Search Unity

Version Control Hosting for Large Projects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kenlem, Sep 9, 2014.

1. kenlem

kenlem

I currently am using BitBucket for source code control but I'm bumping up against the 2G disk quota. The do allow the repository to still be used beyond that limit but cloning and downloading are disable.

Are there any free or paid version control solutions that have more disk space for projects?

Thanks.

User10101 and btiger19 like this.
  2. Korindian

Korindian

If you're using Git, you can try Visual Studio Online. Last I checked, they had unlimited private repos with unlimited disk space for free up to 5 users.

You can also try Plastic SCM's free community edition version control system with your own server, or with an Amazon EC2 server (free for one year), or an Azure VM server (free for 3 years with a BizSpark membership). I ended up going with Plastic SCM and an Azure VM server, as I liked Plastic SCM's GUI.

User10101 likes this.
  3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm using Unfuddle at the moment. $3/user + $3/project monthly for 50gb of space. Only been using it for a month or so, but seems pretty solid so far.

User10101 likes this.
  4. Meltdown

Meltdown

Git hub

User10101 likes this.
  5. orb

orb

I run my own GitLab instance. My space is only limited by the server drives. If you have a VPS with decent amounts of space, that's an option worth considering.

User10101 likes this.
  6. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

+1 Unfuddle user here. They've been a little incompetent getting started - my account quotas weren't correctly set up at first - but their support resolved it after a few days.

User10101 likes this.
  7. THoeppner

THoeppner

I'm using a Subversion server from SaaS Secure (http://de.saas-secure.com/svn-hosting/index.html) at the moment.

Till now I'm really satisfied with it. No problems with responsibility or similars.

If you work alone on the project and have an old PC you can build your own VCS-server with it. Than you don't have any problems with disk spaces.

User10101 likes this.
  8. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

I use SVN on a dreamhost provider. Not ultra fast but Unlimited space.

User10101 likes this.
  9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Though I'd still want some sort of remote backup for any serious project.

User10101 likes this.
  10. kenlem

kenlem

I thought unfuddle still had the 2GB per repository?

User10101 likes this.
  11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Not according to their front page.

Though if there's a clause that it's split into 2gb repos or something I wouldn't have run into it, since my project's nowhere near that anyway.

User10101 likes this.
  12. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

This is the way to go in my opinion if you have 5 users or less. The plan you'd want to look at is the "Basic" plan which is free. Unlimited private repos, no size cap on your repos, and since you're already using Git, Visual Studio Online lets you use Git or TFS services so you would just need to move your repository over and have everyone use the same tools they're already using.

Here's the basic plan details:
    http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-online-basic-vs

I should also add that I like the planning capabilities using their Agile templates. You can decide what workflow you want for your tasks and set them up nicely like:

Project
    -- > Backlog
    ---------> Backlog Story
    -- > Iteration
    ----------> User Story
    -----------------> Dev Task
    -----------------> QA Task
    -----------------> Bugs

13. kenlem

kenlem

My project only started to get large once I added a bunch of 3rd party assets. Each one tends to have lots of extra example scenes and resources that aren't really necessary.

User10101 likes this.
  14. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

That's what the checkboxes are for. :) You don't have to import all the extra stuff

15. kenlem

kenlem

I understand. Some assets separate their demo resources better than others.

User10101 likes this.
  16. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

This is very true

User10101 likes this.
  17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Dunno which account type you have but a buddy of mine had his account suspended for using it as a repo. For the website account, "unlimited" doesn't apply to vcs/file storage.

User10101 likes this.
  18. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Shared hosting.
    The only issue I got is when I got big files on the web side (and not on the SVN). They send me an email asking me to remove them.

User10101 likes this.
  19. BigToe

BigToe

I was using Unity's Asset Server but switched to Perforce for the CloudBuild service. Perforce is free up to 20 users so I set up a Perforce server on a Digital Ocean droplet for $5/month and it has been working fairly well. (Although being new to Perforce I thought it was a pain to set up)

I know that https://www.assembla.com hosts Perforce servers but it is about $24/month.

User10101 likes this.
  20. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Perforce is the fastest, but have the worst user interface you can find and by far.
    If you don't have more than 100 users, you better avoid it !

User10101 likes this.
  21. Teo

Teo

We use GIT from a few years, and we never looked at any other solution, because works:) Also, we have a dedicated server only for this. Not using other online storage solution. Occasionally we use Mercurial. CVS/SVN are out of discussion.

User10101 likes this.
  22. Wom

Wom

I don't have any answers, but can I ask: how are you finding the actual performance of running a 2GB repo stored on Bitbucket?

I wouldn't think either Git or Mercurial would have too much problem, since they should only be shifting changes up and down the wire - but then again, they're both pretty notorious for not dealing well with binary files. Other than the size limit you're hitting now, have you been having any hassles?

