fast but now I always have to open the color pallet which is kinda annoying :p

Thanks for the great tool :razz:

49. reissgrant

reissgrant

They don't necessarily need to be but the texture transitions can look better if there are more vertices to blend with and / or symmetrical.

50. reissgrant

reissgrant

Sorry to hear about these bugs, I will look into them and get back to you ;)