Search Unity

Use VR headset outside of play mode.

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Marc-Saubion, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Hi everyone.

For few weeks now I've been working on a VR project. A significant part of my job consists in modifications of the scene following producers and artists directions in order to refine our work. To do that, they are using the VR headset so they can appreciate the adjustments in real time and give feedback from the proper perspective.

The problem is, to look at my work in VR, I need to press play which means that my changes are lost every time I exit play-mode. So we have to work step by steps with me stopping and restarting play-mode all the time. This starts to be inconvenient for everyone since I have to redo everything while my colleague is temporary cut from the experience.

It is also an issue when I'm working alone for things like camera effects: I have to press play to be able to see the result, refine my settings, and then screenshot it so I can do it over again in editor.

Has anyone managed to have the VR camera work in the editor?

2. alexchesser

alexchesser

hey - it's really early / experimental right now - and I'm can't vouch for it myself but the Editor.XR might be for you.

I'm looking at trying to get it running for myself at the end of my current project

https://forum.unity.com/forums/editorxr.126/ is the forum

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/EditorXR is the code with the GETTING STARTED section

In theory having this available would SAVE a ton of time, but for me right now figuring out if it works at all would take time I'd regret spending if I wound up being wrong. Classic catch 22. :)

Once the current dust settles I'll be digging in to see if I can use it. It's exciting if real.

Here's the 2017 siggraph demo of people actually using the EditorXR warning: it's *really* cool

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  3. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Thanks for your anwser @alexchesser. I'm in the same situation as you, interested by that feature but don't have time to spend on a beta that might be discontinued at any time.

I wish Unity would stop half making things.