Search Unity

uSkyPro – Precomputed Atmospheric Scattering [2.0 Beta]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Luckymouse, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

uSky_New_Version.png v1.1.3f4 Available now

In general, this version has been polished for Unity 5.

uSky 1.1.3f4 Change Log
    =======================
    *******************************************************************************************************************
    NOTE: THIS UPDATE VERSION WILL SUPPORT UNITY 5 ONLY! DO NOT INSTALL IN UNITY 4!
    ********************************************************************************************************************

- Added "namespace uSky" in scripts to prevent conflicts with other third-party code.
    To access the uSky script other then uSkyManager from your custom script that just simply add "using uSky" (with capital "S").

- Added new Unity 5 GUI demo and GUI prefabs.

- Added Tooltip in all the attributes in uSkyManager.

- Improved the Distance cloud supports multiple cameras with different distance far clipping planes. For instance, the main camera far clipping planes is 1500, Reflection probe camera far clipping planes is 400, now they are all render the cloud properly as expected.
    Note: In Unity 5, If you switch Scene window shading mode to "Wireframe", you will see a small hemisphere mesh (it is for the cloud) at zero position of the world. It is completely normal, when you switch back shading mode to "Shade", it will be gone and everything render as normal.

- Optimized the uSkyLight script and improved Ambient gradient setting, the uSkyManager color setting of day time will affect the gradient output for ambient color.
    Also they can be easily reset from the upper corner "gear" icon.

- Improved the rayleigh scattering setting. Balanced the color and brightness when the rayleigh value is more than one.

- Fixed and clean up unnecessary garbage collect cause by "string" of the shader keyword codes in uSkyManager.

- When apply new uSkyManager to a new scene, uSkyManager will try to find the "Directional Light" and automatically attach it as the sun Light.

- Removed the "Ambient Intensity" setting. It was more usefull for Unity 4. However in Unity 5 you will rarely use it, and 99% situation will stay in value 1.
    Of course user can still change it in Ligthing window setting.

- Changed the Longitude Range from (0 ~ 360) to (-180 ~ 180).

- Since this version is not supporting Unity 4 anymore. Some of the uSky codes have been clean up for Unity 5.
    It won't get API update message in Editor when import uSky.

- The uSky folders hierarchy has been Rearranged.

Screen Shot 1.1.3f4.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    SAOTA likes this.
  2. boromir6

boromir6

Amazing update Luckymouse. This fixes the few issues I had with the previous version.

EDIT: uh oh, the distance cloud is now rendering on top of anything else. Any ideas? I'll dig around just in case it's something on my end

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  3. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

Just saw the Outer Space slider. Very great. To summary : it's allow to blend your tools with a standard/classic Skybox. Right?.
    Remenber my previous question?!... :D

4. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

I can think of that issue maybe cause by meta file from the "Hemisphere_Mesh.fbx". Check your import setting of the that fbx file. The Scale Factor and File Scale(grey out) should be both are value 1.
    mesh scale factor.png
    If the File Scale(grey out) is 0.01, then the Scale Factor need to be 100.
    Or try you delete the old or exist uSky folder and reimport the package.

I noticed that Seith fixed the UV of Hemisphere_Mesh. It seems much better to avoid the stretch artefact on the top of the cloud. If you import replacement "Hemisphere_Mesh.fbx", it may replace the meta file too, check the import setting mention above. I will correct that UV issue for next update.
    I may do some different way of the cloud in the future, like directly render inside the skybox.

Just wanna make sure to clarify the term here "Cubemap" vs "Skybox",
    Cubemap (texture):
    uSky skybox will blend the day sky to night sky that uses standard cubemap for outer space texture, it can be replaced by any custom galaxy cubemap for night sky.

Skybox (material):
    If you meant blending the uSky skybox material to other custom skybox material. Technical speaking, it is possible to use the unity API: Material.Lerp to blend two materials, but it is not how uSky design to work in that way.
    Hope my answer that make sense to you.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  5. ZJP

ZJP

This. Thanks you. :cool:

6. Seith

Seith

I just updated to the latest version and unfortunately I can confirm the issue with the cloud system; the clouds appear as if they were at about 5m from the camera. This is kind of an emergency as the asset is completely unusable as is.

Also, the hemisphere still has the UV distortion issue at the top of the dome (as I mentioned in my previous post). I tried replacing the hemisphere file with my own (fixed) version but while the distortion problem is gone, the size is still far too small. And since I can't find the hemisphere gameObject within the scene I can't fix the problem.

