Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Using material for commercial use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jesse_Pollanen, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Jesse_Pollanen

Jesse_Pollanen

This is for games in general, and I think this question is not for Unity forums, but I'd like to get answer here, if possible.

So, if I make a game, and I want to use (for example) a little sound effect, that's not made by me, can I still use my game for commercial use? I know this question is bit silly, but let me explain:

For example, when I played Telltale Games's The Walking Dead, I recognized a screaming sound that was ALSO used in a shooting game from 2004 (can't remember the name though...) Small things like that. Have they paid to use them or something, if not, are they breaking the copyright law? Because if not, I could use sound effects as well and download seamless textures from Google Images as much as I want...?

I'm sorry, but I'm really out with this. I know that using a bigger material (for example a whole song etc.) is breaking the copyright law, but where's the line going then?

If I get a reply = Thank You! :)

2. drewradley

drewradley

Depends on the license agreement. Unless you have specific permission (as spelled out in the EULA) then you can't even use it in non commercial games.

3. Jesse_Pollanen

Jesse_Pollanen

Ohh.... Ok, thanks!

4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

There are several big audio libraries available for sound fx and clips. Often you will hear similar sounds in games like that because they purchased the same libraries.

NomadKing likes this.
  5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yep. Generally speaking, you can't take a piece of someone else's work and use it in your own without permission, now matter how small it may be.

NomadKing likes this.
  6. DallonF

DallonF

Would that scream happen to have been the Wilhelm Scream? Because that particular sound effect is basically a running gag in the entertainment industry, and I don't believe it has any license or copyright attached to it.

7. Jesse_Pollanen

Jesse_Pollanen

No, not that one. Though I know it's pretty common sound, and that I've heard it elsewhere. By writing this I remember where I've heard it too. Screaming starts at 1:16. Link: