Search Unity

uScript - Professional Visual Scripting Power for Everyone

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by uScript, Jan 28, 2016.

1. uScript

uScript

uScript_Logo_org-shdw.png
    What is uScript?
    Used by thousands, uScript is THE premium visual scripting tool for serious Unity developers and has been battle tested by companies big and small for the past 8 years in Unity 3, Unity 4, Unity 5, Unity 2017, Unity 2018, and now Unity 2019.

Used by individuals on games such as The Novelist (scripted entirely with uScript!) and small indie teams like the developers of Punch Club, to large studios such as Glu, Microsoft, Activision, THQ, Inxile Entertainment, and most recently Blackbird Interactive on their recent title Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, uScript allows non-technical people to script, explore, and bring their ideas to life.

Try it for FREE here.

Why Use uScript?
    uScript’s whole purpose is to empower those at any technical level to easily prototype ideas, implement ship-able features, or even create entire games without the need for being a programmer.

uScript was developed by industry veterans with a combined 80 years of direct experience with developing and supporting visual scripting systems on a variety of products and game engines over the years at “AAA” studios and on award winning products such as System Shock 2, Thief, Red Faction, Darkwatch, Deadly Creatures, Skylanders and many more.

uScript contains best-in-class and exclusive features such as:
    • Team of experienced "AAA" game developers with years of prior visual scripting development experience.
    • Over 8 years of constant development and daily support.
    • Robust documentation
    • Fully extensible through our SDK
    • Serious features for serious team development:
      • True C# script output - so no run-time interpreter is needed making it very cross-platform friendly with no extra overhead (RAM or CPU) at run-time.
      • A file/data system that allows for forward compatibility (any graph made in any version of uScript over the last 8 years can be loaded and updated in the newest version).
      • Node update/deprecation/refactoring - any changes to custom nodes you make at any point in development will not break existing graphs and allow for interactive updating to new versions—with data preserved (as mentioned below).
      • Data preservation - if your custom nodes or node inputs do change, your graphs are still loadable and existing game data is preserved. This is critical for an evolving product so that you don’t paint yourself into corners.
      • Tight source control integration with Unity and supported source control systems.
      • Studio site licensing discounts and per-project and studio-wide source code options.
    Asset Store Links:

GraphExample-800w.png

ultrawide-unity-setup-800w.png

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. uScript

uScript

uScript News

New Build Available!
    The latest build (v1.1.3133) of uScript has been released for all versions on November 27th, 2019!

uScript build v1.1.3133 is out!

This version adds some new node palette hotkeys for keyboard aficionados. Use alt+C to display the Contents panel in the node palette window, alt+N to display the Nodes palette, and alt+M to focus on and place the cursor in the search field (if you are having issues using the shortcuts, make sure you click in the uScript tab bar or canvas background). It also adds some new texture comparison nodes, enhances the toggle node and adds support for proper export of localized/international number formats.

Please see our Release Notes page for more information.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  3. uScript

uScript

uScript Showcases

Tacoma
    Congratulations to our friends at Fullbright for their recent decision to use uScript once again for their latest in-development title, Tacoma.

See their announcement trailer here!

tacoma.png

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Congratulations to our friends at Blackbird Interactive for recently shipping Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak!

Blackbird Interactive used uScript Professional as a key tool in the development of the game. It was released on January 20th.

See their announcement trailer here!

Homeworld-Deserts-of-Kharak-Download.jpg

Punch Club
    Congratulations to Lazy Bear Games on releasing Punch Club! One of their team members, Svyatoslav Cherkasov, was kind enough to mention us in a recent Gamasutra article. Quotes include:

"the heart of our in-game scripting/cut-scenes/quests."
    and
    "uScript is a fantastic tool for visual coding."

PunchClub.jpg
    Gone Home
    Congratulations to our friends at The Fullbright Company for shipping Gone Home!

uScript Professional was largely used to script during the development of the game.

gonehome.png

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  4. yoyobbi

yoyobbi

5. uScript

uScript

We have just released an update to uScript to support the latest Unity 5.4 beta builds. See our News post above in this thread for more info.

6. Elzean

Elzean

hey just wondering why you added that unity 6 will not be supported ? Is it because something that will change with unity or your team doesn't want to support it further ?

7. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Unity has a visual scripting tool on the works, maybe it'll be release with unity 6. For that reason, I assume most people will want to use the built in tool instead of third party plugins. Therefore not many reasons to support their plug in (which is awesome btw) in unity 6.

theANMATOR2b and Elzean like this.
  8. PigChop

PigChop

Hey!

I was just wondering if there was an agreement/terms & conditions with uScript? Can someone make a script/game/extension with uScript and sell it on the Asset Store?

9. uScript

uScript

Hello Elzean,
    Just wanted to update you that we are indeed going to continue supporting uScript into the foreseeable future. Read more here: http://uscript.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4247

10. uScript

uScript

Hi PigChop,
    You could make a runtime script/game/extension and include the uScriptRuntime.dll and any runtime node scripts, but you cannot include the uScriptEditor.dll. In other words, your customer should not be able to run the uScript editor by downloading and importing your asset store package.

11. URAwesome

URAwesome

HI uScript crew! Thank you again for making uScript. I hope it continues to evolve. Please include my app in your 'made with list' which was 50% written in uScript - 'Posetastic!' is the app now on iPad Appstore. Get in touch if you need any further details or examples etc. Also I've just done my first Twitch stream and will be doing regular uScript session - perhaps it's something you guys could do officially as it will definitely create more buzz.

Kind regards,
    Mark

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  12. uScript

uScript

Hi Mark,

Can you post a link to the uScript streams you are doing and possibly pass along any other info on the app that you would like highlighted? I can include the first app store image and a link to the app store page, but I am not sure what else.

13. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@uScript Could I ask what is the difference between the 3 versions of uScript? It doesn't seem to be explicitly stated anywhere. Thank you.

14. uScript

uScript

Hello Ben-BearFish,

The Pro version is the most fully-featured version, of course. It has the tool + all the custom coded nodes + reflected nodes + breakpoint debugging. The Basic version does not include breakpoint debugging or reflected nodes. The Personal Learning Edition (PLE) has all the feature of Pro, but also shows a watermark when you play the game and is not meant to be used commercially.

15. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@uScript I read on the uScript website that most of the developers of this plugin have moved on, except for one, and I was weighing my options on whether to get this plugin or not. Realistically, I was wondering if the plugin be supported in the future, or will it go open source at some point?

16. uScript

uScript

That is correct and I am that one developer that stayed on (it was an amicable split). I plan on supporting it for the foreseeable future. :)

Up until a few days ago, I was also helping out on a project with the developers that left (check out the game here - http://store.steampowered.com/app/577360/Luna_and_the_Moonling/) - now that I will start having more free time, I plan to get back to adding actual features and some new tutorials - it won't happen overnight since I'm just one person, but it will happen.

Also, you can check the forums at https://uscript.net/forum/ - I am Tonez and I respond to every question, usually within 24 hours or less.

17. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    I have few questions :
    1) Does uScript generate pure C# code ?
    2) Does require any dll to include in the build ?
    3) Can generate the node diagram from existing c# Code ?
    Thanks

18. uScript

uScript

Hello Antonio!

1) Yes.
    2) Yes - a small runtime dll.
    3. No, unfortunately.

Thank you!

antoripa likes this.
  19. wolfen231

wolfen231

Hi.

So in order to redistribute the pure C# code I have to use a dll? Or is it possible to say... make very small scripts that I want to just send to some one as pure C#?

Can you point me to any documentation on this feature?

Cheers

20. uScript

uScript

Hello wolfen231,

As stated in the previous answer, you do need to distribute a small runtime dll with any C# code that is exported from uScript. In terms of working in Unity, this should not be a problem since everyone on your team will have uScript because it is in your project.

Thanks!

21. wolfen231

wolfen231

Well... I just think it's odd a dll needs to go with it if its claiming full c# output. If it was... wouldn't it not need a DLL? This was the primary reason I was taking interest in this, but knowing that I need to jump through some hoops (include a dll) I've kind of been turned off by it. For example, I was considering using this as something to build rules for Dungeon Architect. Something id of enjoyed sharing with others. But that's not really feasible if i have to include a dll for that.