7. Seith

Seith

@Luckymouse & @MacMC Alright, I think I got it working. What you need to do is:

1) Import the hemisphere file from my post which fixes the UV distortion issue (overwrite the one included in uSky after you make a backup of it).

2) In the Model import tab of the new hemisphere file, type in 1000 in the Scale Factor field and hit "Apply".

3) Select the uSky game object in your scene. Turn it off (deactivate it in the inspector) and turn it back on.

The clouds will now appear normally behind the scenery. This is of course a temporary solution until @Luckymouse uploads a proper fix.

8. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

When you posted the fixed version of the fbx mesh that I submitted the update package already. So it will be fixed in next update.
    If you replaced the fbx mesh it may replaced the original meta file as i mentioned in last post. Thats why it cause some scale issue.

Actually that is the exact solution that you just posted.

How the Hemisphere_Mesh works that it will auto scale from your camera far clipping plane in shader. But the initial mesh scale and the format has to be correct in the beginning.
    Scale: (Mentioned last post.)
    The Scale Factor and File Scale(grey out) should be both are value 1.
    If the import setting meta file changed: If the File Scale(grey out) is 0.01, then the Scale Factor need to be 100. ( Ratio should be 1:1)
    Format:
    The distance cloud script will re-format the mesh when you load the uSky prefab (OnEnable). When user changed the mesh after the loaded uSky, the mesh will be in unusable format. Thats why when you turn uSky off/on, script will reload and re-format the mesh to correct state again.

In general, I did not expect user should change the original mesh. So the script will be only needed re-format it at load time.

[Edit]
    I noticed many other sky system, after user load the prefab, The scene window has full of sky dome mesh, cloud mesh,....etc in a new scene. It doesn't look very friendly to work on. The reason I designed the mesh that way. The scene window is always clean without any meshes to disturb the user.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  9. Seith

Seith

I see, that makes sense. And I agree that making the hemisphere non-selectable in the scene is probably for the best.

By the way, I just posted an official update on the site with screenshots made using uSky if anyone's interested: http://www.ghostofatale.com/like-day-and-night/

Here's one:

rebit, yezzer, pixelsteam and 2 others like this.
  10. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Question - can uSky do Time of Day (ToD) transition? Like from dawn til dusk?
    What I mean is can it do full realtime day/night cycle?

11. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Yes, uSky can do full realtime day/night cycle. I think the uSky Webplayer will answer your question, right?
    [Edit]
    Do you mean it will play through the Timeline automatically at runtime?
    Answer is still yes, The package includes a simple script "PlayTOD.cs" will do that. Right now It has a simple play speed setting, no world time related.
    uSky_PlayTOD.png

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  12. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

new uSky Scattering Fog preview - Webplayer (5.3mb)
    uSky_Scattering_Fog1.jpg
    uSky_Scattering_Fog2.jpg
    Fog Setting:
    Fog Density = fog amount.
    Color Decay = shifting the scattering color horizon / zenith.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  13. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Pics are beautiful, but I get some ugly noise instead of fog in the demo...
    MacPro
    AMD FirePro D500
    Unity5.0.1 webplayer

Attached Files:

14. boromir6

boromir6

Awesome mouse! Can't wait to see this feature added.

15. SAOTA

SAOTA

exciting.

16. Maxi77

Maxi77

Very nice mouse.

17. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Looks like there have some bug. It is strange, I'm on my Macbook Air too, and It works fine here. I'll check it out whats going on.

18. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Its probably the AMD FirePro. Macbook runs Intel graphic chip or Nvidia.

19. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    SAOTA likes this.
  20. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

well... it's different....

Attached Files:

21. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Ouch:confused:. Looks like it is some sort of depth renderTexture issue. I think i get an idea to fix it.
    Hey wetcicult, later i will sent you a PM for further beta testing, thanks for helping.

Beside that bug, I'm working on the scattering fog for different camera height. I noticed there are some limitation on the camera height. It is little more complicated than i thought. From the Eric Bruneton demo that his world scale have been set up of the earth side (radius at 6360 km). Also the precomputed 3D texture data for all the camera height at the atmosphere, so it works very accurate for all camera position.

The original uSky design that it is only work inside the atmosphere (ground level), which also similar to first layer of the Eric's precomputed 3D data, if the view camera are very up height, which it is near by the atmosphere layer or space, that may not render the fog correctly. Right now the scattering fog is based on unity's Global Fog script. It will only give an approximation fog effect.

