Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

uSkyPro – Precomputed Atmospheric Scattering [2.0 Beta]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Luckymouse, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

I just submitted the latest uSky 1.1.9 and uSkyPro Beta 2. It should be available in store soon,

Here is the ChangeLog detail:

uSky 1.1.9:
    =======================
    - Reduced some shader Keywords. Now it uses total 3 keywords.
    - Fixed the uSkyFog with the "Skybox HDR" issue. Now it renders correctly on both gamma and linear color space.
    uSkyFog bug fixed.jpg

uSkyPro Beta 2 :
    =======================

- Added new user-interface with foldable group settings.
    (New Interface is based on Unity "Cinematic Image Effects" PropertyDrawer script)
    uSkyPro_Interface.jpg

- Added new script uSkyTimeline which combined the final "Timeline" control with "PlayCycle" in a single component.
    Renamed the "North Pole Offset" parameter to "Sun Equator Offset".
    Now it allows user to change the Timeline even when time cycle is playing at runtime.
    uSkyPro_Timeline.gif

uSkyPro_PlayCycle.gif

- Rewritten the internal logic of the uSkyPro and more polished version. Now it is using unity event which acting like a states machine. This new logic is fairly fast, responsive, more stable and running lower update behaviour on cpu.

- Now most of the uSky components allow to work independently by it-self. User can decide which component to add or remove with GameObject. Ideally this will be easier to intergrade uSkyPro with other third-party or custom weather asset. Added the example scenes in new "Alternative Component Setup Demo" folder.
    [EDIT]

- Added a new and improved version of "uSkyReflectionProbeUpdater" script for Reflection Probe update control .
    This new script does not require to enable "Auto" toggle (in Lighting Window) anymore for Reflection Probe sequence update in both editor and runtime.

- Added a new uSkyFogGradient script for unity built-in fog in Lighting window. It supports on both Forward and Deferred path. (It provides the same function as "uFogGradient" script in previous uSky 1.x.)

- Changed and simplified uSkyAtmosphericScattering script:
    Removed "Horizion Fixup" parameter. Now hard coded "#define HORIZON_FIX" in the "Atmosphere.cginc" file which default is "ON".
    Removed "Shadow Distance" parameter and "Use Shadow Distance Scale" toggle. Both of them are not needed anymore.
    User can apply also an optional "ShadowDistanceHelper" script for alternative shadow distance control.
    uSkyPro_AtmosphericScattering_Settings.jpg

- Fixed the atmospheric occlusion with "out of the shadow range" issue with better solution. (Previous was using the Shadow Distance Scale solution).
    Now the atmospheric occlusion effect will fade out nicely when camera is out side the realtime shadow distance range.
    Also cleared occlusion shader compiler warning on d3d11.

- Reduced some shader Keywords.
    Now uSkyPro Beta uses arround 5 keywords and they share some Keywords with uSky 1.x to keep the lower usage in total keywords if user installed both version in the project. So total for both version of uSky use arround 7 keywords now.
    Note: The total keywords amount may change in future version.

- Changed the sun spot rendering in uSkyboxPro shader, the sun brightness will always higher than 1 which independent by HDR Mode setting. It should get better result for bloom image effect.

- Fixed and cleared the "uSkySun" and "uSkyMoon" editor warning when built the project.

- Added [ImageEffectAllowedInSceneView] attribute in Atmospheric Scattering Image Effects which introduced in Unity 5.4 (Beta 5).
    This will copy the Image effect from the main camera onto the Scene View camera that allows to view the Image Effects directly inside editor Scene View window.

- Re-organized the uSkyPro menu and easily to find all the uSkyPro components now.

- Improved over all performance compares with previous beta version.

====================================================================
    Hows about the new clouds system for uSkyPro?
    The clouds system is still working in progress. It may need more time to finish.

For now I update the rest of the asset

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  2. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Thanks for the update. Cool stuff.

I would like to have the scattering effect or clouds as standalone to the cam. (Pro) would that be possible with the new changes you will provide ?
    I require a realtime update unfortunately and not this 4 seconds update. :-/

3. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

I'm not sure if i understand your question correctly here. Do you mean the camera of the reflection probe can also capture the scattering effect or clouds (that you mentioned in earlier post)? Or do you mean the "cam" as the "Main Camera" in the scene?
    If you set the "Stepped Interval" to 0. It will reatime update the timeline and reflection probe every frame.

4. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

For example, does that mean I'm able to use scattering effect or clouds, alone on my cam, because your talking about -uSky components allow to work independently-

5. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

"Most" of the them are independent, but those two are the exception. They both need the precomputed data that generate from uSkyPro. Here is the component list:
    uSkyPro Components list.png
    Updated this list in the earlier post too.

6. SAOTA

SAOTA

Looks awesome LuckyMouse!!

Luckymouse likes this.
  7. magique

magique

I just bought this and am seeing some issues and have questions. I dragged the uSky prefab to my scene and added the uSkyAtmosphericScattering script to it. Then I added uSkySun to my directional light. When I play, I have fully lit terrain, but a starry night sky. Even if I drag the slider during play mode it's always a starry night sky. But I can clearly see the landscape changing to the correct time of day yet the sky remains stars. However, I can clearly see the correct day/night sky transitions in the scene editor if I drag the slider. In fact, even in play mode, the scene window shows the correct sky, but not the game window.

Two questions. The uSkyPro is on Layer 8, but I see no documentation stating why it's on that layer or what that layer should be called. Also, the uSkyPro_Setup document says to drag the uSkyAtmosphericDeferred script to the main camera. However, I'm in Forward rendering mode. Does this only support Deferred mode?

EDIT: I should add that I've just tried the 1.x version and it doesn't have this issue. It's only the pro beta.

EDIT 2: Actually, I found that even 1.x wasn't working in my own scenes. I found the problem though. My camera was set to Clear Flags as Color. When I changed to Skybox, it worked.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  8. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Hi Lucky:
    I wanted to share a video I made where I integrated uSky with my asset ZoneController:

Luckymouse likes this.
  9. magique

magique

So far this is working very well for me. The only thing that didn't seem to be working was when I added the Unity Sun Shafts script to my camera. But I saw an earlier post with a modified SunShafts.cs script so I'll give that a try tonight. I have been using Time of Day, but the Mie/Raleigh scattering for that asset was not working correctly and was causing a massive 10 fps performance hit on the Wii U. With your 1.x Mie/Raleigh on, I saw a reasonable performance impact that I believe is acceptable. I haven't properly tested the beta pro yet on the Wii U, but will do that soon. As it stands though, 1.x will probably meet my needs as-is.

10. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Hi magique, Thanks for using uSky.
    1) The uSkyPro prefab should be on Default layer and not the layer 8. It does not rely on any specified layer, so no documentation needed for that.
    Did you change the layer number of a GameObject which attached uSkyPro ?

2) I noticed that the name of "uSkyAtmosphericDeferred" is little confusing, sorry about that. I believe I should change that.
    As far as I know the uSky Atmospheric Scattering is working on both Forward and Deferred.

I was just wondering why you will came up the stars issue on your scene.
    Yes, the camera Clear Flags have to set to Skybox. The stars is using the skybox alpha channel to do the fade in and out during the cycle. Glad that you figured it out.:)

Please lets me after you tested if uSky1.X or uSkyPro have any issue on Wii U platform.

11. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Thanks JohnRossitter, nice video.

12. magique

magique

I have no idea how this happened so I'll just change it back to default.

So far 1.x works perfectly on Wii U. I did try briefly with Pro, but that was when I had the starry sky issue. However, pro was running horribly slow on Wii U using the sample setup from the demo scene. I was getting only about 28-30 fps whereas I can get 54 fps for 1.x version in same scene. I will try again tonight and try with different settings.

Great.

13. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Atmospheric scattering needs some precompute from what I read here, so I guess it ignores dynamic objects? If so , how it handles dynamic gos so they won't look 'out of context'. WP with some dyn objects would be nice. And do I need any changes in for example standard shader to make it work with your fog/atmosphere effect?

14. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

uSky v1.1.9 and uSkyPro Beta 2 on the Asset Store now.

15. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

I did not know the Pro is running that slow on Wii console, not sure whats wrong yet. As the simple demo scene that runs really fine on my old macbook. You may try the latest uSkyPro Beta 2 too.

I'm working on the mobile version of the skybox shader. So far i got already 4x faster from the original skybox shader. It runs 56- 60fps on original iPhone 5. So Wii U should get much better performance than iPhone 5. Anyway I will include that mobile shader in next version.

The "precompute" data is for the sky color and atmospheric scattering rendering, so it doesn't need to calculate that in realtime and basically it is just a "look up table" texture of the entire atmosphere data, The precomputed data has nothing to do with the either dynamic or static game objects in the scene.