I'm using Hg on BitBucket myself - but I'm just a hobbyist doing mostly coding stuff at the moment - not much in the way of binary assets yet. It works well for me at the moment, but my repo is a tiny 40M in size.

I also use a bunch of 3rd party assets (NGUI, SpaceUnity, etc.) - but I go totally OCD with pulling them apart to only use the bits I want. Space Unity, for example, is 700M on disk with a full import, but I trim that down to using only 25M in my actual working directory.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    User10101 likes this.
  23. Meltdown

Meltdown

We've worked on multi-GB Unity projects extensively using Git and Github as a host and have never had any problems with binary files. GitHub has an individual file size limit of 100MB. Anything under that, binary or not, works fine.

User10101 likes this.
  24. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

When people say "works fine", what's the use case? How often are those files changed? Do you often navigate between different versions of those files? How much do those files impact the size of the repository? How many of those files do you typically have in a repo?

User10101 likes this.
  25. CodeMonke234

CodeMonke234

IMHO

The default Git configuration uses up too much space for the local repository for projects with lots of binary assets that change frequently...
    There are ways around this, but it is a pain.

Perforce is probably better for game dev and pretty easy to set up....but their ui and workflow is much more annoying than git.

If it is just 1 or 2 people on a small project use git.

Otherwise perforce is probably worth the pain....

User10101 likes this.
  26. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Works fine for us (40ish active users). Many files changed daily (hundreds). Often navigate between versions. Dunno about the size of the repo. We maintain separate projects for assets and code. The main game branch is about 1gb and about 10k files, but that is almost exclusively code. Assets/content are around 10gb / 20k files. We also heavily branch. At any given point there are a 3-4 main (version) branches and hundreds of individual (feature) branches. In general we have no problems, at least any that aren't related to human error. Though our source (art) files are maintained in a SVN repo. (90gb - 10k). PSD/Maya/Ref/WIP/etc. Its SVN largely for legacy and logistical reasons.

Personally I wasn't a fan of GIT in the beginning, mostly just because I was used to SVN and been using it for years. but I got over it. We used have weird SVN bugs, but really have encountered any with GIT so far.

27. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Neat. I didn't actually expect it to scale that well. I've certainly had no issues with Git, but haven't used it with more than half a dozen or so people on a team.

User10101 likes this.
  28. makoto_snkw

makoto_snkw

I use bitbucket as well.
    And have the same issue of reaching up the 2GB space limit.

From my end side, I think I'll clean my Assets folder instead.

User10101 likes this.
  29. hvirtual

hvirtual

I've been using BitBucket too but hit the 2GB limit. I've been looking for other solutions.

Kiln is free for up to 2 users and provide unlimited sized repositories.

Has anyone used Beanstalk?

30. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Visual Studio Online is free, up to something like 5 users and no repo size limit (and no limit on number of projects).

tango209 and luispedrofonseca like this.
  31. opsive

opsive

To add to that, they also have really good support. I moved my projects from BitBucket to Visual Studio Online because of the 2GB limit and was having a problem uploading a close to 2GB project for the first time. I submitted a support ticket and they fixed it within a couple of business days. I was surprised that they acted so fast for a free customer.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  32. hvirtual

hvirtual

Do you use TortoiseHg or SourceTree with it? Or is the UI part of the Visual Studio Online?

33. opsive

opsive

I use SourceTree. You can also hook it up to Team Explorer within Visual Studio but I haven't tested that part out. SourceTree works great.

34. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Technically it also supports Git. I use the tools that are built into Visual Studio (Team Explorer and the TFS Power Tools addon), but you can do quite a bit with the web UI as well. I'm not familiar with SourceTree. Visual Studio also supports native Git integration which I believe can also be used with Visual Studio Online (use Visual Studio Community Edition which is essentially VS Pro and supports plugins).

35. opsive

opsive

When I connected to Visual Studio Online with Team Explorer it only showed the code files from my project and not the other assets (models, textures, etc). I may not have played around with it enough, but is there a way to get it to list everything within the repository?

36. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

yes. Click the Team Explorer tab and click the Source Control Explorer button. You're probably just looking at the project in solution explorer. You'll want to look in Source Control Explorer to see the other stuff. If you don't see it, then those files probably haven't been added to source control. That's the drawback of using VSO for Unity is that there is no integrated tooling for the Unity Editor so making sure the correct files are included (and the ones you don't want are excluded) is a bit of a manual process.

opsive likes this.
  37. Meltdown

Meltdown

Use SmartGit guys, best Git GUI out there in my opinion.

38. BFGames

BFGames

We have been using beanstalk for more than a year now (SVN), its awesome because it also integrates with our Slack channel! cannot complain as i never had any problems with their servers.

39. Meltdown

Meltdown

You can setup nearly any source control system to integrate with Slack.