After i fixed the bug I want to update this fog feature to store right away. The rotatable night sky will update later.

wetcircuit likes this.
  22. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Here is some more update of the scattering fog feature. I added a horizon offset attribute to control the horizon level. Tested with Horizon[ON]:
    uSky_Horizion.jpg
    uSkyFog_Settings.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  23. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

v1.1.4 Available now
    New feature uSkyFog
    =================
    Usage:
    --------------
    Option 1:
    1, Apply "uSky Fog" script to uSkyManager.
    2, Apply "uSky Fog Camera" script to MainCamera.
    (Scripts locates at: Menu > Component / uSky)
    Note: Modified "uSkyBox_HorzionOffset" skybox material should be apply to uSkyManager as well.

Option 2:
    1, Drag the "uSkyManager_Fog" to the hierarchy window
    2, Apply "uSky Fog Camera" script to MainCamera.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  24. Abzzolum

Abzzolum

Hey, well first i had a problem with the reference of the FogMaterial in the uSkyFog Script, but removing the script and re adding it with the "UskyFogCamera" script already in the scene fixed that.
    But the fog is always on the grey color set in the Lighting Tab, other settings in the fog script like Density etc are affecting it, but not any color. anything i need to look into?

25. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Sorry about that, It seems there are bug, I'm working on it.
    [Edit]
    There must be some problem when exported the package to store.
    Found 2 bugs :
    1. The uSkyGlobalFog Material links with unity built-in GlobalFog shader, not the uSkyGlobalFog.shader.
    2. The uSkyManager_Fog prefab is missing the material link.

How to fix (step by step):
    Bug 1:
    1. Select the uSkyGlobalFog Material (Locate at folder: uSky / Core / Materials /)
    2. Active the Debug mode
    3. Select uSkyGlobalFog shader

FogPrefab_Fix.jpg

Bug 2:
    1, Select uSkyManager_Fog prefab.
    2, Apply the uSkyGlobalFog Material.
    FogMaterial_Fix.jpg

3, Finish. Return the Debug to Normal mode.

[Edit]
    Sorry for the inconvenient.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    SAOTA likes this.
  26. Abzzolum

Abzzolum

Sweet! that was it

Luckymouse likes this.
  27. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

v1.1.4f2 Hot-fix for the uSkyFog issue at the AssetStore now.
    You may need to remove the previous uSky folder (it will clear up the meta files) and restart the Editor.
    Note: The uSkyFog Camera script may need to reconnect in your scene.

[Edit]
    If you are using the scrawk's ocean, I found out that the ocean mesh isn't write to zBuffer. The easiest way to do that just add a fallback code in the bottom ocean shader file:

Code (CSharp):
    1.            .
    2.            .
    3.            ENDCG
    4.            }
    5.       }
    6. FallBack "Legacy Shaders/VertexLit"
    7. }
    Color Decay in uSkyFog setting should be 0.06, so that the fog color will be match the skybox horizon colour.

uSky_Ocean_NoFog.png
    uSky_Ocean_WithFog.png

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    nxrighthere likes this.
  28. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

About the sun position for future update, I have another idea of doing it. I want to make something like Cryengine's sun path system instead of the real world longitude and latitude co-ordinate system. So the sun will not always rise up overhead, it can be offset to lower horizon level.
    Cryengine Screenshot:
    uSky_Sun_Path.jpg

My Question is: Is that good enough for you guys?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  29. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Sounds great! I definitely like the visual approach to sun path preview.

BTW, just a suggestion for you - you should put a few youtube videos up for people to see the features you have in your package - its far easier to see youtube videos than a webplayer as some people might not have access to Unity (some of us check out the Asset Store while at work!) or Unity Web Player (unable to install due to corporate restriction). People might see your asset on Asset Store but because you don't have a video they can't really see it and forgot about it when they go home.....;)

Luckymouse likes this.
  30. rossignol50o

rossignol50o

A CryEngine type solution would be fine. Just need to mess with the sun position! :)

Luckymouse likes this.
  31. Seith

Seith

@Luckymouse Hey I noticed that whenever I switch focus from Unity to another application and then come back to Unity the sky in the scene camera (not the game camera) turns black! And I have to move an object in the scene to get the sky back to normal.

It's not a huge deal but is that something you could fix by any chance? I'm on Windows 8.1, DX11, 5.0.1p1, linear color space. Thanks...

32. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

i updated to last version and now clouds are rendering in front of other distant object, any idea how to fix this?

33. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Sorry for the trouble. However i do need some more detail information, When you say the scene camera turns black, do you mean the skybox turns black? or the scattering fog image effect causes that? or the lighting?

Sorry for the trouble. Please check mesh scale the import setting that described in earlier this page. You may try to delete the uSky folder and re-import the package, it will help to clean up the meta files and may solve that issue.

------------------------------------------------
    [Edit] Other bug:
    I just noticed a uSkymap Shader error on PC : variable 'OUT' used without having been completely initialized

It can be fix just remove the fixed3 color : COLOR; in struct v2f.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.      struct v2f
    2.        {
    3.             float4    pos        : SV_POSITION;
    4. //            fixed3    color        : COLOR;
    5.             float2    texcoord    : TEXCOORD0;
    6.             float2    cloudTC    : TEXCOORD1;
    7.        };

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  34. Seith

Seith

Oh I don't mean the whole scene camera turns black, I mean the sky turns black; the uSky skybox. Not the lighting, not the fog. It's just like the sky is not drawn/refreshed until an object is moved to force the scene to be redrawn. Here's a picture:

And I'm not using the latest uSky version anyway since I already have a custom fog system and I'm a bit scared of mixing the two fogs...

35. Marcurios

Marcurios

i still have problems with the sharp horizon line.
    even with the horizon offset at 0.

things i tried:
    disable clouds, disable nightsky, disable fog, change color gradients..

the conlusion must be that the skyshader doesn't blend the horizon colors smoothly.
    don't pay any attention to the differences in luminosity, i tried different darknesses all around, it's the same everywhere.

no matter what i try, i keep getting that sharp line, at night it is even sharper.

if it has anything to do with the cloudmesh, couldn't you give the lowest vertices alpha ?
    though i doubt that's the entire problem, the colors seem to transit rather harshly too there in the shader.

i think uSky is the best solution for my weather, but that sharp line is rather annoying.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  36. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Thanks for the screenshot, It is more clear for me what i need to fix. I'm working mainly on the Mac and tested on a PC with Window 7. It does not happen that black skybox issue at all by switching the apps. I will investigate it. If this issue ever happen on my computer I will fix it right away.
    Btw, the uSky fog is a separate script component, it won't affect anything if you are using it.

[Edit]
    Hey Seith, can you try to add a code [SerializePrivateVariables] in uSkymanager script, see if that fix the problem.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    2. [SerializePrivateVariables]
    3. [AddComponentMenu("uSky/uSky Manager")]
    4. public class uSkyManager : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    It seems that is the bottom of cloud mesh gives you a sharp horizon edge. At the moment uSky doesn't have attribute to set the "lowest vertices alpha" for the cloud mesh itself. The best way to blend the edge with the skybox that you need to modify the cloud texture to have some sort of black gradient on the texture edge, then "alpha saturate" and "opacity mask" attribute can control the blend level. Hope this solution will help you.

37. yezzer

yezzer

Bought this asset yesterday, and I can't believe I waited so long to buy it. It adds so much to my work. Incredible! 10 minutes of playing around..

Anyway - I have a question. Is it possible to hack in a gradient for colouring the fog by distance, as they do in Firewatch?
    See:

Just wondering.. not essential, would like to add it into something I was playing around with the other day:

rebit likes this.
  38. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Hi yezzer, Thanks and glad you enjoy it.:) The video you posted is really interesting. Very stylish fog effect, i like it.
    I will say yes, it is absolutely possible. Right now the uSkyFog is based on the same skybox colour, but it can be modify with the gradient colour by Zbuffer as well. I will try that in future.

SAOTA likes this.
  39. rossignol50o

rossignol50o

We're finding that there's a dark line added to the edges of a number of distant objects when using the new fog. Definitely something not rendering correctly (works fine with Unity standard fog, but we'd like to use the uSky features!) Any idea what that might be?

Usky

Unity

40. Karearea

Karearea

Just wanted to say I bought this asset after a writeup by the author of A Ghost of a Tale, and it's brilliant. I was looking for a fairly simple improvement on the new default skybox, and this is exactly what I needed. The sunrise/sunset scattering fog is gorgeous. So, thanks!

