Search Unity

Using database in Unity (Help!)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by supergator, Apr 25, 2015.

1. supergator

supergator

I need help. Badly.

I have created a BIM (building information model) using Autodesk Revit and have imported it (via 3DS Max) into Unity 3D. Now I want users of the Unity model to be able to access information regarding building components within the model. For example, if the user wanted to know the specifications (manufacturer, model #, finish, etc) for a specific light fixture, he could click on the object and a pop-up type window would display that information.

Because the sheer volume of information for all the various building components is voluminous, it would not be practical to include the data directly in the code (I don't think). However, the information is available in a database format.

What I am hoping that I can do is link the various building components within the Unity model to the database file. When the user clicks on an object, Unity accesses the database and displays the correct and relevant information.

Is this possible? How would I do it? Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.