The uSky skybox works just like the unity built-in skybox and atmospheric scattering is an image effects for the camera.

No, since atmospheric scattering is just an image effects, so you don't need to change any shader in your project.

Roni92pl likes this.
  16. magique

magique

I haven't tried new version yet, but did try to retest last version, but was having many issues even on dev station. Lots of weird things happening and it didn't work with sun shafts. I will try latest version and report back when I have results.

17. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Did you use the sunshafts script that supports directional light that i modified earlier? (Download link here)

In general the sunshafts is really are separated unity image effect. It is not really related to uSky itself. Most of the problem is that the original sunshafts supports only the pivot position (world position) and it does not match up the position of sun spot on skybox. Since uSky is using just directional light which modified version of sunshafts will support that.

Sorry for the uSkyPro issue on Wii :confused:, looking forward of your issue report.

18. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Here is some lighting issue of atmospheric scattering in current Beta 2:

Due to the atmospheric scattering has it own tonemapping applied that is reason it get washed-out the diffuse/specular lighting. This is still a bug in current Beta 2 that i aware of. I need to re-work on the tonemapping filtering and fix this issue.

uSkyPro_Beta_Lighting_issue.jpg

For now there are some setting can help:
    1) QualitySetting > Color Space > Linear
    2) Enable the HDR in Main Camera. (This setting seems helped a lot of this grey issue)
    3) Enable the HDRMode in uSkyPro. (optional)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  19. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Great, thanks for answer mate.

20. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Thank you Sir! Sky is soo beautiful. Love the new fog too :D . I just have a problem with Tranparent Shaders with fog, im using uber shader and it doesn't blend with the Transparent shader. Do you know a fix or shall I ask Uber Dev? Thanx Again Man, I cant wait for 2.0 :D

21. magique

magique

Yes, I used that. It worked OK for 1.x, but not pro. I will test again with latest version today sometime.

22. magique

magique

I've been testing with latest beta. Here some findings.

1. I get about a 5 fps drop using pro compared to standard.
    2. Sun position is completely different even at same time of day
    3. Sun shafts with provided script work fine with standard, but not so well with pro. For example, you can see them when sun is lower in the sky, but there are artifacts. And when sun is high in sky, they don't seem to show at all.

I'll stick with standard for now, but will continue to test newer pro betas as they arrive.

23. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Luckymouse,
    I tested for the fist time uSkyPro 2 in my oldest test pc (XP, dx9, Unity 5.2.4... uSky1 works very fast) and i got a violet screen and this error on play:
    Cheers
    Max

Edit:
    curiously uSkyboxPro.shader does not report errors to the console but the uSkyboxPro material is violet... seem like a Unity bug.

Edit2:
    I tried to reimport the shader and i found a console error :
    It should be this issue

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  24. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

It is a common issue of the transparent shader does not work well for image effects that requires the z-dept information, because most of the transparent shader does not enable the "ZWrite". It is not a bug.
    In this case, you may need to use the uSkyFogGradient and use unity fog for that. However that gradient color may not totally match the atmospheric scattering color, but you can manual adjust that to get close to it.

You can also contact Uber developer and ask him how to make transparent shader works with something like unity "GlobalFog" image effect. In general this issue will happen with built-in unity image effects too.

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  25. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

1. I need some more info about your current test scene. Did you test it with your own scene, or the "uSkyPro Basic Scene"? Did you use the uSkyPro atmosphere scattering image effects in your scene?
    If you just tested with the uSkyPro basic scene with 5 fps drop, that should not happen and seems there are some issue with Pro shader. I need to figure out whats wrong with it. Otherwise if you use atmosphere scattering that I can understand, because it uses more complicated shader. I will do some more the optimisation with that later.

2. Ah. I changed the "Default" type "sun direction" coordinate with the Pro and [EDIT] subtracted extra "-90" with "sun direction" slider value. Sorry for the confusion. Since Pro added a Realistic type control, that is the reason i changed that. It will match better for sun position when user switch between "Default" and "Realistic" type in Pro. So it should get better idea for user that they can think of the +X world coordinate is always the East side of the world, and -X is West side vice-versa
    If you [EDIT] add "90" with Pro "sun direction" slider value and the sun will match with the same as standard uSky 1.X sun position.

3. I believe the mie scattering of Pro produces more brightness at the horizon area. Ironically the mie scattering of Pro is more physically accurate than standard uSky 1.x. However unity sun shafts doesn't filter the brightness too well for that and get the shaft bloom out at the horizon area, so it seems the shafts is at lower position than the sun.
    For now don't worry about that too much I will include the new "uSky LightShafts" when uSkyPro released, that should work well with the Pro.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  26. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Hi Max, If it is the case from the link you provided, can you test uSkyPro in unity 5.3 on your computer. Because Aras answered in Issue tracker that has been fixed in unity 5.3.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  27. magique

magique

It was my own scene and I don't think I had atmospheric scattering on because I didn't realize until later that I needed to add that script myself.

Thanks.

Excellent.

28. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

@ magique
    About the "sun direction" I mentioned an oppositely value in previous post, so I need to do some correction of my answer here:
    The Pro has been subtracted extra -90 with "sun direction" slider value. If you add 90 with Pro "sun direction" slider value and the sun will match with the same as standard uSky 1.X sun position.
    (I edited the previous post too.)

29. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

unfortunately I can't due Unity 5.3 drops the support of windows xp.

30. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Thank you Very Much :D

31. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

I did some test on newer PCs:
    - Unity 5.2.4 - Issue present only on DX9
    - Unity 5.3 - Issue not present on both (DX9 and DX11)
    It seems that we need dx11 as minimum requirement on Unity 5.2.X.

32. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hi Luckymouse, I just bought Ceto Ocean, and i'm wondering How to set it up with uSky Fog. I probably got it wrong but looks like you said to modify the Sky script that comes with Cetos Ocean, but I cant find any script.

I attached uSkymapRenderer.cs to the uSky component and dragged the Transparent Ocean Material to the slot. But as i'm writing this maybe this is because its transparent shader, prob makes sense. But still I would like to integrate them both :D

Thanx Again Man

Jimbob

33. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Thanks for the test. Unity 5.3 definitely fixed dx9 shader compiler bug. Also the Unity 5.4 will be out soon, the 5.2.X will become legacy.

If there are any reason that you really want to support the ancient windows system with dx9 and using Unity 5.2.X. It seems the only solution that you need replace all shader files with the token "e" : for instance 1.2e5 replace to 120000. or 4e-3 replace to 0.004.[EDIT] Tried, not fixing.

[EDIT]
    BTW, All the execute file that you build from the 5.3.X should run with dx9 just fine.

I don't remember I ever said about "modify the Sky script" comes with Ceto. There are no such modified sky script.

Because uSkyFog (from uSky 1.X) is an image effect and it have the same issue with the transparent shader that we have discussed earlier. So you need to use the "Ocean_OpaqueQueue" prefab, and you may also need to set the "Color Decay" to arround 0.07 to mach up the horizon color between ocean and fog.
    Note uSkyFog is still using single flat color from sky plus the mie scattering from earlier approach, it may not give you very good result between sea level and high/tall object like terrain.

Also the atmospheric scattering of uSkyPro Beta still have some tonemapping and other issue that I have to fix to get better result with Ceto.

The uSkymapRenderer.cs script from uSky1.X is for Ocean-BRDF (legacy) project from scrawk before he released the Ceto. This script is Not for Ceto and it does not need that.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  34. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

I just find a critical bug in uSkyPro:
    When the scene applied with uSkyPro prefab, uSkyboxPro material is completely back and Undo for uSkyPro is not working.
    HotFix:
    1. Open the uSkyPro.cs script (uSky/uSkyPro Beta 2/ Scripts)
    2. Added UpdateMaterialUniform (); in OnEnable () line 144
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     void OnEnable ()
    2.     {
    3.         if (!m_isAwake)
    4.             Awake ();
    6.         SetEnumsAndToggles ();
    7.         UpdateKeywords();
    8.         UpdateMaterialUniform (); // <---- add this code
    9.        .
    10.        .
    11.        .
    3. Save the change. That it is.
    Sorry for the trouble. I will update this in next version v1.1.9f2

[EDIT]
    v.1.1,9f2 is available now

35. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

There is no a real big reason... but losing around 10% (xp users) due a bug (not due a platform limitation) seems a shame.
    The 5.2.X will become legacy sure but there are many developers on this version due some issues or for performance reasons or simply because there are too many opened projects near to conclusion.
    But as positive thing ... there is yet uSky 1 which is still beautiful.

Luckymouse likes this.
  36. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@Luckymouse

Um confused as to your two different folders: uSky 1.x and uSkyProBeta 2. If I want to use clouds, then I need to stick with v1? Or can I combine v1 and 2 to use both features?

37. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Sorry for the confusion. Both version are very different logic and they are not compatible each other. If you wanna use the clouds you have to use the uSky 1.X for now.

38. hierro__

hierro__

Hi, im a Usky afficionados since a long time, and of course im troubling a bit to reconvert all projects with new models.
    Actually i believe it's better to move to 2.0 beta model, since it rely on better logic, i will miss clods as well, and it's ok.
    When you think we could have into 2.0 clouds and other elements from 1.x ?
    Are u planning WebGL compile as well ? (baked options would be the best)

Do you think is better to use1.x for a certain period ? Thank you very much

39. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

If you already have your own script to control uSky1.X, and build your project for WebGL. I suggest you keep that for now.

I believe up to uSkyPro Beta 2 have most of the elements from 1.X already except the new clouds.

The reason the clouds takes so long that I'm trying to do more advance system with some procedural clouds generation. Hopefully it does not need or rely to use the third- party application to generate the clouds texture. I'm also trying the clouds able to do the transition between default to overcast clouds. It will give a sort of basic weather effect. (This need to get ready to synchronize with the future spherical harmonic ambient lighting as well.)

Right now the new clouds is still on "prove of concept" stage. I have not mention the information about new clouds system because in case if that doesn't go well, I will fall back to original uSky 1.X technique. So I can not do to much promising at the moment. Nevertheless new clouds will use the precomputed data (instead of the ambient gradient colour) for clouds colour plus better scattering rendering. Also the clouds need to be ready for up coming lightshafts effect as well. So it is still a lot of work to accomplish all this together. I would say it will take more then couple of weeks or a month to get it done.

For the WebGL build, that is a completely different issue. Due to the WebGL 1.0 does not support the float format of the texture which the precomputed data is using. I need to find a way to work around for that. Other wise we have to wait until WebGL 2.0 becomes standard, and 2.0 will support the float texture.

40. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

@sjm-tech
    I tried to remove all the token "e" in the shader code, but it doesn't seems to fix the bug of editor 5.2.X shader compiler error.
    I believe I can not do much at this point to fix it. If you need to run uSkyPro on dx9, you have to use the editor 5.3.X or higher.

41. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Thanks Luckymouse,
    I will use 5.3.x for the next project.
    Max

Luckymouse likes this.
  42. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Thank you! This was a "feature" I asked for.... I like that we can toggle the "basic" controls or the "realistic" time-of-day type controls. Very convenient and best of both worlds.

Luckymouse likes this.
  43. Vontarga

Vontarga

Hey Lucky Mouse!

Sorry to be so late getting back to you. A while back I reported a "problem" and you offered to help me. We did a careful survey of the lighting in our virtual world and discovered the only "problem" was on our end, and had nothing at all to do with your fine product. uSky is FANTASTIC and hands down the best solutions we have found... and we've spent hundreds of dollars on "sky" products.

Luckymouse likes this.
  44. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Thanks for the new beta.
    I tried all new demos with fog but I didn't see any difference between enabled + disabled fog.
    I use only deferred and Linear. It's too early to have an effect visible?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  45. GameTechnix

GameTechnix

Looks really nice, I might give this a go.

Luckymouse likes this.
  46. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

If you enable fog, then you enable unity fog, and vice versa. if you open the uSky demo scene I have no idea why you didn't see the difference.
    This is the Lighting and FogGradient scene demo:
    uSky-Fog-Gradient.gif
    if you use it on your scene, try to adjust correct the Fog Density to see the effect.

47. roycn

roycn

Hi! I have question, usky can work in mobile ? Have any ocean shader match sky? thx !

48. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

The uSky version 1.X will work on mobile, the uSkyPro skybox mobile version will be available in next coming version. Should be submitted in this week.

Note: the uSkyPro atmospheric scattering image effects is not for mobile, i may try to work it out in future, but not in current version.

Regarding the ocean, you can check out the Ceto Ocean or Playway Water. As i tested that the reflection of Ceto seems working pretty well with uSky. If you need to have the ocean for mobile, you need to ask those ocean/water asset developer for more details.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  49. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I'm using the 2.0 beta, and I had a scene where the sun was already named because of another asset.... I looked for like 10min for the slot to enter which direction light is uSky's "sun"... Am I blind? LOL

50. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Unlike uSky 1.x, the uSkyPro does not have the slot to apply the sun. You just need to apply an uSkySun script to your main directional light in the scene.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    wetcircuit likes this.