Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Vehicle physics and VR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by dotcommer, Aug 27, 2016.

1. dotcommer

dotcommer

Anyone have experience with piloting a vehicle in VR? I'm thinking about ways to interact with a hoverbike and wondering what might be a good mechanic for steering. Would it be possible to get the tilt of the user when they're piloting to calculate banking? Also an issue with steering. Are hands locked to the handlebars at all times, or could they be free-floating and you can grab them independently, twisting to steer? Not to mention how is the player parented to the bike? Are we locked onto it like a camera bolted to it, or does the head remain free-floating and the vehicle rotates underneath?

Some of the most fun I've had with video game vehicles came from riding the mongoose and warthog in Halo.
    Just throwing some ideas around to see if anyone has any thoughts on them and how to implement them.

2. Edy

Edy

Hi, I've enabled VR in some of the demos of Vehicle Physics Pro:

http://vehiclephysics.com/about/demos/

I've just ensured the camera gameobject to be child of the gameobject that moves the head as for the inertia. Thus, the VR view experiences the physical inertia of the vehicle. Personally, I think the feeling is rather good. Feel free to try the demos and let me know what do you think.