Search Unity

UWP Game Crashes upon Loading a New Scene. in Master Configuration.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Onotseike, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Onotseike

Onotseike

Hi All,
    I have an issue. Every time I build for Master Configuration ad run my game, It crashes once i try to load a new scene after launching the game. the build file errors are attached and also a screenshot of my Visual Studio Editor is shown below.

Attached Files:

2. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Can you try enabling .NET Native in Debug configuration, code optimization too. See if it crashes there as well. Debug should give more information.

3. Onotseike

Onotseike

Hi Aurimas,
    I did as you suggested and this is the result

Attached Files:

4. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

How does it crash? Can you obtain a stack trace from the moment it happens?

5. Onotseike

Onotseike

Hi Aurimas,
    Once I get the game going in debug or master's configuration mode, with the .NET Native and code optimization checked, it works and I begin to see numerous " Skipped loading symbols. Module is native, and native debugging is currently disabled." prior to the Splash Screen of Unity showing. The first scene gets loaded, I click a button to Load the next level. It begins the loading process then crashes. The Screenshot attached shows the error.

Attached Files:

6. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

In Visual Studio you have the output tab open at the bottom (your screenshot). There is "Call Stack" tab in that same pane, can you provide the contents of it?

7. Onotseike

Onotseike

Hi Aurimas,
    The Details of the Call Stack are as follow:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. >    System.Private.CoreLib.dll!System.RuntimeExceptionHelpers.FailFast(string message, System.Exception exception, System.RuntimeExceptionHelpers.RhFailFastReason reason, System.IntPtr pExContext) Line 206    C#
    2.      System.Private.CoreLib.dll!System.RuntimeExceptionHelpers.RuntimeFailFast(System.RuntimeExceptionHelpers.RhFailFastReason reason, System.Exception exception, System.IntPtr pExContext) Line 173    C#
    3.      [Native to Managed Transition]  
    4.      [Managed to Native Transition]  
    5.      ColorEscape.McgInterop.dll!McgInterop.UnityEngineDelegates_dll.TerrainData_CUSTOM_GetAlphamaps(System.IntPtr param_0, int param_1, int param_2, int param_3, int param_4) Line 68318    C#
    6.      UnityEngineProxy.dll!UnityEngineProxy.InternalCalls.TerrainData_CUSTOM_GetAlphamaps(object self, int x, int y, int width, int height) Line 36731    C#
    7.      Assembly-CSharp.dll!Footsteps.SurfaceManager.GetTerrainTextureMix(UnityEngine.Vector3 worldPos, UnityEngine.TerrainData terrainData, UnityEngine.Vector3 terrainPos)    Unknown
    8.      Assembly-CSharp.dll!Footsteps.SurfaceManager.GetSurfaceIndex(UnityEngine.Collider col, UnityEngine.Vector3 worldPos)    Unknown
    9.      Assembly-CSharp.dll!Footsteps.SurfaceManager.GetFootstep(UnityEngine.Collider groundCollider, UnityEngine.Vector3 worldPosition)    Unknown
    10.      Assembly-CSharp.dll!Footsteps.CharacterFootsteps.PlayLandSound()    Unknown
    11.      Assembly-CSharp.dll!Footsteps.CharacterFootsteps.CheckGround()    Unknown
    12.      Assembly-CSharp.dll!Footsteps.CharacterFootsteps.Update()    Unknown
    13.      Assembly-CSharp.dll!Footsteps.CharacterFootsteps.$Invoke12Update(long instance, long* args)    Unknown
    14.      UnityEngine.dll!UnityEngine.Internal.$MethodUtility.InvokeMethod(long instance, long* args, System.IntPtr method)    Unknown
    15.      WinRTBridge.dll!WinRTBridge.MethodTools.CreateInstanceAndInvokeDefaultConstructorDelegate.InvokeOpenStaticThunk(System.IntPtr managedHandle, System.UIntPtr argument, long* exception)    C#
    16.      ColorEscape.McgInterop.dll!WinRTBridge.MethodTools_InvokeMethodDelegate__WinRTBridge__Impl.ReverseDelegateStub(long unsafe_instance, long* unsafe_args, System.IntPtr unsafe_methodPtr) Line 76919    C#
    17.      [Native to Managed Transition]  

Attached Files:

8. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

I am sorry to say, but this is a known bug, but sadly it's on Microsoft side. The game will probably runs fine if you disable .NET compilation in VS project settings. If this is really true... You need to wait until MS fixes this, hopefully with VS 2015 Update 3. At the current day, there's no known workarounds for this bug.

9. Onotseike

Onotseike

Hi Tomas1856,
    this is a real bummer. Is it possible to build the game as an exe file and convert it using Microsoft Project Centennial??

10. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

No idea actually, you can try. Alternatively, you could try using il2cpp if your target is UWP.

11. Onotseike

Onotseike

Thanks I will try the il2cpp. any pointers for that??

12. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

13. TheRykrsmith

TheRykrsmith

I encountered a similar error over the past week. I thought it was being caused when the Scene Manager loaded a new level. This turned out to be and not be the case.

After the SceneManager loads the new level, but before it displays the new level it Destroys all the game objects in the scene it is leaving. However it appears the .Net Native does not properly Destroy the Gameobjects.

In my case I had 2 Tweens on 2 Buttons under the Canvas. I removed the scenemanager and performed a destroy on the Canvas object and the same error occurred.

So my first attempt was to Manually destroy each object in the canvas/Panel. This caused the error to go away. Even after I re-added the Scenemanager.

Upon further inspection I saw the Tween and manually killed the tween prior to the Scenemanager load. I then removed all of the manual destroy calls, but kept the Tween Kill calls prior to the scene manager load and I did not encounter the error.

A side note I have had tweens that were effecting the scale of the objects that did not cause the problem.

The error for me appears to happen when I was effecting the "fade"/Transparency of the object.

**UPDATE** The errors root cause appears to have came from creating the Tween(Component) in the START() function of a script. When I placed the same Component on the game Object in the Unity Editor the .Net Native was able to properly Destroy them, however if it was created/added in the script .Net native was not able to handle it **ENDUPDATE**

So to recap. To help debug this issue Comment out the SceneManager, Then you need to go each item and manually destroy each game object to find out which object is causing the issue. Once you find it beak the object down to fine out which sub gameobject is causing the issue. if you can find the specific object you can usually manually destroy the object to "work around" the issue.

Hope this helps for anyone who encounters this issue.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    Onotseike likes this.
  14. sevensails

sevensails

Yes... I have the exact same problem, and it happens because of DOTween.

It seems DOTween uses some kind of Try Except to Kill Active Tweens when the Current Scene Change, but this seems to be ignored when using .NET Master Configuration.

To solve this problem, You can do everything you said, or to make it more easy, just ADD an OnDisabled event to any GameObject on Scene with DOTween.KillAll(true).

15. Onotseike

Onotseike

Hi Tomas,
    I was checking through the release notes for VS2015 Update 3 and I did not see anything relating to the issue. Do you know if they have addressed the issue.

16. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

I'm affraid Microsoft considers this "by design". We're trying to get the idea, how widespread the issue is, because the fix on Unity side is non-trivial and would probably affect performance a bit.

17. Onotseike

Onotseike

So, does that mean Unity will carry out the fix and warn developers on it. Or has Unity already carried out the fix??

18. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

The issue occurs when you have managed code calling into native code calling back to managed code and the latter throwing exception out through native land. Currently we are investigating how widespread the issue is and how hard to avoid. So far we only got a couple of complaints about it and it tends to be possible avoid this crash by preventing exceptions from being thrown (they often are indication that something is not entirely correct with your project).

Simply put, we will only fix this bug if it's obvious we have to, because like I said, it's not easy and will probably have negative affect on general scripting performance.

19. AncientLotus

AncientLotus

We are hitting this as well. It seems to have started happening only recently for our project.
    Is there a known workaround for this?

20. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Got the callstack?

21. AncientLotus

AncientLotus

Sure.

Attached Files:

22. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Do you have source code for dottween.dll? It's calling .alpha property on a null CanvasGroup. The workaround would be to check if it's not null before calling it.

23. AncientLotus

AncientLotus

No, we don't have the source code for this DLL.
    It also doesn't sound reasonable that we can avoid all exceptions entirely, something is always bound to fail. We always need to be able to catch the exceptions to get useful telemetry and crash reports that help us fix the problems.

Why has this only started happening recently? Is it due to the latest Unity build in particular?

24. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It is always been a problem since introduction of .NET native (that means UWP apps). It does not allow throwing exceptions from native code for managed code to catch. So while normal exceptions are okay and they work, as soon as the engine needs to throw from native side, it will produce a crash when .NET Native is enabled.

25. Maisey

Maisey

Actually the source is available on GitHub (by the creator), see: https://github.com/Demigiant/dotween.

I'm actually using the source to try to build using .NET Native, but with no luck so far. The errors are..."hard-interpreted". Hopefully someone can get this to work?

26. Ogien

Ogien

I just ran into this, is there a fix or workaround?

27. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yeah we fixed it. What version are you on?

28. Ogien

Ogien

Oh thank god, I am currently on 2017.2.1 what version should I upgrade too?

29. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I don't think you are facing the same issue then. It has been fixed in Unity 5.5 back in October, 2016. Please create a new thread so we could discuss your issue there.

30. Ogien

Ogien

Oh that is too bad, my issue behaves the same, it works in Debug mode but in Master one of my scenes crashes on load. There are no errors in the Editor or in Debug mode. Having a hard time identifying the problem :(

31. Ogien

Ogien

I was able to get my game to work by updating Unity to 2017.3 and then choosing il2cpp instead of .NET. That solved the issue, not sure if it was the newest version of or the il2cpp but it works either way.

32. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

IL2CPP doesn't suffer from .NET issues, since it's a totally different runtime.