Search Unity

uRecord - Record gameplay in full HD and beyond! [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WellFiredDevelopment, Jun 2, 2013.

1. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

$Icon128.png

uRecord : Asset Store Link
    Grab the free version : http://www.wellfired.com/urecord.html#ove-versions

Overview

uRecord is a recording plug-in for Unity. It allows the user a simple one click recording process, rendering straight from the editor to a video file. uRecord is a framerate independent recording solution, which means you can render out your game at a full HD resolution at a silky smooth 60, even if your hardware cannot support it!

Create WOW worthy advertisement materials with a single click!
    uRecord is the only solution that allows you to go from In-Game to In-Video in a single click!

key features:​
    • Record your game at full HD resolution, with a silky smooth frame-rate! on practically any computer.
    • Easy to use, single click recording.
    • Full support for user defined presets.
    • Cross platform support, record straight out of the editor.
    • Full access to all raw assets, video compilation process is optional, if you have the tools and know-how to do it yourself!

Recorded with uRecord:

A small example of the quality you might expect to capture from uRecord!

Example
    An example video output with uRecord's One-Click video creation process (Enable HD, or follow the direct link for the best viewing experience)

This was recorded on a 2009 13 inch entry level Mac Book :

Feel free to get in touch with any comments, suggestions!

Enjoy,
    Well Fired.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. nuverian

nuverian

Hey thanks a lot! That seems very cool :)

3. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey,

I'm glad you're interested, I'll be sure to post here when the package is live, but for now, feel free to try out the free version, linked in the original post.

:)

4. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey guys,

uRecord is now available for you to buy in the Asset Store! Remember, you can always try the beta if you're unsure before you buy.

Happy Recording!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  5. tabor

tabor

Hey Well Fired-

Great work! Testing out right now and am going to buy it tonight.

2 notes for you:

-You should mention in the docs that checking 'run in background' in the player settings, will also allow you to render in uRecord without Unity being the active window.

-I've noticed some image changes between the game view 1920x1080 and an uRecord-ed frame at 960x540 w/ upscale=2. The amount of bloom from bloom image effect increases and everything gets a fine grid texture. See below:
    $urecord bloom.png
    EDIT: open the image in a new tab to view full size to see what I mean better.

For now, I have found that rendering @ 960x540 with upscale = 4 or 8, and then batching the image sequence in Photoshop to 1920x1080 seems to make the grid texture barely noticeable. Although rendering at upscale 4 or 8 makes my computer act as if it is about to crash and takes much longer.

And for the bloom I can guess-and-check changing the values in compensate for the increase, but that is not ideal when trying to get the image just so.

Hope that helps and your tool!

6. tabor

tabor

Ah, one more. Seems to be using a low res texture on my skybox (4096, trilinear=9, I tried mot MIP=on and MIP=off).
    The other arrow point to the grid pattern again, which you can see on the resized 8x upscale seems to take care of.
    $skybox.png
    open in new tab to see detail

7. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

Thank you so much for all this information, I can understand why the grid effect is appearing, although I didn't think it would. I could potentially do something about this, at least I hope so, though I have a small suspicion the issue lies within Unity's code. I'll have to do some investigation. Thanks for the pointer!

I still hope you're enjoying uRecord and that you're getting what you need from it.

I will add a note about the run in background flag. I guess users don't want to be forced to watch the thing they're rendering out :)

Regards,
    Well Fired

8. Ben Blaut

Ben Blaut

Ah you got me all excited, I thought you had figured out how to record without slowing the game down while doing it. Nonetheless, nice tool; I've written one almost exactly like this (although I think you've found a better ffmpeg command, and your interface is nicer than mine).

9. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear positive feedback. If you've got potential new version feature requests, be sure to let us know.

Regards.

10. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi,:p
    Awesome tool.
    Can u tell me it's re-code 4k or 8k ;) or it's depend on graphic card.:confused: or anything eles

regards,
    Play-edu

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  11. tabor

tabor

Would it be possible to save the PNGs with transparency?

12. gridside

gridside

What's the limitations of free version? thanks.

13. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

here's a great suggestion, why don't you add a link to your product on the asset store. Do you know how to add a link?

14. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Oh Snap! Burn. You got me.

It's been updated, cheers!

Regards,
    Terry

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  15. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello gridside, thanks of the enquiry. The free version is fully featured, however there will be a small watermark in the bottom corner, so if you're unsure about if this package will meet your needs, it's always worthwhile trying the free version first!

If you find it doesn't meet your needs, it would be great to know what we could do to improve the package.

Regards,
    Terry

16. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Play-edu,

The tool does depend on the graphics card in some way, since it has to render the output to texture, the images are not re-code and are actually rendered at the desired size (hence the in-editor slowdown :)).

If you're unsure about if this package will meet your needs, it's always worthwhile trying the free version first!

Regards,
    Terry

17. Yokai

Yokai

Awesome, I'm doing some video using Unity and while scenes run as expected in realtime, I kept getting serious FPS drops when recording. Doesn't solve the actual FPS issue but my videos look great! Thanks a lot.

18. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Yokai,

The FPS issues are an unfortunate side effect, but as you said, the output videos (should) look perfect. If you've ever got anything to share, I'd love to see it :)

Regards,
    Terry

19. Yokai

Yokai

Unfortunately stuff is under NDA for the time being, but I'll try to drop something as works goes on.

20. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

I recently bought your package. It is very useful for the project I want to use it. However I found it is limited to exporting PNG only and even when I take it to editing software the image sequence is not as expected.

21. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

Happy to hear you like uRecord, we've just added support for recording up to 120 FPS, so if it would be useful to you, we could also add other texture output formats, before we submit.

What would you like to see supported in uRecord?

Regards,
    Terry

22. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi,

Thanks for reply. When I import PNG in my editing software, they do not play properly. This may be because the sequence (numbering) is not proper.

I also want a feature where either recording should start as I click on Play button of unity editor or on playing recording button it should start playing my game. Because if I have to press two buttons then frame sequence number issue comes.(Or if possible let me know how I can add the recording button function in usequence so that I can add it in uSequencer)

Dev

23. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

24. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

I think the feature you describe here is key.

If we enable auto record on play, your sequences won't get out of order. This shouldn't be a big deal. We could also add an event to uSequencer to do this same functionality, though I'm not sure you'd need the event if uRecord provided the auto record option.

Could you please email us at support@wellfired.com and we will send you the new package as soon as possible.

Does this mean you don't need support for other image formats?

Regards,
    Terry

Play_Edu likes this.
  25. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

26. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Hi! Is it possible to record without the mouse cursor using this?

27. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello yuriythebest,

Would you still need to see the cursor whilst playing the game?

Regards,
    Terry

28. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Hi! Yes - apple just introduced a requirement to submit HD preview videos with the apps - we hope to imitate what the iOS user will see (no cursor) but while we are recording we should still see the cursor since we have to press the buttons and stuff

29. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

We're currently adding a bunch of new features to uRecord, I'll get this in A.S.A.P.

Regards,
    Terry

30. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Thanks for reply.

31. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

thanks!

32. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello! We've just submitted our latest version of the Unity Asset Store,

This update includes auto recording on entering Play Mode and an increase in maximum framerate capture (up to 120 FPS)!

It should hopefully be available soon!

Regards,
    Terry

33. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

This update is now live! :)

Regards,
    Terry

34. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Made using uSequencer and uRecord

An amazing Asset Previews created with the help of uSequencer and uRecord, check it out here:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  35. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone!

We've just updated our free version to include the same fixes that are in the released version, including various fixes for video creation on Windows.

Same trial link as always! : Versions

Regards,
    Terry

36. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi,

I am trying to export png from urecord but having issue with alpha. Some how I am not able to include alpha in png. Do I need to save it separately?

Dev

37. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

38. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Sorry deviant_xprt, I didn't get any notifications about this post, for future, you can always contact me through email support@wellfired.com or on our website www.wellfired.com

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by trying to export Alpha? Is it that when you render your video, you're having issues with the Alpha?

Could you post a screenshot of what you get and what you expect?

Regards,
    Terry

39. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey!

We've just pushed a version of uRecord for Unity 5.0, for anyone using unity 5.0, it should be accepted and good to go soon!

- Terry

40. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Hi Again! Does this record sound?

41. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

Currently just Video, but we're looking into recording directly from the audio device (Though this is only possible in Unity 5.0).

- Terry

42. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey guys,

A unity 5.0 version of uRecord as well as the older version for Unity 4.2 is now available on the asset store! Check it out! :)

- Terry

43. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hi, I just discovered a funny issue with uRecord. I'd reset the capture speed in a different project from 60fps to 30fps. when I opened a different project my scene changed its overall speed. Animator played at twice the speed, etc.... Not recording, just playing the scene.... Setting the preference to capture at 60fps fixes the timing issue.

44. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

Could you have a look at your scene and see if you have an uRecord object in your scene? (Could be that it's accidentally spawning and setting the framerate :))

- Terry

45. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I don't see anything in the hierarchy, if that is what you mean? (I have edited the scene and project since, if I am able to recreate the issue I will try to document it better).

46. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Ah, I wasn't sure if it would resolve itself, sorry about that! If it does happen again, keep your eye out for a uRecord object in the Unity Hierarchy, it will just be in the root. If that's the issue, you can simply delete the Game Object.

In the mean time, I will investigate the code for potential issues.

As an aside, we've just submitted a new version of uRecord to the asset store, this version comes with a progress bar! :)

- Terry

47. gianniskarmas

gianniskarmas

Please add alpha channel support in the exported pngs.
    Many Thanks

48. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello gianniskarmas,

Can you provide me an example / sample of what you'd like with alpha channel support?

- Terry

49. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Here is a basic scene with the background color set to alpha 0%...

When I capture with another tool (Syphon) to PNG, the background is transparent.
    alpha.png

When I capture with uRecord the background is not transparent.
    noalpha.png

50. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey wetcircuit,

This is a perfect example, I see exactly what you mean. OK, I will look into this A.S.A.P.

Thanks again for the reference.

- Terry