Edit: I guess my point is... your claim is a bit misleading. Even if it is technically accurate, it should probably be stated that it's needed and that it's not generating "stand alone code that you can just use with out requirements". Because as it stands... it does have a requirement. A dll.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  22. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I'll piggy back on what @wolfen231 stated - I'm not a customer but I keep uScript on my wishlist for this exact purpose. In the future when I'm working on a larger game I'd like to share code generated from my visual scripts with my programmer professional friends - so they can 'read' what I have created without having to dig into a scene graph/fsm.

If I have to include a dll which (requires) uScript to be installed - how can I accomplish this?
    It seems this feature is basically useless to 'share' code with programmers who do not have uScript. Please correct if this is not the case.

Maybe you can clarify @uScript - how can a non-coder 'share' C# generated code with a programmer that does not have uScript installed?

23. uScript

uScript

Thanks for the feedback guys. Fair points all around. The dll is just a collection of small bookkeeping/helper classes that we use here and there in some of the C# node code that we give to all uScript users that we've accrued over time. As an example, one of the classes is responsible for sending out broadcast custom events - we found that Unity's broadcast SendMessage calls were not as flexible and a little more expensive than we would have liked, so we built our own messaging module and put it in that dll. Unfortunately, this means that those specific custom event nodes require the dll and you will get compile errors without it when your graphs contain certain nodes. The main idea behind touting the "raw C#" capability was that we could say things like, "if Unity still supports C# on platform X, uScript exported code will run on platform X" - in other words, there would be little/no need for us to update (or force users to update) exported uScript graphs just because you updated to the latest version of Unity (there are rare cases where this doesn't hold true and in which we get a fix out while they are still in beta, but for the vast majority of cases, we can still say this).

@theANMATOR2b - regarding reviewing exported code - uScript was originally built with the goals of a) being an easily accessible way for non-technical users to build game functionality, b) exporting C# code for the reasons listed above, and c) working around how Unity uses GUID references to maintain it's component attachments. Because of c), the code uScript exports isn't necessarily the most academically useful tool for learning to write idiomatic code. From what I've seen, there are plugins on the asset store that have this as their goal and might be a better fit for your needs, if that is your intent.

theANMATOR2b and wolfen231 like this.
  24. wolfen231

wolfen231

Well that explains that. Just wish we could get one that doesn't require anything else and just plops out actual script that you can distribute, regardless of it's legibility.

25. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

OK - Thanks for clearing that up. Yes you are correct regarding other tools - but I'm partial to your workflow (and Playmaker), your documentation and tuts are great! I understand now how I misinterpreted the instruction documents.

@wolfen231 I think Nottorus does this - but (imo) it is not as user friendly for "non-technical" artist types, after several hours of research. It's more aligned as a fsm/state machine for programmers.
    From invisible writing on the wall it looks to me like Unity might be working towards acquiring/incorporating Bolt. I don't know if bolt has that ability - I've not used it, but would be nice in regards to putting all us non-coders on the same track.

wolfen231 likes this.
  26. wolfen231

wolfen231

It does not. Though they have said one day they would like to. I kind of agree with your Bolt suspicions too. "GET BOLT WITH UNITY PLUS!!!" every few days. lol

Bolt's ok. But I was hoping uScript was the answer. I like it's "kismet" look as well. Ill check out Nottorus, but I want a c# export like I was thinking uScript was doing. Seems like uScript is the closest thing to it though. I know Epic has been doing a C++ exporter for their Blueprints. Not sure how well that's coming along though.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  27. Defragmenter

Defragmenter

What will be the future of uScript?
    There is no suitable replacement for it in the store, and people like me are still using it for our projects, and we are stuck with Unity 2019.

28. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Probably a waste of time since Visual Scripting is included in core Unity since 2021.X

29. Defragmenter

Defragmenter

There is Visual Scripting (Bolt) in Unity, and I tried it, but unfortunately, it is not deep as uScript.
    My question was very specific, and you didn't give any answer.

30. uScript

uScript

Hello all! Sorry for the long period of silence. An announcement on the present/future of uScript has been made on the forum at: https://uscript.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4646.

TLDR; uScript is now open source. :) @Defragmenter, hopefully this will be helpful for you and others who are stuck on a particular version (however, some coding may be needed to bring uScript up to date/usable with current Unity versions).