Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Using multicompile with includes

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Noisecrime, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Hi,

Has anyone had any success mixing multi-compile with cginc includes? Its not working for me, but frustratingly if i comment out the multi-compile line and replace it with a simple define the exact same code works great.

For example
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #pragma multi_compile SKINNERMODE_MATRIX, SKINNERMODE_MATRIXPACKED
    3. #ifdef SKINNERMODE_MATRIXPACKED
    4.             #include "Assets/GPUSkinner/Shaders/FrameworkIncludes/SkinnerLib_MatrixPacked_F4.cginc"  
    5. #endif
    7. #ifdef SKINNERMODE_MATRIX
    8.             #include "Assets/GPUSkinner/Shaders/FrameworkIncludes/SkinnerLib_MatrixM44_M44.cginc"          
    9. #endif
    fails with various 'pipe' errors e.g 'Error waiting for read external process: The pipe has been ended.'

whilst
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #define SKINNERMODE_MATRIXPACKED
    3. #ifdef SKINNERMODE_MATRIXPACKED
    4.             #include "Assets/GPUSkinner/Shaders/FrameworkIncludes/SkinnerLib_MatrixPacked_F4.cginc"  
    5. #endif
    7. #ifdef SKINNERMODE_MATRIX
    8.             #include "Assets/GPUSkinner/Shaders/FrameworkIncludes/SkinnerLib_MatrixM44_M44.cginc"          
    9. #endif
    works fine.

I've tried numerous variations, tried adding all the includes and then checking the defines in the cginc files themselves etc and it just never works. Starting to think multi-compile is some how special compared to just using a define and is thus doing something different.

Yet if i leave the multi-compile line in and then add a define for the first value in the multi-compile then Unity complains that the same value has been defined twice, so there shouldn't be any difference between them

Anyone got any ideas?

2. drudiverse

drudiverse

sounds like obscure syntax, were there no results for multicompile and includes example shaders, when searching codewords for unity codes from pastebin etc?

3. metaleap

metaleap

IIRC you can also use #if instead of #ifdef with multi_compile -- tried that too?

4. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Yep, searched the internet no luck.

I started using ifdef when I found checking for Unity defines such as UNITY_COMPILER_HLSL2GLSL would fail, at least I think it was that, something made me switch to ifdef.

Tried switching back to plain #if, no luck, though I get different errors, unmatched #endif.

I just don't understand. As I said replace the multi-compile with a simple define and everything works great. So it must be something special with multi-compile. Tried in 4.3.4 and 4.5.0 no luck. So frustrating as it means i'll have to hand code dozens of shaders ;(

FYI
    In Unity 4.3.4 using pragma multi-compile I get the error 'Shader compilation produced no results (compiler crashed?)'.
    In Unity 4.5.0 I get various pipe and file errors.

In all cases commenting out multi-compile and using define works great.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  5. drudiverse

drudiverse

could be faster work wise to just make 2 materials and switch them, it's maybe 1 draw call of difference. hope there is an answer to this though.

6. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

My code was just an example to show the problem. Its not an issue about materials, drawcalls or switching.

I have 5 different input modes for supplying the data (I just showed two in the example) each with two or three different algorithms that work on the data, all of which would need to work for standard Unity shader types (diffuse, specular, bumpdiffuse, bumpspec, reflection .. etc), so the actual permutations become pretty big. Using multi-compile was an attempt to reduce the sheer number of shader versions i'd have to write by hand.

7. drudiverse

drudiverse

8. drudiverse

drudiverse

did you try testing multicompile with the built in .cginc to see if there is the same error, if it's affected by file path? http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-BuiltinIncludes.html
    sounds too advanced for me, i am curious about what code constructs you are arranging, multi compiles with different cginc's sounds like alot of code being permutated.

9. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

That's true, i've found the same thing, i'd even go as far as suggesting that no pragma's may exist in include files, since none that I've happened to try have worked (e.g. only_renderers or exclude_renderers).

I don't think file path has any bearing though.
    For now I guess i'll just have to accept that multi-compile simply doesn't work correctly when trying to use its defines to decide which includes to add.

10. metaleap

metaleap

If you can reproduce this in a very simple setup (just color shader, two includes, two multi_compile options) then I'd say submit a bug report.. you can also try this workaround ---which, based on your observations, should work--- to "just get on with it":

Code (csharp):
    2. #pragma multi_compile MC_ONE MC_TWO
    4. #if MC_ONE
    5.   #define INC_ONE 1
    6. #elif MC_TWO
    7.   #define INC_TWO 1
    8. #endif
    10. #if INC_ONE
    11.   #include "one.cginc"
    12. #elif INC_TWO
    13.   #include "two.cginc"
    14. #endif

11. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Yeah I will submit a bug when I get a chance.

Nice try with that workaround, but it was one of the many things I tried before posting here ;)

12. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

OMG I've fixed it! At least I think so, it all compiles without warnings now.

My mistake?

The bloody comma in between the names defined in #pragma multicompile!

metaleap likes this.
  13. Troas

Troas

I'll be damned if I could understand any shader theory that was going around in this thread (pretty new to the stuff) but the fact that the answer was a mistake like this tickles me lol.

Nice work anyways would be cool to see some screens of the results?