Seith and Luckymouse like this.
  41. Seith

Seith

I tried adding the line [SerializePrivateVariables] but it doesn't make any difference unfortunately... :(

42. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

My best guess that the artefact causes by the Z-buffer reach the camera far clipping plane, and the camera far clipping plane clips the geometry mesh. Here are some solution you can try see if that help:
    1) Try to increase the camera far clipping plane's value.
    if method 1 did not solve your issue, try option 2 below.
    2) Edit the uSkyGlobalFog shader ( locate at: uSky/ Core/ Shaders)
    change the line (162 ) from (rawDepth == 1.0) to (rawDepth >= 0.999999):
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         // Do not fog skybox
    2.         if (rawDepth >= 0.999999)
    3. //        if (rawDepth == 1.0) // comment this
    4.             fogFac = 1.0;
    You can also try different value, 0.99999 ..etc.
    [Edit]
    On the bottom screenshot that you use the standard fog without the artefact, it is forward rendering, it is different rendering path technique.
    Since uSkyFog is pretty much based on unity GlobalFog image effect script and shader.
    My question is that can you try the unity GlobalFog image effect see if that also give you the same artefact?

I see. At the moment it is hard for me to fix it unless i can replicate the same issue on my computer. I will try something else to solve it.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  43. tomnullpointer

tomnullpointer

hmm clip plane and shader edit didnt work.

However, the camera was forward rendered, switching to deferred seems to have fixed it.
    Though i'm pretty sure that standard unity global fog in forward works fine though (since that bottom screenshot was taken with the same camera as the top).. strange!

44. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Glad to know at lease the deferred mode fix it.
    So Unity GlobalFog in forward mode works without the artefact in your scene?

45. tomnullpointer

tomnullpointer

haha, Yep you are right, unity global fog has the same artefacts when running in forward path, but is fine in deferred.

Luckymouse likes this.
  46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

+1 on firewatch approach... it really adds mood :)

47. Marcurios

Marcurios

i tried it, it smooths it somewhat out a bit, but because of the way the alpha blending works in uSky, i lose a lot of my clouds in the process if i set the opacity mask and alpha sature even a tiny bit higher, can't you use a alpha layer on the texture to regulate alpha blending and keep the cloud detail much more apparent ?

and even then, i still keep a distinct separation between colors on the sky shader, i set the ground and horizon colors the same, but i still have a rather undesired (unnatural) separation there, see screenshot.
    that's because the lowest part of the sky is fairly bright, and then it becomes a lot darker at the horizon line, and it looks off, i think it would be better if the shader blends those colors in a somewhat wider range.

see that i almost got no clouds left here ?
    I only set the alpha regulating values a little bit higher here..

48. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

The blending on the horizon area can be completely control by in the cloud texture. If you lose too much of the cloud detail that mean the length of your gradient distance is too long. How much transparency or blending of the cloud can be control by darkness of the texture.
    Btw, are you using your own cloud texture right? I can't tell by the screenshot.
    You may send me a PM for your cloud texture. I will try to modify your cloud texture to achieve the result you want.
    I think it is better for me to demonstrate how cloud texture works for you.

The screenshot you posted that I assume that you are talking about the night sky here. The brightness of the lowest part of the sky that control by the "Night Horizon Color", You can make it brighter or darker if you want. The ground colour (bottom half of the skybox) will automatically turn dark at night, so that it will render the correct skybox ambient lighting during the night. The ground color setting does not really affect too much at night.
    I will try to improve the blending between upper sky and ground level (horizon area) more softly and natural look in future.

49. Marcurios

Marcurios

i understand what you said about the texture, no need to edit it for me, i'm a pro when it comes to textures.
    it's the shader department i'm not very well versed in, texturing and modelling is my second nature.

My gradient distance is very short, cause i didn't want to lose to much of my horizon clouds, but i didn't alter the brightness of my textures, so i will give that a try, i also notice that i don't need to use any alpha blending feature after i darkened the horizon a bit on my textures, the blending was pretty good, it is indeed the blending between ground level and upper sky level that i have problems with, so if you can improve that i will be very happy, that's the only thing that bugs me, for the rest, i think uSky is absolutely marvelous, so thanks for the wonderful asset.

keep up the good work !

Luckymouse likes this.
  50. TrippyDippyDip

TrippyDippyDip

Hi wonder if any one can help me on this

Bought uSky a while back but only got around to using it now,thanks for such a great asset, love the day/night cycle and looking to add a ingame clock in order for the player to see what time it is, I've tried a few things but unfortunately it's all not working, would anybody have an idea how to do achieve a simple clock using Unity Gui and the uSky's timeline

Thanks for any assistance